Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which width touring skis (90 vs 98mm)?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Having been dabbling in Alpine ski touring over the past few years, I'd now like to buy my own.

The two skis that I've (hopefully) narrowed it down to are the Kastle TX90 and TX98. In a 184cm/188cm length respectively there is only 50g/pair weight difference and £0 price difference between the two, which leads me to my exam question:

Q: Is there a disadvantage in going with the wider ski?

Note that this would be primarily for Alpine Touring (I have a pair of Bent Chetler 120's with Shift bindings for any Canada/Japan backcountry excursions)

One thing that I could foresee is extra drag created by having a wider skin profile (but potentially offset by less pressure over the ski width)?

Appreciate any comments/advice on this - I've been flipping a coin over the past fortnight, and am now very confused!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FatalSaviour, doesn’t it depend on what your primary aim is, ski touring for the ups or ski touring to get to the fresh powder downs? If it’s the latter take a look at these?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142582&highlight=
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@FatalSaviour, depends on the type of touring - if short skins on soft snow in mid-winter to access powder then wider, if long skins in spring then narrower as wide skis on an icy refrozen skin track aren’t much fun.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@FatalSaviour, I have the TX98 and they are a very versatile ski and have served me well in all conditions so far this winter , wouldn't want to be on anything much slimmer when there's fresh snow , the narrower ski would be marginally faster on the up and being shorter would be a bit more manoeuvrable in tighter sections when bushwhacking out of trees lower down , I also find cutting my skins very close to edges so early morning frozen skin tracks are not so bad , don't think 8mm makes that much difference , but with the tx98 the extra width in the tips defo helps in the deeper snow on the downs
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I too doubt you’ll notice the difference much.

FWIW, I tour on an 81 waist and MrsA is on 76. These were on the narrow side when we bought them 5 years ago but these days seem miniscule - but they still work.

IMV, waist is just what you’re used too. More important is weight (or lack of) and sidecut radius - which needs to be large (> 20m).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis wrote:
and sidecut radius - which needs to be large (> 20m).

Why would radius need to be large?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for all the responses thus far all - it’s certainly aided in the decision, although I have to say I’m still a little on the fence!

I should also have mentioned that I’ll be looking to pick up a pair for the wife as well - id assume that we’d probably want to get the same width waist, but I am a good 30 KG heavier than my better half, so I’m not sure if that would push me towards a 98 and her the 90...

Most of the touring I’ll be looking to do would be hut to hut in the Alps - last month, we did a long weekend in the silvretta with no fresh snow and with Dynastar Tour 82 skis.

What I hated most was the tendency of those skis to break through the crust at points, which I thought might be mitigated by a wider ski (I stand to be corrected however!).

I am unfortunately on the heavier side of where I’d like to be right now (105KG) and I have to be honest, the uphills were a bit of a slog. Both pairs of skis are a similar weight to the Tour 82s we used, albeit hopefully with a lot more downhill ability (my wife absolutely hated the chattering on the Dynastars!!)

Many thanks once again!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@FatalSaviour, you get the 98’s and get her the 90’s. Job done.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
@FatalSaviour, you get the 98’s and get her the 90’s. Job done.

+1. It's that simple.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are touring for turns go for 98. If you are just going for the journey/longer distances then 90.

I say buy my Mythics! Smile https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142623 Happy to take offers on price.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Themasterpiece wrote:

As FatalSavoiur has found out with the Tour 82s and their 16m radius, heavily waisted skis are a 'mare on breakable crust - and not so nice on icey rising traverses either. Something more like straight planks make life easier.

Experienced tourers tend to go long for extra float but this requires some skill - and flexibility - when it comes to kick turns. Sadly, there's no perfect solution.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I would need to pick just a single pair, then I would go for wider. Wider (not super wide) can still ski sort of ok on hard surface, while narrow don't ski anywhere good on deep(er) days. Ideally you would have 2 pairs, one for deep days and one for spring corn/ice. Personally I have 3, 85mm for hard conditions and long tours on something that's max 30cm deep (Rossi Seek7 ski surprisingly good in not so deep pow, even if only 85mm), 106 for normal ski touring powder chase, and 120 for lift assisted freeride. I know it's a bit lot for normal skier, but it's a bit easier if you get those skis for free Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go 90 for late season hut to hut touring.
100+for early season powder hunting
98 is a compromise if you want one ski for both.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just looked at my log for the season.

Circa 50 days ski touring

2 sorties on 88's

8 on 100mm

2 on 115mm

Rest on 108mm*

As you say you're 105kg so I would go as large as possible.

But as others have said does depend on what type of touring you're doing, and how good your shite snow technique is Laughing

Narrower skis will not perform in the croûte as well as wider skis, likewise in heavy snow.

*Black Crow Atris with Tectons, not exactly a classic touring setup but as I tend to be a tad stronger on the up than most of my contemporaries I can get away with them.
ski holidays
Don’t keep a log, but around 25-30 days for me, 2/3 on 108mm, 1/3 on 117mm, there were still days where the snow was rubbish that I wished I was on the 117’s!!! Seen plenty of people struggling to get down on narrower skis and I’m willing to take the extra weight on the chin! Mind you, the 108’s are only around 2300g, Faction Candide 3.0 with Dynafit Speed Turns........
ski holidays
Consider ski length if your routes will require lots of conversions. They’re easier with shorter skis. I noticed a real difference between my old Mythics 184 and the new Camox Freeride 178 - easy as pie with the shorter Camox. If you’re not doing lots of conversions, then as long as you like...
Touring with wider skis you notice, when not breaking the trail, that your skis can struggle to sit in established narrower tracks and on slopes you will have edges overhanging - small consideration.
2/3 on 96s
1/3 on 112s
0/0 on 124s - not good value for money
ski holidays
It really depends on year and conditions for me. This year we had relatively low amount of snow down here in SE Alps, so in my case I was about 60% on Rossi Seek7 (85mm), 35% on Rossi Super7 (120mm) and some 5% on Rossi Soul7 (106mm). Last season was completely different and I spent 90% on Super7. So I would say it's impossible to say on general, as things are completely different from one year to another, and it doesn't depend so much on you but on conditions mother nature gives to you Smile
latest report
@Grinning, sorry but what's a conversion Puzzled

Do you mean kick turns?
snow report
@Weathercam, I reckon that's what @Grinning means, Googled it tho and came up with zilch.......
ski holidays
Isn't a "conversion" putting on or taking off skins ?
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/2JD0ATvSJHw

http://youtube.com/v/i7VrGhgSPww
snow conditions
altis wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

As FatalSavoiur has found out with the Tour 82s and their 16m radius, heavily waisted skis are a 'mare on breakable crust - and not so nice on icey rising traverses either. Something more like straight planks make life easier.

That’s not something I heard before. Must be why I’m so rubbish on breakable crust on my Line Sir Francis Bacons with 17.7m radius Toofy Grin
snow report
Well I've ski toured with a lot of Frenchies over the years and I've never heard the term Puzzled

Trust them to come up with a name like that Laughing

No doubt Davidoff will disagree Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 18-04-19 20:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@DB, ah, if I'd Googled it in French it would've worked! Seriously no mention of it with an English search........
latest report
The principle is language independent Very Happy - it’s easier with shorter skis
ski holidays
@Grinning, just learn to covert better Laughing

Might be easier with shorter skis but then the descent is compromised, I suppose with your theory get some 169's and 120 wide
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I Googled “covert” and got no snow-related hits Very Happy

Did a good many conversions today with a French and Welsh team. The welsh are “converted” to calling them “conversions” now. Wonder what “kick-turn” is in Welsh?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grinning wrote:
Wonder what “kick-turn” is in Welsh?

I don’t know but I’m guessing it will involve lots of consonants and very few vowels...

To the OP I would go with the 98s personally...
snow report
@Themasterpiece, short radius skis tend to be ‘hooky’ in crust. To a degree early rise/rocker can compensate for this. FWIW i prefer a ‘straight’ ski in crust or a rockered ski.
snow report
@offpisteskiing, and at least one double L.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy