Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
tatmanstours wrote:
@Peterjones3, We recommend Steve Rothwell, Georgi Popov, and Iavor Vasilew at Zink Ski School (also David Spacey when he’s instructing, rather than focusing his energies on apre-ski entertaining, and Kris Dragonishov for boarding).
Also Johnnie Walker at Furstauer.
PM me if you’d like any contact details.

Hi, PM sent requesting contact details. Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Peterjones3, Several guests of ours have been very happy with Steve Rothwell’s tuition.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T shirt skiing in Saalbach. Pistes holding up remarkably well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
radar wrote:
@buchanan101, still strange that’s its on the map, but then again so is the drag lift next to the Schattberg X-press. Shocked

The drag is actually there... seen it. Doesn’t run though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Seekar T-Bar is in operation again (having been repaired following the unfortunate damage caused to one its pylons during a controlled avalanche).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tatmanstours wrote:
The Seekar T-Bar is in operation again (having been repaired following the unfortunate damage caused to one its pylons during a controlled avalanche).

Indeed. Went up it a couple of days ago. Nice run. Run down from bottom of it to chair could be wider...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@buchanan101, the post are certainly there, just missing a fee bits Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
honved wrote:
Just back from a fantastic week in Saalbach, with mixed weather and a tremendous last few days. We had a lovely evening at the Hinterhag Alm, but missed Josef.

As usual, Burgi and (I think) her son were very welcoming at Burgi's bar, and in a departure from our normal apres agenda, the schnapps at Westernstadl on the way back down the Bernkogel, was good fun. The music in there was just right, not too loud, not too much Kenny Chesney and Garth Brooks, and a small amount of Dolly Parton.

We did the SkiCircus Challenge on Friday and somewhat annoyingly, my lift pass didn't register on the Tirol S back out of Fieberbrunn, so no commemorative gift for me. For those that are thinking about it, we started up the Schattberg Xpress about 9am, took 50 minutes for lunch and made it back down the Schattberg black at about 3.50pm. It's a long day, but if you are a fit competent skier, who can ski quite fast, then it's not too taxing. I really enjoyed the morning runs, but by the top of the Westgipfel on the way back, I was just going through the motions and keen to get home for a beer.

Just provisionally booked the same week next year. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Love it. Under your skin then?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ianbradders wrote:

You could say that. I think next year will be our sixth trip.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
honved wrote:
ianbradders wrote:

You could say that. I think next year will be our sixth trip.

Always good to see what lifts they’ve replaced? His soon before they replace the old 4 seater on the back of the Schattberg and the stand up gondola up the Zweiferkogel?

Queues a little longer than the last half term we visited but pistes not at all crowded. I had much busier pistes in Ischgl in January (and hence more mogulling pm)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apparently the Zwölferkogelbahn is scheduled for replacement next season (in addition to the new link to Zell).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good Evening,

Would it be possible for someone to identify the summit/area in the following video at 3:17?

http://youtube.com/v/ysL6Ec7pwWo

Many thanks!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Asitz. Top of Leogang drone flying in from over the Alteschmiede towards the chicken man.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AnotherAndrew, top of Leogang I think, chicken man, asitz brau, simply the best part of the circus for me
snow report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Asitz. Top of Leogang drone flying in from over the Alteschmiede towards the chicken man.

ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@AnotherAndrew, top of Leogang I think, chicken man, asitz brau, simply the best part of the circus for me

Many thanks to you both.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
@Drammeister, I would say about 3 hours from Fieberbrunn to the bottom in Leogang, skiing at a moderate pace. Allow a bit longer in case of hold-ups.

We did this today!
We got round in just over 3hrs excluding the lunch stop... but we had a long wait for the very crowded bus back to Fieberbrunn.
The snow on south facing pistes was pretty slushy in these temperatures. The snow was much better once we got round to the Leogang side, Pretty much queue free all the way.
ski holidays
I'm back at work now after another great week in the Glemmtal - 6 days of wall to wall sunshine, temperatures of up to 15 degrees reported at some of the lift stations on Sunday and Monday, but lower as the week went on, and throughout it all the pistes held up very well. Yes, it got soft lower down and moguls were common from about 11 onwards, but I was half expecting to do some waterskiing at times and it didn't happen.

Only the last day (Friday 22nd) was a problem - raining in the valley, snowing heavily from about 1400m, so we headed high on the Westgipfelbahn only to find that it had 50-60kph winds at the top and closed as soon as we got out. Limited visibility for the first 500 metres of vertical, horizontal snow, and about 8 people on the mountain - we got down to the midstation with care, had a break, and then battled on down through the driving rain and decided that was enough for the day as every high lift was closed and all of the lower ones were in rain. It improved a little later on, but a combination of achey knees, wet kit and reluctant family meant we stayed in. Apparently we missed a short powderfest when the higher lifts reopened around mid afternoon.

We left Hinterglemm at 0610 on Saturday, and arrived home at 2215 with 4 toilet stops and a 10 minute shopping experience in the Eurotunnel terminal, for a total of 890 miles each way. Long day, but relatively pain free.
snow conditions
@ousekjarr Yes the pistes held up remarkably well. I was surprised how uncrowded they were - pistes at Ischgl in January were much more crowded. Lift queues not too bad considering; worst that weird 5 can cable car in Fieberbrunn and the older (more western) Leogang gondola (though timed arrival badly at 10:10).

Worst piste - slushy moguls on a the track at the bottom of the return route from Fieberbrunn; that last part needs a proper piste
ski holidays
Buchanan, which run is that? The slushy mogul one.
Longer forecast is showing colder again but barely getting zero.
latest report
ianbradders wrote:
Buchanan, which run is that? The slushy mogul one.
Longer forecast is showing colder again but barely getting zero.

F13. It's easily downloadable and only 200m height according to map, and means you can continue on the gondola up back towwards Saalbach. I'd recommend that in the afternoon - when a lot of people are doing it.

The run above it F12 is also as you'd expect PM - slushy moguls, but it's a full width piste, and there is a way to avoid much of it (F12a)

Some nice runs in Fieberbrunn so well worth the visit. Can't for the life of me see why F8 is red - it's a great easy blue blast from top to bottom.

Forecast had said up to 14C in the valley at the start of last week, but didn't get above 7C
snow conditions
Had a brilliant group guided day out today starting in Fieberbrunn, really enjoyed it. Lots of fresh tracks still and we didn’t skin or walk once to get them! All lift served with traversing as necessary, nice sunny day and not much waiting around.
ski holidays
half day at work in the morning then en route to saalbach ,should be skiing on sat a.m.with luck . Hoping for reasonable weather dont mind snow but see there is a bit of rain forecast later next week though that can change either way . We may well have to try a different apres experience at some point as doesnt seem if josef has returned to the hinterhag ,hope he is in good health weve had some good times there. Some pals have been recently and said twas still the same but different whatever that meant
snow conditions
@ski for fun, the Hinterhag seems to have suffered no loss of popularity, despite Josef’s regrettable decision to desert it after 40 years, in favour of entertaining visitors to the Bavarian Village at Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. My guess is that he was paid so well to do that that he was able to resist the considerable temptation to shoot straight from London to Saalbach (when Winter Wonderland closed on 6th January), in order to join Evi on stage and bring some harmony to her caterwauling.
The show is being held together, not only by Evi herself, but by Josef’s guitarist, who is doing his best to pretend that he’s Josef - even with the “Allooo...” rallying call - and with the support of Evi’s niece’s boyfriend, Marco Antonio Lozano. Happily Marco is a professional opera singer, so he can actually sing. He initially looked very uncomfortable performing apres-ski songs - like a fish out of water- but more recently seems to have relaxed into the role. The adulation he receives when performing songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and Unchained Melody (which especially suit his tenor voice) no doubt helps.
snow report
I met Evi on the stairs outside the Hinterhag a couple of years ago, so of course said "Allooo!" to her........if looks could kill, it didnt go down well at all. Puzzled
I wonder why??
snow report
gandie wrote:
I met Evi on the stairs outside the Hinterhag a couple of years ago, so of course said "Allooo!" to her........if looks could kill, it didnt go down well at all. Puzzled
I wonder why??

eccentricity !!
snow report
en route, boarded ferry to cross north sea to rotterdam overnight then drive down to somewhere beyond the innsbruck turn off morrow to find a reasonable bb hotel .so we can arrive bright eyed and bushy tailed for saturday skiing
snow conditions
i'm heading back to Hinterglemm on Saturday - flying BA into Salzburg late afternoon. Be too late to ski Saturday, but will be up early on Sunday.
This season has gone by so quickly Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Yorksboy, I’ve been here in Saalbach since 10th December, and it’s flashed by! Funny thing, time - the way sometimes it drags, and other times whizzes along.
latest report
@tatmanstours, so true.
ski holidays
Yorksboy wrote:
i'm heading back to Hinterglemm on Saturday - flying BA into Salzburg late afternoon. Be too late to ski Saturday, but will be up early on Sunday.
This season has gone by so quickly Confused

Arrived yesterday sat 2nd .and now wide awake as the church bells have been given a refresher at 7.am!!! .skied over towards leogang sat, taking advantage of the 3pm free lift pass, apart from lower down conditions are better than I expected ,had a stop in the berger alm end of happy hour,hinterhag good fun as usual even without josef and burgis was rammed before dinner so all set for a good week

edited sunday evening
lovely day not total blue skies though at one point the aeroplane trails where the only cloud but didnt last long. Started off down jausern then over to leogang bit soft in parts but no,real problem ,lunched outside in nearly 10 degrees down in the bio hotel(forstalm?) despite marketing themselves as veggie/vegan/bio, a dish of the best pork spare ribs was much enjoyed along with a couple of musicians as entertainment. Just got back to hotel for dinner after the usual fun / apres ,see what tomorrow brings.

tuesday am
full day yesterday over to hinterglem fairly busy on the zwoler side with lots of ski school parties ,must be the fasching effect as not seen so many in previous years.34a was the favorite run almost completely empty along with the runs above the wallegalm and perfect in the morning , by 3.30 my tired legs and the weather clouding in forced a retreat just in time to miss the wet snow falling at village level .Possibly venturing to fieberbrun today.

tuesday evening.
fieberbrun it was in good conditions then back to leogang and home via bergeralm ,hinterhag, and a fasching celebration dance after dinner but tireditis has set in so depending on weather which has not been at all like forecast will possibly be schatberg and turn right or left if early enough and over to 68 as its open
snow report
@ski for fun,
Quote:

lunched outside in nearly 10 degrees down in the bio hotel(forstalm?)

That's the Forsthofalm - have yet to eat there this season, but it's one I like amongst those superb Leogang mountain restaurants (along with the Kraller Alm, the Alte Schmiede, the Asitz Braeu, and the Hendl Fischerei - there's the problem, too many to choose from!)

We were also at the Bergeralm today. My cousin and 20 of his mates are in town. I've introduced them to the delights of the Hecherhuette, and they liked it so much that some of them stayed there for four hours today - sitting in the sun, lunching on prime steak, sampling the famous Hecherfeuer....Long may piste 68 remain open!
snow report
today wednesday. we ended up down 68 almost deserted, called in at the hechterhut the usual reserved empty tables with reserved cards on so couldnt be bothered to squeeze in next to others halfway through their lunch so carried on down and ended up having a good value and excellent tiroler grostl and ribs in the pub/hotel just up the hill near the bus stop in viehofen , we could see the new lift being built and run coming down from zell but have to wonder what its going to add to the area without a lift up 68 .68 is sparsely used in fact from 1.35pm to 1 .50pm i.e 15 minutes in the middle of the day only 51 skiers came down past ,the run was as good as it gets snow wise for early march.( it is oft closed due to lack of snow) On the bus back only 33 passengers a few went in a taxi the bus runs every 20 mins. The weather has been much better than the forecast, heres hoping they have got it wrong again for tomorrow
ski holidays
Evening all,

So the OH and I have gone a bit mad and booked our 2nd, last minute deal this week. We are firstly off to La Rosiere but then we are spending the last week of March in Saalbach!

We have never skied outside of France before but Saalbach has always been on our to do list. We are both mega excited as I've heard a lot of good stuff about the ski area! We are staying about 5 minute walk away from the Schattberg Express and the Bernkogelbahn lift. We are both confident intermediates and love collecting the miles.

What are the absolute "must do's" in Saalbach? Any hints on particular runs? We are catered for but we will still venture out, so can any recommend some decent watering holes/places to eat both on the hill and in town? We aren't massive apres people but do enjoy a social drink out.
In general, what are the prices like in the area for a beer/coffee/etc? Having only skied the pretty major resorts in France, I'm hoping it'll be a little bit easier on the wallet (not that it's too much of an issue, I expect to pay higher prices on holiday!).

For my sins, I hardly know anything about the area apart from the glowing reviews it has for it's actual skiing! So happy to receive all suggestions and advice.

Looking like the pistes will be freshly topped up over the next couple of weeks also. This was my only concern, that some of the runs home would be a bit threadbare in late March especially considering the 3 weeks of very warm weather we have just seen?

Cheers all
snow report
@Fridge03, PM me your email address and I’ll send you my comprehensive guide to Saalbach, including recommended bars and restaurants. You will find prices very reasonable - on a par with the UK.
ski holidays
@Fridge03, a 500ml beer is about €4.50 and a coffee or hot chocolate typically around €4, on and off the mountain. Most main courses for lunch are €10-15, puddings are €5-7. Your eyes will not water at anything on the menus, unless you find the methuselah prices for champagne in some places where the €1300 price tag should just make you shake your head at the stupidity of anyone who pays that for sub-standard French wine with a bit of CO2 added just to demonstrate their brashness. Having said that, I've never seen one bought...

Bear in mind that you are visiting in late March, so don't be disappointed if south-facing runs are a little soft by 11, and covered in slushy moguls by 3. You may get lucky and have 50cm of fresh powder, or you may not. Work out where north is, then stay out of the sun after 11. The runs into Leogang plus the Westgipfel and Zwolferkogel into Hinterglemm will be fine, and as you are confident intermediates the Zwolfernordabfahrt and the Schattberg Nordabfahrt will provide some excitement if you need it. What you won't get are French-style moguls the size of small cars - everything will be bashed flat overnight and start the next day as corrugated steel for the first 30 minutes, then it becomes perfect for a couple of hours at least.
ski holidays
thursday evening update, despite the forecast of early /mid morning rain it didnt happen until almost time for heading home so we had another good day from saalbach to hinterglem up to the seekar drag and then messed around before heading back across the valley to saalbach via the short walk across hinterglem ,by then it was a bit grotty but not unmanageable. Kit needs drying tonight , The runs are starting to show signs of wear but the snow depth and the efforts of the pisteurs are making for good skiing, if you just use a bit of nouse as to the sun and time of day. As a price guide for lunch tiroler grostl goulash soup and frites plus 2 beers was near enough 30 euro/ couple and most days that has roughly been the budget wherever weve been, all have been good quality and served by friendly helpful folks in lovely surroundings although we avoid the canteen type self service places as they for some reason seem to work out more expensive and poor quality ,there are a multitude of places to eat drink and make as merry as you like and really boils down to your own choice ,
.weve yet to visit the famed chicken place and today called for a drink on the last run home at the westernstadle which was a first and yet must have passed it loads of times,weve been this week several times over the last few years and always been lucky with both the weather and the snow although its only this last 3 yrs that run 68 has been open i.e enough snow
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@Fridge03, PM me your email address and I’ll send you my comprehensive guide to Saalbach, including recommended bars and restaurants. You will find prices very reasonable - on a par with the UK.

Thank you! I look forward to having a read through this evening.

ousekjarr wrote:
@Fridge03, a 500ml beer is about €4.50 and a coffee or hot chocolate typically around €4, on and off the mountain. Most main courses for lunch are €10-15, puddings are €5-7. Your eyes will not water at anything on the menus, unless you find the methuselah prices for champagne in some places where the €1300 price tag should just make you shake your head at the stupidity of anyone who pays that for sub-standard French wine with a bit of CO2 added just to demonstrate their brashness. Having said that, I've never seen one bought...

Bear in mind that you are visiting in late March, so don't be disappointed if south-facing runs are a little soft by 11, and covered in slushy moguls by 3. You may get lucky and have 50cm of fresh powder, or you may not. Work out where north is, then stay out of the sun after 11. The runs into Leogang plus the Westgipfel and Zwolferkogel into Hinterglemm will be fine, and as you are confident intermediates the Zwolfernordabfahrt and the Schattberg Nordabfahrt will provide some excitement if you need it. What you won't get are French-style moguls the size of small cars - everything will be bashed flat overnight and start the next day as corrugated steel for the first 30 minutes, then it becomes perfect for a couple of hours at least.

I'm 100% fine with all that. Can't blooming wait!

Thanks for the thoughts!
snow report
Hi all,

On the way back to Saalbach (staying out in vorderglemm this time) for the 4th time, arriving Saturday afternoon for 3 and half days of skiing and apres ski.

Last 3 occasions we've had sunshine and good piste conditions.

I'm a bit worried about the forecast. Sleet, snow showers and rain at resort level.

Any update on conditions and any advice on which direction to go for tree lined runs and sheltered slopes with mountain huts ???

Landers
snow report
Visiting Saalbach soon, any recommendations for live band apres ski?
Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy