Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
radar wrote:
@Hyst, was it a whiteout ?

as a super-snowhead you have the button Toofy Grin

Right Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley Laughing wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hyst, Danish humour Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@HoneyBunny, you do have a friend in Saalbach, who is posting (on Facebook) daily photos and updates of all the powder - me! Very Happy
@Jenniper, I do hope you called at the sublime Hecherhuette, half-way down - best gulasch soup and jagatee, and warmest welcome you will ever experience in the Alps!
Actually I’m surprised you got there - when I checked the resort website around early afternoon the Poltenlift was stated to be closed, as was piste 68.
I do agree, by the way, that 69 would be more fitting Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours, aww yes, you are my friend in Saalbach - but I'm not on Facebook! I will look on the work account x
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HoneyBunny, when I last looked your work account was my FB friend.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some people are asking for pics. Fair enough, but take it from me the amount of snow here in Saalbach-Hinterglemm is unbelievable, I have never seen so much in all my many years of skiing. And more, much more, is on the way this weekend and next week. If you want pics then just look at the webcams - although some of them might be completely buried in snow!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all I have two quick.

So I have missed my mates ski holiday, after refusing to go to Austria they decided to go last minute got a great deal and now all the snow. My fiancé may not be able to ski this year now so I am looking to to go on my own.

So question one: does anyone know of hostel type accommodation either Saalbach or Alberg way? Or very cheap accommodation (happy to air bnb), and is there a way to find cheaper ski hire than online, all of them are quoting £40 quid just to rent boots, and at least £80 for skis.

If not I feel it may be the UCPA route and going to France.

Just to add I have a real soft spot for Austria after experiencing some of the greatest skiing I ever had, and my first true powder day! (On some random farm with one lift).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tatmanstours,

We were having lunch in the Berger Alm when I noticed on the app that the Polten had opened, so I said to my other half that 68 would be our final run of the day. We did of course stop at the Hecherhutte and it was very lively! Just a quick gluhwein as the light was starting to fade but I’m very glad we made the effort to enjoy the run down. It was really great!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dorhar, If you can go next week (12th to 19th January) we can accommodate you - ski-in ski-out in the best possible location in powder-heaven Saalbach. Another solo skier - a fellow Snowhead is also staying with us, so could work out well. He is also a keen, high mileage skier, as I believe you are.
Probably the cheapest way of hiring equipment in Saalbach is to go to Hansi's Best-Price shop when you arrive, tell Hansi the best deal you've found elsewhere, mention my name to get the special discount that Hansi assures me is given, and see what he's prepared to do for you.

@Jenniper, Sounds like perfect timing - all being well I'll be doing it tomorrow. (I should be supporting Spacey in Otzi Bar, or seeing the new band in Bobby's, but my bevy of cohabitees - Mrs TT, her daughter, and her daughter in law - are already in bed, the lightweights!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OH and I are there next week 12-19, staying in Hinterglemm. Happy to meet up with anyone there (PM me) but probably for lunch rather than skiing as we are English holiday skiers rather than gnarly dudes! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m not there, these are from the tourist board

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 11-01-19 8:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waitrose wrote:
Some people are asking for pics. Fair enough, but take it from me the amount of snow here in Saalbach-Hinterglemm is unbelievable, I have never seen so much in all my many years of skiing. And more, much more, is on the way this weekend and next week. If you want pics then just look at the webcams - although some of them might be completely buried in snow!

I drove home through Fieberbrunn yesterday and I wanted to film about an hour of the journey - there is simply unbelieveable amounts of snow around. It reminded me of a war film from the 70s set in Norway during the winter or something, when its just a quilt of unbelieveably thick snow over everything.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tatmanstours,
If skiing 68 with what sort of frequency do the buses run in Viehhofen back to the lift for Wildenkarkogel?
Thinking of a lunch stop with a ski down to the bus without having to stand at the bus stop for 20mins, have looked on the resort website for a timetable but nothing found. Any info much appreciated.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ADESki, They run from the bottom of 68, in Viehhofen village, at 10 to, 10 past, and half past every hour. It takes a reasonable skier about 10 minutes to ski down from the Hecherhuette, so aim to leave the restaurant 10 - 20 minutes ( depending on the speed of the slowest skier - maybe even allow half an hour if you have an exceedingly slow skier with you) before the next bus is due. We’ve got it down to a fine art and generally arrive at the bus stop at about the same time as the bus.
When you get to the bottom, you will see that there is a final schuss - follow the line of the schuss as far as you can, until you arrive at a little alley way at the end. Don’t turn right towards the road until you reach that alley way.
By the way, fans of the Hecherhuette will be pleased to hear that their Welsh waiter, Lucky Luke, has now rejoined the staff, following a temporary stint at the Westernstadl.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours,
Thanks Richard, as always a possitive wealth of local knowledge.
ski holidays
Enjoy today folks. Looks like it could be an epic day
snow report
Which number ski buses will get us from Viehofen back into Saalbach? We ended up paying for the post bus the other day but probably could have waited for the ski bus. Is it number 4?
snow report
@boabski, It has been! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Jenniper, The post bus won’t normally allow skiers to board. You just get the normal ski bus from Viehhofen to the Schonleitenbahn, where it turns round and go back to Viehhofen. Most people go up the Schonleitenbahn, but, if you want to return to Saalbach or Hinterglemm by ski bus, you have to get off the bus at the Schonleitenbahn and get another bus in the direction of Saalbach. No idea what numbers they put on the front - it doesn’t matter.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@dorhar, If you can go next week (12th to 19th January) we can accommodate you - ski-in ski-out in the best possible location in powder-heaven Saalbach. Another solo skier - a fellow Snowhead is also staying with us, so could work out well. He is also a keen, high mileage skier, as I believe you are.
Probably the cheapest way of hiring equipment in Saalbach is to go to Hansi's Best-Price shop when you arrive, tell Hansi the best deal you've found elsewhere, mention my name to get the special discount that Hansi assures me is given, and see what he's prepared to do for you.

@Jenniper, Sounds like perfect timing - all being well I'll be doing it tomorrow. (I should be supporting Spacey in Otzi Bar, or seeing the new band in Bobby's, but my bevy of cohabitees - Mrs TT, her daughter, and her daughter in law - are already in bed, the lightweights!)

Hi Tatmanstours,

Thanks for the offer, the next few weeks I can't really get out of work. Also when looking at your website I couldn't see any prices, I am probably being an idiot and they are there somewhere. I'll keep you in mind when I am looking for somewhere! Hopefully this snow holds out!

I am also so glad I found this forum it has been a great resource!
ski holidays
Leaving home in a couple of hours on our way to the UK and then Saalbach.

That's 4 flights, about 40 hours total, longest leg being 17.5 hours. Not looking forward to that. But really looking forward to a proper English pint and a decent curry in Brighton, and what looks to be epic conditions in Austria Very Happy
snow report
I'm leaving at about 9am; conditions allowing should be in Hinterglemm by 1930 ready for tomorrow's blizzard Smile
I've taken the hopefully wise precaution of bringing C1-3 photochromic goggles...
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
OH and I are there next week 12-19, staying in Hinterglemm. Happy to meet up with anyone there (PM me) but probably for lunch rather than skiing as we are English holiday skiers rather than gnarly dudes! snowHead

Be careful - heavy Apres ski people around! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Hyst, Shocked Laughing
snow report
@maggi, doh! I would have driven over to meet you! But sadly the road is closed due to avalanche risk, and I'm not free on Friday. Have a great week, we'll have to catch up next time you're in these parts.
snow conditions
8611 wrote:
waitrose wrote:

I drove home through Fieberbrunn yesterday and I wanted to film about an hour of the journey - there is simply unbelieveable amounts of snow around. It reminded me of a war film from the 70s set in Norway during the winter or something, when its just a quilt of unbelieveably thick snow over everything.

I also drove home through Fieberbrunn on the same day and I just had to take some video of it as nobody would believe it if I just told them. I doubt whether we will ever see that much snow again.
ski holidays
@maggi,

We came to early to meet in Saalbach Hinterglem, and we will be to late in the Dolomites. One day ......!

Hope there is not too much snow for you! Shocked (you could bring a little along to Arabba Laughing )

However meet an other snowhead there: @tatmanstours any information you need - ask @tatmanstours ! Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 12-01-19 20:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Finally made it over to Saalbach today and the snow was fab once again.
I got the bus to Fieberbrunn first of all because the link to Saalbach was showing to be open that morning. The bus was too late to get the following bus to Leogang anyway.
But then the link to Saalbach got closed at 9.30am and it was then closed all day. Got the next bus to Leogang after passing the time having a pootle about.
Mostly skied Leogang and a little bit of Saalbach.
It all looks so pretty and wintery it really is a sight to marvel at.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back home now after fantastic week in Saalbach. Amazing snow and despite a couple of days with only three lifts open it has been incredible. Definitely coming back. Yesterday with the sun out, could could finally see what we’d been skiing all week Laughing and what a truly beautiful place it is. Went all the way up the Schattberg Xpress and then all the way back down the black 1 and then back up and down the long blue run 2n and then made our way up and over to Leogang again for the first time. What a way to end our week! Thank you all for helpful posts. And bought some great boots from Marcel, thanks for tip re where to go Madeye-Smiley, properly comfortable boots at last! Would love to come back at the end of the season. Happy skiing to all.
snow report
@Cloudberry, glad you got the boots sorted, if you do decide to comeback we have an apartment sleeps 4, tough not as central located as @tatmanstours,
ski holidays
Also just back from the Alpin Resort at Saalbach. What an incredible week! Did not see the sun until Friday and then had the most memorable day's skiing. Pretty well first down the 7k from Schattberg skiing on 2 to 3 inches of fresh snow on a beautifully groomed piste. I thought that I had died and gone to Heaven! After some great skiing around Leogang and a half chicken for lunch we finished up at the Hecherhutte which was really jumping with Lucky in great form.
The only downside was returning home just in time to catch the footy at my team Shrewsbury and witnessing a most abject performance! Anyway, hoping to make Saalbach again in February and Kitz in March. What a snow season it should be.
latest report
Also just back from the Alpin Resort at Saalbach. What an incredible week! Did not see the sun until Friday and then had the most memorable day's skiing. Pretty well first down the 7k from Schattberg skiing on 2 to 3 inches of fresh snow on a beautifully groomed piste. I thought that I had died and gone to Heaven! After some great skiing around Leogang and a half chicken for lunch we finished up at the Hecherhutte which was really jumping with Lucky in great form.
The only downside was returning home just in time to catch the footy at my team Shrewsbury and witnessing a most abject performance! Anyway, hoping to make Saalbach again in February and Kitz in March. What a snow season it should be.
latest report
@queenie pretty please, yes, quite a few roads are closed. I nearly pm'ed you but I am never sure how far away you live from various resorts. I thought it was too far for you to travel. Next time we fly to Salzburg I'll let you know as it would be great to see you again!

Hyst, one day the gods will decide that we'll actually be in the same resort at the same time! Or maybe not! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
How good is Saalbach for buying equipment? Ie I’m probably due a new helmet. Are there a number of shops with different brands or is it a bit limited and I’m better getting in Australia? Some resorts I have been to have been great for buying gear (Val D) where as Les Arc was a bit sparse.
snow report
@Ldj226, you could probably get what you need, but end up paying a lot more than you need to, captive audience and all that. I bought a new helmet this season in the Uk, £140, same one in a shop in Saalbach ( cannot remember the name) on the left as you walk up the main village street, €289
ski holidays
@maggi, under normal circumstances I'm just over an hour from Saalbach, but at the moment the travel conditions are far from normal. Have a great week, we are promised some sun this week.
snow conditions
@summerseat thanks I’ll get before I head over
snow conditions
@Ldj226, new this season in Saalbach is Hervis, there’s one in Hinterglemm too, their prices tend to be more competitive, they have an online presence, there is a variety of shops this the link to them, the range of stock is quite wide https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/sports-shops.

With helmets its all about fit , you may want to buy before you fly.
snow report
@radar, thanks I would love to try it on so I’ll check it out online
snow report
Quote:

new this season in Saalbach is Hervis

Try Hansi. He was predictably dismissive of Hervis when I mentioned them to him. He can usually be relied on to beat any other price quoted.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy