Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

anyone know anything about the new lift from morzine to avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
I have been reading the remontee mechanique forum about the proposed new lift from morzine up to prodains and then up to avoriaz. anyone know what type of lift this will be and when construction will start ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I heard it was going to be a super-m style telecabine, located on the opposite side of the road to where the current cable car is. Couldn't tell you were the top will be.

But then I always thought they were building the Stash in Prodains, too, so I'm not the sort of person you want to trust.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just been looking some more and it seems it might be a 3s style gondola - the same as the new whistler blackcomb thingy. its basically a 30 person gondola on three ropes so its nice and stable
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is Morzine - there are heaps of rumours about this lift and mainly about where it will start from! There have been some interesting purchases of shops that are at present being turned into ski shops (1 around the Super Morzine) but we will have to wait and see.

According to the forum torico, is talking about it was discussed at a meeting in mid August see below:-

suite à la réunion d'information du 14 Août 2008 à Avoriaz avec l'équipe dirigeante de la station + le maire de Morzine, il en ressort que les 2 prochaines remontées à brève échéance (2009/2010) sont:

1- le doublement du TSD4 Proclou par un TSD6 "Crête" dans le cadre de l'extension de la station d'ici 2010 (+ 2200 lits haut de gamme / projet UTN) avec point de départ sur le Golf d'Avoriaz et arrivée sur la crête au niveau du TSD6 du Tour.

2- le remplacement du téléphérique par un funitel grande capacité, départ Morzine, arrêt intermédiaire aux Prodains et arrivée à Avoriaz pas forcément sur la place du téléphérique (qui dès 2009 s'appellera d'ailleurs place Jean Vuarnet) mais dans un lieu plus central de la station... Le nouveau maire veut par tous les moyens empêcher l'engorgement des Prodains par un trop plein de véhicules comme ajd.

Par ailleurs, il est confirmé par JP CALVET (directeur de la SERMA) qu'il n'y aura jamais de remontées sur la pointe de Vorlaz ("ski pas assez commercial" dixit) ni sur le vallon des Mines d'Or ("espace protégé").

A+

Which basically translates as:-

At a meeting on 14th August with the executive of Avoriaz and the Marie they have decided on the following lift improvements:-

1) New lift to complement Proclou - sarting on the Golf course and finishing near the top of lift Le Tour.

2) Funispace from Morzine centre to the centre of Avoriaz via Prodains

There will not be any lifts int he secteur Vorlaz (not commercially viable) or Mines d'Or (protected area/nature reserve?)

We will keep our ears to the ground and let you know if we hear anything else. Good news if you have property in the centre as this should give it a cracking boost!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowandtrek, The lift taking you to the Prodains will go where? Surely there will be some skiing invovled! Does it take you up above the Vallee de la Manche and put in a piste or two on that side of the mountain? Then they can truly link up the area taking a piste down the other side to the Nyon cable car as well!

Please keep us informed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Roy Hockley, As far as we can make out it will go from Morzine Centre up the Prodains valley with a mid station there and then into Avoriaz and not necessarily where the old cable car goes to!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Discussion here (in French):

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5883&st=0
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank goodness they're not putting lifts in the Vorlaz or Vallee de la Manche! That'd be a travesty. I'm still bitter about the decision to update Fornet to a fast-lift/snow-zone area back in ... was it 2002?. Harrumph.

Am guessing the new lift is going to be a bit like the old telecabines serving Meribel from Les Allues and the other valley towns. No skiing from the lower stations, just a means of transport. I hope so. If i start seeing pylons on Ressachaux I'm moving to a snowdome.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is the navette system not suitable then? Seems strange that they are replacing a system that works with another system and will not introduce any additional kms of piste! If it opened up the other side of the hill to the right of pointe d Ressachaux then at least people would have the choice to go up the existing Prodains or take the new chair up to avoid unbearable queues!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
To be honest, i'm not sure that the topography would allow Ressachaux to be opened up like that. It's a fairly isolated peak, and you have to go a long way around before you can access the top of the Hauts Forts (Arras, etc, where the current chair-lift route takes you).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ice_pie, But it would make for a few nice runs either side of the ridge.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Am hearing it will go from the car park in the Place de la Post (Champions), directly into Avoriaz, I guess we will see in time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roy Hockley wrote:
ice_pie, But it would make for a few nice runs either side of the ridge.

There are already nice runs there! But you have to hike! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Standee wrote:
Am hearing it will go from the car park in the Place de la Post (Champions), directly into Avoriaz, I guess we will see in time.

That would be very sensible! Although Simply extending the Super-M telecabine all the way up to Avoriaz would acheive much the same thing without the crazy cost.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The new lift will be a 3s which is very capable in high winds and alot faster than a bus or an extension to the super morzien bubble . I reckon it will be less than 10 mins to avoriaz centre from morzine centre . I guess they will have to put in more parking in town? we have an apartment in les gets and we mostly drive to prodain or to lindarets, however with this new lift it makes a lot of sense to either drive down to morzine and park there or ski over to morzine ( snow permitting) . This is great news I think for the town and makes the avoriaz / morzine allegiance stronger . With regards to pylons spoiling the valley, this type of lift has the potential to use very few pylons ( see blackcomb / whistler and the lift in kitzbuhl like this )
The only downside i can see is that the queues at peak times in avoriaz could be even worse ... I might be taking the super m lift down after all!
snow conditions
What kind of time scale could this be?
ski holidays
What do you mean by a 3s?
snow conditions
ice_pie wrote:
What do you mean by a 3s?

I think it's a lift like the Olympique in Val d'Isere. A hybrid of gondola and cable car technologies where you have three cables, two supporting the cabin and one pulling the car, normally the supporting cables are wider apart to provide lateral stability against wind. Someone more anoraky will come along shortly I hope!
snow report
yeah that sounds like it . the peak 2 peak in whistler is the same type of lift > no idea why they refer to it as a 3s- its quite like a funitel but bigger capacity
snow conditions
3 Strings!
snow conditions
ice_pie,

"There are already nice runs there! But you have to hike! "

Possibly but how can a lump of a thing like me hike!!! wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant news - no lift to the top of Vorlaz... Cool Cool Cool
latest report
Telepherique Morzine to Les Prodains.

Quite hard to find much solid info on this. first I heard was about 2 years ago. They were then going to tunnel into the "City" centre from the Les Gets Road and create a car park for this project, presumably the Carrefour area.
That was when the Annecy Olympic bid was still a reality.
Now, just the lift still seems to be on the burner, A Poma 2S has even been mentioned.Personally I think it would be a sensational addition to the town. Whatever, full praise to then for the policy of constant updating and improvement of lifts.
snow report
Quote:

A hybrid of gondola and cable car technologies where you have three cables

Is that the same type of lift that plummeted to the floor in Flaine last year?
latest report
There's is a discussion + Video for the new lift here:
http://snoworganiser.com/blog.php#Developments
snow report
Quick link to the video on youtube, clearly showing the route of the pylons over to Prodains and up to Avoraiz. Been discussed a bit in the "morz/avor not the weather" thread too.

http://youtube.com/v/Kj_9TCLzKYs

I believe as mentioned earlier its been shelved, and this video is actually quite old. Looks like it goes from fairly near the S-M lift, which is a shame, as linking from the Pleney station woiuld have been a good thing for a truer 'lift linked' area I suppose (although being a boarder I really dont see the 200m across to the S-M that big a deal).

Personally I would have liked to have seen a lift from the Montriond area up to the top of Zore as a more functional improvement to uplift into the Avoriaz area, but that probably will never happen Sad I understand everyone saying about Le Manche (although have never skied the route down) but if you could wind up relatively near to Nyon that would create another route from the LG side over, and do what we desperately need, which is increase piste areas, not just uplift speed - those against it are purely being a little bit selfish NehNeh wink (although I heard it may be a little avalanche prone) - I guess if someone shows me La Manche this season then I may be against a lift there! Laughing

So, Mr Morzine marie:

Lift from Montriond to Zore top, and lift from Nyon/valle La Manche up to Fornet.

Thanks!
latest report
dennisp, "desperately" need more piste? Are you mad? Have you skied every single run?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
dennisp, "desperately" need more piste? Are you mad? Have you skied every single run?

That isn't what I meant, I meant in terms of spreading foot fall, not that I have skied it all....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dennisp, I'm still unclear as to what you mean. With the excepetion of VSs, the PDS doesn't really get terribly overcrowded. Most of the bottlenecks have been dealt with.

Some runs, maybe, get a little busy but if you know your way around it's not an issue.

Upgrading the higher Super Morzine chairs would be good step forward however.
ski holidays
under a new name, i will of course bow to your greater knowledge and experience, although wouldnt have quite said Im totally mad.. rolling eyes Ive only skied a few days in PDS so just going on hearsay I guess.

just would have thought moving some of the S-M (and some Prodains) traffic looking to get across to Pleney onto a new transit into the mostly underused Nyon area might have been a good idea? Obviously not.

Any news on an update of the pre-favre lift any time soon? I saw they are potentially doing earthworks in the area around the onload, but I think that lift has seen a few winters and after the recent troncs express (and I believe some other 'recent' lift upgrades in the nyon sector) it looks like that is an area being focused on?
ski holidays
dennisp, i see what you mean, and certainly would agree about some of the S-M traffic - but I can't see any easy way of getting traffic into Nyon without going through Pleney - without a pretty extensive rework of an area that I believe is already a protected zone.

The required investment in any case would be enormous and not result in huge benefit.

A direct link from Morzine centre as would mooted but contingent on Annecy getting the Olympics would have been a nice idea however!

Just to amplify, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just find the idea of the core (French) PDS being "desperately" in need of uplift or piste capacity to be a bit of a weird old idea. Puzzled. You should have seen the queues in 1990 when the (old) Chaux Fleuries lift was in download mode!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 13-10-13 16:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Does anyone know if the proposed lift has gone in from before the end of the run back from the Roc d'Enfer circuit? Our understanding was that it would take you back to the base of the gondola - but I can't see anything on their website about it.
snow conditions
Any news on an upgraded lift from nyon replacing the old cable car?
latest report
No I don't believe that is even on the maybe list at the moment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy