Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
I second the recommendation for Gandegghutte - although the food has got slightly 50/50 reviews in recent years the views are pretty special.

If you aren't set on being up top and are happy to walk to other mountain restaurants then it would be a no-brainer to look into places like Zum See, Findlerhof, Alphitta, Paradies etc - all fantastic food and well-trodden.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lot of decent snow on the webcams. Decent cover at Findeln, - will watch here to see how quick it disappears, -if it disappears rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Some great webcam pictures as the skies gradually begin to clear. That was certainly a big snowfall for October. The Furggsattel lift was going to open today for the first time in 2018/19 season (that is the one on the right in the photo) but the high winds mean the chairs are all back in the lift station.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastic to see - the Glacier is looking in good nick now. Wonder if they have had enough to get the Trockner to Furgg runs open early or will they stick to the 24th?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Run28 wrote:
Fantastic to see - the Glacier is looking in good nick now. Wonder if they have had enough to get the Trockner to Furgg runs open early or will they stick to the 24th?

I am pretty sure they could open those runs. They have snowmaking all they way down. Furgg is at 2400m and deep in a north facing valley so the snow is there to stay. Be nice to see them at least open it for the next couple of weekends but nothing seems to have been said so far. Always a bit tricky when the extra workforce is no lined up until the 24th.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info on walking restaurants , like you both suggest there are plenty of very good restaurants on the swiss side with easy access for walkers . we do like a long lunch and the choice is fantastic
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well this morning not only was the Furggsattel chairlift up the lower glacier planned to be open but it is actually open. Hooray (ish)! Not sure I would want to be up there. Still lots of cloud (plus continuing top up of snow) and strong winds. While you can only see a couple of hundred metres, I can't see anyone coming down the piste or sitting on any of the moving chairs. Still 4 weeks until my first trip out this winter so very selfishly I am happy for it to continue like this.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slightly nerve-wracking to see the snow line predicated to move up to 3200m by next weekend....hope this isn't the case. Great to see a continuous level of snowfall (however small) coming over the weekend and next week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Run28 wrote:
Slightly nerve-wracking to see the snow line predicated to move up to 3200m by next weekend....hope this isn't the case. Great to see a continuous level of snowfall (however small) coming over the weekend and next week.

Looking at the GFS runs in the photo it looks warm next week but I would be surprised if the snow line was as high as that. Except for the current snowfall which Meteo Swiss’s radar projections seem to think will continue on and off through Saturday, any more snow looks more likely later in the week when the temperatures look like they could be failing again (usual caveats about approaching FI by then).

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trockner webcam showing sunshine and fantastic conditions on the glacier. Furggsattel lift working away and great to see skiers enjoying the snow - envious now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Klein Matterhorn glacier still closed, Italian side opens tomorrow. The conditions will be fantastic, plenty of locals were already touring up from Plan Maison to Theodul today. 6 and 8 will be open tomorrow.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cervinia already has the pistes above Plan Maison open. From tomorrow they are opening the top section of the Ventina down from Testa Grigia. Most of the snow (and it is still coming) has been coning from the south so the Italian side has been getting the best of it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Excellent picture from Warren Smith Ski Academy of conditions in Cervinia today.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chaltet Etoile I believe!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow park on the Furgg glacier opens tomorrow for those who like that sort of thing. I must admit I prefer to keep my skis either in contact with the snow or at least reasonably close to it.
ski holidays
Poxing well poxing poxy closed today for high winds. All well and good if you are down for a week, not so great if you came down Friday evening for a Saturday ski!! rolling eyes
snow report
@JohnMo, seems like you know Zermatt really well! I lived there and worked at Slalom Sport in the mid 80's/early 90's! Say hi to Sparky for me, and Mark, Andreas and Glenn at the Bubble, also Brian Farquharson if you bump into him!
Oh, shouldn't forget my daughter Hannah, baby Luca and her partner Josh who'll be working in Andreas's new restaurant Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

shouldn't forget my daughter Hannah, baby Luca and her partner Josh who'll be working in Andreas's new restaurant

Sounds like a restaurant recommendation for our boy trip in January @KenX, Laughing
snow conditions
@coddlesangers, that’s a real pity. Looks like they have managed to keep it open today but the winds are still really strong up top.

@KenX, some great bars there. The fact that Zermatt is so lively is what lead to us get a place there (strictly - in Täsch, just down the valley) five years ago. At the time my adult children and I enjoyed Lech and Zermatt equally from a skiing point of view. However my non-skiing wife preferred Zermatt.
snow report
KenX, whats the new restaurant called? As the Bubble has now closed we would want to try somewhere new.
snow conditions
@twoodwar, Have to get back on that, but sent Josh a message Very Happy
ski holidays
@twoodwar, Brasserie Uno, where the Bubble was, Swedish-based with a twist!
snow report
Cheers KenX, will give it a go in March. Very Happy
snow report
Arriving this Thursday 15th and keen to know which restaurants in Zermatt town are open this week and next weekend. We usually come for a 2-3 night stay around this time of year-so know the options are limited-One night at the Schaefersube is always on the agenda-yum! (am aware it's currently housed elsewhere while a refurb is going on). Usually end up having a pizza or pasta at the Hotel Post too, but open to alternatives. Had been thinking of a burger and the Bubble on Thursday night, but I see from the above that it's now Brasserie Uno. Is it open?
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
Arriving this Thursday 15th and keen to know which restaurants in Zermatt town are open this week and next weekend. We usually come for a 2-3 night stay around this time of year-so know the options are limited-One night at the Schaefersube is always on the agenda-yum! (am aware it's currently housed elsewhere while a refurb is going on). Usually end up having a pizza or pasta at the Hotel Post too, but open to alternatives. Had been thinking of a burger and the Bubble on Thursday night, but I see from the above that it's now Brasserie Uno. Is it open?

Pretty much all the restaurants away from the Bahnhofstrasse are closed until the main resort opening on 24th. However most of the restaurants on the Bahnhofstrasse from the train station to past the church are open.
snow report
go Grampis for Pizza Perty, we always do. Should find it decent.
snow report
Looking very dry for the week ahead. The temperatures are coming down though so the cannons will be working and they are pumping out onto a good base. Got to hope some of that uncertainty a week away (usual caveats about that far out) turns into white stuff from the sky.

ski holidays
Cervinia are opening lift Z (Goillet) today. That is the far right lift in the Cervinia bowl as you look at the piste map. Not an area to go first thing as it is a slow open chairlift in pretty much the only north facing area in Cervinia. But it does open up some nice pistes and some decent side piste stuff that gets left alone by the crowds.

That means every lift from Plan Maison and Plan Torrette up is open. Not every piste is but the vast majority are. A sterling effort by the lift company. With the fantastic snow that came from the south and now the blue skies anyone who went there for an early bash should be having a great time (two and a half weeks before I am back out – I am definitely counting).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's always the little things.

Great to see the Winter panoramic now up and running on the Zermatt.ch website - nothing particularly new to report other than a few tweaks here and there to the imaging and signage.

As JohnMo mentioned before, a dry week ahead but good to see the snowline dropping to 170m and hanging around the sub 1000m mark for a large chunk of next week.

I wonder if we will see any more fresh runs opened on the Trockner / Furgg side this weekend.
snow report
Run28 wrote:
I wonder if we will see any more fresh runs opened on the Trockner / Furgg side this weekend.

The snow is certainly good enough to get the lifts down to Furgg open. I can understand them not opening up the other mountains but Trockener Steg down to Furgg should be doable. No sign of them doing so at present. Fortunately the good (or bad as in no storms) weather means the links are open so anyone based in Zermatt would probably be spending a decent amount of time over in Cervinia at present. I guess come the weekend the main opening is only a week away.
ski holidays
Useful in-resort update from Paul at Summit Ski:

"Sunnegga and Gornergrat ski areas were due to open on 24th Nov but, due to limited snow below 2300m and temperatures too warm to make snow til now, they've pushed back the Sunnegga opening til Dec 1st. The Gifthittli chair at Riffelberg will open on the 24th Nov but the best snow will be up around Trockener Steg until we get another storm come through.

Assuming the temperatures stay low enough (it's due to get really cold here in a day or two), there'll be plenty of snow made even if it doesn't snow naturally and there will be pistes open across the resort at the start of December".
snow report
A quick question for Zermatt experts.

When snowboarding in France, I always top up my ski pass (and my travel insurance) with additional local insurance for mountain rescue to cater for the worst eventuality of a helicopter rescue etc. Is this available and/or recommended in Zermatt?
ski holidays
Robbarber wrote:
A quick question for Zermatt experts.

When snowboarding in France, I always top up my ski pass (and my travel insurance) with additional local insurance for mountain rescue to cater for the worst eventuality of a helicopter rescue etc. Is this available and/or recommended in Zermatt?

I have my own insurance but if friends come out who don’t I always advise them to pay the extra CHF5 per day when buying their pass. This is the insurance:

http://www.skicare.ch/en/our-products.html
latest report
Great day today. Started a bit cloudy with a fair old wind coming over the top from Cervinia. We were skiing in cloud and snow at top of Furgsattel chair, with better vis lower down. Pistes excellent. Up top on Klein Matterhorn we were above the cloud. Links to Cervinia open on both sides, and there had been a mini dump of about 3-6 inches on the Italian side, though it was pretty murky on first ski down. However, the sun came out at around 1.30pm and Mr P and I had a wonderful descent on and off the piste en route to lunch at Chalet Etoile. We didn’t expect any off piste fun this weekend, so this was a real bonus. Very Happy
latest report
Great to hear - sounds like a real early season treat. I hope the new Klein M lift lives up to all the type?

Also great to see the cannons working away on Gornergrat and Sunnegga.
snow report
@Perty, good stuff. Nicked this photo form Summi Ski School’s video. This is coming down from Furggsattel to Trockener Steg. Conditions on the Cervinia side look even better.

snow report
A++ for the new lift to Klein Matterhorn. Smooth and speedy. It makes heading up there as by far the best and quickest route for getting to Italy, whereas before we have often thought the t bar route was better than standing in a queue for the cable car- even at minus 10 deg. We were pretty spoilt this weekend - no queues. It’ll be interesting to hear how busy it gets in peak weeks.
snow conditions
@JohnMo. Many thanks for the response regarding my question on insurance - much appreciated 😉
snow conditions
Off to Cervinia for a pre season warm in a couple of weeks, does anyone know if there are any decent boot fitters in town? Thanks
latest report
Some interesting stuff over the next few days. Temperatures are staying low so if both of those snowfalls happen in the next five days the town could be white. That would be nice as this weekend is the opening of the main areas.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy