Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitting bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Having joined in the ski test and tried a few different skis and convinced myself I am definitely in the market for new ones.

I had the bindings removed from my current skis and replaced with kneebindings curtesy of spyderjon when I did the ski servicing course with him, I am very keen to keep those bindings move them onto my new skis and put the original bindings back onto my current skis.

This is looking like it will be more expensive than I was expecting. I called Snowtrax to get a price and they want £80 to do this. This feels a little over the top, especially based on how long it took Spyderjon to to pop them on (if I lived closer to him I would just be going back to him). Can anybody recommend anywhere within the south who would do this for less?

I presume this isn’t a job I should contemplate doing myself?

Thanks for any advice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, where are you buying your new skis? If not online, I'd kind of expect the shop to mount your Knees onto your new skis.

You could do it yourself... but it's an expensive mistake if you get it wrong... Skullie
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, It's worth contacting Snowtogs in Southampton to compare prices, or S&R in Portsmouth, and Filarinskis too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The skis I was eyeing up were from Glisshop.... which could come with bindings mounted for only £60 more.... which makes moving my bindings feel very expensive as well. I would just like to keep those bindings.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamcham wrote:
@NickyJ, It's worth contacting Snowtogs in Southampton to compare prices, or S&R in Portsmouth, and Filarinskis too.

Thanks will do!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How old are your bindings? After a certain period, manufacturers stop guaranteeing their effectiveness and safety. If you're being offered comparable new bindings, mounted, for £60, I'd go with that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The bindings are only 3yrs old.

Also not comparable as they are normal bindings and not kneebindings which offers a third release mechanism from twisting at the heal.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh well Glisshop has now sold out of the ski I was eyeing up. May well just leave until this seasons colour version of the same ski get reduced (which is list on Snowtrax website and if they offer for a good price see if I can get them to include it).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would: take your bindings off, post them to Spyderjon's magic emporium, buy from Glissshop and have them delivered to him there and sent onto you when fitted. He will need to be reminded of your BSL from your boot.

I would also consider asking him what he would sell you the new skis for because i have found in the past that it ends up being simpler sourcing from him once you factor in the faff of binding fitting and in my case Quiver Killers as well.

(There is also the possibility that you could have the skis sent to him and drilled for Quiver Killers for your binding , sent onto you with quiver killer screws and then you simply screw the knee bindings on yourself. He doesn't need the bindings for that )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski Bartlett have the same ski for £60 more than Glisshop had it for before they sold out and will fit my bindings for £25 and including reinstating the original bindings onto my current ski. That overall isn’t unreasonable in my book... quite a long drive over though so having a think. And as I said in another post there is a part of me that thinks it may be more sensible to hire them for a day (if I can!) when we are out in February to be sure I like them just a much on the mountains as in the fridge.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What ski is it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
K2 Missconduct looking at last seasons colours version as that is what I tried (plus obviously discounted). Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would just crack on if I were you... a very consistent ski manufacturer. It's like buying a Ford.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mishmash, I found your post encouraging until I read the reference to a Ford! Having test driven the Ford Focus a number of years ago comparing to the Seat Leon I found the Ford to be completely under powered and an awful drive (same badged engine size in both).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ,
Quote:

I presume this isn’t a job I should contemplate doing myself?

If you're a confident/competent DIYer absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do it yourself.
Worth using a pillar drill so the holes are square in all planes...
Jon sells the relevant drill bits, so no problem drilling the correct depth etc...
Plenty of info/videos etc on the web...
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@mishmash, I found your post encouraging until I read the reference to a Ford! Having test driven the Ford Focus a number of years ago comparing to the Seat Leon I found the Ford to be completely under powered and an awful drive (same badged engine size in both).

Well its a Ford because its an American Brand. If it was a Volk it would be VW Group ...
ski holidays
As geoffers says it not difficult if you can wield a drill with confidence.

The hard part is knowing where to drill to suit your bindings/boots - but as you are moving them to a new ski just unscrew bindings and make a template to transfer hole positions to new ski. I’ve done it before with kneebindings a couple of times.
snow conditions
kerb wrote:
As geoffers says it not difficult if you can wield a drill with confidence.

The hard part is knowing where to drill to suit your bindings/boots - but as you are moving them to a new ski just unscrew bindings and make a template to transfer hole positions to new ski. I’ve done it before with kneebindings a couple of times.

Ooh I like that idea. Shame that the skis are now out of stock but will keep this in mind. Or could order the ones from Ski Bartlett...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy