Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spanish Pyrenees - necesito tu ayudas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,
I am thinking of trying to complement my ski trip this year with some practise with what little Spanish I have.
It looks like there are some pretty decent resorts in the Spanish Pyrenees like Formigal and Baqueira-Beret (among others) for my beginner/intermediate skiing skills (skiing this year).
My main concern is about what language is mostly spoken by the locals/staff/guests in the big Spanish Pyrenees resorts as my internet research is a bit inconclusive, seems to be a toss up between Spanish, Catalan, French, and others.

What experiences have you had over there? Is there a difference between the resorts in Catalonia and Aragon as to the prominent language?
I know that there is always the option of Sierra Nevada but I have just visited Granada and want to see the Pyrenees.
Gracias todos!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been for a while, but in Andorra most people spoke Catalan, Spanish, French and English

In Baqueira Beret, Spanish and Catalan were interchangeable, but english was quite rare
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everybody will speak Spanish and in the Catalonian resorts some/most people will also speak Catalan. English will also be widely spoken.
It's the same deal if you go to Andorra, as even though the official language is Catalan everyone also speaks Spanish.

Either way they'll apreciate your efforts
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AussieInMancland, Baqueira is Aranese, Catalan & Spanish. They employ a lot of South American staff, plus there are a lot of apartment owners from Madrid, hence the Spanish.

English fairly widely spoken as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone!
Currently leaning towards Baqueira Beret, simply because it is big and has lots of blue runs.
Any others I should take a serious look at?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@AussieInMancland, We are run trips to Baqueira Beret and have a fair amount of info on our site that may prove useful http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays/baqueira.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BTW @AussieInMancland, the thread title should read 'Necesito vuestra ayuda' as you are addressing a group (plural), or maybe 'Necesito su ayuda', if you were addressing us more formally.

Looks like your Spanish needs all the help it can get!! wink

Hope it works out.

If you want to practice Spanish I would suggest somewhere where Castilian Spanish is the first language.

Don't forget that about half the population of Catalonia voted to secede from Spain a year ago, so for many young Catalans, the language that has been used in the past to oppress Catalan language & culture doesn't hold that much affection. They would probably rather practice their English than teach you Castilian. If you call them Spanish, many will correct you and tell you they are Catalan, a bit like the Scots if they get mistaken for English.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 31-10-18 23:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That might hold true if you went to live there, but as a turist they will never give you any grief about communicating in Spanish.
Even those in Catalonia that consider Catalan as their first language typically use both Catalan and Spanish throughtout the day interchangeably.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I drove across from Barcelona to Bilbao this summer; if you go that far you may want to add Basque to the list. I passed a few ski resorts then, plus I've ridden Masella/ La Molina in winter.

I have English and a teeny bit of South American Spanish... English works ok in bigger places.
Otherwise ignorance can make restaurants sporting.
I got the feeling that everyone can speak Spanish and I doubt they'd be offended by tourists who use that rather than English.
There is a lot of nationalist tat around - flags and stuff - but tourists are economically necessary, I'd say.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi wrote:

Don't forget that about half the population of Catalonia voted to secede from Spain a year ago, so for many young Catalans, the language that has been used in the past to oppress Catalan language & culture doesn't hold that much affection. They would probably rather practice their English than teach you Castilian. If you call them Spanish, many will correct you and tell you they are Catalan, a bit like the Scots if they get mistaken for English.

Not really! There are no real figures from that "vote", many people voted multiple times, and over half of Catalonia saw it as illegitimate and didn't vote.

In fact the Val d'Aran, where Baqueria Beret is, tried to distance themselves from the referendum as soon as it happened: https://elpais.com/ccaa/2017/11/02/catalunya/1509624948_099123.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy