Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
Thank you for all the updates. We've just booked our flights for tomorrow morning! I thought 'what the hell'....I'm sure we'll find something that we'll enjoy! See you on the slopes for anyone still there! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would honestly have kept your dough for another week and/or destination further east. It’s mind numbingly cold with a northerly that would cut you in two, dangerously hard and icy and there’s seemingly enough snow coming next week to make a difference.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never skied pistes as hard and windswept as today. From top of Avoriaz down towards the Chavenette bowl (Choucas lift) has huge sections of sheet ice. Better in amongst the trees down towards Prodains though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nelbert75 wrote:
I would honestly have kept your dough for another week and/or destination further east. It’s mind numbingly cold with a northerly that would cut you in two, dangerously hard and icy and there’s seemingly enough snow coming next week to make a difference.

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately we couldn't be flexible so couldn't wait until next week. I think it's going to get a tad warmer tomorrow onwards.. oh well. It is, what it is!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Oscar9423, I reckon you'll still have fun. They're making snow like crazy and sking fast will warm you up!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It seemed a lot quieter in Chatel today and the piste skiing was great. The snow cannons have made a huge difference and conditions are lovely if very cold! I am sure you will have a fab time if you wrap up warm Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My advice for anyone visiting over the coming week is to get your skis serviced, even better buy a cheap edge tool and give them a run over each morning.
Stones on piste so angle changes are debatable, sharp edges a must.
Its dangerous atm with the holiday crowds but that should ease at the weekend.
be aware and stay safe
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@julietp, Agreed, and the canons should be able to keep running for at least the next few days so conditions will continue to improve. Weather today was glorious.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Aiden76 @julietp, thanks for your reasurrance. Just what I needed. :-0.....and thanks to @MeMyselfandI too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@julietp, @Aidan76, @MeMyselfandI, I'm grateful for your updates too. @Oscar9423, we'll have to do our duty too once we get there and update the folks on this forum!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To cold and windswept pistes in Avoriaz this morning so we ent back to Morzine and Let Get . Much warner and pistes, well everything but powder on every slope. Keeps you alert. New edges tonight I think !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also you're almost better in Les Gets/Morzine than Avoriaz if you're concerned about your bases. we're on pasture which means less stones! Long range (yes, I know) forecast showing good snow at the end of next week and then solidly for the last half of the month. Apparently the polar something have changed or something so it means snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also also, anyone who comes sking in January and complains about being cold really should have gone to the Bahamas Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MeMyselfandI, looks more mid week to me.....starting tues. Polar something does seem to be changing Cool
Latest GFS numbers are 30cm to wednesday, FL below 1000m

http://www.meteociel.fr/tendances-neige/27685/les_gets.htm
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep looks much more positive for LG from Wed onwards and while ensemble has moved so moving further West. Fantastic piste skiing if you pick your times and aspects but jeeepers there some maniacal skiing going on , really inappropriate speed in the wrong places. Would be great to see a solid 0.5m land to cover everything up properly. One good aspect as the base is solid and has been freeze/thawed a bit so will stay around at seasons end.
latest report
@alj, we'll have to do our duty too once we get there and update the folks on this forum!

Absolutely!

BTW, I'll be in the Barbylon Bar (Les Gets) tomorrow night....anyone else there?

Thanks again all. Very Happy
ski holidays
Pistes much better today Morzine LG. Cannons helping loads but watch out for the hard packed and icy patches in the afternoon.
Looking forward to the departure of the out of control adults and kamikaze children this weekend. Still avoiding avoriaz after Tuesdays jaunt. So busy up there.
ski holidays
@Oscar9423, you'll find lots of people there, don't worry about that Wink
ski holidays
We are in Avoriaz for a week from 13th Jan. With the current forecasts not much prospect of off piste, but are there any skinning tracks open for some exercise and kick turn practice?
snow report
@On the rocks, there are no official skinning tracks as such in Avoriaz. However the touring has been OK so far for this part of the season. Until the last couple of days south facing slopes have been softening nicely and there has been good spring snow.
I've been out most days since early December, subject to other commitments. It has only been the last couple of days that I haven't bothered due to the boiler plate everywhere.
By the time you come out there should have been some fresh snow, although they are not forecasting season changing snowfall. Hopefully you'll have better conditions than this week!
The only thing is, there isn't a huge amount of touring around Avoriaz because most of it is piste or lift accessed. Don't suppose you have a car?
snow report
Thanks, no car and this will really be a piste holiday with my partner, hoping for better conditions for OP ant touring elsewhere later in the season. I thought I saw a skinning track on the piste map but may be wrong. I was really just looking for a shortish skin to top of a piste to ski down.
snow report
You can do that anywhere, there are no rules against it during the day but they are a little anti at night due piste basher activity.
snow conditions
I’m thinking of leaving skis and boys here so we don’t need to drag them
Out for a couple of long weekends later on when the snow gives us some off piste options. Is there any where in Morzine ?
ski holidays
Some good pistes today, mainly skied in super Chatel plus of course there and back as we are in avoriaz
snow report
@bigtoe, storage opposite the Mairie in Morzine, next to the chemist. Don’t know anything about it though.
latest report
So we did our first day around avoriaz mostly and a little towards chatel. Coverage is fine anywhere that was open. Even areas with warnings for low coverage seemed ok. I origionally wanted to ski linga rather than rochasons but couldnt find TS les combes from Plaine Dranse ... only had a low res piste map there.
Going to try les gets tomorrow.

All was do-able even with my limited skill.

morning:
blue lac - a little icy but ok
blue d'arare - icy at top
blue fornet - ok
blue chavanette - icy at top
red les lanches - ok

afternoon:
blue mosette ok

going towards chatel
le chesery was ok

red les rochasons was ok coverage wise but tough for me as it was quite churned up and mogully

back towards avoriaz.

blue grand plan. snow fine but I struggled with moguls and lots of traffic + nutters

home run to avioraz from prolays was fine snow wise but again full of moguls and nutty traffic by 4pm
snow report
Am considering booking some cheap flights for a short stay (17th to 20th January), and wondered if anyone had recommendations on where I might find a decent lodgings in central Morzine? Preferably somewhere that rents by the night, on a B&B or even HB basis? Or a chalet that happens to have beds free that week?
I had a look on bookings.com and can't find anything that looks a good deal, they're all around £150 a night.
Thanks.
ski holidays
@ellfleet, you couldn't find Les Combes from Plaine Dranse because it doesn't start from there. You need to take Chaux des Rosees and then ski the blue run that takes you down to it.

If you found Rochassons a struggle in today's conditions you wouldn't enjoy the top bit of Linga much.

Glad to hear the pistes are not too bad.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zzz, many thanks
ski holidays
@aceandy79, Apex B+B, Sherpa Hotel, Hideout Hostel
snow conditions
DJL wrote:
@ellfleet, you couldn't find Les Combes from Plaine Dranse because it doesn't start from there. You need to take Chaux des Rosees and then ski the blue run that takes you down to it.

If you found Rochassons a struggle in today's conditions you wouldn't enjoy the top bit of Linga much.

Glad to hear the pistes are not too bad.

Thanks. It wasnt clear on the map i had.
latest report
Quick update for those interested in Les Gets area. So far have only skied the latter part of yesterday afternoon. Snow conditions not as bad as I thought they were going to be. Clearly the cannons have been going (and on now as I write). Les Gets bowl area was very nice in places but did have icy/bear patches to keep you on your toes. The red down (Sautenaille) from Ranfoilly was very lovely in places and quiet too although we were approaching last lift time. Was expecting the home run back to Les Gets to be a nightmare but No! We took the Golf route via the tunnel and it was great. Worse part was the last piste down to the chair - busy and icy with a dusting of artificial snow. Weather glorious, bit chilly but it’s January so what can you expect. Finished with a couple of beers in Barbylon! Going to check out the Morzine side (off Folliets) today. Enjoy everyone. Very Happy
ski holidays
And it’s just started snowing in Les Gets
snow report
shep wrote:
@aceandy79, Apex B+B, Sherpa Hotel, Hideout Hostel

Thanks @shep will take a look at those
snow conditions
Watch out for the bears.
ski holidays
Timc wrote:

This is great news, heading out tomorrow morning!!
ski holidays
fergs wrote:
Timc wrote:

This is great news, heading out tomorrow morning!!

In les gets now, it was a very light dusting so nothing to be excited about unfortunately. Snow conditions here nicer than Avoriaz in general much less ice. A few more bare patches but easy enough to miss.
snow report
Guns have been rattling away for last 3 days esp in high traffic areas. Looks promising for tue-thu with snow and cold temps sustaining.
ski holidays
Absolutely fantastic piste skiing in Chatel and Avoriaz this morning (started in Chatel and went as low as bottom of Prodains and good conditions everywhere) - no high winds and a little warmer. Empty slopes - a truly great morning and now it is snowing Smile
snow conditions
@aceandy79, stick up your dates on the Solutions Room on Chalets Direct. It has never let me down re: finding spare beds in chalets at good rates.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy