Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
JohnMo wrote:
Some interesting stuff over the next few days. Temperatures are staying low so if both of those snowfalls happen in the next five days the town could be white. That would be nice as this weekend is the opening of the main areas.

Are you referring to the predicted snow falls on Friday / Saturday of this week?

GFS runs showing something interesting potentially coming towards the end of next week....as always very FI.

http://wxcharts.eu/?panel=default&model=gfs,gfs,gfs,gfs&region=alps&chart=overview,overview,winteroverview,convective_overview&run=06&step=336&plottype=10&lat=45.975&lon=7.774&skewtstep=0
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Run28 wrote:

Are you referring to the predicted snow falls on Friday / Saturday of this week?

Yes. There is some stuff coming up late Wednesday. But it is coming from the South so Cervinia and the border areas should get a top up but it might not do much in the village. Saturday looks decent (if the projections hold on).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I hope so, Coming out for 4 days on Thursday to catch some early riding!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
91km runs planned to be opened from this coming Saturday for the WOW week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Run28 wrote:

So that is the reds from Furggsattel and Trockener Steg down to Furgg (with the exception of 69 which is always a late opener) and the blues only from Gornergrat/Gufthittli down to Riffelberg. Nothing opened on Schwarzsee or Rothorn.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnMo wrote:
Run28 wrote:

So that is the reds from Furggsattel and Trockener Steg down to Furgg (with the exception of 69 which is always a late opener) and the blues only from Gornergrat/Gufthittli down to Riffelberg. Nothing opened on Schwarzsee or Rothorn.

Looks like it @JohnMo. I was intrigued to see if they had planned to open any of the Sunnegga to Eja runs (5/6) but looking at the webcams it's rather brown. I assume they will have that ready for the 1st Dec along with 11/19 on Rothorn when the Fluhalp etc plan there opening.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Valtournenche (and some more, lower lifts in Cervinia) opening Saturday. The Italian side is definitely having the better early season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice pic fromWarren Smith Academy today showing that even that relatively small storm gave a nice top up on the Italian side and the southern Swiss side.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GFS shows its getting nice and cool from the beginning of December, with a little precipitation at the start of the month. Currently snowing in Riffleberg and rain in town.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bit of a top up last night. Again it was from the south and Cervinia and the border area got by far the best of it. A large number of pistes open today - with the most on the Italian side. Anyone going out for an early season bash in Zermatt would be well advised to get an International Pass. Here is a photo taken by Summit Ski School this morning on the new Trockener Steg to Klein Matterhorn lift looking down on the Furggsattel pistes.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gornergrat has been getting a nice dusting this morning, similar scenes at Sunnegga, Findeln etc. Schwarzee and Trockner don't seem to be getting much of this shower.

Every little helps.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never been to Cervinia and going next week from 3/12-8/12. Staying in Valtoureneche. I heard that there are often issue with the wind, how would you know that based on forcast?
My plan is check the weather in the morning and go to different resort if weather is bad. How would you tell that weather is bad, before you get to the slopes (the plan is to purchase single day tickets)? All winds are bad or just certain directions?

Thanks a lot!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Checking here helps

http://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/webcam-panoramiche

http://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/meteo
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
never had wind issues in Cervinia, except after a bean stew in Bontadini. Check the website for windspeed forecast. Valtouranche is as I'm sure you are aware right at the bottom. i.e. lowest part of the system. and the least affected by the wind.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for a webcam links, from there it looks like the South-West part is completely not protected (for Valtournenche Motta beginner area), I think thats the direction to avoid..
I can ski any weather, however Im bringing absolute novices first time in the mountains and dont want them to face to absolute inferno (what they will think about this).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 26-11-18 18:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@ed48, As others have said, both the Cervinia and Zermatt websites are pretty good for the next day’s weather forecast including wind direction and strength. Personally I also use the SwissMeteo app. It is very good for all weather (precipitation, cloud, wind) on a 36 hour timescale. Even though it covers Switzerland it also has the surrounding area so you can just look south of Zermatt to see what you could be getting.

As a rule of thumb Cervinia is going to take the brunt of southerly winds and Zermatt is going to take the brunt of northerly winds. On the ridge between the two countries and up on Klein Matterhorn if there is a strong wind you are going to feel it whichever direction you come from.

You have hit paydirt with Valtournenche this year. Some years it would not be very good this early on but this year almost all the snow has been coming from the south and Cervinia and Valtournenche have been getting a good regular pounding. It is also nice this time of year as the aspect of the Italian slopes is south facing so you get (relatively) long hours of sun. I am out for my first winter bash on Sunday and, even though I am based in Täsch, just north of Zermatt, I will be spending most of the time over on the Italian side I imagine.

Valtournenche is fairly sheltered so I wouldn’t be too concerned about your novices while you are there. The slight downside with Valtournenche is the link to Cervinia. You get the lifts up to the top of the bowl (Colle inferior Cime Bianche) and then ski down a short ramp (shown as piste number 10). From there you get on a button drag lift (shown as lift h). That is surprisingly long and if the wind is strong can be quite unpleasant (particularly for a novice).
ski holidays
Cervinia opening the reds from Plan Maison down to the village today (the blues are already open). Small amount of snow coming over today - at least it is coming from the North West so those pesky Italians can’t take it all this time. Sunnegga (the most northerly of the Zermatt mountains so the one that has been getting the least snow) is open this weekend. It looks OK on the webcams but I am only skiing Zermatt/Cervinia three days next week so I probably won’t even get there to find out.
ski holidays
Looks like we may be getting a dreaded Fohn next week. Hopefully, it doesn't bring predicted temps of 12'C+ in town with a melt line of 2500m+....
latest report
@Run28, yep. Nobody likes a Föhn. Fortunately at this time of year all the meaningful skiing is above that level and the number of hours at which any amount of melt would take place is small. Bit different on the Italian side but they have enough snow to cope.

snow report
Next lot of pistes open Saturday: Rothorn down to Sunnegga; learner park; Rothorn down to Gant; Hohtälli across to Gornergrat area and from there down to Gant; Schwarzsee down to Furi.

Full list of pistes opening up:

11 Rotweng, 7 Standart, 6 Easy Run, 19 Fluhalp, Wollipark, 44 Hohtälli, 29 Kelle, 26 Grünsee, Riffelberg Anfängerpark, 51 Weisse Perle und 61 Skiweg
snow report
Well we are meant to be having a Föhn but snowline seems low enough. Just come up the valley. There was a dusting of snow as far down the valley as Stalden. It is at 800m. Given the lowest skiing (ignoring the home runs) is 1800m that is very encouraging.

It is even looking nice and white outside my window in Täsch at 1400m.

snow conditions
John,

Great to hear that. What are local sources predicting for next week? Zermatt website seems to say max of 7’C in town but others as high as 13!! Hope not the case!
latest report
I was a bit too optimistic re the Föhn. As I walked to the train at quarter to 8 this morning it was 2 degrees and raining. It is still raining now! It has decimated the lovely white appearance in the valley. However the good news is that above 2000 (i.e. where we ski) it has been snowing so things are looking good. I was skiing fresh powder at 3.30 this afternoon. There is still a decent bank of precipitation coming over this evening and at all important places that will be snow. The next two days have a bit more clear skies so should be good fun.

@Run28, all looking warm until the end of the week unfortunately. However from Sunday that should be banished. There is also some possibility of snow then as well (although not mega). Things are in good shape. The ski area is great and they even have the home runs into the village all ready with banks of artificial snow ready to be spread for Xmas week (when they usually try to open them up). I just really really hope we can have Zermatt blanketed in white for Xmas week - it makes it so lovely.
snow conditions
Went down to Valtournenche today. The excelllent snow in Cervinia (because most of the storms have come from the South) has been well documented but I was delighted to see that Valtournenche had really benefited all the way down to Sallette at 2200m (pic below is from Sallette looking up). Valtournenche is the poor relation in the Zermatt-Cervinia area. However both Cervinia and Zermatt International passes give you access and when the snow is good it is worth a visit.

In previous years we have had people ask about the road access between Valtournenche and Cervinia (you can ski across but is not necessarily easy for beginners). Because I come from the Zermatt side I never have to do the road but the answers we got suggested it was not great. So I was interested to see the below advert of a new service that started today.

snow report
Hmm. That is a serious wind predicted. Expecting 60-90 cm of snow above 1400m. Goodness knows where the snow will end up with that sort of wind though.

snow report
They have opened up the itinerary runs down to Furgg. Very early to have them open. Also piste 28 down from Hohtälli to Gant is now open. Incredible contrast between how great the conditions are above 2000m and near non-existent below (on the Swiss side that is - on the Italian side conditions are great all the way down to the village).
ski holidays
In Zermatt for a few days - fantastic conditions above the mid station and Cervinia side - yesterday there was about 10cm of fresh snow on piste and nice untracked just off piste and pistes almost deserted. Today pistes were cracking and bluebird skies - but high winds shut Matterhorn early and talking to a pisteur it seems likely it’ll be shut for next 2 or 3 days with storm force winds forecast - he suggested rothorn and gornegrat might be ok - fingers crossed! As @JohnMo, said they are opening or soon to open most of the runs to Furi and the home rn to zermatt looks like it could open soon - lots of artificial snow waiting to be pisted and with snow forecast Sunday-Monday I’d reckon they’ll open it soon.
Oh and the new lift is very fancy and very efficient!
snow report
As expected the Matterhorn area was closed all day due to wind but rothorn and gornegrat opened only slightly late at mid station and higher lifts a bit later. Some snow overnight down to zermatt but very wind affected up top - some pistes stripped bare, some covered in wind blown powder - and it was really cold!! All in all not too bad given the winds - tomorrow probably the same but even windier and colder - some snow expected overnight so we’ll see what opens and what it’s like - fingers crossed!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing in town now - couple of cms in the last hour or two
snow report
Chucking it down at the moment. Some lovely skiing done on Sunnegga / Blauherd this morning. Wind has picked up quite considerably so runs being shut as we speak. 30cm of fresh from last night and this AM at mid level. A treat.
snow report
ski holidays
The Täsch to Zermatt road has been closed due to an avalanche. The trainline between Täsch and Zermatt is not affected. Bit of an early one that. There is due to continue to be heavy snow overnight and then lighter stuff on and off during Monday.
ski holidays
Cracking weekend in Cervinia, the lift company did us proud. We could only buy day passes because of the threat of closure due to the high winds but disruption was pretty minimal although higher lifts were closed. Not too many people venturing out but those who did and don’t mind skiing in low viz and gale force winds were treated to lap after lap of wind blown powder. Great fun, fantastic snow coverage all set up nicely for the season, next stop Serfaus . snowHead
snow report
Any runs down to the village open Guernseyfreerider?
snow report
Sweedish wrote:

Not open yet. There is enough snow to do so (including large mounds of artificial snow). I guess they could open them this weekend but they often don’t open them until the Saturday before Xmas. Their main purpose is to get people to the bars and restaurants alongside the home runs.
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
Sweedish wrote:

Not open yet. There is enough snow to do so (including large mounds of artificial snow). I guess they could open them this weekend but they often don’t open them until the Saturday before Xmas. Their main purpose is to get people to the bars and restaurants alongside the home runs.

thanks Johnmo

I see the FIS Snowboardcross World Cup is being held between the 20-22nd so i bet some more lower runs will be open for that! (though some others will be closed for the racing)
snow report
Almost everything except the home runs open from this weekend. The only major exceptions (ignoring itineraries) are black run 62 from Furgg to Furi, 69 under the Matterhorn and the pistes on the north side of Rothorn.

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/News/270-kilometers-of-pistes-are-open
latest report
Looks like home run piste 50 from Furi to Zermatt will be open from tomorrow.
https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Restaurants-bars-clubs/Pub-Bistro-Bar-Zermatt-Hennu-Stall
ski holidays
skidm wrote:
Looks like home run piste 50 from Furi to Zermatt will be open from tomorrow.
https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Restaurants-bars-clubs/Pub-Bistro-Bar-Zermatt-Hennu-Stall

Interesting. It certainly makes no sense opening the Hennu Stall unless that piste is open. But it is not one listed to open. We'll see soon enough I guess.
snow report
Ended up skiing in Zermatt today thanks to some advice on this forum - booked a hotel last minute on Wednesday and arrived yesterday. Enjoyed today. Stayed in the Swiss side of the map while finding my ski legs. cold this morning though! Planning to hit Cervinia tomorrow if weather is like today.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy