Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea / Sauze d'Oulx at half term advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Late to the game for sorting February half term but discovered that we can get bizarrely cheap train travel via Paris to Oulx for the us, the kids and a couple of adult friends at half term. We've done the direct snow train a few times so not daunted by train travel but I know little about the area / skiing / boarding in Italy and the prices are looking so good it's worth pursuing further me thinks Very Happy

I am however struggling to find availability for accommodation beyond basic looking B&B's - is this more the norm in Italy than self catering and chalet hotels which we've done in France?

3 of the adults and one of the kids are boarders - how's the boarding in this area? And off piste scope? And what are ski and board schools like - both kids will need tuition, one for the second week on his board and the other skiing, got Evolution 2's Yeti 3 on his last trip but it wouldn't hurt him to do a comparable level again as he's only 7.

Thank you for your help lovely snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We love Sauze. We go every year as we have friends with property close by.
Previously we used to stay at Residence Cascina Genzianella in Oulx which we can definitely recommend but we always had a hire care to get up the mountain. This took approx 15 mins. I think there is a ski bus as well.
The slopes are pretty diverse, most are tree lined .... nothing massively challenging. I think there is only one or two blacks in Sauze itself. The link to the rest of Via Lattea can get a bit congested as it is only a 2 man lift. The cynical amongst us would say that was to keep punters in Sauze. The food is good and not expensive. Locals are very friendly.
We go every Feb half term when the resort is very busy but manageable if you get your timings right [ie stay away from the main lift out of Sportinia when the schools head off].
Definitely book any ski school before you get there. On a couple of occasions members of our group couldn't get places as everything was fully booked.
Off piste is limited but a lot of it stays un-tracked as there seem to be fewer off piste skiers.
There is a reasonable amount of tree skiing possible. Or you can head off over the back of Sauze to Pregelato. You may want to take a guide for that, we did it without one but made some costly errors ending up fighting through bushes!
Heading over to Sestriere and doing the Olympic downhill is recommended.
It is definitely worth getting to Montgenevre. If you buy a 6 day pass you get a free day there. You can ski all the way from Sauze but it is long and not a great ski. It is much better to get there early by some other way and spend a full day there ... you won't regret it.
You can heliski from Sestriere which we tried to do this year but it got cancelled due to weather. We will try again this season.
I am a skier so can't directly comment on boarding opportunities but I can't see there would be much difference.
I have been around 15 times and haven't got board with it yet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@FoofyNoo, thank you. That's s really helpful reply!
Son#1 now says he's going to back to skiing this season so I only have to worry about booking ski school.
Just need to find accommodation that'll work, definitely in town as if we're training it, won't be hiring a car.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have been to Oulx a few times on the train but always stayed on the French side of the milky way in Montgenevre - good self catering options and ski schools there and you can ski over to Claviere in Italy. You can get from Oulx to MOntgenevre by Resalp bus which takes about half an hour. I'm afraid I don't know much about Sauze/Sestriere but hopefully you will get more replies soon.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whats the lift system like? My old 'where to ski and snowboard' guide lists it as antiquated and that the place is showing signs of lack of investment...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, There are two modern telemix lifts in Montgenevre- one on each side of the mountain so you cover most of the altitude on them. the rest of the lifts are on the older side but the only one I found particularly slow was the one up to the highest point roche d'aigle. Having also skied in Claviere and above Cesana I would not say the lifts are any newer on the Italian side. If you are used to skiing in the big resorts in the Tarentaise you will find the lift system older and slower in the milky way...but then this is probably why it retains an uncrowded off the beaten track feel. snowHead

Whilst it is true that there hasn't been as much investment in lifts in Montgenevre as some other places there has been investment in the village itself. Eg. there are some nice self catering residences with pools - Le Napoleon is the newest and best. There is a newish pool and spa in the village called the Durancia. There is the Monty Express rollercoaster. The Montgenevre slopes are short on mountain restaurants but the new one at the top of the Chalvet gondola is very good indeed. The ski pass includes Claviere where there are more mountain restaurants.

The reason we like it is because it is a beautiful ski area with some lovely tree lined runs, is good for red and blue cruising, seems to get more snow than the Italian side of the milky way, and we have never found it crowded...we haven't ever been at half term though! My children have skied in a lot of French resorts and Montgenevre is in their top 3.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure how it fares in half term because I have never been at that time of year but whenever I am there the slower lifts are more than compensated for by the shorter time spent queuing to get on the things!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy