Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What’s the perfect love match for the Salomon Shift?

Poster: A snowHead
Light enough for the up but got to be able to shred all conditions... skiing is all about the down after all!

The DPS Alchemist 112 is the current target but blimey it’s expensive. Any other perfect skis out there for 2019?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I currently tour a lot on my Bent Chetlers with Guardian/Tracker frame bindings. I reckon they would be awesome with Shifts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Down CD114 L

Got Barons on 'em atm, but will swap to Shifts this season.

Add the Full Tilt Ascendent and I reckon that's about the best one ski/boot/binding quiver around.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitedot Ragnarok CarbonLite
Whitedot Altum 114
Scott Scrapper 115
Blizzard Rustler 11
Volkl V-Werks Katana
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
Whitedot Ragnarok CarbonLite
Whitedot Altum 114
Scott Scrapper 115
Blizzard Rustler 11
Volkl V-Werks Katana

Of those loved the Blizzard Rustler 11’s (180cm) - what weight? Didn’t get on with the Scott Scrapper’s (189cm) - too stiff? Liked the Shiro’s (193cm) but fear the Katana’ V-Werks too stiff for me. Interested in the Altums but wasn’t a big fan of the R98’s or Directors albeit tried in hard pack conditions - how do they compare?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa wrote:
I currently tour a lot on my Bent Chetlers with Guardian/Tracker frame bindings. I reckon they would be awesome with Shifts.

Never tried Bent Chetlers but only heard good things...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
Down CD114 L

Add the Full Tilt Ascendent and I reckon that's about the best one ski/boot/binding quiver around.

Don’t like the CD107’s - too straight. What are the CD114’s like in comparison?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Head Kore 105 or 99. Detune the tail. Closest I have skied that resembles the fabled DPS experience. Or Movement Alp tracks / Go 106 etc ?

Having said all that ... my shifts are going on alchemist 112s ! Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Down CD114 L

Stiff and very directional . Great in open faces , but the radius can work against you - genuine big mountain stiff skis, a handful in trees (for me at least) . Great value , and I almost went for the 104L . The 114L May be a little softer. These won the Bec des Rosses stage after all so they can’t be noodles! Oops just read the clarky is on the L s so disregard!

I suppose Lotius 138 is out of the question? Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mishmash, seems we like the same type of skis... will try the Kores early season. No 138’s but have a pair of the original Spoons 🥄 Alas a bit heavy for touring....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have the 105s and they are everything that the DPS 106 should be. (Nb they are 107 in the 189) . Almost as good turn initiation, but a lot better in chop. Great in Euro powde, great on the piste, tail needs a classic carved finish or a detune to let it release . Great ski. I will have to demo the 99s and se what the are like. It’s also pretty light.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mishmash, how do DPS 106 compare with 112?

I had 184cm 112 Hybrids (liked) and still have 185cm 124 Alchemists (love).

106 seems to make sense for a touring ski but don’t want to lose that 112 great anywhere performance
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very interested in this discussion.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone tried the Völkl VTA 98?
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-backcountry-skis
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, Is this the same man who started the “Perfect One Ski Quiver” thread last season, and is now lusting after his 3rd pair of DPS skis Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 9-10-18 7:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, Guilty as charged!
snow conditions
Mine will be going on some Black Crows Navis (normal not freebird) for a 1 ski option for resort and touring. I don't ski powder well or often enough (yet...) to warrant any wider and don't want to lose piste performance. I'm looking forward to it though, I reckon it will be a perfect setup for what I want
snow report
BobinCH wrote:

106 seems to make sense for a touring ski but don’t want to lose that 112 great anywhere performance

the 106 wailer skis much longer for size than 112 - I ski the 112 RPC 2.0 in 191 (and the 99) and its fine where the 106 is a bit of a battle - the sidecut seems different, and the turn initation just doesn't seem there in the same effortless way it is on the wider ski. This is the ski that debuted the "chassis" thing that they started that is in the Piste skis. Bear in mind mine is Pure 3 not Alchemist. Also I was looking at a new pair only yesterday afternoon and they looked a little different to mine in the paddle. I would email and see if they have changed the shape along with the alchemist build. I think my ideal ski would be that shape - 112 in 106. But that is the slot in my quiver now filled by the Kore 105. I will probably ski the 106 this winter and try detuning and see if that makes a difference.

As for Hybrid vs Pure/Alchemist, I had Hybrid 99s which delammed and I switched to Pures on the warranty swop and they were/are excellent. A friend tells me that the Alchemist over Pure difference is most apparent to him on the pistes.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:

the 106 wailer skis much longer for size than 112 - I ski the 112 RPC 2.0 in 191 (and the 99) and its fine where the 106 is a bit of a battle - the sidecut seems different, these of turn imitation just doesn't seem there. This is the ski that debuted the "chassis" thing that they started that is in the Piste skis. Bear in mind mine is Pure 3 not Alchemist. Also I was looking at a new pair only yesterday afternoon and they looked a little different to mine in the paddle. I would email and see if they have changed the shape along with the alchemist build. I think my ideal ski would be that shape - 112 in 106. But that is the slot in my quiver now filled by the Kore 105. I will probably ski the 106 this winter and try detuning and see if that makes a difference.

As for Hybrid vs Pure/Alchemist, I had Hybrid 99s which delammed and I switched to Pures on the warranty swop and they were/are excellent. A friend tells me that the Alchemist over Pure difference is most apparent to him on the pistes.
snow conditions
mishmash wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Down CD114 L

Stiff and very directional . Great in open faces , but the radius can work against you - genuine big mountain stiff skis, a handful in trees (for me at least) . Great value , and I almost went for the 104L . The 114L May be a little softer. These won the Bec des Rosses stage after all so they can’t be noodles! Oops just read the clarky is on the L s so disregard!

Yeah I fell out with the 107s too - though for me it was more the imbalanced flex. Tips too soft for the tails, I think.

I have the 114 in the M (metal) and L versions, but actually have never skied the standard version. The M is like mishmash describes, but turned up to 11 Toofy Grin Great fun when you have room and very stable, but they really work you in tight terrain if you’re not on the ball. The rocker profile means they can be slarved around though.

The L is totally different. In terms of feel, to me it feels like a mix of Salomon and DPS. Much softer and more playful; you can bend them soooo hard into turns and just ping back out to the other side.

Of course they do give up some stability and dampness: try and rage through chop like on the Ms and the extra deflection is obvious (duh). But they’re so light, nimble and agile you really don’t need to rage on them to ski fast, rather just dance around stuff or pop over any inconvenient lumps, flick tbe tail in or out, whatever.

The radius is still fairly big, but honestly they’re flexy enough its just effortless to either pivot or bend them into small turns if you want. But equally no hooking when you want to keep them more neutral and draw everything out a bit...

I’ve done a couple of <1 hour tours on them with barons, and with the extra efficiency of the Shift I think they’ll be the perfect compromise for the majority of my touring, at least unless the snow is v hard.

Easy, fun, playful and predictable. My current favourite ski. Honestly probably the first ski I’ve been on where I can’t think of any niggles I’d change, if I was designing them just for me.

Maybe drop Horizon a pm too (unless he sees this), as he has a pair too.
snow conditions
Mine are going on my BC Atris as I need a do it all ski for travel reasons. Were I still resident in the Alps rather than south east London, things would be different. In any case, I recall you not liking the Atris all that much.

I would go for something directional in the 112+ range and reasonably lightweight, seeing as you already have the Lotuses. I'd be strongly considering the Moment Wildcat Tour. I never skied the Bibby and it is a bit of a regret that I never got round to owning a pair. Probably the 194 rather than the 190.
latest report
@clarky999, the M must be ridiculous if that’s what Bimboes straight lined the Bec on! The L sounds interesting. Any idea if he has some to test? Is he still based in Geneva?
latest report
@BobinCH, pretty sure Gregor's still in GVA - be worth dropping him a line to find out!

I'm not sure if the M is actually all that much stiffer than the regular, it might just be heavier and damper. They're not terrifying though! The rocker profile keeps them surprisingly user-friendly - I found the tail on the Scott Scrapper harder work, for reference. But yeah, not optimal for tight trees Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy