Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark L1 Hemel October

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone fancy the BASI L1 tele course in October at Hemel? I need a refresher and rather than the 3 day jobby I would prefer to do a course. Only one booked at the moment and I wonder what the minimum numbers are for tele courses. I cant imagine they regularly get 10 at a snow dome...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got that pencilled in the diary
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cool... you aren't the one booked then ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone fancy the L2 in April ??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
cool... you aren't the one booked then ?

No not yet... I need to get a bit more practice in before making up my mind. I haven’t got a handle yet on how demanding the L1 course is. I guess I could just treat it as a training week, but I do need to justify the week off work.

Before DotM pipes up, yes, I do know how to get into the bindings now! Ronald showed me the trick when we spent a day on tele at PSB, and Colinstone gave me lots of tips. I can get around the hill fairly gracefully on blues and easy reds with lead change and I can go wherever if I just put my feet flat. I had an amusing moment halfway down some bumps when I remembered I wasn’t on my usual gear! I must have decent fore-aft balance I guess.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Moi? Wouldn't dream of such a thing Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Prior to taking this course, candidates must:
Ski basic Telemark and Alpine turns on a blue run
Understand and perform the concept of "lead change" i.e. linking one telemark turn to the next changing lead leg
Ski in control while using Alpine technique such as parallel turns on blue and red runs
Minimum age 16 years old

That doesn’t sound so hard. I can do that! Yeah I think I’ll sign up
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know people who passed as total Tele beginners and I’m not far off that Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rightio then! That makes 3. What’s the minimum for it to run? 4? 6?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Maireadoconnor, I am trying to get one other as well...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Might do it, seems to be 17 - 21 September?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colinstone wrote:

You’ll eclipse us!

But it would be delightful to do it with you Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
colinstone wrote:

You’ll eclipse us!

But it would be delightful to do it with you Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
I know people who passed as total Tele beginners and I’m not far off that Wink

I'm not far off that either Laughing

and I quite fancy it as there is no Manchester one on the calendar at the moment.

However I do know people who failed it so I'm not sure what the level really is Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sarah, I have done L1 --- from what I saw you need to be doing telemark turns down a blue slope using varying radii. Lead change needs to be more than just a concept ! Very Happy Telemark stance = one knee lower than the other, one knee further back than the other and back thigh vertical.
snow conditions
@ski, that’s helpful. I think from what I heard the people who failed didn’t have a good stance, weren’t getting low enough.
latest report
@sarah, The key is separation of your knees -- you don't need to get very low to achieve that -- especially on NTN.
snow conditions
getting seriously tempted to book this course. Anyone fancy some self help days at Hemel from April ?? I havent been on tele gear for almost 5 years and was at beginner stage then. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
getting seriously tempted to book this course. Anyone fancy some self help days at Hemel from April ?? I havent been on tele gear for almost 5 years and was at beginner stage then. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Self help days?? sounds like the teleblind leading the teleblind here Laughing
ski holidays
@skimottaret, Subject to being awake enough I may be able to come up and help.
snow conditions
@ski, that would be very nice of you... perhaps starting in April we could set up a regular group session for whoever can make it. If you could pop in as and when it suits you to get us pointed in the right direction that would be great snowHead
ski holidays
NOOOOOOO Shocked . . . the last vestige of my coolness is sliding toward the toilet with all you alpine monkeys freeing the heel . . . that does it! This eosb will be a learn to 'switch' tele week Twisted Evil Shocked
latest report
@auntie masque, freeing the heel is sooooooo cool Cool
ski holidays
@skimottaret, count me in
snow report
Good to hear you guys are heading towards free heeling!

Im on EoSB so if anyone is interested in getting anything set up by way of a tele instruction day let me know. We did this on a few bashes with some interest but it just fell by the wayside.

Ive potentially got some spare kit I could bring out if need be.

Oh and if you are really serious, you could do a whole lot worse than coming along to the next GB Championships in Pralognan La Vanoise next January 2019 - same format every year which includes five full days coaching by top coaches and potential races (Development or Championship) at the end of it all - Im on the organising committee so any questions PM me
snow report
@andyman, don't encourage the numpties, it'll dilute the magic and mystery of 'toe dancing' on't snow . . . or the moonlit, naked run they have to do when having achieved their first set of proper carved tele turns wink Twisted Evil
snow report
@andyman, I’m intending to bring my tele gear to eosb
ski holidays
auntie masque wrote:
@andyman, don't encourage the numpties, it'll dilute the magic and mystery of 'toe dancing' on't snow . . . or the moonlit, naked run they have to do when having achieved their first set of proper carved tele turns wink Twisted Evil

Hell masque when I can ever do any nice set of proper carved turns tele or otherwise I will gladly do a moonlit naked run Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sarah, Can never show this too often . . . When I can do this I'll go 'button shroom'

Wait for a minute in . . Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/_RQdbpZ-Nz4

Spot the one REALLY ODD thing about switch tele?
snow conditions
@auntie masque, You talking about the differing lead ski ?
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:

While I'm not really interested in the L1 I'm definitely up for the self-help group and a bit of crossing my tails and flopping hilariously. If only to keep Mairead honest when she looks smug after some smooth turns and you have to break it to her that it's because she did them alpine wink
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, or storks!

I’m afraid the smugness comes as standard. Sorry about that.
snow conditions
@skimottaret,

Quote:

getting seriously tempted to book this course. Anyone fancy some self help days at Hemel from April ?? I havent been on tele gear for almost 5 years and was at beginner stage then. Toofy Grin

If you sort some dates I'll see what I can do (ME/CFS permitting) .... Happy

... and if anyone wants some bindings or boots (26.5) let me know
latest report
@ski, yup, I've tried it both ways and in switch leading with the downhill ski sends you down the fall line .. Confused
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, cool be good to get a little group going...
@ski, currently skiing alpine in Italy with a sore knee Wink , will have a think about dates in a few weeks once the season is over.
ski holidays
auntie masque wrote:
@sarah, Can never show this too often . . . When I can do this I'll go 'button shroom'

Wait for a minute in . . Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/_RQdbpZ-Nz4

Spot the one REALLY ODD thing about switch tele?

That’s amazing. Really is.

I’m very much a tele beginner and a stop-start one at that. I need to get back at it.
ski holidays
@sarah, once you start carving, speed really is your friend . . . along with counter rotation and angulation. I'm self taught so I've been through a LOT of experimentation. Although it's relatively easy to drop, relax and smear turns there is a LOT you can do to adjust turn shape and control with separation, depth of drop and individual ski weighting. . . and fine tuning those through the carve and lead change. Just a couple of times I've managed a jet change to lead, though more often it's been a yard sale Embarassed

The simple fact of life to be a telemarker is leg strength and stamina. Have those and you can dance on your toes till the moonlight is your path home Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@auntie masque, I really need to get back at it. The club in Manchester is very active at Chill Factore.

In fact this event might be of interest to peeps on this thread. I went last year and it was a really great day.

http://www.lodjur.me.uk/mccsc_new/2018_nw_telemark_festival/NWTF_2018_flyer_page1_v2.pdf
latest report
some chatter on FB about doing a day at Hemel with a BASI tele trainer. Would possibly count for a CPD day and would be a good way to get a proper intro to tele. perhaps if we can get a few interested a day would be a good way to get started then crack on with some self help days ??? anyone interested ?
snow report
It does sound like fun, but I have no imminent need for a CPD, and far too many other courses on the horizon to be able to justify a new thread. Another year I could well be interested though - I'd much rather learn something new than repeat something to meet the CPD requirements.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy