Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
Avoriaz will be open, not sure how much of it though. Heard Les Gets will open Chavannes Express on the weekends. Can see they've bashed the main piste lightly overnight, which made the hike up very quick. Nice to be woken by the tractor. Off piste at 1600m has a good 30cm compacted snow. Forecasts were pretty good, about 20cm on the car at 1300m and 40-50cm above 1500m.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blimey it's quiet around here.

Especially given that chatelsnowreport measured 50-100cm of fresh from sat-mon and posted some very nice photos yesterday.

Châtel has announced it's opening the linga/plj sectors this weekend, including the link to Avoriaz.

I'll be on the first lift Saturday. Can't wait.

{tumbleweed... A distant church bell chimes}
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll be on the second PLJ chair
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ll be on the Prodains lift, looking at the release yesterday pretty much the whole area is open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hoping someone can help me here.

Is the Super Morzine left the main lift to the ski areas? If I wanted to go to Avoriaz to ski is it further lifts?

For the ski schools and beginners do they tend to use one area(carpet etc). I ask because one of my sons is very nervous and won’t probably get off the carpet (6 hours of private lessons booked). With this in mind would I only need a Morzine lift pass for him?

My other half doesn’t ski, can she buy a Pedestrian pass?

Finally our accommodation maybe one of two places. One is slightly out of town and would require driving in, is there sufficient parking in town by the main lift?

Finally I may hire a car from Geneva as the private transfer is £400. Would I need chains to drive to Morzine and is the route fairly easy?

We are travelling second week of Jan.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does anyone know, what the situation is like in Super Chatel area at the moment? Most reports are from Linga/PLJ and no webcams, odd.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any news on Morzine/LesGets scope of opening this weekend? Cheers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WindOfChange, @snoozeboy, unfortubately I’ll be on a flight to Oz as the lifts open on Saturday. Hopefully we can meet in person, along with other regular snowHead, when we are back in Chatel for various long weekend from the middle of January. Enjoy opening weekend and ski safe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DanFuller, To get to Avoriaz town without using additional lifts then you need the Prodains Lift.
You can get to Avoriaz by skiing via Prodains, Ardents or Super Morzine.
If you are driving, then parking is easier at Ardent than Prodains ( and Free ) there in an underground car park not far from the Super Morzine gondola, but its quite small and expensive.
The beginner school in Lindarets ( accessible from Ardent) is pretty good, and they have a gentle drag lift.
You should not need chains just to get to Morzine unless it's in the middle of the night.
The 2 main accesses from Taninges or Thonon are pretty busy which keeps them pretty clear during the daytime.
You can get a pedestrian pass for the Prodains and Ardent lifts.
If you just go up in the Super Morzine gondola, you still need a couple of chair lifts and walking to get to Avoriaz ( a good couple of hours).
If you go up as a pedestrian to Ardent, then one of the restaurants overlooks the beginner slope, but you can't really get to Avoriaz town that easily on foot.
If you do have a car, then you can also drive up to Avoriaz and park in the big ass carpark.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DanFuller wrote:

Finally our accommodation maybe one of two places. One is slightly out of town and would require driving in, is there sufficient parking in town by the main lift?

Finally I may hire a car from Geneva as the private transfer is £400. Would I need chains to drive to Morzine and is the route fairly easy?

When you say 'slightly out of town' - which direction? Has a big impact on your likely parking scenarios.

There are shuttles available with many companies from GVA to Morzine for around 50 euro return per person if you don't want to splash out on a car and stay closer to town.

For your nervous/non-skiing family there are a few options for you (Pleney, Ardent, Prodains) but depends on where you're staying and how you're getting about. Let us know where your accommodation options are and there'll be loads of advice coming your way.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You should not need chains just to get to Morzine unless it's in the middle of the night.

Provided you have a car with winter tyres (which you will, if you rent from the Swiss side of Gva). Summer tyres can lose traction with even a gentle gradient and a bit of slush on the road. However, you will have to have chains in the car - sometimes conditions are bad enough that the police will require that you put them on. You normally get chains with a Swiss hire car but you need to check and, if the weather looks really bad (ie good, in the context of a ski holiday), check they are the right size for the car and you know how to put them on. Renting a car won't save you much money, but might make it easier moving round the area and in the second week of January (very good choice) things shouldn't be too busy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jenniper wrote:
DanFuller wrote:

When you say 'slightly out of town' - which direction? Has a big impact on your likely parking scenarios
There are shuttles available with many companies from GVA to Morzine for around 50 euro return per person if you don't want to splash out on a car and stay closer to town.

For your nervous/non-skiing family there are a few options for you (Pleney, Ardent, Prodains) but depends on where you're staying and how you're getting about. Let us know where your accommodation options are and there'll be loads of advice coming your way.

One is on Route Des Encoches, the other Essert Romand. And one other is a possibility is between the Rue Du Borg.

Given we are only there for 5 skiing days I wanted to maximise time spent and go with private transfers or car hire.

We have booked with Freedom 2 ski so wanted to understand our logistics each morning before getting the boys to the meeting point (Top of the Morzine Telecabine) for 915am lessons.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WindOfChange wrote:
@DanFuller, To get to Avoriaz town without using additional lifts then you need the Prodains Lift.
If you are driving, then parking is easier at Ardent than Prodains ( and Free ) there in an underground car park not far from the Super Morzine gondola, but its quite small and expensive.
The beginner school in Lindarets ( accessible from Ardent) is pretty good, and they have a gentle drag lift.
The 2 main accesses from Taninges or Thonon are pretty busy which keeps them pretty clear during the daytime.
If you just go up in the Super Morzine gondola, you still need a couple of chair lifts and walking to get to Avoriaz ( a good couple of hours).
If you go up as a pedestrian to Ardent, then one of the restaurants overlooks the beginner slope, but you can't really get to Avoriaz town that easily on foot.
If you do have a car, then you can also drive up to Avoriaz and park in the big ass carpark.

Thank you, we are with Freedom 2 ski with a meeting point of either at the top of Super Morzine or prodain lift.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DanFuller wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

Thank you, we are with Freedom 2 ski with a meeting point of either at the top of Super Morzine or prodain lift.

Their meeting point is normally at the top of the Prodains lift. Definitely a better route up for you, given your description of your group, if that's the case.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Oleski, The Chatel Snow Report team are visiting Super Chatel area. See here https://www.chatelsnowreport.com/snow-reports/12-12-2018-today-s-updates.

I must say it looks good from the photos and they will continue to blast the snow canons whenever possible until the schedule opening date for the sector of 22 December.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, yes I've seen that! Almost as thought they've seen my post Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Oleski, i think most reports focus on linga/plj because that area opens on Saturday, is the most snowsure and largely the most popular sector in chatel.

As @Ozboy, put it, he Super Chatel area opens on 22nd. From chatelsnowreport it looks pretty good up there right now and generally it's often my preferred area to avoid the crowds during busy times.
snow report
When I looked at the Braitaz (La Chapelle D'Abondance) webcam this morning people were skinning up & skiing down.
snow conditions
Champery /Les Crosets / Morgins opening this weekend. Link to Avoriaz open via Grand Conche but not Mossettes. Not sure about link coming back. Cover looked good above Les Crosets today. Cannons (including the new ones) blasting away and lots of piste prep going on today.
snow report
Had dinner with a friend who is a liftie in Avoriaz.
He said that most of it will be open tomorrow, and the links to Chatel / Linga ( Chaux Fleurie) will also be open this weekend.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, good to hear, might get there afternoon.

Sat will be first lift battle in many places. I'll be doing last years trick of getting on Chavannes Express and then hiking up for 5mins to Nauchet. Bowl will be empty. Scoot down under lift or through the forests, then take the access path towards lake / QG bar and back on the lift.

snow report
Looks Fab up there. I was gonna wait till Sat for PLJ, but seeing that pic you posted has just prompted me to book a day off to hit Avoriaz tomorrow Smile
snow report
Yep and that pic's only at 1500m. My favourite time of year....untracked snow everywhere, hopefully not crowded. Tomorrow will be amazing, and early Sat.
ski holidays
Grinning from ear to ear if you get to the lift before everyone else. This at 1400m yesterday

latest report
polo wrote:
@WindOfChange, good to hear, might get there afternoon.

Sat will be first lift battle in many places. I'll be doing last years trick of getting on Chavannes Express and then hiking up for 5mins to Nauchet. Bowl will be empty. Scoot down under lift or through the forests, then take the access path towards lake / QG bar and back on the lift.

How will you up from the bowl? I want to get to the plateau de Nyon on the other side but there's nothing to come back.

Or.... is there a way to get from bottom of the bowl down to either Chavannes or the town. Or even to Turche?
snow conditions
Ok just re read your post. There's a route!

So the bowl won't be empty Smile Bring on saturday!
ski holidays
Anyone knows if the Morzine side (Pleney/Nyon) is open?
ski holidays
Rather pathetically, IMHO, just the Pleney cabine and Piste 'B'. 12 euros for the day 15/16th December.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 14-12-18 7:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@patrick!, to be fair, it's not a great exit track right now, but worth a run or two into an almost empty bowl....better during season when it's been flattened, and is just about icy enough to slide along. Still have to unstrap a snowboard on it at a few spots, so better for skiers, but still a slog (nice setting though).

There is another route through the trees that brings you out much closer to QG, thus avoiding the flat / uphill section of the forest track....but not easy to find / explain.
snow conditions
Heading out to Morzine/Avoriaz after work tomorrow for the weekend - this thread is currently making me smile....lots!
ski holidays
[Ski area opening info]
� Avoriaz - Most of the area will open from the 14th, and full area from 22nd of December. Liaisons Châtel & les Crosets open from 15th.

� Morzine - PLeney Gondola and Piste B open on the 15th and 16th of Dec. Special price : 12€ per day. Full opening on 22nd December

� Les Gets - Partial opening (basically Chavannes) the 15th and 16th of December with special rates. Full opening planned the 22nd.
snow report
My brother and I are thinking of booking to come to Avoriaz for New Year week (with 5 kids aged between 16 and 10).
Is there likely to be plenty of snow? Will it be manically busy? And what’s it like for a mixed ability group with a couple of early intermediates who like easy cruising runs?
I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to ask a few questions - please tell me where I should post them.
latest report
We’re off for New Year, mixed group from beginners up to decent intermediates. Plenty for all of us at Avoriaz

As for snow, there’s a reasonable amount at the minute but you’d need a crystal ball to know how much more there will be in the next two weeks.

Not been at New Year before but I’d guess it’ll be pretty busy, much like other resorts. I suspect the bowl around Stade will be a bit cluttered for the first few hours of the day.
snow report
Snow forecast showing another 50cm over the weekend and into Monday. Yee ha !
ski holidays
Arriving Sunday. Been told by ski instructor that pleney is closed- open tomorrow and Sunday then closed all week. We need to meet at top of les prodains.

Does anyone know how much a taxi would be? Staying by morzine town square. Would you expect Avoriaz to be very busy as morzine closed? Thanks
snow report
Is the bus not running yet?
snow conditions
I think so. Was just wondering rough price. Wife was asking. She may travel alone with young child
snow conditions
Looking for any recommendations for practical avalanche awareness/training (grouped, and in English, ideally) in Morzine/Avoriaz, if anyone has any?

If it incorporates some guided off-piste that's fine too. Did a bit of googling but only Avoriaz Alpine Ski School and Freedom 2 Ski have I found publicly advertising these, and haven't had experience with either. Cheers.
snow conditions
My eldest son has broken his collar bone this week, ahead of our new year trip.... Sad

So we will be alternating keeping him occupied and vaguely happy (he quite rightly is v unhappy about it atm). I know about the pool complex and cinema. Wondering about going a bit of a walk so what footwear in conjunction with hireing snow shoes?
Also we have a car and so a day trip is possible - anything for an injured grumpy teenager within an hour or so?
ski holidays
can't help with the above....apart from the snow-shoeing one, normal water proof shoes / boots that you'd use for hiking are ideal with snowshoes.....wouldn't try it with trainers.
Day trips....go to all the villages. Les Carroz has some crazy new luge ride.

Meanwhile, back at the office, I was on the first chair of the season, just me and the local ESF ski club for 12yr olds. Couldn't believe how quiet it was for the first 3 lifts....literally 5-10 people on the mountain all furiously trying to track it out. The numbers slowly built up, to the point where at one stage there were people in front of me at a lift.

Other pics on the link...this one is first chair

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy