Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 Pairs of Boots??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I own a pair of Salomon X Max 130 Alpine boots that I really like. But as I'm switching to the Shift binding and getting into Slackcountry touring, I've bought a pair of Tecnica Cochise 130 Freeride boots and gave them a good workout at Octobertest but have yet to use them in there chosen environment. They both work well for me so far . I have several pairs of skis, from Piste to Powder but prefer Off Piste. I've had trips to Canada and European. I intend to do more Hellisking and Cat skiing and Lift access backcountry skiing, but will I ever be in need of Alpine over Freeride boots. Advice needed before I sell OR lug two pairs of Boots out with 3 sets of skis next trip.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably not. I went over to a Scarpa Freedom SL a few years back and have not looked back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It may depend if you do much skiing on performance focused piste skis such as SL or GS. I now ski a lot with my new freeride boots but if I am having a day on the piste skis I get so much more control with my old stiff alpine boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got some free ride boots (same as the OPs) but kept my old piste oriented boots and take them for mostly piste trips

Are getting a bit packed out now so probably won’t replace them and just stick with the Cochise
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LeglesWonder, Test them out against each other on your next trip in proper conditions and make the decision based on what you prefer.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been skiing the K2 Pinnacle 130 Freeride boot for the last 3 seasons and been very happy with them. By chance came across a pair of Nordica Speedmachine 130 Alpine’s in an end of season sale, tried them on and bought them (had the original speed machines in the 2000’s and they fitted me like a glove). Ended up using them through all of April and not going back to the K2’s. IMHO a freeride boot still gives up some precision and flex smoothness over a true Alpine boot. Will keep the K2’s for touring but will use the Nordicas for lift served.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, Yes I definitely prefer the Alpine boot for response. I will take them them both away in November to Kaprun as I got a great deal on business class flights with BA, so loads of luggage allowance.
I was thinking more about how the boots would react in deep powder for Hellisking. I think the Alpine will win out. But the Coaches do apper to be a true 130 flex and very responsive. Only testing will tell
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LeglesWonder, IME deep snow, unless very light, works boots hard so precision is important and falling risks lost skis. All other things being equal I would take Alpines
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agreed javascript:emoticon('@BobinCH, ')
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy