Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski train-old or new style of trains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone booked the eurostar ski train and worked out from seating plans or does it say when you book whether they are using the new e320 trains or refurbed e300 or are they still using some of the old trains?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last season I think the direct Eurostar ski train was mainly using the older rolling stock, but no idea if that will still be the case this season. Like you say it should be possible to work it out from the seating plan you're offered when choosing your seat as part of booking.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Over the past couple of years, we've had a mixture...

Last year, we had an old train going out, then a refurbished outside with old internals coming back.
This year, we had a refurbished train going out, then an old train coming back.

I don't think they're very forthcoming with details of the planned trains, so it's luck of the draw I believe.

What I've found useful in the past, though, is http://eurostar4agents.com/seating-plan which offers seating plans for all 3 train types.

It means you can work out what their website is basing the seat reservations on, as well as allowing you to find a seat that you're happy with on both layouts so it doesn't matter so much which train turns up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kieranm wrote:
Like you say it should be possible to work it out from the seating plan you're offered when choosing your seat as part of booking.

I'm not sure this works though, I believe that the booking system and seat layout that you're referring to is set up before they know which rolling stock they're using, so it is very possible you'd select a seat based on the plan they show you and find on the day that it's a different layout. Best bet is as suggested above to look at the various layouts and try to choose a seat that's virtually the same across all 3 designs.
Having said that I'm sure I read somewhere that the new 320s don't travel up into the Alps (something to do with the configutration of the power pickups), but can't find it now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will be old trains and probably not the refurbed ones. Refurbs only seem to get used on the Alps run if a proper old one breaks ! Most people find the older style more comfortable - I know I do.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At the risk of outing myself as a geek it will be one of the older e300, refurbished or not. The new trains can't run to the Alps, not compatible with the signalling and power.
What that means for the long term future of this service isn't clear....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks guys for the responses and being helpful Smile i have only ever travelled on the old style so can't compare to new, was curious! still want to try the ski train instead of flying at some point!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Intrigued by this thread, I checked my return tickets Moûtiers/St Pancras in Jan 2019 and can see the train will be a refurbished e300 ( I know this as I have table seats 14/67 and 14/68 )

Happy though - mid ish carriage, near buffet car and not on top of toilets. Fingers crossed dont get any 6ft + in table opposite seats Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andyman, that's why I hate table seats...typed from my intercity airline seat
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy