Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs but not Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Wondering if you can help me.

Looking for a resort that has:

1. Tree-lined runs or magnificient views to keep 4 beginner snowboarders happy while they gain confidence.
2. Some sick terrain to amuse 2 very good skiiers.
3. Needs to be workable conditions in late March though perfect POW isn't mandatory.
4. Is on the budget end.

Les Arcs was perfect but we went there last year! Smile

Anywhere you guys would recommend?

Other question, how is Tignes for beginners? We've been offered a really good deal there but I worry the moonscape will be a bit hostile for newbies if they don't automatically become speedfreaks.

Thanks for all your help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@GnarFly, La Plagne like Les Arcs but better snow Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and cheaper food..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

But you need to get a paradiski pass to access the better skiing in Les Arcs.

Seriously though there are a lot of resorts that could fit the bill. Have a look at Courchevel, and in late March Tignes would be an excellent choice. The Les Lac area in particular is very good for beginners
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"4. Is on the budget end."

"Have a look at Courchevel"

These two statements don't go together... Wink

-----

Nothing wrong with going back to the same resort two years running - of the two (Arcs/Plagne) my preference is for Arcs. As you said yourself -- it was perfect
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@GnarFly, welcome to snowHeads.
Tignes should be good late March. I wouldn’t say easy for beginners but doable. With the right instruction and commitment, a good place to progress fast.

Courchevel Moriond (1650) should also be good.

If prepared to do a late booking, some big discounts usually available in years when Easter holidays don’t fall in late March.

Otherwise, both areas quite pricy.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd recommend Alpe-d-Huez. Went this year early March conditions were great.

I'd read that it can get quite slushy around resort level (1800) by end of March but i think thats pretty much like anywhere.

Not many tree runs but views quite good especially at summit.

Massive begginer area from about 2100 down to resort level and some challenging reds and blacks. Prices probably similar to Les Arcs.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

"4. Is on the budget end."

"Have a look at Courchevel"

These two statements don't go together.

OK Courchevel 1850 is very pricy, but 1650, 1500 and especially 1300 are actually quite reasnoble. I have done two easter trips to Courchevel 1300 and enjoyed them both with on occaision skiing back to the resort. In fact we went because 1600 and 1300 were actually less expensive than Meribel and Val Thorens.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hard to beat Les Arc really. You could stay in a different part to add variety?

Serre Chevalier would fit the bill but I've never been there late season so not sure about snow quality. It does have lots of tree lined runs and there is enough off-piste / interesting terrain and the added advantage that the 2 keen skiers can head to La Grave for a day. I should say I am bit biased towards Serre Chevalier as this was where my 2nd week snowboarding was (10 years ago) and it was brilliant - perfect and relatively quiet slopes to learn on. I've been back quite a few times since including last year and had a great time exploring the off-piste.

The other option might be La Tania - same ski area as Courchevel but cheaper?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serre Chevalier was my first thought. Alternatively, have you considered Austria?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did Les Arcs two years on the trot and still found new places to ski! Plus you can hop over to La Plagne for a couple of days for variety.

Where did you stay? We did Peisey the first year and then Arc 2000 this year - both completely different ends of the resort so different places locally to explore.

Having skied Tignes whilst in Val D'isere I would consider it to be pretty good for beginners with nice wide gentle pistes as opposed to the more intense slopes in Val D'isere!!

There are loads of other resorts which I haven't sampled but, even having done two weeks in Les Arcs as a semi-decent skier (insert lots of caveats here!!), I would go back for more!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about Les Coches?

It is between La Plagne and Les Arcs (on the La Plagne side); tree-lined; gives you access to loads of good skiing; has a nice beginners area well above the village; plenty of choice of accom for all budgets.

We've got chalets there (sorry for the blatant marketing) but if you click onto our site on the link below there is loads of coches information even if you then go on to book something self catered etc.

Happy planning!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PdS? Morzine and Avoriaz have a good mix of tree-lined etc. The latter has a fairly good number of green runs as well, and I'd say is considerable more inviting for a beginner than Tignes.

Many of the lower La Plagne villages are a good choice too. Les Coches has some really nice runs around it, although Mont Blanc can be a bit sketchy in places for a beginner and late march might be getting a little bit slushy towards the end of the day near the village level.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Vallandry - ok it's Les Arcs but lots of tree lined skiing there with lots of little cut throughs to keep you amused. Everyone seems to head from here over to Arc 2000 bowl so it's generally quieter as well.

Bit cheaper in terms of accommodation but still same lift pass price

As others have said - what's wrong with going back to same place?

Next Feb will be our 12th year running Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Westendorf or Mayhrofen in Austria are both excellent. Serre Chevalier, Les Deux Alpes or Alpe D'Huez in France are good but I'd recommend Les Contamines or Megeve as well and they are really close to Geneva. I usually find Austria is a lot cheaper if you fly to Munich and the slopes are only 2-3hrs away by super cheap/efficent train.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:

La Plagne is not a great place for newbie boarders in my opinion as there seemed to be quite a few flat spots. Les Arcs is much better for boarders, although agree La Plagne still has a lot going for it off the slopes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy