Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the longest continuous vertical drop in Europe -.pisted?

Poster: A snowHead
And what is the longest continuous piste too?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Longest - cascades in Grand Massif ? 14km I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sarenne at Alpe D’Huez is 16km, with a drop of 1,470m.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The drop from Aguille Rouge to Let Pré/Villaroger in Les Arcs area I thought was one of the greatest pisted vertical. Don't think it matches the others for distance though.

Claims For Serene? In Alps d Huez to be the longest distance seem to be prominent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les 2 Alpes top of glacier to bottom can all be done in one run. 2000 m vertical has to be one of the biggest.
La serenne for longest piste.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From the top of Cervinia at 3,883 metres down to Valtournenche at 1,524 metres is a 20 km long run according to this website: https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/a/107281/the-longest-ski-runs-in-the-alps
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
From the top of Cervinia at 3,883 metres down to Valtournenche at 1,524 metres is a 20 km long run according to this website: https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/a/107281/the-longest-ski-runs-in-the-alps

Valtournenche like to market that. But it is a bit of a cheat to call it continuous. Just past Colle Superiore delle Cime Bianche you have to get on a short lift to take you up into the Valtournenche bowl. Still a nice run mind. In that resort you can ski continuously from the Klein Matterhorn (3883m) to Zermatt (1620m) or Breuil-Cervinia (2050m).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
Sarenne at Alpe D’Huez is 16km, with a drop of 1,470m.

Sarenne is under 10km with a drop of 1670 meters. That gives around 15 minutes skiing for the average punter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s not the length but what you do with it that counts! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Parsenn in Davos down to Kublis is a reasonable descent, about 2000 m of vertical.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought the biggest pisted vertical was to Zermatt from klein Matterhorn. Unpisted la Grave. Vertical drop easy to establish!

Longest pisted run? Not sure. Piste length is a bit tricky as I think that the resort figures might be a bit dodgy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's the ski run down to the toilet you are having problems finding.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JoyZipper wrote:
Longest - cascades in Grand Massif ? 14km I think.

Its a fib, they measure as a skier actually skis ie. linked semi circles

Straight it is 9km
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saas-Fee, the top T-Bar lifts are around 3550-3600, and the village is at 1800, so the drop is 1750-1800M
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gordyjh,
Exactly - Wide runs can also have their merit, as well as those with varied terrain that go up and down a lot, and those which allow themselves to be ridden backwards / switch.
Anything which provides prolonged excitement, is physically engaging, and that does not finish unexpectedly soon.
Although some long ones can be quite sloppy at the end like the ironically named "Grand Paradis", and although it's length is considerable (10KM) it goes very low, is pretty flat, it takes a lot of effort for the last few minutes and has its ending in a car park.
ski holidays
Chamonix's Grands Montets drops from 3275m to 1252m - over 2000m. Lift served off piste: Aiguille du Midi to Chamonix, 3777m to 1012m - over 2700m, admittedly with a slight climb in the middle.
latest report
Not sure about length-but Zermatt-3820 at top of Klein Matterhorn down to the town at 1620 most be the biggest vertical you can ski in one hit without needing a lift.
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Valtournenche like to market that. But it is a bit of a cheat to call it continuous. Just past Colle Superiore delle Cime Bianche you have to get on a short lift to take you up into the Valtournenche bowl. Still a nice run mind. In that resort you can ski continuously from the Klein Matterhorn (3883m) to Zermatt (1620m) or Breuil-Cervinia (2050m).

I seem to recall doing that when I was there, the piste map suggests there's a "high line" which one could take that goes "above" the lift and is continuous. I thought we had just messed up. Whichever way round is a fun blaster of a piste, I remember a series of rollers about half way down that were great fun.
latest report
No idea how long this is but the top of Pic Blanc above Alpe d'Huez to L'Enversin d'Oz is 2200m drop and all on piste, with no link lifts, however the tunnel is stretching the term pisted! However it is superb if the snow is good, black at top and bottom with red and blue in the middle.
snow conditions
What about the run from the top of the glacier in Sölden back down to village?

Not got the details to hand but have ‘some’ recollection of it being one of the longest in Austria.
snow conditions
There is the Inferno race run down from the top of Murren to Lauterbrunnen. Strictly I suppose you would say that was two pistes, though.
snow conditions
@Zorrac, ha ha, you're probably right there. At Easter, I reckon I did more than +16km on Cascades with all my turns etc but the kids just straightlined it. I got a bit jumpy at the hairpins at the bottom esp in the heavy sugar and they just flew over it all...grrrrr. If it is open this coming season might track the kids and me to see the difference.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 4-10-18 11:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rogg wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

I seem to recall doing that when I was there, the piste map suggests there's a "high line" which one could take that goes "above" the lift and is continuous. I thought we had just messed up. Whichever way round is a fun blaster of a piste, I remember a series of rollers about half way down that were great fun.

Very Happy Yes. The piste map is misleading. You are not the first person to be fooled by it. The piste that is shown is the one that goes down (only about 100m) from the top of the Valtournenche bowl to take you to the drag lift you use to get you over from Valtournenche to the Cervinia bowl. I agree with you though: notwithstanding that little lift ride up, blasting off the top of Klein Matterhorn and then ending up way down in Valtournenche is a great ride.
latest report
Zell am Ziller in the Zillertal valley has now put in a black home run which opens up the top to bottom without a lift....2000m vertical from 2550m down to 550m in the valley
ski holidays
Les Arcs? Aguille Rouge (3226m) down to Villaroger (1200m), 2026m vertical in a single run with no flat bits (that I can think of).
snow conditions
Quote:

What about the run from the top of the glacier in Sölden back down to village?

Not got the details to hand but have ‘some’ recollection of it being one of the longest in Austria.

My memory of this is that it is about 1700m.
latest report
Yes Klein Matterhorn back to Zermatt is 10 miles and 7,424 feet of decent. Its all lift served, continuous and reliable from about January. Its a good challenge to do it without stopping Laughing
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Yes Klein Matterhorn back to Zermatt is 10 miles and 7,424 feet of decent. Its all lift served, continuous and reliable from about January. Its a good challenge to do it without stopping Laughing

They usually have it open for the Christmas week. It would have to be disastrous snow for them not to get it open. all be it in a couple of years in this decade the last stretch into town was along artificial snow with brown fields either side!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is this a p!ssing contest?
snow report
La Grave when it hasn't snowed in a while. Skier packed.
ski holidays
The Marmolada in the Dolomites has a good long run down to Malga Ciapela\. Starts off as a really good red and finishes as an easy blue. 1815 m vertical.

But I enjoyed the run down to Valtournenche from the Plateau Rosa on the Cervinia side. Make sure you understand the options to return to Cervinia.
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
Chamonix's Grands Montets drops from 3275m to 1252m - over 2000m. Lift served off piste: Aiguille du Midi to Chamonix, 3777m to 1012m - over 2700m, admittedly with a slight climb in the middle.

I was going to call GM to Argentierre too as I reckon that does count as a piste (not this season to come clearly) even if it can't often be accused of brutal grooming. I reckon the climb in the middle of AdM to Chx discounts that one though, so would have to suggest top of the Toule to Courmayeur, what's that, about 2500m?
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
Chamcham wrote:

I was going to call GM to Argentierre too as I reckon that does count as a piste (not this season to come clearly) even if it can't often be accused of brutal grooming. I reckon the climb in the middle of AdM to Chx discounts that one though, so would have to suggest top of the Toule to Courmayeur, what's that, about 2500m?

Toule to Courmayuer is only 2.2km sorry.

AdM to Chx is possible without the climb, just via some more challenging routes.

Biggest skiable vert Mont Blanc to Le Fayet - 4810 to 580 = 4230m, theoretically there are greater verticals to be skied in Canada and Alaska (but not the Himalayas) but AFAIK the have never been skied in one go.
snow conditions
@Idris, That sounds like fun. Do you have any links or videos of that?
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Is this a p!ssing contest?

That's for another thread Shirley Laughing Laughing
latest report
Idris wrote:

Biggest skiable vert Mont Blanc to Le Fayet - 4810 to 580 = 4230m, theoretically there are greater verticals to be skied in Canada and Alaska (but not the Himalayas) but AFAIK the have never been skied in one go.

I think only Logan (Canada) and Denali (Alaska) though - at least going by prominence on wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_highest_major_summits_of_Canada

This is also an interesting list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_peaks_by_prominence#Prominence_table
ski holidays
? Cares?
latest report
TQA wrote:
The Marmolada in the Dolomites has a good long run down to Malga Ciapela\. Starts off as a really good red and finishes as an easy blue. 1815 m vertical.

But I enjoyed the run down to Valtournenche from the Plateau Rosa on the Cervinia side. Make sure you understand the options to return to Cervinia.

Is there a shuttle bus that runs from Valtournenche to Cervinia?
snow conditions
@enduroaid, from ski resort.info website

“Übergangsjoch in Zell am Ziller down to the base · Length 10 km · Elevation difference 1920 m”

Not bad for Austria.
latest report
sbooker wrote:
TQA wrote:

Is there a shuttle bus that runs from Valtournenche to Cervinia?

Not sure it is a "shuttle bus". There is a bus but it just a normal bus and is not that frequent. I have never taken it myself (or taken a taxi). It is easiest just to get the lifts back up and then ski down to Cervinia.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy