Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stiffness Rossi skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

We are now back in France and enjoying skiing again, however, I'm currently down to two pairs of skis- some Rossi hero FIS slalom skis, and a pair of horribly stiff 23 m women's Volkl GS skis.

The former are absolutely lovely for bombing around our usual small resorts. TBH, we never really do much in the way of bumps, mixed terrain etc. However, I get a bit tired after a long day of slalom turns in the bigger resorts!

I was therefore considering buying a pair of Rossi/Dynastar masters in the 175 cm, 18 m version. Any thoughts on how stiff these are compared to the FIS hero slaloms? I still have some vague ambition of masters GS racing, and suppose they would also be good to get back into the gates.

Another possibility is to go for e.g. the LT Hero. I am a bit wary, as I tried the old ST-carbon skis, which were very soft (the ST-Ti was OK though). Any thoughts on the relative stiffness of the current LT with the R22 race plate and without (Konect version)?

I've just also seen there is a MT version (medium?) Not sure I would go for that though, as it is about 5 mm wider.

Thoughts all? Anybody going skiing in des Rousses tomorrow? snowHead

cheers,

James
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JamesHJ, "stiffness" is a bit of a red herring. As ski's feel is much more dictated by shape and torsional rigidity.

So typically, at the same length, SL will be more rigid than GS. I am very surprised that you find the Volkl GS (I'm not sure what you mean by "women's").

My GS skis (Rossi 185 and 191, Volkl 185) are significantly more "forgiving" and "easy" than my Nordica FIS SLs ever were.

I would expect a FIS SL (any) to be much "stiffer" in perception than any "masters" style ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's an interesting point on stiffness. My Volkl skis are a true FIS model from ca. 2008 and are 183 cm and 23 m radius, thus corresponding to the women's specs at that point in time (from memory, so probably true!). Once you get them going, they are not so bad I suppose, but I don't ski them much.

For the SL skis, I tend to find that the difference between the non-FIS and FIS versions is that there is a much smaller 'sweet spot' on the latter. This seems to matter most for fore-aft balance! Actually, some of the non-FIS versions also have significantly shorter radii as well, down to 11.8 m sometimes, which I also don't like (mine are 13, and I would swear blind that I can tell the difference Very Happy ).

I suppose, I am just kind of curious what the masters skis feel like in the shorter lengths.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually, I seem to have put this in the wrong forum. Perhaps a friendly mod could move?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JamesHJ, the difference between FIS rated skis and normal GS skis is huge. If you are looking for a ski which handles hooning around on piste and is usable off piste as well then consider one of the Völkl RTM series. I've had a pair for the last few years, totally happy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just spent a week on the Hero Elite Long Turns (177cm). I usually ski Head I.Speed and picked the LT's as the closest thing I could find in the shop. I found that they were as stable as the I.Speeds but the turn-in wasn't as immediate but then, the tip isn't as wide. Edge hold was good in the middle and end of the turn and carving was easy as long as you waited for the turn to arrive. I used them on groomed piste, lumps and bumps and bottomless powder (where they were a bit sinky but perfectly acceptable!).

Overall, I still prefer the I.Speed but these were a good alternative. IMO, anything over around 16M is a handful on normal pistes as you are either going at warp factor 11 by the time you have finished a turn (proper carving one), or you have to skid the tails which defeats the object really.... I always look at turn radius first and then what the ski is designed for. There aren't a lot of 'premium' type skis which a decent recreational skier would be able to take past their limits these days. Worth trying a few different skis in a hire shop for comparison. You can't really make a decision without standing on them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FWIW I believe the Rossi Masters (the black ones) are a popular ski for people doing the Eurotest for ski instructors. So if you’re after a slightly-but-not-very tamed version of a GS ski they would probably be good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just started skiing some soul 7's ( on piste as the off is wind swept and worse than on) and skied I shape last season. What has surprised me is how the soul 7s perform on piste. The current conditions are 'good' with hard pack scraped in places. Today, with winds, there have been patches of powder (only a couple of inches) blown across the slopes.
To carve, they are a joy. It takes a positive effort to initiate the turn and there is a pause but once they start carving it's a delight. They even pop a bit. Hitting the soft bits it became obvious that that is what they're really made for but as yet conditions haven't been right. Can't wait.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maireadoconnor wrote:
FWIW I believe the Rossi Masters (the black ones) are a popular ski for people doing the Eurotest for ski instructors. So if you’re after a slightly-but-not-very tamed version of a GS ski they would probably be good.

That's what I seem to remember as well. It feels as if there are less BASI types around here nowadays though. I've not seen a thread on the dreaded Eurotest in ages!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to all for suggestions as well- it certainly hasn't gotten easier to choose skis!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you really don’t ski off piste then I’d get a pair of 18m radius cheater GS skis. I think the are about perfect for technically competent, reasonably brisk skiers wanting to cover the miles.

I actually have something a bit like this but slightly wider (75mm waist) which I use for these duties and find I can bend them into any shape I want at any speed I’m brave enough for!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have the Rossi M18s - and really like them. (Note that the common eurotest ski is the 23m version). I have skiied on FIS SL skis, but not back to back with the Rossis, so can't really give a useful comparison on relative stiffness. Both are much stiffer and have much more grip and stability at high speed than the head titans I used for L2.

As someone else said the radius is a much bigger difference - you have to be much more patient at initiation on the M18s, but of course you know that; your 23m GS skis even more so. Good for me because I tend to move inside too quickly, which I'd probably get away with on an SL ski.

I don't find the speed unmanageable on piste, although they are much happier on clean longs with plenty of edge angle. I've used them for race training - suited me, although everyone else was on 23m, and I guess if you were better than me you'd be faster on a longer radius ski.

There is no rocker at all, so they are more of a handful off piste than most SL skis I've tried, which seem to mostly have a little tip rocker (same in bumps).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all. I actually discovered that SWMBO has skied on the 18 m masters. She said that they were "amazing, like flying around on a hoverboad!"

Given that recommendation, I guess we will be getting a pair. And I'll be learning how to adjust bindings when she nicks them. Hmm.

Incidentally, I was just explaining to a French colleague the expression "long haired colonel". His reply was "nous avons la meme expression, mais c'est le 'sargent-chef'."

The reason for the difference? "Tu peux discuter un peu avec le Colonel!"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JamesHJ wrote:
Thanks all. I actually discovered that SWMBO has skied on the 18 m masters. She said that they were "amazing, like flying around on a hoverboad!"

Given that recommendation, I guess we will be getting a pair. And I'll be learning how to adjust bindings when she nicks them. Hmm.

Don't understand the hoverboard comment, but they are certainly a great long turn ski.

It won't be easy to frequently adjust the bindings to a significantly different BSL though; they screw into the plate rather than sliding on a rail system.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JamesHJ, I'm using 23m skis in French Masters races, the quick guys are on longer radius ones, I don't think I would want to go shorter radius.

The only GS races this winter have been the Combloux ones, gate distances were over 26m. The Masters circuit this winter is affected by France holding the FIS Masters World champs so there are fewer FFS races than usual.
ski holidays
@JamesHJ,

Just to add to your confusion I ski on rossi FIS 27m GS skis and they are great. Tip them on their edge and they just grip Smile

I am quicker on these than the 23 my radius masters ski.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy