Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

personal locator beacon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'll take some comfort in that mine cost around 1/60th of Bob's Very Happy

Won't tell the time tho..................
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
InReach Mini arrived yesterday - will take it out for a test "run" - literally later.

Have set up my mapping, though deleted the first Test Waypoint and message, so map is blank.

So after test "run" should show something, hopefully ????

https://eur-share.inreach.garmin.com/gavlar

Which is pretty cool and you can see where and when you sent text messages.

The app via BlueTooth worked first time (much relief as I'm android) as on the box it has a logo "Made for Iphone / Ipad / Ipod" - so that uses the GPS of the InReach with the mapping of the smart phone App.

Shed loads of other functionality, and some good navigation touches as well as obviously texting & messaging.

One major issue that left a bitter taste in the mouth, subscription pricing in $ on the Garmin site i.e $34.95 is £34.95 when you come to pay via UK site !!

I did try to register as being in France and using French Bank Acc which should have been ok as I'm on a French IP address.

Needless to say have raised this with Garmin.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam,
My understanding is that Garmin aren't the only people who can offer a tariff for the Inreach.
e.g. https://www.protegear.de/english/dataplans-for-inreach/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, the pricing differential is partly a function of VAT. I originally had a US account but they figured out I really lived in the UK and I had to start paying. The frustration was that for 3 yrs I only used it in the US so couldn’t see why VAT was relevant...

If you don’t know about it already, wx2inreach is a great free weather service. If you configure it as a preset message, it doesn’t even use up your allowance to request a report, tho still costs a message to receive one.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So used it, not totally in anger obviously (not pressing SOS), on my first solo ski tour, as I was not too sure exactly where I might be starting from, though had a good idea as to where I was heading.

Texted OH so she knew where and when I was starting from, then again when I was in transition and then once more when I was back at the van, plus she could monitor "live" where I was.

https://eur-share.inreach.garmin.com/gavlar

And she received texts all ok and could look at my progress.

Next test will be plotting a route and uploading it to use via the EarthMate app - I was still using my MemoryMap today couple of times as flat light and lack of snow in more normal places had me going well off the more usual route that I would normally take.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy