Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots for a 15 yo girl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

my daughter's feet seem to have stopped growing last year and we now thought it was time to get her a decent pair of boots. I know there's no substitute for trying on in the shop but every shop seems to have a different range so I was after some suggestions as to various models as a starting point for the inevitable shopping expedition. Won't have a chance to try in the resort as her first ski trip of this season will be with the sports club.
As info she's:
172 cm & around 60 kg
Very sporty (county judo player) and has been skiing since she was 5 so I'd put her at lower end of advanced
We ski around 70% piste/ 30% off-piste with the odd trip to the snow park. No plans to race
Wide (G/ H fitting) feet size 39

Suggestions Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you really should make sure you get them fitted, it can be the difference between a good boot, and disaster.

as far as bots go, ATOMIC Hawk Ultra or Hawk prime. TECNICA Cochise. LANGE XT.

Give some thought to what she wants to ski in the future, not just now.

My daughters choice is the XT, a really excellent range of boots, which suit her needs and feet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sukuinage, the key with boots is shape, the heel and ankle area wants to be secure, the forefoot width can be made wider is required, every brand makes a narrow, medium and wide fit, this doesn't mean you automatically need to go for the wide fit as often the wide is too wide in the heel, you need to find the one which best matches the profile of the foot then have adjustments made if needed, be careful with sizing as often people go up a size to accommodate a wider foot or if the boot feels a litle tight at first..... when tried on at first the toes WILL touch the front until the boot is clipped up and flexed and then when stood upright will be aware of the front and draw back when the boot is flexed forward.... more and more boots now have heat moldable shells which may or may not help depending on the foot. definitely worth talking about footbeds as these are the foundation for the fit and a single pair of decent quality thin ski socks.

in short get to the best shop you can for some advice and work with them to give her a great boot experience
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK, thanks for the advice. Must say that up to now she's generally skied in either a pair from the collection of (generally second-hand) boots passed down from the older siblings with one or more pairs of socks to make them "fit" or, recently, her mum's or her sister's depending who wasn't skiing. Can't say she's had any problems so far and hope a new pair of properly fitted boots don't make her too much faster! Toofy Grin . Last year's "compliment" from her brother was "Dad wasn't as slow as we thought he was going to be" Very Happy
I'd already had the Atomic Hawks and Tecnica on top of the list as they fit me well (my feet are very similar shape) and I'll add the Lange to the list to try first. My own boots have been fitted & stretched so I know the process. Not sure what she'll plan to ski in the future but can't see it being very different from what does now and I would guess that a reasonably stiff but non-racing boot will cope with most things.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As long as you go to a decent fitter then let them make the call. Far better for them to select what’s right for the foot, rather than trying to pick a model and make it work.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
As long as you go to a decent fitter then let them make the call. Far better for them to select what’s right for the foot, rather than trying to pick a model and make it work.

This.
Miniroll had Lange since she was 12, so got used to a fitter working with her, and finding what was 'right'.

Now 17, having been through the process three times, and skied umpteen weeks in boots that were fitted correctly, she is capable of understanding what is 'expected' of a boot.

So actually the latest pair were self-fitted from Decathlon.
Quelle surprise, like all Roll women she managed to find that the 'best ones' were also the most expensive, so we didn't actually save any money. Nor time: we were in there for ages. Nor has it slowed her down any, or caused pain, sloppy skiing or a refusal to take her old man places he finds a little daunting at times.

So the moral is: if your daughter really (really) knows what she is doing, it is certainly possible to avoid a fitter. But... why would you?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy