Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Haute Route Disaster Article from OO

Poster: A snowHead
@valais2, I remember that passage and it did strike me as a little arbitrary. I mean, you could argue that the root cause was him deciding to climb that mountain in the first place! And I’m sure that if you asked him about his packing before the incident, he would have said that going light would allow him to move faster etc which makes it safer…
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB wrote:
you can still experience a loss of the GPS system, as happened during the tragedy for some of the time.[...] For the geeks
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8838057/
https://www.retinapost.com/what-causes-gps-signals-to-get-lost/
Neither of those is actually is about "loss of the GPS system", which is incredible.
  1. Your first reference looks machine generated and doesn't go beyond Chat-GPT type text on GPS error sources. It does mention multipath and references an old paper on GPS multipath relating to tall buildings and "forests". Your reference incorrectly suggests multipath is a loss of signal, where as of course it's precisely the opposite. The magnitude of the errors claimed in the old paper (using now obsolete "GPS") are sub-meter.

2. Your second reference.. again is about multipath, but you're describing outages, which is not the same concept at all. Their multipath experiments in mountains show an error of... up to a few meters in tricky terrain, which their algorithm claims to reduce.
It's the internet, but this isn't evidence for anything relevant.

Applications like PhoneFind are important in saving lives in the UK rescue scene, and of course rely on GPS. As House successfully did in this specific case.

--

BCH wrote:
That’s a really exposed spot they were caught out in - finding the entry point round the corner to the Vignettes is not straightforward even in good weather ...
I have old images of the summer route out from the hut looking over at that ridge. You can see that it's a "needle threading" job, on the descent you would have to know precisely where to turn left, especially if there were no tracks. You could not "off aim" or any of that, you'd have to dead reckon with an altimeter in a storm.

My photo is last century, but I don't remember/ can't see those cairns on it. Presumably they are placed on the ridge to mark either the summer or the winter traverse across to the hut? If that's the case, I'd expect the guide to know about them. Whilst the last bit from there isn't trivial, I suspect the guide could have made it if he'd been functional at that point, but of course he wasn't. The idea that a guide could didn't even have a backup pair of goggles speaks volumes. .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arno, yes that’s absolutely right … play safe … don’t do a high risk route as they did, particularly jumping in the deep end in South America with an Alpine strategy. The journey up the flutings sounds horrendous. Good to read and light years above my ability. But it’s interesting that ‘desperate to get down’ and ‘ridge traverse manageable but taking much longer than we expected’ was something which is peppered throughout the descent section. So I felt that undue rushing was a feature of the descent. I’ve been there…bad decisions and mistakes easy if you feel you are at risk from being behind schedule. And they had no means of melting snow, so no means of extending the descent by a day or so. But you are right, that all may be too much post-hoc rationalisation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@phil_w,

Where did I specifically say those two links were about loss of signal? (I didn't)

"Deliberate jamming" is however mentioned in the second link, this leads to a loss of signal reception.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few things that struck me:

#1 The majority of groups seemed to sack off the idea either staying in the Dix for the day or going down. It seems 3 separate groups decided against that. I would be questioning why go against the majority? There was no question that everyone knew a storm was blowing from what I can make out. So why take the risk?

#2 If you do take the risk surely you would inform the hut, colleagues, friends of your plans. There were people in the hut that would surely have gone out to the cairns to try to find them. Would have been quite clear early afternoon there were issues. Just seems like a compounding error.

#3 Seemed like the guide was bloody minded. Was he always like that?

#4 We are told all the time not to rely on tech. My understanding that in bad weather that route is almost impossible (or at least very dangerous) without GPS. So surely the don't rely on tech means you don't go.

#5 Not eating and drinking and continuing on seems another faux pas. I remember reading once that if you are lost you should stop, eat and drink, make a plan. It seemed like they were just ploughing on.

We all make mistakes and get in dicey situations once in a while but you would hope an experienced guide would know much better how to handle the situation. Am I being harsh?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, I suspect a lot of this came down to there being no particularly good options once they got a certain way up the Pigne. It’s all glaciated up there so just heading back the way you came would be “non trivial” in zero vis

It doesn’t answer your question of why they didn’t just stay in the Dix hut or head down. It is pretty straightforward getting down to Arolla from there and if memory serves you can get over to Zermatt in a (big) day from Arolla so it wouldn’t have scuppered their plans of completing the route
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is the PisteHors report: https://pistehors.com/25418532/4-deaths-on-chamonix-zermatt-haute-route

what I remember of the day was that we were skiing in Val d'Isere but had already decided to stop around 2pm because of the forecast and head home. The wind got up around midday and was very strong at altitude but fine in the valleys.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
phil_w wrote:

BCH wrote:
That’s a really exposed spot they were caught out in - finding the entry point round the corner to the Vignettes is not straightforward even in good weather ...
I have old images of the summer route out from the hut looking over at that ridge. You can see that it's a "needle threading" job, on the descent you would have to know precisely where to turn left, especially if there were no tracks. You could not "off aim" or any of that, you'd have to dead reckon with an altimeter in a storm.

My photo is last century, but I don't remember/ can't see those cairns on it. Presumably they are placed on the ridge to mark either the summer or the winter traverse across to the hut? If that's the case, I'd expect the guide to know about them. Whilst the last bit from there isn't trivial, I suspect the guide could have made it if he'd been functional at that point, but of course he wasn't. The idea that a guide could didn't even have a backup pair of goggles speaks volumes. .

Here are my pics from last year from the Vignettes back to the ridge line. Coming round in the wrong place could take you over the rock bands visible - I guess this is what happened to the guide? It’s a wind scoured ridge especially with Southerly winds so there’s nowhere to hide. We came in the top entrance which was very steep for a few turns. Not a place I’d want to navigate in bad weather (worse with big, tired group!)

I guess there’s your Cairns

Seems like they took a chance with the weather window and and it closed faster and worse than expected. There is not really an easy way back out from the Pigne d’Arolla so it does seem like a strange gamble to take
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/snow-sports/chamonix-zermatt-alps-haute-route-disaster/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
Seems like they took a chance with the weather window and and it closed faster and worse than expected. There is not really an easy way back out from the Pigne d’Arolla so it does seem like a strange gamble to take

Yeah, I kind of get it if the route had a difficult start but getting easier as the day/weather worsens and/or there was an out but it seems like the reverse that the hard parts/navigation was later in the day. As you say - strange.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those are the shots... I think this is the same place shot in summer 1984, half a century ago, film and 1970s camera technology.

I definitely remember a water pipe somewhere, but I can't see it in any of my old shots, so maybe it wasn't, or maybe it was somewhere else back then.

Those look like the cairns. In the video, from them you could see the hut, on a clear day of course. Looking at them they don't solve the problem for people without electronics. The video also suggests the party were at one point at the far end of the pipe and they knew it. The guide must have known how to get from both of those places to the hut... I guess he was done by then.

The route back from the Dix to Arolla is over the Pas De Chevre. I don't think the video mentions them even considering that in the video. They were of course "on a schedule", a big risky thing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
For the geeks
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8838057/

https://www.retinapost.com/what-causes-gps-signals-to-get-lost/

yeah sure - if you haven't got a clean angle on satellites because of a rock buttress, you are in a cave or forest or something, yeah. But it's unlikely that the system would be "down"? solar storm or manoeuvring satellites very unusual?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
4 of us did that same route (guided) a few years ago. After a guides meeting in the Dix Hut, our guide said that the weather forecast for the day was poor, so the 2 other guides had suggested that we all travel together, via the Pigne D'Arolla summit to the Vignette Hut (safety in numbers?) However, the other 2 groups were much faster than us; though when our guide mentioned that, the other 2 said it wasn't a problem and we would still stick together. Our guide discussed it with us and explained that there was an alternative route, via the Pas De Chevre, missing out the Pigne summit - which he said was his preference. We went with our guide's alternative suggestion and then climbed the Pigne the following day (in glorious weather) Very Happy.

This article is so sad and really gave me food for thought, having been there, on that route, in similar circumstances. It really did make me think about how much trust people like us put in guides...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, who was the guide? Deserves credit for that recommendation IMO! Following a faster group in bad conditions in an exposed area like that does not sound like a sensible idea to me. Just puts everyone at more risk.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Use of guides sounds a bit like use of third parties in IT sometimes. Quite often business management think they don't require management which is false. Especially if it's a new relationship.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
Use of guides sounds a bit like use of third parties in IT sometimes. Quite often business management think they don't require management which is false. Especially if it's a new relationship.

Good point. Maybe it's an age/experience thing - but we would now have no hesitation in questioning a guide if we were even the slightest bit uncomfortable. We had a great ski touring guide recently in France who advised us at the outset to let him know if we were worried or uncomfortable at any point of the ascent or descent. Very Happy
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
climbed the Pigne the following day (in glorious weather) Very Happy.

Every time the Haunte Route was mentioned, there’s always the obligatory “stunning scenery” alongside. I would have naively thought that be the motivation for many to do it.

phil_w wrote:

They were of course "on a schedule", a big risky thing.

Risk aside, climbing the “stunning scenery” peak in a storm that you can’t see around seem to defeat that very purpose. Or was that nothing but a marketing phrase to sell the route? rolling eyes

I’ve never found point-to-point, fixed route organized “tour” particularly appealing, whether it’s on bike or on ski. Even disregarding the hassle of daily packing and unpacking, “reaching the destination” just goes contrary to my idea of “holiday” or enjoyment of the outdoors. Add to that the “schedule” of having to do a segment of said fix route “tour” on days when weather is more suitable for stay indoors with a good book, missing the supposedly stunning scenery notwithstanding.

To me, “destination” and “schedule” speaks “work” rather than “holiday”.

For the unfortunate party in question, all they had to do was stay put at Dix for a day.
snow conditions
@abc, plus sleeping in refuge. A lot of the French huts are not guarded in the winter and you end up carrying a stove, food etc and it sucks the joy out of the skiing.

It is an issue with guides as you can see the documentary the guide had a job in sardinia following the HR and this perhaps had some bearing on his decisions. Like you, it reminded me of my job where the bosses never want you to have a second of downtime so I rush from one job to another because the only thing that matters is as close to 100% billing in the monthly reports. You need a bit of slack for a well functioning system.

Back to guides, I remember when I climbed Mont Blanc the guided groups had turn back times. Don't reach the final col by 8am, too late for the guide who would reroute to another summit or turn around. My group, the one I was co leading, had an easy schedule from the cosmics of 2 hours to each of the cols. We arrived almost last at the summit at 9am, the other groups had already gone down. We were 4 and the fly in the ointment was the two inexperienced members had both arranged to do stuff that evening ! and wanted to descend as quickly as possible. In the end we arrived back in St Gervais around 9pm. We should probably have returned via the 3 monts blanc as I think we'd have made it fairly easily to the cable car before it shut.

As for staying put. I remember Ken Roberts, who posted on snowheads, told me about a tour he did with the Eagles in the Southern Alps. Ken realised a storm front was coming in and told the group he would head down first thing in the morning and somehow get back to his car. The rest of the group saw a logistical nightmare and said they'd wait out the storm. They waited all week for the weather to clear and the conditions to be safe and ended up following Ken's route down. Ken meanwhile had headed somewhere else to tour.
latest report
abc wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
climbed the Pigne the following day (in glorious weather) Very Happy.

Every time the Haunte Route was mentioned, there’s always the obligatory “stunning scenery” alongside. I would have naively thought that be the motivation for many to do it.

phil_w wrote:

They were of course "on a schedule", a big risky thing.

Risk aside, climbing the “stunning scenery” peak in a storm that you can’t see around seem to defeat that very purpose. Or was that nothing but a marketing phrase to sell the route? rolling eyes

I’ve never found point-to-point, fixed route organized “tour” particularly appealing, whether it’s on bike or on ski. Even disregarding the hassle of daily packing and unpacking, “reaching the destination” just goes contrary to my idea of “holiday” or enjoyment of the outdoors. Add to that the “schedule” of having to do a segment of said fix route “tour” on days when weather is more suitable for stay indoors with a good book, missing the supposedly stunning scenery notwithstanding.

To me, “destination” and “schedule” speaks “work” rather than “holiday”.

For the unfortunate party in question, all they had to do was stay put at Dix for a day.

We have done 20+ summer and winter point to point routes (particular highlights being the Haute Route on skis, Tour of Mont Blanc on foot, Stubai Höhenweg on foot and the Pennine Bridleway on mountain bike) and have enjoyed every single trip. The weather has not always been perfect but ruling out point to point trips means you are missing out on fantastic experiences. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:

We have done 20+ summer and winter point to point routes (particular highlights being the Haute Route on skis, Tour of Mont Blanc on foot, Stubai Höhenweg on foot and the Pennine Bridleway on mountain bike) and have enjoyed every single trip. The weather has not always been perfect but ruling out point to point trips means you are missing out on fantastic experiences. rolling eyes

But from hearing the detour “options” available, many of the refuges are reachable in more than one way. So I have the impression the “whole” Haute route can be done piece-meal.

Given most skiers would happily yo-yo up and down the same mountain many many times, albeit with motorized assistance of lifts, seems to me most should be just as happy spend a couple of nights in the same hut and tour around it? I can’t imagine the “route” being the only skiable path. That would eliminate the constant packing and unpacking. Or any uncertainty of weather in a 6 day long tour. All logistic issue that makes a holiday more stressful than necessary.

The “fantastic experience” you had, was it being in the mountains (ski touring, and/or staying in the huts)? Or was it really about reaching your destination at the scheduled date? You can have the former without the latter. That’s all I’m saying.

Or as a question, how much of the latter improves upon the former?
snow report
@abc, you can base yourself in a hut and do daytours. You can do a point to point tour. You can mix it up. There are indeed lots of variations of the Haute Route and there are lots of haute routes in different parts of the alps.

That’s the beauty of the European hit system - you can make what you want of it

For me, there is a feeling of accomplishment doing a point to point tour by skis (or by bike). It’s great feeling like you have traveled a long distance under your own steam even if (as my group did last year) you end up sharing a EUR600 taxi ride to get back to the beginning
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
As for staying put. I remember Ken Roberts, who posted on snowheads, told me about a tour he did with the Eagles in the Southern Alps. Ken realised a storm front was coming in and told the group he would head down first thing in the morning and somehow get back to his car. The rest of the group saw a logistical nightmare and said they'd wait out the storm. They waited all week for the weather to clear and the conditions to be safe and ended up following Ken's route down. Ken meanwhile had headed somewhere else to tour.

That's a great tale but I'm suspicious. #1 A storm lasted a week? #2 He descended alone in a storm? Glad it worked out but I'm not sure it was great move he thinks it was.

I do get the point that storms don't always blow out in 24 hours leaving a lovely clear day to continue. Or that any sort of iffy weather means you hole up. I think the point of the tragedy that this thread is about is more the multiple factors involved. Had the Vignette knew they were due in, had the guide had a working GPS, had the guide made an earlier call and found a better place to shelter, none of us would probably heard about it. I suspect there are many 100's of calls made that work out and so we don't hear about them. Apart from maybe the Ken's type stories - which I am sure in essence is genuine and not meant to a huge brag as such.
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
For me, there is a feeling of accomplishment doing a point to point tour by skis (or by bike). It’s great feeling like you have traveled a long distance under your own steam

I should clarify one thing which I failed to mention. When I said I find point-to-point tours unappealing, I meant to say tours that has a fixed ‘schedule’.

I quite understand your sentiment of ‘travel under your own steam’. That’s definitely some nice feeling of accomplishment.

With a flexible schedule, better yet, some build-in layover days, a point-to-point tour can have the best of both. Seeing a vast variety of scenery and conditions, without the hassle and hurry of daily moving of all of one’s belongings. And the build-in layover allows one to avoid bad weather days and to optimize days to get the best snow condition.

I believe one of the snowheads made a very long, point-to-point bike tour spanning 2 continents (Japan to Britain). I enjoyed his trip report enormously. In that trip, even though he had a “plan” which is a de factor schedule, he changed that plan frequently based on conditions. That kind of point-to-point tour I can see myself in.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
davidof wrote:

That's a great tale but I'm suspicious. #1 A storm lasted a week? #2 He descended alone in a storm? Glad it worked out but I'm not sure it was great move he thinks it was.

just like some teams in the video above, he descended before the storm arrived rather than hunkering down.

By the time it was safe to travel the team that had hunkered down had no time left to complete their tour and had to head down anyway.
snow conditions
@abc, It used to be, certainly in summer in the quieter parts of the alps, that you simply turned up at a hut to ask for a place for the night and there was lots of flexibility. In more recent times there has been a big move towards booking places (which was always true in the busier huts on popular routes like the Haute Route, or Mt Blanc) which takes away a good deal of spontaneity and allowance for bad weather etc. It can add to pressure to do a certain route no matter what the conditions so as to keep to hut bookings. I can see how some might see it as all too regimented but there is real pleasure and a sense of achievement in getting from point A to point B whether on skis, walking or bike. Simply basing yourself in a hut for a few days to climb some of the local peaks is not really the same.
ski holidays
@abc, totally fair - I’ve never done the Haute Route and it’s partly due to my perception of it being rather regimented for the reasons @munich_irish gives. A winter room Haute Route earlier in the season has some appeal…
ski holidays
Yeah I think it is... lack of flexibility in schedule and route which is where the initial ("root"?) risk comes in. After that it's how you manage it.

You get a similar thing in caving where people have to "book in advance" a cave to descend... and then the weather doesn't cooperate, but they take the risk because they won't be able to get back there for a long time if they don't. Those things affect risk taking. I note however that in the video that the guide House takes specific extra precautions. I'd be surprised if that isn't a fairly common occurrence, he didn't seem to think that either the weather or his response to it were remarkable. That's the professional guide doing his job, I'd say. He knew he could do it in a white out, but only if he had a complete recent GPS track.

Even decades ago we avoided the High Route because it was busy with those guided groups. There are lots of other places to go. When I first went to Monument Valley I hated it - it was a dusty place full of tourists, and the good stuff was too far away. Then I went with a local who knew how to get to the places the tourists don't know about. Then I got it.
latest report
The so called "Haute Route" is just some tourist thing that guides sell as a trip to punters. There are plenty of trips you can do without fighting for bunk space with snoring French ski tourers.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
The so called "Haute Route" is just some tourist thing that guides sell as a trip to punters. There are plenty of trips you can do without fighting for bunk space with snoring French ski tourers.

Are the French really worse for snoring than the Germans (or the Irish Smile)?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But few touring days in the Alps match Vignettes to Zermatt IME. And the fact that it is well travelled means you can do it in relative security without a guide (in good weather)
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
davidof wrote:

Are the French really worse for snoring than the Germans (or the Irish Smile)?

You are right
ski holidays
@davidof, ...re snoring I had worse in the Bertol Hut. Up there with the kids and the French guy next to me, in his sleep, suddenly rolled over and grabbed me in an embrace. Argh!
ski holidays
@Tristero, great link to SRF/youtube vid. Thanks

When you see the route to hut at approx. 4:10 I was thinking I wouldn't be exactly keen in good conditions (I hate heights/exposure).
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
there is real pleasure and a sense of achievement in getting from point A to point B whether on skis, walking or bike. Simply basing yourself in a hut for a few days to climb some of the local peaks is not really the same.

Like I said, I can understand the sentiment of “achievement” in point-to-point tours. Just not the logistic hassle on popular routes.
But as others pointed out, there’re less popular routes that doesn’t come with so much logistic issues. One just can’t brag about it when nobody else had heard of it, unlike the Haute R0ute.

Interestingly, there’s another thread on the record of climbing the 14 highest peaks in 7 months. The “challenge” is primarily logistic!

So, if getting all the logistic lined up to finish the route is part of the challenge one enjoys, I can see the Haute Route would be a fine achievement. Otherwise, it’s… well, a fine tour, with a lot of hassle.
ski holidays
phil_w wrote:
Yeah I think it is... lack of flexibility in schedule and route which is where the initial ("root"?) risk comes in. After that it's how you manage it.

I got the impression guided groups assumes the guide can “manage” such difficulties.

If the video was correct, many of the tourers opted to stay an extra night at the Dix hut to wait out the storm. So the booking inflexibility isn’t quite as harsh as it seems.

Quote:

I note however that in the video that the guide House takes specific extra precautions. I'd be surprised if that isn't a fairly common occurrence, he didn't seem to think that either the weather or his response to it were remarkable. That's the professional guide doing his job, I'd say. He knew he could do it in a white out, but only if he had a complete recent GPS track.

Just playing devil’s advocate. What if his GPS device cr@p out?

The “investigation” didn’t shed any light on what’s wrong with the Italian guide’s satellite phone. Had it worked, he could have raised the rescuers from the hut to guide him in. And we would have never heard of it as there would have been no disaster.
latest report
If you stay in a hut for longer than you booked because of weather or some other reason, you can end up sleeping on the benches in the public areas or on the floor using your spare clothes and rucksack as bedding / pillow. Trust me, this is less than comfortable. Weathering a bit of a storm to get to a bed can be a lot more attractive. The storm came approx. 4 hours earlier than expected.

These tech Gadgets can always screw up just when you need them, that‘s why you should always check & test them just before a major tour. e.g. After using my Garmin Fenix 6 watch for years it suddenly lost the maps recently. Of course I only realised this while trying to use it. Another time Garmin was hacked by the Russians. A map (real paper or downloaded) and compass should always be taken in the high mountains.
snow report
Most people do the Haute route starting on the weekend and going with the masses. I‘d only consider it starting midweek.
Prefer routes off the beaten track, away from the crowds which are more physically challenging myself.
snow report
If the weather’s bad most people cancel and the huts are half empty so it’s rarely an issue to stay an extra night due to bad weather and shift subsequent reservations. I don’t understand the logistics concerns? The huts are well stocked and with merino undies and base layers you can travel very light so apart from your toothbrush there’s no additional luggage to carry. Don’t knock the Haute Route until you’ve done it - in good weather and with a nice group of friends it’s a cracking experience.
snow report
Can I just return to the issue of psychology of group guiding…

This SPIEGEL article is quite a nice piece of old fashioned investigative journalism:

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/that-s-it-we-re-dead-disaster-strikes-along-the-alps-haute-route-a-1220184.html

It includes some details additional to the other articles quoted so far. This quote began to ring some bells for me:

Tommaso Piccioli says the guide, Mario Castiglioni, made fatal errors. He wasn't sufficiently equipped and didn't know the route. Piccioli says he's fighting to ensure this accident is not without consequence. Strict rules could be imposed for guides, for instance. "It's hard to talk about this," he says. But he does so anyway -- not least for his friend, Betti. "She died because of someone else's mistakes."

For Lisa Hagen, the matter of who is to blame isn't quite as clear. She says she knew Mario Castiglioni to be a responsible guide. He doesn't have the opportunity now to defend the choices he made. That's why she decided to speak up.

So….

I have done days with professional guides and there are some key reasons for using them, in my view.

they know an area or route inside out - they know the local avalanche risks, they know the terrain, they know where they are when things get tricky. Now I know that even centimetre-perfect knowledge can be confounded by white out and storm. But I have been in places in those conditions and - even under a lot of time pressure and fatigue - have navigated using a combination of strong mental model of location, dead reckoning, calculation of distance, compass and map, and gps. The thing in there is a model of where you should be. You need to know the place or route. That’s a strong reason for getting a guide: they know a route or area that you don’t.

They have a higher level of general mountain craft than you. Are they on top of route finding, decision-making, avalanche evaluation, kit use, contingency management, time-keeping, team evaluation and many more. If your level of mountaincraft is the same as the guide's, then they are essentially just an expensive same-status member of the group.

They have kit which you don’t have; for beginners, avalanche gear, axes, harnesses etc. For experts, satellite phones etc.

Question here…how many times had the guide done the route? If they had no or sparse direct knowledge of the route or specific demanding sections such as the descent and traverse to the Vignettes , then the only reason for the guide being there are reasons 2 and 3. I think this a quite a big deal.

I have done some big days with someone who thinks they are an excellent route finder and nav expert and who ALWAYS makes a mistake late in the day when they are tired. One trip (not with me) involved a descent into the wrong valley, which turned a nice day into a risky epic. My remedy when with him is to navigate in parallel by myself - it annoys the hell out of him but tough, on more than one occasion it has meant possibly live-saving and certainly time-saving ‘that’s not the right way’ moments.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 7-05-23 9:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
It is hard not to be sympathetic with Tommaso Piccioli's opinion. The guide has "devoir de diligence" under swiss federal law and Mario Castiglioni broke this on a number of levels. I'll post a link here for people to make up their own minds: https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2013/87/fr

and I think Steve House was sailing close to the wind. It would have been interesting to know what backup plan he had if the GPS had failed. It seems like retracing steps down the Serpentine is non-trivial.

It is interesting that the storm broke much earlier on the HR than where I was in Val d'Isere where it was very windy but still clear at 3000m at midday.
ski holidays
@davidof, very useful link - many thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy