Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this the end of all the "which lens to get" questions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure that these have been mentioned on the forum before but the new Oakley Prizm React googles should be hitting the shops in the next few weeks:

http://youtube.com/v/ZHObptuvL-M

When I played with the Reacts at the trade show they are a lot bigger on the outside than my Flight Deck Prizm but the interior window/field of view is smaller, similar to the original O frame. Plus the lightest setting is equivalent the Rose Prizm and darkest setting equivalent to the Black Iridium - which for me is too dark a range as skiing in to shadow at speed with the black lens is kinda scary as they're too dark and the Rose just doesn't compare to my Hi Pink Prizm lens in flat light. What I'd want is the React lens going from my Jade's down to the Hi Pinks.

Clever tech though and it'll only get better.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit pricey, at US$300.

It is effectively 3 lenses in 1, which rationalizes the price somewhat.

Good tech (assuming it works).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no, oakley dont fit my face!

Think I would rather spent $300 on one pair & several lens options. At least if one breaks, others can be worn
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m a massive Oakley fan (goggles, bike helmet, ski outfit) but their photo chromics are no where near as good as some others.

I have Tifosi cycling glasses that go from dark to completely clear, very quickly. Now if they made goggles or even goggle lenses.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bar shaker, why wouldn’t you just ski in the cycling glasses?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gordyjh, I could on low light days, but now have Flight Deck Hi Yellows.

Here's the link... we ride with 'Light Night' lenses in Podium frames. Vero are also nice frames.

https://www.tifosioptics.com/photochromic-lenses/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have prism goggles and they are great. I also have Jublo Zebra photochromatic specs and they are amazing. You walk from a dark room to the light and you don't notice the change. Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been using photochromic goggles for years. I guess these do the same thing, except you have to provide a battery and press buttons. Hmm.

Innovation is always good though. Maybe mark 2 could be a sort of "varifocal" tint, with the top being darker than the bottom... you could have hours of fun setting them up. Then save the profile for each run/ time of day, and get the goggles to use GPS to pull them up in the correct sequence. I may have had too much coffee today.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Jublo Zebra photochromatic specs and they are amazing. You walk from a dark room to the light and you don't notice the change. Happy

Agree - go with Julbo or Smith photochromic lenses... here's a copy of my experiences with both:-

"Julbo Cameleon lens vs Smith Red Sensor vs Smith Rose Flash Chromapop

All photochromic lenses, with this particular Julbo lens also having some polarising.

Smith Photochromic Red Sensor - VLT 20-50%
Smith Photochromic Chromapop Rose Flash - VLT 20/30-50%
Julbo Cameleon Photochromic & Polarising - VLT 5-20%

My usual goggle is the Smith I/O 7 with the Red Sensor - been using it in blue sky days through to floodlit skiing. Very pleased with it...

but was curious about the Julbo so got a pair amazon'd to my friend to bring over to Utah for me.
I got the Julbo Starwind with the Cameleon lens - the Starwind has the same pop-out lens design as the Aerospace frame for anti-fog for ski tourers etc or really, really steamy headed people.
Starwind is described as for med-small faces ( was concerned the larger Aerospace might be too mahoosive), but if the I/O 7 fits you then you'll find the Starwind a bit smaller. The lens though is very good indeed - don't think it would be suitable for night skiing so much due to the lower VLT, but is worked well even in the first couple of overcast days as well as the bright sunny ones.

Passed the Julbo on to mates' son who loves them and went back to my trusty Smiths and red sensor... and since replacements are hard to find I had the bright idea of ordering a new lnes for my I/O 7s, which is the newer photochromic 'chromapop' rose flash...

Had a couple of days with this lens and I'll be keeping the red sensor as backup - both very, very excellent with the newer chromapop version being a little more relaxing on the eyes.

The Julbo fits fine with a Smith Vantage helmet, and all the lenses do NOT give an obviously skewed tint to things... so the snow still looks white etc Smile"
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bar shaker, I still don’t understand why you wouldn’t just use them all the time if they go from light to dark and back quickly. I suppose I just don’t like spending money on extra kit!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gordyjh wrote:
@bar shaker, I still don’t understand why you wouldn’t just use them all the time if they go from light to dark and back quickly. I suppose I just don’t like spending money on extra kit!

Embarassed Totally busted.

In my defence, I can't do the helmet and sunglasses look, so It's got to be goggles when skiing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bar shaker, Laughing

I usually only use goggles when it's snowing & don't have any problem with sunnies/helmet! It's not that I'm not as vain as you but I just look great in anything! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy