Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

why does no one ski in Spain?

Poster: A snowHead
i'm looking at ski resorts in terms of piste size and ability etc - family of 4 liking a mix of blues and reds, and it seems there are a number of spanish resorts that come up. we ski at half term so don't like france as busy, my wife doesn't like germanic food... so that rules out most of the alps, we've had some fab holidays in the dolomites. Spain looks interesting but i don't know anyone who has skiied there
so is it a great kept secret or is it very expensive or do brits like to go to spain in the summer and france and austria in the winter?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied for a week in Baqueria Beret in each of the last two winters, and will be spending another week there this winter. Nice resort, decent size, good range of terrain, very quiet midweek, a bit busier at the weekend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HugoC wrote:

so is it a great kept secret or is it very expensive or do brits like to go to spain in the summer and france and austria in the winter?

Few, if any, Tour Operators go there due to the longer flights.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When we run trips to Baqueria we work in partnership with Ski Inspired.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've booked for HT next year in Viehla a really nice looking 2 bedroom apartment via AirBNB, £1k for 8 days. Flights went through the roof so I'm now playing a tense waiting game hoping they'll come down again otherwise its Ryanair urgh. But overall price looks to be much better than tour operator incl car hire. Can't comment on how good though as this will be our first time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Neilson and Ski Miquel do packages to Baqueira
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always do book things independently, rather than go through package tours. Anyone else?
And I don’t Think the flights are further than Venice or Salzburg for eastern alps
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HugoC wrote:
I always do book things independently, rather than go through package tours. Anyone else?
And I don’t Think the flights are further than Venice or Salzburg for eastern alps
Fly to Toulouse, about a 2.5 hour drive to Baqueria. Nowhere near as busy for the UK half term as the French resorts of a similar size to Baqueria.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I skied once in the Spanish Pyrenees in the 80`s, at Molina, back then runs were limited and the time we went it was lacking in snow. We had to go up to Andorra for decent snow by the end of the week. I think that apart from a school trip it was the only TO ski trip I`ve done. I remember good food (I also dislike germanic food) lovely sunshine, but poor ski conditions. Friends have been to ski in the Sierra Navadas more recently and seem to have enjoyed it enough to go several years running. However I don`t think its the same kind of ski experience as the mega French resorts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most resorts in Switzerland and Austria offer a lot next to 'germanic food'
And food in the Dolomites is very much under germanic influence, with some Italian hints (Dolomites were Austrian for centuries until 1918)
Some silly prejudices and clichés here I'm afraid. And a bit hilarious too, assuming its coming from anglo-saxons....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langerzug, thanks
Yes I’m aware of that, and while she loves the wine, she’s not a fan of the typical fair and Alta badia may have some of the best mountain food in the alps. But it has become far more popular and we’re finding the price of accommodation higher and harder to come by.
The key question is less about that food (though important) but why does Spain get so little mention? Is there anything wrong with it or is it a very well kept secret
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hope other people ski in Spain as I have recently booked a Snoworks trip to Baqueira for late Jan. For some reason, Geneva flights with extra ski carriage costs were quite expensive for that week so I got a return business ticket to Toulouse for almost the same price as economy to Geneva. Another good reason to go!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HugoC, Have a look at Formigal, sounds like your kind of skiing and is quite a sizeable place. The hill is away from the village but you could also stop in the fort town of Jaca if you had a car, you could then visit some of the day resorts like Astun and Candanchu as well.

In my experience, the Spanish, in general, regard skiing as a weekend sport so from Mon to Fri lunchtime you are likely to have the place to yourself, Fri pm onwards and it gets busy, as all of Madrid pops up to the P's for the weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Name a resort and there's always someone who's been there when it's not been great. You can likely check the snow records online, but when I went Spain had the best snow in Europe. That's why I was there. I drove to Barcelona and drove up from there - it was maybe 3 hours. I followed the plough up the resort at the start of May.

The fact that other people don't really go should perhaps be seen as an additional positive thing. I can't answer what their motives may be, lack of imagination perhaps?

Food-wise, well it's possible to eat well in any country, even for Anglo-Saxons. In Spain you can also find lots of international cuisine, but for local stuff it's likely to be ham, and late.

Check possible additional hire car costs if you're going to hop the border. If hiring a car in Spain expect the hard sell and decline it all.

Oh, here you go, Masella from May a few years ago (noisy). From what I remember they had the best conditions in Europe at that point (clearly the off-piste was off):
https://vimeo.com/121837441
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Five years ago so much snow in the Pyrenees that many stations closed down....not that it stopped us Toofy Grin

We like lifts being shut :) from Weathercam
https://vimeo.com/59167934

Just an average day in the Pyrenees, considering it never really snows that much from Weathercam
https://vimeo.com/59165967

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 14-10-18 22:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
There are ~33 ski resorts in mainland Spain.

Baqueira Beret is the biggest.

Sierra Nevada is the highest.

Punto Ines is the smallest.

Madrid is the 2nd highest capital city in Western Europe. Encircled by mountains. You cannot miss them.

Spain is largely unskied by foreigners because most resorts are small, snowfall is typically average, there are almost no legendary steeps to generate headlines or a halo in the international media, and Spain is seen as "too far south" for snow and widely perceived across the world as a summer destination (Barcelona, Ibiza, etc.).

BB is the best station for overall experience.

SN is best for novelty (snow + sun + sea + North Africa).
ski holidays
Great lift served off-piste & freeride touring at Baqueira. Problem is that the word is slowing getting out which is not helped by threads like this rolling eyes
latest report
Skied Formigal last HT flights £45 return to Bilbao Barcelona nearer but flights 3X price.
Decent 2 bed room apartment £1000 for 9 nights.
Good sized resort loads of snow.
Kids loved it.
Only problem we couldn't hire snow chains at Bilbao airport so bought some universal plastic chains off Ebay just in case and boy did we need them.
snow report
My wife spent two seasons in Baqueira. She had to be extracted physically under duress by her parents after the second winter.

I’ve been for one weekend. It’s very good and some excellent off piste.

Just a bit of a longer drive than e.g, Chamonix from Geneva. No worse than the Tarentaise however.
latest report
I've always been tempted for a trip to Sierra Nevada for the reasons that @Whitegold gives... snow + sun + sea. I haven't got round to it yet, but maybe one day....
ski holidays
Baqueira Beret sounds wonderful...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/Baqueira-Beret-Spain-is-this-the-worlds-best-ski-resort/
ski holidays
I've been to Sierra Nevada the last two winters for a couple of days and I'll be going again in December. It's great to be on the slopes in the sun and then spend a few days on the beach!
ski holidays
CaravanSkier wrote:
I skied once in the Spanish Pyrenees in the 80`s, at Molina, back then runs were limited and the time we went it was lacking in snow. We had to go up to Andorra for decent snow by the end of the week. I think that apart from a school trip it was the only TO ski trip I`ve done. I remember good food (I also dislike germanic food) lovely sunshine, but poor ski conditions. Friends have been to ski in the Sierra Navadas more recently and seem to have enjoyed it enough to go several years running. However I don`t think its the same kind of ski experience as the mega French resorts.

Sounds familiar, my parents took us for Christmas and New Year to La Molina in the 80’s. The hotel we stayed in was rather ... errr ... special.

There was no snow at all and too warm for snow canons but we did have a snow guarantee which meant the TO was busing us daily to Pas De Le Casa. Unfortunately after 5 days (if memory serves) it got cold enough for them to get 1 lift and 1 run open which meant they didn’t have to bus us anywhere.

The hotel was supposed to be walking distance of the nearest lift. We did eventually find the long since dis-used chair lift while exploring out from the hotel. I know my mum wrote a long complaint letter (wasn’t the only thing which wasn’t as advertised we had a catologue if issues) but to be fair I suspect the advert didn’t say distance to nearest operating chair lift. Toofy Grin
latest report
Plenty of info here

https://www.tripsavvy.com/the-best-skiing-in-spain-4009539
snow conditions
leggyblonde wrote:
I've been to Sierra Nevada the last two winters for a couple of days and I'll be going again in December. It's great to be on the slopes in the sun and then spend a few days on the beach!

Still beach weather in December?
ski holidays
Quote:

Great lift served off-piste & freeride touring at Baqueira. Problem is that the word is slowing getting out which is not helped by threads like this rolling eyes

Spent last March hut to hut touring part of the Carros de Foc route in the Val D Aran some of the best off piste skiing ever and some fantastic steeps plenty of 300mtr peaks and then spent a day off the back of Baqueira wih some great off piste and pretty well empty. Great snow great empty mountains, greatfood , and cheap, Just dont tell anyone else!!

latest report
@Handy Turnip, It was 20deg last Christmas. Plenty of bikinis on the beach whilst I was surfing in my summer wetsuit:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdF2uneDfPA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
snow report
I go to Spain for paragliding. Slightly strange to walk past a bar at 0800 in the morning that sounds like a fight is about to break out. No, it's just the locals talking at their usual volume. It's a bit of a pain that the noise in the streets doesn't stop until dawn. No doubt that's some peoples idea of a good time but it isn't mine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @leggyblonde, wow! Skiing is Sierra Nevada has definitely jumped up the list! Are those temperatures typical for that time of year?
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, Average December high for Malaga is 17deg so 20deg isn't uncommon
snow report
Looks magic @Julianc
ski holidays
I guess non French/Spanish don't come because it's not "easy", the transfers are usually 3 hours min, and unless you goto Andorra you need to rent a car. Also unless you speak Spanish or French you might find communication a bit tricky unless you goto Andorra. Regarding snow cover, the Pyrenees usually heats up mid Feb until end of March. This year was epic, powder up-to the knees....
ski holidays
@HugoC, If its got snow its great i'm sure, if it hasn't then you'll be disappointed you never went east/ north, its as simple as that isn't it, the SW of Europe is bound to be less snow sure by virtue of where it is. If you are happy to take the risk and it pays off then i'm sure it'll be good, if not you'd be annoyed but that's the choice you take with Spain I guess.

Plenty greta food if you're looking in Austria and Italy btw, my main thing is the skiing though, and the food is an add-on.
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, as @leggyblonde says, Sierra Nevada is great for a combination of Ski and Sun - my OH lives down there and she's often spent Xmas day on the beach. It's probably about a 90 min drive from the ski station to the beach.

Just beware though that Sierra Nevada is:
a) not a huge area - you can ski most of it in a day if you put your mind to it; and
b) very prone to high winds (and hence crust and sastrugi) - it's lovely seeing the sea from the top (on a clear day you can see Gibraltar) but there's basically no similarly high ground to the East until you get to Mt Etna, and to the West until you get to the Rockies!

It's great for getting in a few days skiing while you're there, but it's probably not worth a trip just for the skiing.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
CaravanSkier wrote:

Sounds familiar, my parents took us for Christmas and New Year to La Molina in the 80’s. The hotel we stayed in was rather ... errr ... special.

There was no snow at all and too warm for snow canons but we did have a snow guarantee which meant the TO was busing us daily to Pas De Le Casa. Unfortunately after 5 days (if memory serves) it got cold enough for them to get 1 lift and 1 run open which meant they didn’t have to bus us anywhere.

The hotel was supposed to be walking distance of the nearest lift. We did eventually find the long since dis-used chair lift while exploring out from the hotel. I know my mum wrote a long complaint letter (wasn’t the only thing which wasn’t as advertised we had a catalogue if issues) but to be fair I suspect the advert didn’t say distance to nearest operating chair lift. Toofy Grin

I didn't have any real issues with the hotel we stayed at, it was fine, with pool and sauna, though hot water was sometimes an issue at the end of the ski day lol. The balcony was a super place to sunbathe but that lovely sunshine melted the snow very quickly. I don`t remember any issues accessing the slopes but in my mid 20`s walking a short way even in ski boots was probably not the same issue it became with kids in tow, and then with ageing muscles lol. I remember Pas de la Casa (from that trip) as a rather 'grey' place but thats because it was dull and overcast, it did however have ski-able snow! I also had the nicest snails in garlic, served in a bucket, I`ve ever had for lunch anywhere!
snow conditions
Looks magic @Julianc
It was magic which is why i will be back again, and it was 3000mtr peaks not 300 Laughing
snow report
It was This Good!!
And hate saying this but it wasnt French Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, our hotel had a pool but it wasn’t open. We had a ski room they lost the key to so had to break the door down. They also locked us in the hotel and couldn’t find that key. We were at the door trying to get out to get the bus to pas de la casa. Thank god they didn’t have a fire!

The chef walked out so they had to bus to another hotel for food.

We weren’t in walking distance of the actual operating lifts.

Only plus point is due to the staff not knowing how to make a gin and tonic they accepted my parents directions as to the quantities Twisted Evil
snow report
Thanks everyone
If I’m reading this right there are some pretty decent horror stories from the 80s but people wore shell suits in the 80s and things do improve.
Those who do go now love it esp the Pyrenees
But you some people are still nervous that it’s too south too West and so too warm for great snow?
Having looked at all of this I’m thinking either Formigal, Baqueira-beret or La Molina/marsella
B.B. seems to be the best but stayigf the village proper seems more expensive and thoughts on La Molina/marsella
It’s all looking exciting for 2020 already as off to the Dolomites for 2019 - nothing like planning ahead or as my family say an excuse to spend hours looking at piste maps
Thanks all
snow conditions
Not a great heading. May be why do british people not ski in spain? The Spanish certainly do at weekends and I suspect the french in the south west go to some spanish pyrrennees resorts as well as the french ones.

Sierra Nevada - a good day out - coast is reachable in about an hour - conditions can be very variable as it is a high resort above treeline and being close to the coast can be more windy than further inland. Can be happily skied in a day.

From a fortnight exploring the pyrrennees - the areas I visited were good but some lifts were a bit antiquated. BB - good skiing - some old lifts away from the centre and Bacqueira was a miserable place during the week being totally dead. All the reviews I have read since say stay down the valley at Arties which has far more life to it - I wish I had as I might have enjoyed the experience more. Also I felt that the pyrrennees weather was a bit more maritime perhaps than France, Switzerland and Austria - more wind and more variable weather but that may just have been the time I was there.

If I did not enjoy Austria as much and had not discovered the Dolomites I would certainly give the Pyrrennees another look. As for Sierra Nevada a few days at the OHs apartment on southern spain and a sub four hour round trip when the weather looks great for a day's skiing is a definite repeat.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy