Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Auris & VR 2018-19.

Poster: A snowHead
Snowing again in Auris.

MF forecasting freezing level 2000 to 2400m.

Feels cold at the moment with the wind.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Raining heavily now in resort 1600m. Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any L2A updates?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
After a mad two weeks of Christmas holidays things a lot quieter now. Pistes have generally held up well with snow making on daily now the temperatures are cold.

The wind has been a problem up high for the last few days.

Hopefully some snow this week around Tuesday evening.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpinebear wrote:
After a mad two weeks of Christmas holidays things a lot quieter now. Pistes have generally held up well with snow making on daily now the temperatures are cold.

Hopefully some snow this week around Tuesday evening.

Good to hear, I am heading out with family on the 26th Jan so hoping for a few top ups before then.

On the scrounge for a bit of advice if anyone can help. We are a group of 12 - 6 adults and 6 children under 11. The youngest is going to be nearly 4 but we would quite like to lunch as a family as much as we can. I have skiied ADH before but I was a student - frites for lunch and cooking dinner so I am clueless when it comes to restaurants in the area.

Does anyone have any recommendations for lunch spots? (up the hill or or round the base)

If on the hill then we would potentially need to be able to get the little one down easily either heavily supervised by an adult or on a lift.

We will probably only try and do this a few days so any suggestions for lunch spots elsewhere are very welcome too

Cheers for any suggestions snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a self service restaurant at the top of the Signal lift. There is a lovely blue run called Marcels farm from there back down to the centre.

Some friends had lunch at the top of DMC1 a couple of days ago with their kids and they enjoyed the big portions!

If over in Vaujany there is a lovely pizza restaurant called Alpette.

Off topic but look at buying your ski passes in advance(7 days in advance) as it's cheaper than buying them on the day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpinebear wrote:
There is a self service restaurant at the top of the Signal lift. There is a lovely blue run called Marcels farm from there back down to the centre.

Some friends had lunch at the top of DMC1 a couple of days ago with their kids and they enjoyed the big portions!

If over in Vaujany there is a lovely pizza restaurant called Alpette.

Off topic but look at buying your ski passes in advance(7 days in advance) as it's cheaper than buying them on the day.

Thanks for that, really useful. Coincidentally we were just looking at passes this morning and are definitely planning to get them in advance.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also any old ski passes you have(with a number 01 1614) you should be able to reload them online or at the ski pass office.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the mountain both restaurants at Alpette above Vaujany, La Grange (I think this is Alpinebear’s pizza place) and Passoud’s are really nice and easily accessible for non-skiers. Also in the Vaujany area, P’tit Truc and Vaujaniate are near the top of the Montfrais gondola. In Alpe d’Huez proper the Chantebise at the mid station of the DMC is just around the corner from the lift, and if they fancy a walk there is a path from Bergers to La Cabane which is halfway down Olympique, which when combined with Clocher de Macle, Lievre Blanc and a short schuss along the Boulevard des Marmottes is my favourite run. There are also the delights of Folie Douce at the top of Marmotte 1, which has the best toilets on the mountain even if the whole thing is not to your taste!

Good luck with your trip, I hope it goes well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Petere wrote:
On the mountain both restaurants at Alpette above Vaujany, La Grange (I think this is Alpinebear’s pizza place) and Passoud’s are really nice and easily accessible for non-skiers. Also in the Vaujany area, P’tit Truc and Vaujaniate are near the top of the Montfrais gondola. In Alpe d’Huez proper the Chantebise at the mid station of the DMC is just around the corner from the lift, and if they fancy a walk there is a path from Bergers to La Cabane which is halfway down Olympique, which when combined with Clocher de Macle, Lievre Blanc and a short schuss along the Boulevard des Marmottes is my favourite run. There are also the delights of Folie Douce at the top of Marmotte 1, which has the best toilets on the mountain even if the whole thing is not to your taste!

Good luck with your trip, I hope it goes well.

Thanks! I have made a pretty detailed list of places now so will probably spend the first morning scoping the suggestions in the thread out.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the road up I could see the clouds rolling in fast and now the snow has arrived. I'll have a look at the forecast when I get into work.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Forecast is around 15cm today. Very cold with -10 at 1900m, windchill -20.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowing healthily I as leave work and head back down to Bourg. Nice to see the white stuff again.

Still amazes me that people drive to resort and don't bother with snow tyres or chains.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 9-01-19 17:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been snowing all day across the area, though "a little nippy" as soon as you got up anywhere above the main Alpe d'Huez bowl.

'Fun' mix of fresh snow and rocky, icy pistes...and minimal visibility.

Trying to decide if I should take my brand new powder skis out tomorrow and risk some base/edge strikes or stick with my battered old slalom skis that won't be right for the conditions but are more repair than original base...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arriving on Saturday. Worth bringing fatter skis for next week or should I stick with my one ski quiver?
snow conditions
Can you wait last minute as the forecast for next week keeps changing?
ski holidays
I'm planning to pack my ski bag on Friday night! Which forecast do you trust as a local?
ski holidays
Been a bit of fresh snow today but so far this week a pure piste ski has been order of the day, and stopped snowing now in Oz...
snow report
From Saturday night Météo France showing snow but meteociel not showing much.
ski holidays
Alpinebear I was hoping to buy passes in advance for our group February trip but the link just times out on the ADH website? Any ideas?
snow conditions
@lewisb22 based on today I'd probably leave the piste skis at home of you can only bring one pair - unless there's a LOT of fresh snow in the forecast when you're packing.

I decided not to christen my new skis today so on my piste skis, and while there was still some nice, fresh, 3-4" powder on the red under the Fontfroide chair (Auris side) at 10:30 most accessible stuff was both quickly tracked out and nasty (not much depth so usually skining through to the rough ice base). If you're going back country a guide might be able to fund you something fun but don't bank on finding anything piste accessible that's nice and/or not tracked.
snow report
@lewisb22, meteociel now agreeing with meteofrance that there will be snow falls on sunday and monday
ski holidays
@feefee, Is it working now? https://skipass.alpedhuez.com/
snow conditions
@Alpinebear, no it still times out, I’ve been trying for the last few days?
snow conditions
feefee wrote:
@Alpinebear, no it still times out, I’ve been trying for the last few days?

at what point? I got to putting a pass in my basket
ski holidays
Maybe I need a proper computer, I’ve only got an iPad?
latest report
@davidof, @Alpinebear, I’ll try at work on Monday, are they posted or do we collect them? We arrive on 2 feb?
snow report
If you have old ski passes with 01-1614 you can enter the numbers when you add the name of the skier. You can then pass directly to the lifts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any updates on conditions? How much snow came down in the last 24 hours?

Has the ice softened any or is it soft snow on a hard pack base?

What is open off the top of Pic Blanc?
snow conditions
Can't comment on the last couple of days but on Friday it was mostly ice, with the only soft snow being dragged on by the bashers overnight/scraped off by skiers by lunchtime.

Skiing back in to Oz for the last time on Friday afternoon seemed to be more icy than ever, bascially ice from mid station down - though some of that could be down to my edges being more buggered than ever.

Pic Blanc was open most of last week, only closing for high winds at the start of the week. Was closed to foot passengers Thurs/Fri due to the wind pushing effective temp. down to -20 something.
snow conditions
@Alpinebear, finally managed to get them booked, thank you for your help.
ski holidays
Snowing since about 11am. Nothing too heavy but it's snowing Smile
ski holidays
Any updates for ADH this week?
latest report
No snow but pistes are still great fun. Sure a bit polished in places but the sunshine is glorious.
snow conditions
@palumbex, great thank you
latest report
Snowing today, started off light but getting heavier Smile
latest report
Still falling, not as heavy but all fresh snow is welcome Smile
snow report
Snowing Smile

Forecast is for the snow level to briefly rise to 1000-1300m this afternoon then back down to 300-500m.

More snow showers tomorrow
snow conditions
Forecast pretty accurate so far. Snow a lot heavier now.
latest report
@Alpinebear, yay thank you, this time next week we will be there snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy