Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend from Geneva in Jan - (I have searched but trying to finalise)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys - afraid its another Weekend away question. Just wondering if there is anywhere I have missed and could do with some input please?

I've booked my flights to Geneva Friday 4th Jan 7am - Tue 8th Jan 21:30 for £38 - bargain!
Hire car - between 1-2 hours
oh, some context - 2 Adults both 50 ish, decent skiiers, like the mileage and like a few beers during Apres, maybe a band but not bothered about the early hours

I'm waiting for the hotel booking till nearer the time but here are my thoughts on resort:

1. PDS - Great but done it to death - but appreciate it may be the default option
2. Flaine - even though the skiing is supposed to be great, don't fancy it - more of a SC / CC place so Apres crap??
3. Megeve - toooo expensive for a quick weekend
4. Chamonix - really don't fancy this at all. No justification behind that, just don't!
5. Les Contamines - read a lot of good stuff about this place - opinions please?
6. Courmayeur - been but really low on mileage - La Thuile for a day too though
7. Pila - this could very well be an option
8. La Clusaz?
St Gervais?
9. Switzerland - too expensive

Any additions to the above would be great - any hidden gems!

Thanks
Gary
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3,5 & 9 are all on same pass. 2,4 & 6 are all within 30 mins by car of StG but I would not count of having full snow that early.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Jonny - I'll be looking at the snow reports around xmas to decide on the hotel. interesting to know that 359 are on the same pass!! Do you know Contamines?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaz_H, Contamines is great. In many ways but Flaine is probably party central in comparison.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just bear in mind that the Friday night is the last night of New Year week, and so accommodation may be hard to find for the whole of that weekend in one place. Not sure whether waiting till the last minute will necessarily work. Hotels hold out for week long bookings until they realise it isn't going to happen, and availability may be limited to hotels in the valley bottom rather than in resort. I've just done a quick search via booking.com for Les Carroz as an example. Limited availability for 4-8 Jan, and oodles more if you start on 5th.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gaz_H wrote:

9. Switzerland - too expensive

No more so than Chamonix? Lift pass is actually slightly cheaper... 72chf vs 65 euro

Verbier’s worth a look for your criteria. Although agree the Friday night will be difficult.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gaz_H, do you have a budget in mind for your accommodation and food?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did Les Contamines for a weekend. Really liked it. Good ski area and proper village. Easy (if you are careful about exactly which I route the GPS chooses!) and short drive from Geneva. There are lots of references to it if you search here and quite a few who go there a lot.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Contamines
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No contest.

Verbier.

Best resort on Earth.

Just 30 seconds on Google shows a hotel in that January 2019 window for ~£50 pppn.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If mileage is the main skiing criterion, then it might be worth a couple of nights in each of 2 resorts. In France, I'd probably go for 2 out of Contamines, Flaine and La Clusaz. In Italy, La Thuile and Courmayeur (I do like Pila, but it doesn't feel like a high mileage place, as you're mostly in the same extended bowl, and have a few slow lifts and traverses across). In Switzerland you could stay in Le Chable and mostly ski in Verbier, with a day in Bruson, and drink in Verbier for a while before getting the lift down to Le Chable. Another Swiss option could be Villars / Diablerets, but it's not that large

Re the Apres, you'll hit the last day or two of people out for New Year, then it will be dead, apart from some seasonnaires finally getting a night off after peak time. The time of season is likely to be more significant than where you go.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the input - I'm looking at StG or Contamines - eve though I'm at the end of the NYE week there is a still a few choices on hotel rooms. Appreciate early Jan is not the busiest but which of the two would be livelier?

1. StG - lower but better links
2. LesC - not linked but a 10 min drive and better at Apres?????
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I certainly see more UK reg cars in LesC than in StG. So that my indicate a more party scene. but if you want to drink at the Folle Duce then you will have to work out how you are getting back to LesC if that's what you chose.
Normally after a days skiing & good food I am tucked up in bed before all that starts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dont know about StG but the 2 evenings we were in LesC (incl a Sat night) it looked and felt pretty quiet. Jedster is a good source of info on LesC.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We may be talking quite V's very quite. The thought of Magaluf in the snow fills me with horror
snow report
@Gaz_H, St G best of those two, because of links into EMB I think.

Megeve may not be all that expensive at that low demand time of the season. Livelier than either St G or Les C.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
We may be talking quite V's very quite.

Serious question... what do you mean by the above? Puzzled
snow report
@Bergmeister, cant speak much for Les C but StG is very restaurant focused, there is really only 3 bars & only 1 of them play's music (Pur Bar), there is the Oboose bar by the gondola which get more lively but don't expect night clubs
snow conditions
Guys - 4 or so bars will do - not interested in 'Discos' haha. I'm very wary of French resorts, with their reputation of 'rolling up the pavements' after dark, this was after wondering around Chatel in 2005 with no bars at all and even fewer people!!!

G
snow report
Guys - Now started looking at the accommodation - Flaine in Early Jan, anything at night to do?! I know the answer will most likely be a No as its early Jan in France but worth the ask.

I've seen 'Vacances La Forêt ' in Flaine. Good location, its seems to be?

Thanks
Gaz
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
No contest.

Verbier.

Best resort on Earth.

Just 30 seconds on Google shows a hotel in that January 2019 window for ~£50 pppn.

Verbier is something special, I agree. Worth the spend, and if you can't find something for Friday night, stay out of town and drive in early.
snow report
Courmayeur would be a good destination.
ski holidays
@Gaz_H, I'm not sure why you think there won't be anything to do at night! Whilst it's not party-central, there are a few bars (although maybe not as many as 4) that stay open late.

Forêt is the 'upper' area of Flaine, and you get down to the Forum area using one of two lifts (not ski lifts, just regular ones) in a few seconds. Vacances La Forêt is only a few yards from the snow, so a good position. I'm pretty certain that it is one of the renovated blocks.
snow conditions
@Gaz_H, Les Carroz is a decent call. You're linked to the Flaine area, it's a proper village and the drive from/to the airport is quicker.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy