Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying in Moutiers for 3V - Good Idea or Not?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are hoping to get away for a weekend's skiing in Meribel but the accommodation costs there are insane. I did find a cheap flat in Moutiers so could drive from there to Meribel each morning and back in the evening..

Has anyone ever stayed there? Is this a great way to save on costs or the world's most stupid idea?

Thanks,
Jon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might be better to look at Brides Les Bains which has the bubble up to Meribel. I think accommodation is cheaper there and you have no need to drive. Also worth looking at Bozel-a relatively short drive from the Courchevel end of things.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, unless you want nothing but 3V, Bourg St Maurice with it's funicular to Arc 1600 (massive Paradiski domain) is a good cheap option
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jonnyboy9, I have stayed in Moutiers, Brides les Bains and even La Lechere and skied the 3Vs. Have also driven over from the Val d'Arly multiple times.

There used to be free parking in Meribel but suspect that it has gone now.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 5-10-18 13:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jonnyboy9,

I would endorse staying in Brides Les Bains.

We've done it 2 or 3 times and it's a lovely town, with cheap (by 3Vs standards) food and drink. You do have to take the gondola up and down each day but we quite enjoyed the daily commute. We'd usually have a leisurely flask of coffee (& a croissant) on the way up and both agreed it was better than a commute to work. wink

Having said that, if you do stay in Moutiers you could drive 10 minutes to Brides and park there, or vary it and drive 20 minutes to the lift at St Martin.

It's certainly not a mad idea to stay in Moutiers. We've done it a few times.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I assume this is linked to your other post asking about Meribel in Feb/Mar.

Agree that Brides Les Bains is a better bet. Only downside is that the bubble closes at 5.15pm? so you have to apres in Brides. Cheap hotels are possible in Brides also.

Depending on budget, there is one cheap hotel in Meribel centre and it's still showing availability if you book quick - http://www.hoteldoron.com/. It's neither big nor fancy and you'll likely hear the band below until 1am but it's a perfect location.

Would be worth looking at Les Menuires to save commuting every day. LM has a lot of tiny (<20m3) 2 person studio apartments that won't be rented to families on half term. You might get a deal on those. Could apres at La Folie in VT and one lift home.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think my decision is being driven at the moment by being able to stay in Moutier for 38 per night for 4 of us! Staying in BlB means 2 rooms at 60 per night each..which was the cheapest I could find..I like the idea of driving to BlB though... is there parking near the Gondala though? And is the Gondala price included in ski pass?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are something like two car places near the gondola so not really worth trying. Best aim for on-road parking down in the corner here:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/43817698

You'll often find a few campers tucked in down there but there's usually space.

The gondola is covered by the lift pass - just make sure you don't miss the last lift down! It opens 30 mins earlier than the rest of the system though so you can avoid wasting time in the morning. A bit of a queue forms before opening time but this quickly goes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonnyboy9,

There's space for only about 6 cars at the Brides gondola but there's also free covered parking round the back of the main street.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
p.s. Good idea to stay in Moutiers, versus Brides. That gives you 3 "free" beers each night for a start! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonnyboy9 wrote:
I like the idea of driving to BlB though... is there parking near the Gondala though?

There's a free ski bus drives round BlB which drops people at the gondola so you can leave your car near your accommodation.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bergmeister wrote:
p.s. Good idea to stay in Moutiers, versus Brides. That gives you 3 "free" beers each night for a start! Very Happy

Er, why is that? Cheaper???
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We stayed in Les Allues a few years ago and found the Gondola ride to / from the mid point a PITA. We drove to the big underground carpark below the piste in the centre of Meribel, for us a much better way of doing things.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ref. Les Allues; having done the park up under the Chaudanne for several years ... last year on a boys trip used the free bus which allowed for Aprez Ski drinking in Meribel, it is reliable and saves on the parking costs. I am a fan of Les Allues as a slightly lower cost base for the 3Vs, if you have a car it also offers Le Praz as a practical alternative starting point.

Having done the drop off for my children in Moutiers, it is a bit of a shlep by road. The bubble from Brides has the advantage that you don’t need to look for seats on the bubble.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jonnyboy9,

You say it's €22 per person more expensive per night to stay in Brides. So that's 3 ("free") beers head start if you stay in Moutiers! Very Happy Very Happy

Seems like horses for courses. Some find the gondola up to be a PITA, whereas we didn't mind it. As I said earlier, I preferred that ride up to the alternative commute to work. wink We'd prefer that to de-icing the car, a drive up, loading skis into and out of the car, putting boots on at the car, unloading skis and paying for parking. Each to their own though. As you can see - what suits one doesn't suit all.
snow report
Maybe consider Orelle in the 4th valley, with bubble up to VT?
ski holidays
I think I'd prefer Moutiers than being at the mercy of the gondola up to Val Thorens.

In bad weather there's more chance of the Brides gondola running than the gondola to Val Thorens from Orelle.
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
I think I'd prefer Moutiers than being at the mercy of the gondola up to Val Thorens.

In bad weather there's more chance of the Brides gondola running than the gondola to Val Thorens from Orelle.

#metoo

Moutiers is a pleasant enough little town, although very dark and cold in the depths of winter. Quite a few restaurant choices with normal French prices for food and beer. It doesnt' have the charm of a ski resort... but then not many French ski resorts have any charm.
snow conditions
Hey, if your considering driving up the hill each day, go up the courchevel valley and there's a big free car park, right next to the lift's in le praz. 20 mins door to door....

Hth
ski holidays
@jonnyboy9, assume you are flying into Geneva? I reckon you'd get cheaper and closer accom in a different resort outside the 3V? Is there a specific reason you want to do a weekend in the 3v?
ski holidays
If flying into Geneva and hiring a car then somewhere near Morzine is much closer and there is a big car park at Prodains. for the lift up to Avoriaz.

There is a fair amount of accommodation around Morzine.

But Moutiers is not crazy more and it is 30 minutes up to Meribel Pricey parking though.
ski holidays
Hi, yes wanted to do a weekend in 3V because my son is working there and my other son is struggling for enough time off work.

As for Meribel Parking, you can park in Meribel Village next to the Golf lift for free.

Although plans are changing fast so now we are going on 5th Jan - with 3 other couples, to either my son's chalet if we get enough people OR to Serre Chevalier if we don't. Serre Che is much cheaper, we know it well - Just lacking in Apres.... Sad And a catered chalet would be sooo much nicer than self-catering if a lot pricier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy