Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
@MajorMarmaduke - It is also the ski testing weekend in Avoriaz next w/e. Sign up in advance or on the day at the top of Prodains and help yourself to as many different skis as you wish for the 2 days.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a question about Super Chatel area guys.

We will have a 2.5 year old with us with her nanny and I am wondering if it's better take them to PLJ daily or up the Super Chatel gondola to spend time just messing around, sledging, that sort of stuff.
The former seems to have more magic carpets and nursery slopes whereas the latter is closer to where we are staying, so no need to drive/take a bus.

It's a logistical question for me as I need to know where to book the lessons for the rest of us - it will be easier if we are all headed the same way in the mornings and then have lunch together.

(Assume there will be snow in both areas)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ozboy, yeah I've read them for a few seasons, it's a great resource, but I think it's better to look beyond the Op runs that far out, and include ensembles, mean anomalies, background signals and a wider set of models such as JMA, GEM, and FV3.

That ECM chart is backed by 50% of it's ensembles, about as high as you'll get at +216 hours. Once the atlantic starts to break in like that, it's a close call as to whether we will end up under mild SW'lys like right now, or whether the jet stream can buckle enough to turn the winds more N-NW (like Monday coming). Latest GFS shows what can go wrong, it's got Sat 15th showing 50ml rain to 2500m.

Here's ICON's take on snowfall out to Tues.....like GFS and ECM it's in the 50-60cm range for PdS

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Oleski, SC has a couple of ok restaurants on the plateau, plus a picnic room.
Whereas at PLJ the restaurant is by the big-ass carpark, so lunches would be nicer at SC.
The rest of your party can ski from PLJ to SC in about 35 mins if they wish.
As for lessons, even if you book ESF in Chatel, they may still ask you go go to PLJ depending upon the snow conditions, the ability of the group, whether you have PdS passes or just Chatel ones, and where the instructor's previous class finished etc ....
We have used ESF Chatel a couple of times when we were learning to snowboard (2001) they took us to SC, but a couple of years ago we did a private 3 hour freeride and jib lesson and we started out at PLJ.
If it were me, I would take the small child to SC as if they get cold or bored then you are nearer your accommodation.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WindOfChange, thanks you, that was more or less my thinking too.

As far as I understand Gabelou chair is two way? Or is there another way from SC to PLJ I don't see?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Oleski, Both the the PdS Chair and the Gabelou are two way, but that'll only get you as far as Linga.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WindOfChange, right, but from Linga it's just all the way up l'Echo Alpin and down to PLJ. Or no?

you said PLJ->SC is ~35 min. Is it the same the other way?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WindOfChange wrote:
The rest of your party can ski from PLJ to SC in about 35 mins if they wish..

Bit ambitious I think - PLJ to Super Chatel is minimum 4 chair lifts plus one drag and a ski most of the way down Linga. At my rule of thumb of 10 mins per lift or piste that's about an hour.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@polo,

I’ve been lurking for a week or two Wink
Thought I had better start paying attention seeing as it’s time to get the planks out.
Thanks for all your weather input. Always appreciated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jenniper wrote:
Sorry if this is a daft question, but why is the water in Lac Montriond so low?

I walked round it yesterday and its considerably higher than it was about two and half weeks ago when I was last up there. I would say it was about 2.5 metres below the walking path whereas now its perhaps 1.5.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Oleski, Suggest you get onto booking lessons ASAP. We had a difficult time finding small groups with ESF and established private operators for half term and I assume it might be the same for Xmas/New Year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ozboy wrote:
@Oleski, Suggest you get onto booking lessons ASAP. We had a difficult time finding small groups with ESF and established private operators for half term and I assume it might be the same for Xmas/New Year.

Any recommendations for private schools bar ESF?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DanFuller, this is our first time booking lessons for our kids in Chatel. BASS appears to be well recommended. We are using Helen Trayfoot who also runs a private school.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Oleski, It takes longer the other way as you need to use the Linga Gondola.

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/station-chatel-41.html

You can see that there is 21m30 sec of uplift going from PLJ - SC (to the Plateau by Restaurant at the end of the Portes Du Soleil).

PLJ 5m
Combes 6m
Gabelou 3m30
PDS 5m

The other way
PDS 5m
Gabelou 3m30
Linga 6m
Echo Alpin 6m
Queyset 2m30

23mins of uplift.

Depends on how fast you faff / ski for the other bits Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ozboy wrote:
@DanFuller, this is our first time booking lessons for our kids in Chatel. BASS appears to be well recommended. We are using Helen Trayfoot who also runs a private school.

Yes Bass looks good.

Can I ask what you are using for a transfer?
snow conditions
@DanFuller, do you mean transfer from airport? We drive from London for week long stays. Any other time we either rent a car or use the local taxi company (Rubin?) either from GVA €170-€200 each way or €70 from Aigle train station. There is also Magic Transfers
snow report
Thanks @ozboy

Yes I meant from the airport. We have discussed driving all the way, how do you find the drive? Do you do it in one hit?
ski holidays
Also Professional Transfers in Chatel.
snow report
zzz wrote:
@MajorMarmaduke,
That will be the first weekend of the season. Super Morzine will be closed so you'll have to catch the bus to Avoriaz (not sure when it starts running). There may be some limited skiing on Pleney. Don't think the links to Les Gets will be open, but happy to be corrected.

The Super Morzine was running from the 15th when we went out last year. Different conditions this time but the only thing we missed out on was Mont Chery.
snow conditions
Last year there had been plenty of snow and plenty of time to get the area prepared. This time we are starting from scratch and even if the forecast snowfall delivers, they'll only have 5 or so days to get all the sectors of Avoriaz from village up plus Lindarets prepared and ready. I doubt super m will run next weekend, but hopefully will be proven wrong
snow report
@DanFuller, we split overnight near Dijon if leave in PM after school. Otherwise if no school we do in one hit with 4 and 7 year olds. Aim to catch the 8:20am crossing. We prefer to do it in a day as it gets the inevidible stress of driving with kids out of the way. Overnighting just prolongs it. Takes around 12-13 hours door to door with kids. I did it solo on Tuesday in 11 hours with a smooth run and a couple of 20 min stops.
ski holidays
More noob question from me Very Happy

What is the best place to reliably refuel with winter diesel as we drive to Chatel via Switzerland?
snow conditions
out to Morzine 16th December. Does anyone know if you can see any snow on the run that is along side the toboggan run?
snow report
Keeping an eye on Morzine, booking a hol in late jan based on wherever has the best conditions.
snow report
ianvip wrote:
out to Morzine 16th December. Does anyone know if you can see any snow on the run that is along side the toboggan run?

There is currently no snow in Morzine and very little below about 1900m. All due to change this weekend.
snow report
Quote:

There is currently no snow in Morzine and very little below about 1900m. All due to change this weekend

fingers crossed
ski holidays
Today in Chatel:

I went to see progress on the Pierre Longue chair (after visiting the Dechetterie) and pleased to see they were runnning the new lift with all chairs attached. Still a lot of landscaping work going on and the carpark was a mud bath.

All the piste bashers were out and lined up in the car park waiting for action.

It started raining heavily in the village on cue at 7pm. Current temp at 1270m is 5 degrees and falling.
latest report
Spent the afternoon raking leaves and tidying the garden in a t-shirt. Morzine Christmas Fair been cancelled for Sunday due to expected Siberian conditions. Funny old world innit?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah it was hot today...scary how warm the sun can be in Decemeber these days. I was frantically driving the last few bits of new kitchen up the hill before the whole thing turns into a slippery slope. The driveway that is, not my perfectly straight counters.

Saw some fantastic looking snow ploughs....will take a pic next time, but there's one just out of cellophane in Essert Romand, and a converted ex military vehicle style one parked by the morzine dechet.
snow report
Praying for the snow to be down for opening week. At least enough for the kids to have a few runs at the top of plenney
latest report
Rain has now turned to snow at 1280m in Chatel.
ski holidays
Fri-sat always looked light on snowfall here, expecting some this evening above 1500m, then the temps only really drop Sunday afternoon, when the heaviest precipitation is due, so villages might see 20cm with closer to 40cm higher up.
Short range model Hirlam shows the potential tomorrow.

latest report
Les Gets at end of jan boarding, watching this thread with interest even though we are a little way off.
am planning on heading over to the stash in avoriaz for a play on several days
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
More noob question from me Very Happy

What is the best place to reliably refuel with winter diesel as we drive to Chatel via Switzerland?

There’s a Two or three just before the border if you’re going St Gingolph way and a big one at Cora supermarket in Publier
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, thank you looking them up now to add to my route
ski holidays
Judging from webcams, much anticipated snowfall didn't quite deliver? Any news from people on the ground?
snow report
@Oleski, we are at 1270m and there has been no more that 1-2cm accumulations from various flurries which have then washed away. There is a clear snowline on Mont de Grange across from its at around the same elevation. Probably lots has fallen higher as it’s snowed all day. Weather has now closed in and snow is fluffiest it’s been all day.
snow report
Oleski wrote:
Judging from webcams, much anticipated snowfall didn't quite deliver? Any news from people on the ground?

it appears to be setting in now, heavier precipitation, still rain at 930m where I am. there will have been decent accumulations higher up as its been already been raining for 15 hours.
latest report
50cm on the tops apparently
ski holidays
Does this mean there will be a meaningful opening acros PDS next weekend? No updates appearing on tourist info sites as yet. Any local knowledge? Cheers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy