Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Has to be the Hinterhag, last stop on way home before the village. Make sure your tipsy on arrival...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidthornton,
Live music:
Live band in Castello - come on around 11.30-11.45pm. Same band at Soul House from 3.30pm for apres-ski party. Probably the best band I’ve ever seen in Saalbach!
Spacey plays guitar from 10.00pm on Sunday and Wednesday in Otzi Bar, and on Monday in Crazy Deer.
Spacey also entertains and whips up a great party from 5.00-8.00pm on Tuesday and Thursday at Spitzbub.
Live singer/guitarist from 10.00pm every evening in the Underbar. Also, from what I hear in Taverne.
Live band in the Hinterhag every day 4.00-7.30pm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Last visited Saalbach in 1991!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidthornton, There have been a few changes in the last 28 years!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@landers, Being based in Vorderglemm, your natural run down will be piste 68, with a stop for refreshments and possibly apres-ski entertainment at the Hecherhuette. The good news is that piste 68 is still open, despite the recent mild weather. Also, according to my cousin and his party of 20, who have been here in Saalbach this week, the Hecherhuette scores a perfect 10 out of 10 for everything, including its location, its staff, and its food (they’ve been there several days this week and have spent a small fortune on fillet steak and king prawns).
I would also give it full marks for its gulasch soup and jagatee- my usual lunchtime order, generally accompanied by kisses and hugs from my favourite waitress.
The not so good news is that it was distinctly heavy going skiing over from Saalbach this afternoon - sticky snow, slushy moguls, thick fog high up.
However conditions change very quickly from one day to the next. Late this afternoon it was snowing at around 1400m and it’s hard to predict what the next few days will bring. An overnight freeze will no doubt transform piste conditions.
Your best bet for good snow will be Leogang, which again is handy for you - straight up the Schoenleitenbahn and then two more lifts.
One of the attractions of Leogang is of course the choice of superb mountain restaurants: the Alte Schmiede, the Asitzbraeu, the Hendl Fischerei (“Chicken Man”), the Forsthofalm, and the Kralleralm.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the info on this thread, and especially to @tatmanstours for his guide, a work I have already recommended to numerous people! It certainly wowed my small group and we are booked up for 2020. Already counting days off.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Tatman, we've really enjoyed piste 68 and hecherhutte in the past on your recommendation and have it pencilled it as a key spot...
Seen some indication of high winds and has me worried.
We've never made it to leogang so that's the plan for Sunday...

If we see you on our travels I'll see hello

Landers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another great holiday in saalbach over , skiing wise just had a look on skiline and see we averaged just over 35km each day which all things considered as we are well in our 60s and dont start at the crack of dawn is fine. Friday was a bit grotty with cloud but the lack of folks about meant the pistes were actually easier as less soft moguls in the lower parts .Over the week we covered the whole area and I only had one spectacular fall .We had the usual fun full on apres ski, before we arrived had been a tad concerned that the hinterhag without josef wouldnt be as entertaining but glad to say that the line up with vladim taking over was just as much fun on the nights we went, even effi seemed to be almost in tune or im getting deafer. All the mountain huts we used offered good lunch food at reasonable cost and our hotel was yet again first class. Although next year will check when fasching is and try to avoid, nothing to do with the resort but the traffic up and down the motorways was much heavier and slower than other times.and took over 4 hours to get passed munich airport on our way up to rotterdam . Roll on next year back to saalbach, as I can see no reason to go elswhere
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thinking of taking the 680 bus to Zell to ski over there for a day, how easy is it to take the bus, I know we will have to pay, but are they OK with you getting on with your boots and Skis also how close is the stop to the City Express lift.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The 680 bus stop is immediately outside the City Express valley station. You’ll have no problems with ski boots and skis on the bus.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Austrian Seagull, good to know that the bus stops right by the City Express station as I can't see it on the timetable, presume it must be after the Hallenbad one
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hows it looking out there at the moment. Out on the 23rd and happy to see some fresh stuff over the last few days and into early next week. Hopefully will mean the pistes are in good nick! Can't wait!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
radar wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, good to know that the bus stops right by the City Express station as I can't see it on the timetable, presume it must be after the Hallenbad one

Postplatz is the bus stop that you want.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Austrian Seagull, Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
radar wrote:

At the end of your day in Zell you could ski down Red 21 and the X4 Viehhofen-Abfahrt ski trail back to the Saalbach valley.
latest report
Austrian Seagull wrote:
radar wrote:

At the end of your day in Zell you could ski down Red 21 and the X4 Viehhofen-Abfahrt ski trail back to the Saalbach valley.

Looking forward to doing that next year after getting the gondola up from the valley floor and lunching in Zell, with a view of the lake.
snow report
Just come in from a great night of apres-ski (Spacey at Spitzbub, followed by Elvis/ Tom Jones at Bergeralm Sport Hotel), and it’s snowing hard - the streets are deep in snow, just like January Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Gutted reading these reports. Had a fantastic week from the 3rd to the 9th. Didnt have a moment to keep things updated.
God i missed the Ski Circus. Great to be back.
First stay in Hinterglemm and at first thought it was really quiet and not a patch on Saalbach but found it has a lot going for it.
Spent a few apres in both places and at 15 euro for a taxi between its no big deal to experience either.

Thought the skiing was more challenging in Hinterglemm rather than Saalbach.

Dutch week was a bit mad.

We were last in Saalbach in 2016 and the improvements have made one of the best lift systems even better.
Well done to the pisteurs for keeping on top of the slopes even in the warmer spring temps.

How many days until next season?
latest report
How many days until next season?[/quote]

approx240 ,to usual time of visit356 and now almost decided to not go elswhere in january for a short trip and simply return to saalbach so 299 ish, whos counting ?
snow report
@skiforfun utmost respect for covering over 35k per day. Just registered my skiline data and we only hit that on one day.
Too much fun to be had elsewhere.
Still didnt make it over to Fieberbrunn, was not overly optimistic with the lads i was with as it seems mostly reds over there.
Although we did find most reds were easier than many blues.
A first for me was down 14 from the head of the Zwolferkogel on Saturday. Some freshies at the sides from the top. A lovely run.

My cousin who has just started skiing had done Meribel last year, then St Anton a few weeks back.
I did say i thought S/H would trump them but he doubted me.

And the results are in. He said S/H was better than both in every respect. Hardly a comprehensive review but i was pleased.
ski holidays
Quote:

Still didnt make it over to Fieberbrunn, was not overly optimistic with the lads i was with as it seems mostly reds over there.

Some reds are easier than others - for example F8 is easier than many blues.

Unlike Leogang, Fieberbrunn lends itself to taking a mixed group including nervous intermediates over there, utilising the gondolas for those of faint heart to get over the more challenging runs. For example, competent red run skiers can do F14, whilst the others take the TirolS gondola down, and meet at the bottom. Similarly with the Reckmoos North red run (with optional black section) and gondola.

I did this last season with my extremely cautious sister. She actually started skiing at the top of the Bernkogel, rode the gondolas over to Fieberbrunn, and resumed skiing when we got to F1c, followed by F8. On the way back she rode the Reckmoos North and South gondolas and resumed skiing at Reiterkogel Ost. It worked extremely well - I found that our respective arrivals at the rendezvous points were no more than a few minutes apart, which made for a stress-free day for all concerned.
latest report
Thats some great local knowledge. Thanks.
In all honesty we certainly didnt struggle for fresh challenges.
Looking back there was so much i had planned to do but never got round to. But i guess that was mostly because i was getting familiar with the Hinterglemm end of the valley.
snow report
Quote:

In all honesty we certainly didnt struggle for fresh challenges.
Looking back there was so much i had planned to do but never got round to.

@ianbradders, and next year you'll have over 400km to go at, with the new link to Zell am See Very Happy
snow report
Cant wait TT. Very Happy
Things we didnt get round to doing.
Route 68 and the Hecherhutte.
We got to Leogang and planned to get back to the Wildenkarkogel and then take advantage of the happy hour there, then down to the Bergeralm and ski down in the dark on beautiful courdroy.
But we missed the Schonleiten Bahn 2 by minutes so went down to Jausern and got a taxi to Saalbach.
We didnt get to the Hinterhagalm.
We didnt even stop at the Goatstall.
Didnt do the night skiing even though we were staying right on the piste alongside the U Bahn.
snow conditions
Also, didnt even ride the new Kohlmais or visit the new bar at the top station.
Or visit the Westernstadl.
We really must return very soon.
snow conditions
@ianbradders, Sounds as though you left plenty to do for next time!
ski holidays
So what did we do?
Der Schwarzeracher was a new one for me and a lively experience.
Tanzhimmel swung between really great vibe and somewhat moody on the Saturday of Dutch week.
Walleggalm was bouncing at 1pm.
The Big foot at the mid of Zwolferkogel was interesting come the weekend.
Some really decent well priced restaurants in Hinterglemm.
Bobbys was as welcoming as ever with some of the best late night food around in price and quality.
First visit to the Chicken Man. Wow.

Taxis plentiful, friendly and decent price.

The lift system is near perfect.
The pistes tick every box.
The food is 100%.
The locals are super friendly.
Prices are not cheap but in my opinion good value.

I am struggling to think why every single skier does not want to go to S/H.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@ianbradders, Sounds as though you left plenty to do for next time!

Would have to agree 100%. I question why i visited a couple of other places in between visits.
Admittedly i stopped at the spot where my wife popped both her knees just above the Maisalm.
Had a bit of a moment there actually.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am struggling to think why every single skier does not want to go to S/H.[/quote]

They would if they knew what we do.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Some reds are easier than others - for example F8 is easier than many blues.

Unlike Leogang, Fieberbrunn lends itself to taking a mixed group including nervous intermediates over there, utilising the gondolas for those of faint heart to get over the more challenging runs. For example, competent red run skiers can do F14, whilst the others take the TirolS gondola down, and meet at the bottom. Similarly with the Reckmoos North red run (with optional black section) and gondola.

I cannot see how F8 is possibly graded red. It's a great fast non stop from top to bottom.

I wish I had taken the gondola down to avoid F13 at the end of a warm sunny day over half term. That's a horrid little run in those conditions. Slushly moguls on a narrow path...
ski holidays

snow report
If you need an Aperol fix

ski holidays
No 19

at 12.30 today
ski holidays
One of the many things I like about Saalbach-Hinterglemm is the number of good mountain restaurant, we stopped for the first time at the Breitufssalm ( http://www.breitfussalm.at )for lunch, fantastic. Its on @tatmanstours, recommend list of Mountain restaurants, which we are working our way through.
ski holidays
Not been to that place. Half the trouble is the sheer volume of lovely places to stop.
I did see from their website that a Zwolferkogel lift is being replaced this summer. Is that the main one or the Nordbahn?
latest report
@ianbradders, we have put a lot of effort in trying to eat our way through @tatmanstours, list 7 weeks so far Toofy Grin .

The Zwolfeekogel is the first one after the tunnel coming from Saalbach, the bus goes through the car park, compared to other gondolas in the ski circus it’s old.
snow conditions
@Radar, the main Zwolferkogel then. That was the one bottle neck we had all week and only on the Sunday morning predictably.
I think the Nordbahn is much older but doesn't get the traffic. The levels of investment are crazy but impressive.
latest report
@ianbradders, unfortunately it is the main Zwolferkogel lift being replaced, not the Nordbahn with its standing up cabins, though I have a suspicion they will relocate the existing 8-person gondola system to the other side of the mountain when the Zwolferkogelbahn is replaced by 10-person gondolas.
latest report
@ousekjarr I don't mind the Nordbahn standing that much as it is quite short. The one at the Schonlitenbahn was a different matter. Especially after that blue (2?).
ski holidays
@ousekjarr I don't mind the Nordbahn standing that much as it is quite short. The one at the Schonlitenbahn was a different matter. Especially after that blue (2?).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy