Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will no deal Brexit provide a minuscule crumb of comfort?

Poster: A snowHead
I decided to take my middle child on a weekend ski trip as I had never skied on my birthday before (early May) and stubai has 6 metres with more forecast. Understandably - think Withnail and I - I was ‘making time’ from Zürich Airport and have been charged a couple of admin fees by hirer. And have subsequently received a 65euro fine from the Austrian Rozzers for a 17kmph transgression.

My questions are two fold:

1. Can I ignore it safe in the knowledge Boris and Cummings will crash us through to hell on a handcart on 31 October?
2. The letter had my date of birth as well as my name and address clearly visible in the window of the envelope. Thus strikes me as being at odds with the EU’s gift if GDPR? How to pursue? Blush
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1) I doubt it, as they already know who you are.
2) Contrary to popular opinion wink not to mention the numerous guests who have turned up here with Euros instead of Swiss Franks, Switzerland isn't in the EU. I don't know if the DOB visible through the window contravenes GDPR (the name and address are clearly essential), but a Swiss business isn't required to comply with it anyway.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gämsbock, speeding transgressions committed in the Eastern Reich not CH
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowsartre, where did the letter come from? The Austrian authorities or the Swiss car rental firm? I'd assumed the latter as you mentioned they levied admin fees.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Austrians wrote to me after the Swiss car hire company shared my details (twice) each at 44 Chuffs a time
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowsartre, ouch! Dunno about the Austrians, but the Swiss (and Germans) definitely pursue to the UK, even for bizarrely small amounts. Who knows what the UK will do re: the sharing of drivers details after Brexit but as they've already got yours I'm not sure that's any help to you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gämsbock, thanks; I guess I am wondering what can they actually do if I don’t pay? Hardly extradition!!??
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Snowsartre, if you have actually had a letter from the Austrian authorities (as opposed to the car hire company) then best pay it. If you ignore the letter the fine is likely to be turned over to a UK debt collection agency who will pursue you for a much large sum to cover their "expenses". At one time you could avoid paying swiss speeding fines but with hire cars that is no longer possible as the hire companies pass on your details.

You do need to be very careful on Austrian autobahns especially in areas with the 100kph environmental restriction (IG-L), there are a good number of cameras.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowsartre wrote:
@Gämsbock, thanks; I guess I am wondering what can they actually do if I don’t pay? Hardly extradition!!??

They'll pass it on to a debt collection agency. Certain snowheads will tell you to ignore it but the costs can soon run into 1000s of quid so your choice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
no deal will provide lots of comfort, but it wont get you off your speeding ticket

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 25-08-19 14:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It'll be fine, unless you ever want to visit the country again, then I wouldn't be surprised if passport checker might want a word with you. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
munich_irish wrote:
@Snowsartre, if you have actually had a letter from the Austrian authorities (as opposed to the car hire company) then best pay it. If you ignore the letter the fine is likely to be turned over to a UK debt collection agency who will pursue you for a much large sum to cover their "expenses". At one time you could avoid paying swiss speeding fines but with hire cars that is no longer possible as the hire companies pass on your details.

You do need to be very careful on Austrian autobahns especially in areas with the 100kph environmental restriction (IG-L), there are a good number of cameras.

debt collecting agencies have no legal powers, so they can persue as much as they want.
As long as Snowartre has no plans on visiting the EU ever again, then best to ignore the fine Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowsartre, for sure they can keep it on your record so that if you are ever checked entering Austria or within Austria it flags up, then demand payment on the spot. 65 euro seems quite reasonable for 17mph over the limit (appreciate the admin fees are steep but I guess they've already taken those straight off your card). What does the car hire agreement say? Could rental company pay on your behalf if you don't pay and then take it off your card plus more fees?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre, I wouldn’t ignore it. And GDPR mandates for legal requirements data can be shared, to the legal extent required.

Brexshit won’t change the situation.

Pay it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Someone I know was pulled at passport control Geneva for unpaid speeding fines in Switzerland. They were charged significantly more than the original fine by the police plus missed their flight.
snow report
julietp wrote:
Someone I know was pulled at passport control Geneva for unpaid speeding fines in Switzerland. They were charged significantly more than the original fine by the police plus missed their flight.

I know someone who had the police turn up at his hotel in mallorca last month, for a speeding offence in france earlier this year
snow report
@Mr.Egg, that has to be BS!
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@Mr.Egg, that has to be BS!

Nope.
He was told not to move hotels. Lucky not to be arrested. He confirmed his details to spanish police, who went off to confirm the details with french police.
snow report
@Mr.Egg,

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7261337/French-police-demand-details-210-000-British-drivers-2019-already.html
snow conditions
The Brits will feel a different atmosphere after Brexit.
snow conditions
Check your credit card for the hire car company usually charge you for the fine levied by the courts as well as their own admin fee thus no option to not pay fine
Otherwise my advice would have been to not pay fine and then report back to us after your next trip thru the empire on whether you get arrested or otherwise maltreated by the authorities
Purely as a way of proving or disproving such myths and fake news
that seem to surround such heinous crimes
latest report
My understanding is that your DoB being visible externally on the letter is a GDPR breach. Certainly in the UK this would be taken very seriously. Not sure how you'd report and/or pursue the issue in this case but there should be a way.
snow conditions
This same kind of question come up on this Forum quite often.

You have to ask yourself this..

Do you ignore speeding tickets in your own country?
latest report
Snowsartre ...... I think the answer is a bit more prosaic .......

You will effectively be barring yourself from most of the worthwhile snow in Europe, and whatever other trip you might want to take, for the sake of 65 euros ....... which doesn't make any kind of sense.

You can almost guarantee it will be flagged up on entering the EU in future and will be an even bigger pain to deal with at that point than now.

Grudgingly pay it and move on .......
snow conditions
I go through the same “how can I get away without paying this” thought process. Then just end up paying it.
latest report
@sugarmoma666, absolutely! Anyone know the Austrian equivalent of the ICO? This data breach has been highly distressing; I have suffered erectile dysfunction to boost with the worry. Nothing that a grace and favour apartment in Innsbruck won’t assuage my Austrian chums!

@BCjohnny, @Themasterpiece,
snow report
snow conditions
@Whitegold, not if returning to EU some day in the future is part of your long term plan. They have computers n' networks n' stuff as well ya know...
Idiot.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A week skiing can cost well over a thousand and you are nitpicking over 65, risking lots of skiing in the future?

That’s a cheap dinner for two plus wine. If you didn’t like said dinner, would you do a runner?

Pay and move on. 2-300 might be worth contesting. That isn’t.
latest report
@Orange200, fair.
snow report
I received 3 speeding fines from Switzerland (making time from Zurich to Engelberg), avoided them for a while, then the clincher - moved house! I was slightly worried the next time I went into Switzerland that I would be pulled aside at customs, but it's been fine since...
snow report
@Mr.Egg, You are wrong to assume debt collecting firms have NO legal powers. They can and often WILL pursue a debtor through the civil courts especially when they can see such a debtor has the means to pay. Oh and in case anyone thinks I may be wrong. I was a debt collector for 20 years. If people don't pay their bills of whatever nature they deserve all they get!
snow report
Pay up .. and then forget about it.

I got a shock when I went to pick up my car from a multi story car park in Cambridge on the bank holiday Monday a few days ago.

Put the ticket in and the machine said £25.30 ... please Puzzled

I had been parked for 5 hours and 3 minutes.

I'll stick to park and ride in future.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy