Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family holiday, 2 beginners, 1 skiiers, 1 snowboarder HELP

Poster: A snowHead
We want to go on a family holiday to Austria. I am an intermediate snowboarder but my brother is an intermediate skiier. My parents are both novices and want to learn to ski when they're out there. Can skiiers and snowboarders easily use the same runs and is it safe for us to do so, i am 17 and my brother is 14, we are both confident and able on the snow as we have been before but we were with school parties and instructors before. Any help or advice on if this trip is possible would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Ally, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead

Yes no problem skiing/boarding together, and I'm sure if you give as a little more information about when you're thinking of going, someone here will advise you on the best resorts (the likes of Alpbach is popular with the British and suitable for beginners as well as intermediates, but low altitude means you have to go early...)

Tell us more!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Ally, welcome to Snowheads, there’s no need to be worried about mixed sports or mixed skills. Almost any Austrian resort (or for that matter anywhere else) will be fine for a mixed abilities group. DB has always recommended St.Anton and if you send the Ice Queen a PM she has a long history of Austrian skiing and I’m certain there’ll be loads of suggestions from the rest of this crowd.

Your only real decision is the type and style of après-ski fun you and your family are up for. The choices being between exposing your brother to things his tender years may not be able to cope with and/or being embarrassed by the antics of your parents – Oh, and there’s not an Austrian alive who doesn’t know how to PARTY HARD!

Have fun . . .
snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Ally, welcome to snowHeads!

Though some would say that skiers and boarders should be kept on seperate pistes, there's no inherent reason why u shouldn't slide together. I've often spent time in mixed discipline groups and everyone's got on fine. There will likely be certain pistes that are unpopular with boarders because of little uphill bits on them and boarders often want to hang in the park or build jumps which are a bit more intimidating on skis.
Probably the biggest risk area is around your parents. If they haven't skied before, it''ll take a few days before they can get off the nursery slopes and cramp your style by hanging out with u on the blue runs Wink .
It's just that some of the most tense situations I've seen on piste have been around parents having difficulty keeping up with their kids.

If they are cool with u and your brother looking after each other on the hill, the 2 of u can clock up some decent blue/red run miles while they find their feet on easier stuff. All meet up 4 lunch every day(well that's where parents are at their best of course) and once they get going u can generously accompany them up the hill and show them what u have discovered.

Remember ski school is designed for this purpose. Get them to take morning lessons and not only will they have people of the same standard to ski with every morning but they'll be garunteed out of your hair till lunch.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ally, you want a nice friendly resort where you can have some fun but your parents won't be scared stiff by either the skiing or the "dangerous" night-life.
I suggest Obergurgl. Excellent ski school (I learnt there), small and friendly resort, and some superb raucous night-fun if you want it (but nothing naughty to frighten mum and dad - you're only worry is they might join in!).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After so many requests for the other way around, e.g., parents looking for somewhere with a good creche for the kids, it is good to see the question being posed from the other angle - where can you get good creches to leave your parents while the kids play? I sense that Ski Esprit will not be the answer for this one!

Actually, there is a diplomatic issue here. If you get your folks hooked, they'll be going every year and paying for you forever, if they get put off, you'll be funding it yourself. Therefore. from a purely financial position, make every effort to get them to have a good time!! Smile

I learnt at Soll, part of the Skiwelt, which had lots of interlinked resorts and a good range of skiing, but I have a feeling that before long, we'll have mentined every resort in Austria and leave you even more confused.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know this doesn't answer Ally's question, but it's worth trying to find a resort that has a nursery slope high up. Nursery slopes are usually the first to suffer from lack of snow/bad conditions, and my parents were put off by a resort level slope that was icy in the only places it had snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to Obergurgal and i'd recommend it to anyone. It's also very high so quite snow sure. From what I remember there weren't too many flat bits which would pose a problem to boarders but i have to admit that i skied then Embarassed Shocked ...........it was before i felt the power of the dark side, the mitoclorians were a latent force in this boarder! NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ps welcome to snowheads, we need a few more boarders on this site as we get bullied by these nasty skiiers each and every day Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Wink

ps. they're actually a decent bunch really! Blush
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dan, just remember......he with the power to block accounts is a skier Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ally, Saalbach-Hinterglemm would be brilliant for your group. Big intermediate ski area, lots of fun in the evenings. Schladming, Ischgl and Solden (which has guaranteed snow on its glaciers) would be good alternatives.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd agree with David Goldsmith, I learned to ski in Saalbach, and was back there in March doing some faster skiing. It's got a good variety of intermediate terrain, and some a bit more advanced, and if you want, the nightlife is pretty good too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A third for Saalbach - though I've only spent one day and two nights there. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about Kitzbuhel? From the top of the Horn there are red routes down that offer a groomed piste for intermediates and some jumps and stuff for boarders. Both routes end up at the Alpenhouse which is a restuarant right by the top of the beginner bowl. All levels can ski/board/learn in close proximity and lunch together. Later in the week you can all graduate to the Hahnenkamm and go up a level.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A fourth for Saalbach! Plenty of terrain for all concerned. It is a traditional Austrian town and there are also some excellent hotels with very good food and leisure facilities which I'm sure all of you will appreciate.
ski holidays
I forgot to add that Leogang (linked to Saalbach) has a snowboarding park.
latest report
All good suggestions so far.

Have a look in these links for more info

http://www.skihotline.com/snowcountry.asp?CountryName=Austria&CountryID=4

http://www.bergfex.com/

Sportworld Amade and the Zillertal are also worth a look.

St Anton isn't really the place for begineers - best to go later when you have improved.
snow report
Dan, what are mitoclorians? I understand they feature in Star Wars, but have been unable to work out exactly what they were or did.
snow conditions
Jonpim, they provide the Force (you find them in your blood). I wish I didn't know that.
ski holidays
I kinda assumed the were mitochondria with attitude.
(well Force anyway...)
latest report
Jonpim, as far as i gathered from watching the films a while ago, mitochlorians (or however you spell it) are some strange "life force" that is found inside the blood of everyone but apparently Jedi's or potential Jedi's have tons of them and learn to control them to harnace the "force" be it the dark side or light side. I think they are only introduced into Star Wars in the Phantom Menace?

and before you ask no i'm not a star wars fanatic, i just know, like skanky, for some reason..........honest!! Embarassed
latest report
Masque wrote:
there’s not an Austrian alive who doesn’t know how to PARTY HARD! :

oohh thats a good one - I just laughed my sandals off:P
snow conditions
Me too! Ja Ja Ja Ja!!! Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy