Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Starting ski servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to start servicing my and wife's skis so that'll be 6* services throughout the year

I've been looking at the Piste Office's kit.

Given the paucity of use, will the Kunzmann profi 3 piece be sufficient or would there be an argument for getting the Jaws of beast set ?

Also how does one adapt these (if at all) for cross country skls (classic)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in the same boat last year and ended up getting the Mr. Gripy stand made by a small company here in Norway.

Fantastic product but a little expensive at €99 but I think it’s worth it.

I could do a little review and photos (with XC and Alpine skis) if you like.

Unfortunately they only ship within Norway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Profi 3 should be fine.

Can't answer on the xc skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would have thought the profi would be fine. If you're in doubt you can always call spyderjon and let him leg you over* wink

* actually despite his scouse bandit persona he usually gives pretty straight up advice
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found the following extreamly helpful when I stated servicing skis last year.

An old Black & Decker workmate.

also

Spiderjon and his excellent website Very Happy

Ski Tuning with George Merrill 9 videos on youtube: link for the first one below

http://youtube.com/v/RBehqDQWO0c

Kit from Glisshop because I had vouchers after buying skis so stuff was really cheap
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the Profi 3 and it works fine for my skis (although they're not cross-country), I also purchased an additional boot sole clamp bracket but that is just because I'm lazy. I probably service mine more than you and never think they're not up to the job.

If I was buying again i'd probably fork out for the beast purely to stop using the binding clamp brackets, I don't like getting them out, but its semantics. Also, I'm now in a position whereby I have all the tools I need so the cost difference doesn't seem too huge, at the time it made a difference (I bought the second boot sole clamp later).

If you've got the cash I'd go JoB (with extra bands) if you're buying lots of stuff go for the Profi 3.

I would 100% recommend buying from Jon and also doing his tuning course, worth every penny and biscuit twice over !

Disclaimer, haven't got a clue if they fit your type of skis. Call Jon, he's very helpful
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got a profi myself. I've five pairs of skis in the house and do my mates for beer.

Must have had it 10 years+ or so, and it's fine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @dsoutar, are your classic skis full wax (grip wax in the centre, glide at the ends) or are they herringbone in the centre? Or... the new-Aeroskin types?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks so much for all the advice.

I should have been clearer, the 6* services referred to are for alpine skis but I also have 2 pairs xc classic which I'd service once prior to our annual Finland trip. The xc skis have something called r-grip in the centre which is sort of a proxy for herring-bone. I think this technology is starting to get replaced by mohair from what I can gather.

Regarding the stand, I'd seen a few comments elsewhere about workbenches the main gripe being the lack of adjustable height resulting in sore backs so planned to make my own with a couple of height adjustable saw horses and some mdf
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1st time I did my own snowboard was in front of the TV with a youtube video.
That wax was a bug to get off solid wood flooring.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, don’t wax in your living room.

If you’re a bit handy, something like this could be fun to make.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi again @dsoutar, with that type of xc ski I generally just put glide wax on the tips and tails. The centre is either supposed to grip, while you kick, or stays up off the snow anyway. I've never had any problem just using the alpine vices to hold them while waxing. Not sure there's much else to do on them really ... it's not as though they have any edges to polish. If you really want to, you can get adapters that hold them more securely - google 'profil de fartage' - but as I say, I've never found the need.

I've used an adapted saw-horse very happily as a waxing bench. Rather than have two, I just bough one really solid one (Kinchrome Trademan's Sawhorse) and replaced the wooden part with a longer piece - 110cm, so it still fits in the boot of the car. The replacement wood consisted of several left-over bits of engineered wood flooring glued together to ensure it stayed decently stiff.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Spoon,

What a neat solution ! I might well have a go at adapting that.

@bobski62,

Thanks for the info re vices. Yes, don't see any need to spend any more money as the vices and kit from Jon will be over £200 and at least part of this exercise is to save money

I'll be banished to the garage with this I'm certain but that's no big deal to be honest. An extra fleece if cold and my Bluetooth speakers will keep me going
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
... don't bother with the fleece. You get surprisingly warm working on skis!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy