Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
They rattling our hotels windows with the canons this morning!

Shame we're on the afternoon flight back.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
About 20cms on the car in Morzine. Not as much as optimistically predicted but good to see all the same.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At least 40cm in Les Gets at out place: Lovely, fluffy snow as well. For those out there La Grande Ourse has a great band playing today after you've finished your powder laps.

Good thing I'm working!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, but more than pessimistically predicted? Very Happy and with the snow likely to fall today, will bring the sun-mon total to 40+cm for many places around here, certainly at the 1200-1500m level.
The forecast on this thread (from last wednesday) was 70cm for the week starting on sunday.....but that looks a little conservative now.

The FL may rise on thursday to 1500-1600m per GFS, but some other models are lower, and it is still expected to drop quickly fri-sat, as the final leg of this stormy cycle moves across.
Avi risk 4.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gutted to be leaving today after a great long weekend. Hope everyone enjoys the new snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow report for Morzine- Les Gets: bloody lovely
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name,
Probably 40cm at 1800m, more in some places with drifting. Lots of fresh tracks around Linderets, Brocheaux and Chaux Fleurie. Not bottomless and still difficult to totally let go off piste due to rocks and trees not far below the surface. Generally though a fine ski and tomorrow looks like delivering with snow still falling and blue skies forecast Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing hard again in les gets now. Probably won't get another 40cm but a good little top up
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yesterday was a classic powder day, with everything you wanted except blue skies. We were very lucky - I skiied to the Chamossier bowl, and the lift was closed. So we had a hot chocolate at the hut at the bottom (recommended), and waited. And luck was with us - the lift opened, and the four of us made first tracks down the Arbis run, and then first tracks all over the freeride area. It was bloody lovely. Fluffy, knee-deep powder, everywhere. Bouncing short turns and long slarves - you had whatever you wanted in all that fresh snow.

The piste became a car crash, and we waited with a poor French lady who fell, did something serious to her knee, and was in a lot of pain, until the pisteurs arrived to call the blood sled.

We left the area, but by this time the piste was really cut up, and in places down to the hard layer below. So off we went again, this time to the trees of Nyon.

2019-01-29_06-48-12 by baconrashers, on Flickr

Today, I shall take the piste skis, as my legs are knackered!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
7.23am and very, very windy at Resort level (we are living near the Nyon lift). general wind, then sudden, strong gusts. It is snowing too. If it is anything like this up the mountain, I suspect closures and quite a lot of windblown nastiness...slab and swept.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wind and snow will peter out after lunch, reckon the sun will come out, similar tomorrow but calmer, then it all kicks off again on friday, FL to 1500m before falling on the weekend

http://www.meteociel.fr/previsions-arome/27685/les_gets.htm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Must have had 70cm in my drive since the weekend. Just fab.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So much snow. Big storm with big winds overnight though. Snow pack needs to be allowed to stabilise....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stunning day today. Between 10 and 40 cm on the pistes.
was a bit blowy with crap vis this morning. But just stunning now
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really good up Mont Chery this morning even with the wind and poor visibility. Up to my knees in light fluffy powder at some points on the piste.

Then the sun came out this afternoon and it was amazing, as @grahamt1980 said.
ski holidays
Chatel snowHead We arrive at GVA at 20:00 on Friday and wondering if there is anything to gain taking the French side, now that the RD22 is open, over driving via Switzerland motorway and over the Pas du Morgins? Normally takes 1:30-1:45 hrs through Swiss.

Also - We need to be back at GVA airport at around 19:00 on Monday - how long should we allow to drive back and which of the routes should we take we are likely to meet Monday rush hour traffic. I've only ever driven back on a Sunday.
snow report
If clear the French side is slightly quicker but more winding (and 50km shorter). I find the N side more relaxing and probably less than 10 minutes difference between the two.

I wouldn't cut it finer than 2 hours for the return journey on Monday - it might be worth going down the valley as most traffic will be coming out of Geneva.

If snowy add time of course!
ski holidays
@DJL, Thanks we normally leave Chatel four hours before departure time on Sundays and this has worked well allowing almost a full day if on a c. 21:00 flight back to London. Might allow a little more on Monday.
ski holidays
It snowed again overnight, about 10cm of very fluffy snow. Still snowing!
snow conditions
Still snowing in Les Gets too. Childcare today for me, might get a run in later this afternoon if the in-laws fancy an early finish (please please please!)
latest report
We have had plenty in Morzine!

[pic]https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/hXB1ApWbTsce6r8uzZrIsTdqlqasViTFghQK00RwBOR[/pic?tag=amz07b-21]
snow conditions
Gorgeous day out there today, took the kids up for a trip in the Chavannes bubble for lunch and the family said conditions are perfect. I don't think there is an early finish on the cards for them! Bah
ski holidays
Lots of snow, lots of wind, lots of closed lifts. Apart from that, a good days skiing
snow report
Mont Chery was awesome this afternoon, windy but lovely and the snow is great.
my back leg is dead from all the side piste though. Bindings moved back for tomorrow.
Predicting a fair bit over the next day or so
snow report
@Ozboy, the RD22 is closed downhill, chatel to Thonon. Upwards is open.
snow report
@BergenBergen, thanks - I have read they are working to have it running both ways by half term.
snow report
Snowing again this morning in Les Gets, looks like another 20-30cm by tonight. Gutted to be leaving in the morning! It's been a great week though.
latest report
grahamt1980 wrote:
Mont Chery was awesome this afternoon, windy but lovely and the snow is great.
my back leg is dead from all the side piste though. Bindings moved back for tomorrow.

Is there still the outdoor pizza oven in operation on the backside of Mont Chery?

I too have come across 'powder strain' in my rear leg. Consequently, on my soft-boot setup my bindings have remained permanently in the rearmost positions, given I have a separate piste board for hard pack conditions.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No cars are allowed to take the roads up the mountain unless they have chains or snow tyres - https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/neige-equipements-speciaux-obligatoires-route-stations-alpes-ce-vendredi-1617173.html?fbclid=IwAR3HzqiqiTDA7D6eVkpUoxEDDQ-TNPcPhlW4eEG2kb32AflKEQjYXNV3Cac

On another note, for those who need to put on chains, do it BEFORE you need them and please don't do it when you're in the middle of the road...
ski holidays
MeMyselfandI wrote:

On another note, for those who need to put on chains, do it BEFORE you need them and please don't do it when you're in the middle of the road...

If need be, are there any designated places on the way up to do so/where do you recommend?

Haven't been to Morzine before, but we are driving up on Sunday (have 3PMSF winter tyres and chains, but local knowledge always good to have).
snow report
Ormie31 wrote:
If need be, are there any designated places on the way up to do so/where do you recommend?

Haven't been to Morzine before, but we are driving up on Sunday (have 3PMSF winter tyres and chains, but local knowledge always good to have).

On most mountain roads you will find an "Aire de Chaînage" (snow chain layby) every kilometre or so.

The road up to Morzine is fairly low, so you may well not need to use one, whereas it's highly likely if you went on up to Avoriaz.

It's one of those dilemmas. You're not meant to use chains on tarmac, but you will need them to make progress on snow - if you have summer tyres.

As you have 3PMSF winter tyres, I'd wait until the snow was on the roads, and then see how you get on, and if not so well, use the next aire de chaînage. You may find you're ok even without chains. Just break early and gently, e.g. coming up to a roundabout.
snow report
Anyone coming to Les Gets, if they take the exit off the roundabout by the Chinfrey hotel to go into the village might well find the police there looking at car tyres. Also will find a bit of slope that catches people out ( usually the Parisians),and the other bit of hill that adds to the excitement goes up by the Labrador hotel. So if not equipped with winter tyres take care there.
snow report
@Pamski, both roads up to Les Gets were blocked this morning. We had to drive up to les Cornuts, along rocher and down by the medical centre.

It is snowing SO HARD. Far more than was expected.

@Ormie31, freezing level set to be around 700m on Sunday but not a huge amount expected. With snow tyres you should be fine. Everyone should have snow tyres actually.
snow conditions
Thanks all, useful info. Looking forward to it!
latest report
Still loads falling in Les Gets. Massive flakes and building up on the roads quickly. You may need chains either way, just saw a bus (with its big snow tyres) get stuck up near Folliets. Be careful out there folks!
latest report
Was mental up there today. Easily 40 cm on the pistes.
diving off the sides and is was anywhere between knee and waist deep.

Next week should be awesome when they get this all bashed in. Shame we go tomorrow
snow conditions
More cars stuck on the way up Chavannes road. Chains necessary if you're going up or down hill, the snow on the road has melted slightly then compacted into ice as the temp has dropped and is slippery as hell.
ski holidays
There is so much snow. I have never seen such big flakes.

We're set for the season now.
latest report
Apparently a wheel fell off a bus near the chavannes lift earlier too which caused bus issues
snow conditions
https://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2019/02/01/neige-le-col-des-montets-ferme-a-la-circulation

Papers reporting big slides of snow. One in Avoriaz town 8 metres high!
Lots of trees down and blocked roads.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy