Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gore-Tex/Quality hardshell for hobbit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Long time lurker first time poster! I’m 5’5 and about 58kg. I’m athletically built and am looking to start ski touring after falling in love with skiing late in life. I’m trying to buy a Gore-Tex or quality hardshell jacket for someone my size but am failing miserably...I was wondering if you lovely people have some advice or directions about where to go?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Have you looked at kids sizes for some of the high-end brands ? They may be a bit cheaper than the adult size but still the same fabric.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I actually have! However, it seems that there isn’t actually much out there! I notice that Norrøna does Gore-Tex stuff but no one else.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One word .. Arcteryx

Bomb proof
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would’ve loved to get some as their stuff looks sick! However, they don’t do kids or XS in my size...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Salewa & Jack Wolfskin do waterproof jackets for children too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Decathlon? Do loads of touring kit, at least, their FR shops do...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm confused. I'm 5'4" and 58 kilos and don't feel like a hobbit. I used to be 5'5" till I got old but adult sizes fit me fine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Scott Vertic GTX is excellent: https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-vertic-gtx-3l-women-s-jacket and is available in your size (click on the size chart).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bluegs87, I'm slightly smaller than you (5'4" and 54kg) and wear small generally, never kids. There aren't loads of options out there, I'll give you that. Mine's Mountain Equipment, but Drylite rather than Goretex (it seems fine to me, done two seasons so far, but they sell both).

Sweet Protection is another option, though when I tried a jacket from them the shape was all wrong. I have a nice pair of shell trousers from them though. Same issue with Haglofs, but it might work for you.

As above, Arcteryx and Norrøna (try the outlet), but a bit more expensive. Sorry, can't comment on the fit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a bit bigger but correct-weight/ fit. It is a problem in that clothing gets larger every year.
I tried (VAT free) kid's stuff, but children are a physically different shape from adult males. It doesn't work.

I hear that there is a fair bit of size variation in some brands. 72cm is obviously no longer 72cm, but precisely what it actually is depends on brand and range. It's probably worth just trying a lot of "small" stuff as some of it may actually be small.

I have some Arc stuff on order for this season which claims to be "slim fit". I don't yet know if that'll work or it it's a range for fat people who want to feel slim.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a Norrona medium GoreTex jacket I picked up in the sale last year. Im 185cm and 74kg and its a perfect fit. It's fairly neat fitting and the sleeves and body are cut long. I'm quite lanky so this suits me but might not suit other body shapes. I also have a Helly Hansen in medium and the sleeves and body are much shorter and roomier. I got it about 10 years ago and Ive had no problems with their cheapest 'Helly Tech Protection' membrane in all weathers, although it's not the most breathable if you're working really hard.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking for similar/v close dimensions to you recently, you don't say male/female?

But one of the best fit was "Norrona W Rodal" the w being women but the jacket has no gender perception flagging so can't see why, apart from the cut, it would be designated as such.

As previous post says, they are really well tailored with space in all the right places and on this one no real surplus. Just really good design and attention to detail and really felt it would last and perform as you'd want it too. We were comparing to an old and very good performing Arcteryx which so far has been faultless at about 15yrs old.

The Norrona was size 10 for someone of 61kgs but next size up would allow more layers to be deployed if needed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy