Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
So the conditions seem to be improving - brilliant thanks for the updates.
Very much appreciated.
Having never been to the portes du soleil - where are the best slopes ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Nelbert75, I think you need to manage people’s expectations. 30-40cms has fallen. It has fallen on a minimal base, certainly off piste. As alj says, it’s not freeride conditions. The piste skiing is certainly better but there is still grass sticking through many pistes. No, Morzine isn’t green but it has a minimal base and only on top of the man made base. One snowfall, a season doesn’t make, unless you live in Austria
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@RMM, best slopes for what?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@zzz, what is a season changer anyway? the current snowfall, still ongoing tonight, has surpassed expectations for the area. And there's more to come sunday, albeit closer to 1200m than 500m.....ECM and GFS 12z show another 40cm into monday. And more after that. How full is your glass? Laughing

So even if we got a 2m "season changer", it might only last a week, and get trashed with rain.....followed by a six week high pressure block. But in reality it's only Jan 9th, with huge drama showing up in the models for the rest of the month. Today was a great start, easily 30cm at 1500m, enough for me to freeride my favourite lines. Yeah I scrapped the bottom crust a few times, but that's what old boards are for.

@Nelbert75 nice to read someone else who is looking on the bright side. How hard is it. Great fun today, tomorrow mont chery
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@polo, I just don't think it's fair to big up conditions for someone trying to decide if they are going to come skiing here or somewhere else. Sure, it's much better. Probably as good as it was before the rain in December!
Mont Chery, hmmm...the snow is so light and not very deep. I think the steepness will mean you hit the bottom a lot of the time, at least on skis.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also on the bright side. Skied Arare, Lindarets, Pleine Drainse and had a great day. Lapping Grande Combe first thing was excellent. Off piste is still limited, and as mentioned above you’ll still scrape bottom in places e.g. on the way down to Chantel, but had a great days skiing and today’s snow will be an improvement for anyone heading out in the next few weeks I’m sure.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can only comment on Les Gets - Morzine but the piste skiing on the open pistes has been good this week. Yeti and Myrtilles have yet to open but they both need a very good covering to hide all the rocks, tree roots and gullies. Melezes opened yesterday and although only half its normal width at the bottom was good skiing.
Tulipe and Sautenailes were both great although Sautenailes had some easily missable ice patches towards the bottom. Arbis had visibility issues and lumped up fresh snow made life more difficult later on.
Pleney side of Morzine is pretty much shut apart from Retour du Nants, Piste B and Piste G although the pisteurs have done a marvellous job to open these at all.
The MTB tracks beneath the Nauchets Express are starting to fill in which us generally a good sign.
It's been a week for piste skis and sharp edges but will probably get the wider skis out tomorrow..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well it’s a happy discussion to have at least. I boarded all the usual treeline Avo spots for four hours from 10pm till 2pm. I hit the bottom a few times in some spots for sure, but all the usual lines in lindarets were excellent. Up top the rocks will not be covered sufficiently. Yet.

I then went sledging on the pleney with the youngsters for two hours and it dumped it down the whole time. As I type five hours later it’s still coming down moderately. Between this and what appears Sunday I’m going to go with a season changer. If you brought back someone today who left on Saturday what would they say....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well timed bit of snow. We fly next monday (14th) for a week in Morzine, so looks that come tuesday morning we should have a great first days skiing! Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@swskier, I think you will. Next week will be good.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm also flying in next week for a short break, arrive Thursday, staying in LG.Would be great to meet up with any local snowheads. Looking like the pistes should be in good shape by then.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nelbert75 wrote:

I then went sledging on the pleney with the youngsters for two hours and it dumped it down the whole time.

Where would you recommend for sledging? Just up from the bottom of the bubble?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flying in Friday next week. Skiing Sat, Sun, Monday so hoping that there are a few more days like today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the updates folks. It's sounding positive for when I arrive in a couple of weeks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vfr4 wrote:
Nelbert75 wrote:

I then went sledging on the pleney with the youngsters for two hours and it dumped it down the whole time.

Behind the Aubergarde about 250m along from the pleney gondola. Plenty of space, perfect angle of slope and no skiers in that area
ski holidays
We are heading over tomorrow for this weekend. We are all on-piste intermediate (can enjoy the odd red and black if pisted, but prefer rolling blues if powdery/choppy) skiers. From our accommodation near St Jean d'Aulps we realistically have the choice of either Morzine-LG or Avoriaz for a cheap weekend pass. With the snow forecast on sunday I'm thinking M-LG is the better choice as there are more trees if the visibility goes... is this sensible?
snow conditions
@plasmastorm, or you could do a day at La Grand Terche - that fits the bill regarding slope type and trees
ski holidays
We are doing that on the Monday morning before getting a flight back in the evening. Love the forest circuit but a whole 3 days there would be too repetitive I think.
latest report
@plasmastorm, If it was me I would go for a PDS pass on the Saturday - often the quietest day on the slopes. Up to Ardent early and head over to Chatel, then through Morgins, round the Swiss side and make your way back through Avoriaz. Would be a good day out and lost of the sort of slopes you are looking for. Sunday Morzine-Les Gets (plenty of trees) and you are sorted for Monday already. Wish I could tag along!
ski holidays
Nelbert75 wrote:
vfr4 wrote:
Nelbert75 wrote:

Behind the Aubergarde about 250m along from the pleney gondola. Plenty of space, perfect angle of slope and no skiers in that area

Perfect thanks Very Happy
snow report
DJL wrote:
@plasmastorm, If it was me I would go for a PDS pass on the Saturday - often the quietest day on the slopes. Up to Ardent early and head over to Chatel, then through Morgins, round the Swiss side and make your way back through Avoriaz. Would be a good day out and lost of the sort of slopes you are looking for. Sunday Morzine-Les Gets (plenty of trees) and you are sorted for Monday already. Wish I could tag along!

Now that sounds like a plan! Thanks Smile
snow report
That’s a very good plan. On piste conditions, on the whole, are very good at the moment. Saturday is forecast to be sunny for most of the day. I have a feeling a Saturday PDS pass is discounted during January.
latest report
plasmastorm wrote:
DJL wrote:

Now that sounds like a plan! Thanks Smile

Links to Morgins from Chatel we’re closed today (Thurs). Worth checking they are open before setting off.
ski holidays
Will do cheers!
snow conditions
All - any 4/5* hotels in the area you’d recommend for a long weekend (we are 4 lads in our 40s - we are very strong skiers but also enjoy our food and a nice bottle of red). Would prefer a contemporary option or somewhere with a modern alpine feel to it. Many thanks.
ski holidays
@franga, if you were going to look in Les Gets the Hotel Crychar might fit the bill. crychar.com
latest report
@franga the Hotel des Dromonts in Avoriaz is superb but not cheap. The half board option I went for included excellent food in the restaurant and there is a really great wine bar just opposite too. Oh and an outdoor hot tub and sauna too.
snow report
Also whilst we're doing recommendations... any tips for good restaurants in Morzine for dinner please?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franga wrote:
All - any 4/5* hotels in the area you’d recommend for a long weekend (we are 4 lads in our 40s - we are very strong skiers but also enjoy our food and a nice bottle of red). Would prefer a contemporary option or somewhere with a modern alpine feel to it. Many thanks.

I rate the Hotel Le Petit Dru in Morzine.
snow conditions
Hotel Macchi in Chatel is very high quality
snow report
@jonm,
Chaudanne, Clin d’oeil, LEtale
snow conditions
The restaurant in the Fleur de Neige in Chatel is very good also, don't know about the accommodation but I'd imagine its of a quality.
latest report
@plasmastorm, Chatel-Morgins still closed today. A pity though it might change or the weekend. Those pistes down to Morgins are often a bit sketchy.

PDS plan still works if you go Ardent -Mosettes and then round the Swiss side, lift up the Wall (Chavanette) and through Avoriaz back into Lindarets.
snow conditions
@zzz, ta.
snow report
Thanks. I think we're just going to stick to Morzine-LG for the weekend, the discounted saturday tickets seem to only be for local area passes rather than the PDS (happy to be wrong if someone can find a link!) There will still be plenty good skiing for us by the looks of the conditions, and we can spend the savings on tartiflette.
ski holidays
I did that last lol described over new year and really enjoyed it. Some of the best snow was on blue runs leading to the bottom of the chavanette lift
snow conditions
Thanks for the hotel recommendations all, much appreciated.
ski holidays
NaturalSelector wrote:
franga wrote:

I rate the Hotel Le Petit Dru in Morzine.

+ 1
latest report
Any personal recommendations for Ski hire in Chatel - Linga? Germain Sport or Linga Ski Shop seem to be the obvious candidates.
snow report
@Louis, Crychar in Les Gets is super
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy