Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres and changing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Essentially it looks as though the existing legal requirements indicated by the blue sign for certain routes is to be extended to designated region as blanket coverage in winter period.

If that's so, being equipped is the same as before for drivers, just with larger geographical observance it appears.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ski3, sort of correct as I understand it. Though did the blue signs make it a legal requirement or was it purely a recommendation to have chains? I don't think so. Whereas now it will be a legal requirement (blanket coverage in the region) as you say.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
@ski3, sort of correct as I understand it. Though did the blue signs make it a legal requirement or was it purely a recommendation to have chains? I don't think so. Whereas now it will be a legal requirement (blanket coverage in the region) as you say.

Yes as I understood it a legal requirement once you passed those blue signs on a road designated as needing to run traction provision. Not sure it they had time of year noted on them or there was something like December to March (for example) legislative enforcement.

As an example. Driving along the valley in Morillon village, then taking the turn up to 1100 ski station the road was signed as such 100mtrs or so up in recognizing it's gradient/severity when snow covered. Normally ploughed as bus route etc it's generally clear and not needing contingency, but in snowfall it's an absolute requirement because of risk. You're obviously expected to comply and would think it had insurance implications too as the whole of that road and 1100 village would be under those conditions legally if unfortunately involved in an accident.

Same up to Les Arcs (and any others), notification leaving BsM as to route status which I've always understood as being legally required to be equipped with accepted winter traction contingency.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

no, not a Skoda - but if you buy rims with winter tyres pre-fitted, you'll have to either specify them with pressure sensors pre-installed, or the first thing you'll have to do is to get a tyre fitter to remove the tyres and put a sensor in place.

I didn't know that. I thought my wife's Skoda simply compared the number of rotations the wheel did compared to the others and reported if there was a difference. The tyre with the inconsistent number of rotations was then flashed up to check.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
Whereas now it will be a legal requirement (blanket coverage in the region) as you say.

Not a region, it is village by village. For example behind my work Corenc is not part of the zone but from the Col de Vence (le Sappey) at 800 meters you are in the zone - the blue sign is at the bottom of the hill at Corenc so is actually more extensive than the zone the new law covers.

None of Grenoble, The Terres froides or Gresivaudan are covered by the law - the Terres froides is surprising as it is very snowy in the winter.

You will be able to drive from Lyon to Grenoble without winter equipment over the col de Rossatière, which is, ahem, ambitious, as you can see from this autoroute camera screen shot.

anyway all moot this year as the law will not be enforced, general elections obliges.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy