Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time board buyer....Help!

Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I learned to board a couple of years ago at our local snow dome and shortly after this we went on our first trip to Tignes. We followed this up a year later with a trip to Bulgaria, and we are now in the process of planning our next trip, back to Tignes next April, with more Snow dome time before then.

We know we love boarding, and we have decided now was the time to go all in. We have new boots and bindings ordered and coming soon. Which just leaves us with what boards to go for, well it leaves me with what board to go for as my wife seems to have fallen in love with one and from everything I can tell it seems to fit the bill for her.

So for me, I am not really a park guy, but that's more due to never having tried it then not liking it, who knows I might. I enjoyed a bit of powder riding but would be spending most of my time on pistes. I am lost with all the different camber options, stiffness, pop etc!

My only experience is on rental boards, will I even notice the difference at my experience level (including the dome days I would say max 16-18 days on the snow).

Experts of snowheads help!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sylas, I would suggest you rent/try a few more before buying to get a feel for what you like. Try a camber board in the morning and a rocker in the afternoon and you will definitely notice the difference!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, kev @ Snowboundprocamp put up a top 5 beginner board vid on YouTube yesterday, Angry snowboarder did the same about 2 weeks ago.....

Check out both vid's for ideas and a bit of explanation as to what to look for...

Hth
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well a reasonable place to start is the TWS Good Wood snowboard awards. The riding you suggest puts you square in the All Mountain board category.

You say you have ordered bindings so assume they are traditional bolt on ones not channel ones which is fine but will eliminate the Burton ICS boards from the mix (not too much of a thing as most ICS boards are also available in trad layout).

What size feet are you? Once you get to size 10UK and over then you should probably be considering a wide board. Again many ranges offer wide varies of their boards so not too much of an issue but worth remembering especially when going bargain hunting on old stock.

Camber basically boils down to camber and rocker. Camber boards bow up from the ground in the middle so when you stand on them the end points of the board push more firmly down to give more grip and control. Rockers do the opposite giving a looser feel to them on firm ground like piste but make them want to float easier in powder. Lots of manufacturers are making hybrids of these too with different profiles across the the boards but how 'good' these are can be quite subjective.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The other thing is to have the right board for the right bindings and boots combo. Please let us know what they are. You should be aiming for a mid flex boot and bindings which will complement a mid flex all mountain beg/int snowboard depending how you feel you're progressing. Ultimately riding different boards is the best advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah the what boots and bindings question I should have put the information in the first post.

I have a set of the Burton Step-on's coming along with the Photon Step on boot, really hoping that they work out for me as heard a lot of good things about them so heres hoping it isn't a bad decision. So this means that the Burton Channel system is an option as well as 4x4 and 3D (I think I have those correct).

UK size 10, so aware already I might need to be looking at a wide board as I don't want to run overhang if I can help it.

As for the camber profile, how much more catchy are traditional camber boards vs say a hybrid? I was considering something around mid-flex and with a forgiving element but still able to carve.

Also can someone explain "pop" to me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cambered boards are definitely more 'catchy', but that's all part of them having good edge grip. You shouldn't find it a problem, if you have the basics of riding sorted out.

Pop is a marketing term that really means stiffness.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rent.

But I would add...
  • If you're catching edges, that's a technique issue - your weight is in the wrong place.
  • Full rocker (and flat) snowboards were a bit of a disappointment in powder - the mechanics are different from skis.
  • "Pop" in my view is "how responsive" a board is, so not quite the same as stiffness, which is "how hard it is to bend". If you load up a board with a lot of "pop", it will "pop back" at you. A board can be stiff and "damp", or stiff and poppy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Renting isn't going to be an option with the Step-on boots/bindings really unless we just rent the boards.

Catching edges isn't a big thing for me, its just having spent so long trawling through the board suggestions may say camber X or Y offers a more forgiving ride etc, while traditional camber is better for carving but can be easier to catch an edge on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought it was a bit odd you bought the bindings first, but now you’ve said they’re the step on’s that makes far more sense as you would have missed out if you handnt acted quickly!

I am selling all my gear now as I won’t get much riding in this season and will upgrade next year....but research wise I’ve started going down a similar path to you.

I was quite curious about the Lib Tech TRS Horsepower and thought the Burton Amplifier (as a not quite like for like), both seemed viable (from what you say we are at a simailr riding level).

That said in all honesty without trying everything (much easier with skis) and comparing it’s impossible to be sure. So all you can really do is watch a load of YouTube clips and hope they help. I’ve always found Snowboard Pro Camp really useful if that helps.

Sorry that’s not much use, but please post back as I’d love to hear how you get on for when I upgrade my gear!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry about the typos...typing on a phone!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I will definitely come back and update here what I choose.

I have had some recommendations and some general pointers and am watching lots of YouTube reviews and a lot of very similar stuff is coming back. Can’t get it to far wrong and aim for something in a range.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
step on's are quite responsive. Maybe be careful about some camber & prob best steer away from something like a skate banana.
Worth looking at :-
Rossignol One Magtek
Jones Twin (or Ultra Twin if you can find last seasons cheap!)
Yes Basic
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of the boards that is really grabbing my attention is the Salomon Craft. The Yes Basic is also on the list. I am hoping to get a test ride in on both, it just depends if the local stores allow testing at their near by snow domes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could speak to the guys at Douk, they offer demos and were very helpful to me when I bought my Asbo for general piste riding. Handmade in the UK too

http://www.douksnow.com/demo-days-and-testing.html

http://www.douksnow.com/asbo.html
snow report
Thought the Salomon Craft was a more freestyle focused board than a groomer charger.
snow report
All mountain freestyle. From what I have found out about it, while its a solid freestyle board it handles everything really well.
snow report
Sylas wrote:
it handles everything really well.

I'd take all marketing blurb with a pinch of salt, but it does seem to have good reviews. Are the bindings channel or reflex?
snow conditions
You could also check out the Big Bang at Tamworth, where there will be a bunch of snowboards to demo.
snow report
@Sylas, if I were you and you are liking the Salomon range, I'd take a look at the Sight, which is cheaper than the Craft and probably more in line with the riding you will probably be doing.
latest report
Gainz wrote:

I'd take all marketing blurb with a pinch of salt, but it does seem to have good reviews. Are the bindings channel or reflex?

Straight from the spec info:

Universally compatible with all current snowboard mounting systems, including 4x4, 3D®, and The Channel®.
snow conditions
Ok so just had another look at the bindings and they seem to be their own thing ie neither channel nor reflex so you can go with any board. I'd look at the Process Flying V or Endeavour Live for channel or Yes Basic/ Typo, Jones Explorer for all/m or MT for more freestyle. You can demo in France at a store for free if you buy it or a small fee if not. This would be your best option but I do feel you made the wrong purchase for boots and bindings - just my view.
latest report
I will be picking up the board in the next few weeks so demo'ing in france isn't an option, however the reason for getting something sooner rather then later is we will be re-familiarising ourselves with the snow and our new gear in the local snow dome.

Gainz wrote:
but I do feel you made the wrong purchase for boots and bindings - just my view.

Whats your thinking here? its always good to know.
latest report
I would also say that you might want to think about how you might want to progress and what board will be good for that.

Do you want to ride switch (the answer is yes, by the way)? A twin tip may help learn that. Buttering? Flatland 1s & 3s? Don't need a park for freestyle fun. If so, a more mellow board will be good. Yes Basic or Burton Process (regular camber for pop - ollies, buttering, carving will prefer this) could be good but similar alternatives out there.
snow conditions
Sylas wrote:
I will be picking up the board in the next few weeks so demo'ing in france isn't an option, however the reason for getting something sooner rather then later is we will be re-familiarising ourselves with the snow and our new gear in the local snow dome.

Gainz wrote:
but I do feel you made the wrong purchase for boots and bindings - just my view.

Whats your thinking here? its always good to know.

I would disagree.
The stepons are great. Best gear purchase I have made.
I still have reservations about your choice of board. Have you thought of asking at a more dedicated snowboarding forum?
You need your choice of boot & bindings to work in harmony with your choice of board. Usually it is done the other way around.
latest report
I haven't had much luck finding what appears to be an active dedicated snowboard forum, and everyone here seems pretty helpful. (if you have any recommendations let me know)

In terms of what I want out of the board its something that will allow me to progress from where I am now (3 weeks on the snow experience roughly) and will last me over the next 2-4 years. Our aim is to get more snow dome time in and also plan on getting in more then one trip per year abroad as well.

Park riding, buttering, ollies etc all are appealing, just something I haven't done before, but am more then willing to try. I did attempt buttering on the hire boards but didn't have any luck Very Happy
snow report
The thing is that after a few more weeks of riding you'll have a firmer feel for what you like, love and not enjoy so much so planning 2 to 4 years is difficult at this stage unless you're lucky or demo many boards. Forums help but they are subjective opinions and you can research until you're blue in the face. I love this time of year as I enjoy checking out the latest gear just to keep with what's going on more than anything. Don't get me wrong the step ons look fantastic but just maybe too responsive at this stage so you'll need a board with equivalent flex and responsiveness. This may mean getting a board that is harder work for you making it less fun. So yes @Mr.Egg, you're right but you might wish you were more patient, that is all I was thinking. BTW I'm on other forums and this is the most active. The others are just me and tumbleweed!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 13-10-18 11:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Sylas wrote:
I haven't had much luck finding what appears to be an active dedicated snowboard forum,

https://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The thing is that after a few more weeks of riding you'll have a firmer feel for what you like, love and not enjoy so much so planning 2 to 4 years is difficult at this stage unless you're lucky or demo many boards

This sums it up. Many people in your position end up making a bad choice and buying a board that's either too advanced, not what they want, or they will outgrow too quick. It's a hard position to be in as you don't have enough experience to know what you want and also you are going to be improving at a quick rate as relative beginners.

The other problem you have is the better boards for snowdome are not the same as the better boards for a resort.

My advice would be to buy a cheap second hand board (lots on eBay) for the snowdome. Something a little on the shorter side, plenty of flex, twin. Then in resort rent something a little longer, stiffer that's going to handle the increased speed and space for carving better.

Once you have more experience and know exactly what you want look into buying get a second board for resorts.

It's worth noting that renting often works out cheaper if you are just doing the standard 7 day trips 1 or 2 times per season. To pay off a new board, ski carriage, maintenance you will need to do a lot of days each season or a lot of seasons. Lots of seasons is not ideal as you may find the technology improves and your stuck on an old board (although it's debatable how much technology is improving, some of us swear by stiff camber which has not changed so much).
ski holidays
Not wanting to sound to snooty about it, but I have no problem buying a first board now and then replacing it in 2-3 years time with a different board. Personally happy not to rent as it's another thing to sort out at the other end, and I would like to buy something that will work for me at home and away.

Short list is looking like the following:

Yes: Basic
Salomon Craft
GNU Credit

Looking in the 152-156 size range. 154 is what I have been riding and probably the right spot for not having to worry to much about my weight at while not being to long.

All of the above have either been recommended here or by Absolute snow and all have solid reviews and seem to cover what I am looking for. Something I can progress on, that will let me get a feel for park and charging down the groomers, while not being to soft or to stiff.

Just to throw a spanner in the works the local snowboard shop said that there isn't really such a thing as a beginner or an advanced board and that anything can work, but the chap also said the Yes Basic was a solid choice, and the Jones Explorer.

Interestingly he said I should definitely look at gettting a burton board as we are getting step on's, but didn't really say why, and I am struggling with the burton range to find something that would fit what I am looking for, they either sound to stiff or no camber which against the standard.
ski holidays
GNU Credit <-- no! Who recommended that? Assuming your past doing basic turns, etc. the board will leave you frustrated & short!
I can give a ton of other reasons as I owned one as my first board!
Its easy to butter due to the profile though.
ski holidays
Just found some solid reviews on it and seemed similar to the other suggestions but happy to say no to it.

My ability is I can link turns comfortably, I can get top to bottom of the mountain without issue. While not comfortable with doing so I can ride switch a without falling over or failing my arms around.

I haven't really tried much buttering or Ollie's etc but all the hire gear we have been on has been super stiff and heavy as you might expect.
ski holidays
Um. It's not really about if you can link turns, it's how you're making those turns, and if you're content with that.

The length of a board isn't useful if you don't know the stiffness/construction.
The issue is not really "length", it's how much force is required to make it turn on edge. That's kind of why you need to test-ride things.

Buy something pretty.
snow report
Ok, the other big downside with renting is it gives me nothing to use my new boots/bindings on. A big plus for owning something now is that I can start to use the boots bindings this season.
snow conditions
Quote:

all the hire gear we have been on has been super stiff and heavy as you might expect

I would be a little surprised with that. Super stiff boards tend to be for advanced, it's far more likely they will give you some kind of soft beginner board. Weight of a snowboard is kind of negligible.
ski holidays
Generic Head or Rossignol Rented boards looking very tired and which felt a lot heavier then friends/instructors boards I have held at any time.

Bindings that stayed together with magic.

In terms of flex, by comparison the force needed to bend any of the hire boards I’ve ridden would produce almost double the flex in any none hire board I’ve seen/flexed.

I don’t think I am discrediting the gear I have ridden to much by saying this.
snow report
Remember rental boards have quick settings for bindings, this adds a lot of weight.

At the end of the day if you want to buy, then buy. Its all about personal opinion. If a board was rubbish & didnt sell, then then they dont get released the following year on year
ski holidays
@Sylas, beginner rental boards are designed to be abused, they're usually not for retail. They have to last a season with people that will bash the poo-poo out if them. No point giving a beginner a 300+ quid snowboard but you can rent decent snowboards in resort and usually mount your own bindings. Anyway if you need to buy a board then the basic and explorer are solid. The mountain twin is also good. I've ridden these and enjoyed them all. I own an explorer and love it but I use it for offpiste and pow only.
latest report
Can't go wrong with a Burton Custom. Pretty much the archetypal 'all mountain' snowboard. Yes it's full camber but it'll hopefully ensure that as you progress you do so with good technique.
latest report
Quote:

Can't go wrong with a Burton Custom. Pretty much the archetypal 'all mountain' snowboard. Yes it's full camber but it'll hopefully ensure that as you progress you do so with good technique.

Full camber and decent amount of stiffness would be my suggestion for a first board too. However, it seems not to be the fashionable choice. it also would be less for for snowdome riding than something a little more playful, although as I said before no board is going to be optimum for snowdome and resort riding
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy