Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@VolklAttivaS5, Not much was open - even Kohlmaisbahn II closed. Had a lazy day and lounged around till Hinterhag time at 4.00pm. Spacey was a riot, as usual, at Spitzbub, and the giant 15 foot polar bear was stroke of genius.
Hoping to do some enjoyable skiing tomorrow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@VolklAttivaS5, I didn’t look, so don’t know for sure.
Snowfall all day, then about 10 mins of blue skies at around 4pm.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Yorksboy, ok thanks
Just wondering when the window of opportunity may occur to come and visit!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@VolklAttivaS5, At the moment Friday has the best Forecast- but things change quickly in the mountains Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@BertieG, intrigued as to why have you started a new Saalbach thread on snow conditions, when many included yourself have posted comments on conditions on this thread?

In fairness, I didn't even know this thread existed and it has lots of interesting and useful info on it. This forum title is resort review and trip reports. The threads in the snow reports forum invariably become places where seasonaires chat, interspersed with visitors asking questions, which this thread in effect is. Neither place is right for their respective forum but I always thought all these threads were in snow reports?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And to add my own - excellent off piste with guide today in Saalbach. Only dipped in for that purpose, will definitely come back some time to do it justice!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Cloudberry, Hagleitner has been recommended on other threads

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3307188&highlight=hagleitner#3307188

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3165886&highlight=hagleitner#3165886
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
8611 wrote:
And to add my own - excellent off piste with guide today in Saalbach.
would you recommend the offpiste? I’m supposed to be doing a week of piste skiing with parents and bro but I will have my Avi gear with me and I’m sure I can hire some pow skis
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yorksboy wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, At the moment Friday has the best Forecast- but things change quickly in the mountains Puzzled

They do indeed!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ldj226 wrote:
8611 wrote:
And to add my own - excellent off piste with guide today in Saalbach.
would you recommend the offpiste? I’m supposed to be doing a week of piste skiing with parents and bro but I will have my Avi gear with me and I’m sure I can hire some pow skis

Absolutely - its potentially all time, but dangerous so get a guide. We only got to 1600 and powder noticeably lighter there. Up higher it would be amazing and next few days should be cold snow falling.

Poster above referred to how difficult it is to ski the pistes at the moment, which I can totally relate to. In these conditions off piste is generally softer and easier to ski.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don’t get there until 19th but looks like it will be snowing on and off for the next 10 days until I arrive. Stoked for my first Austria trip
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're tempted might not be a bad idea to try and book powder skis in advance as I imagine they'll be in demand. I had 108 under foot - good on bumpy sister but not quite wide enough for the deeps! Albeit I'm not particularly good skier and we were on shallow gradient due to avalanche risk.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
8611 wrote:
If you're tempted might not be a bad idea to try and book powder skis in advance as I imagine they'll be in demand. I had 108 under foot - good on bumpy sister but not quite wide enough for the deeps
I’m going to google a few of the hire shops to see if I can find any. Im fine with All mountain as I have skied 92mm under foot in Japan and Canada in deep powder so I’m fine with anything around that or more
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blue 65 has magic powder on it today snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@NewSki, like @tatmanstours suggests, the more you get out in conditions like this the better a skier you will become. Any Tom Dick or Harry can ski nicely groomed pistes in the sunshine-it’s these conditions now which show up who can really ski!
So keep at it or even better get a lesson when it’s snowy like this then they can show you where you’re going wrong.
Well worth the effort! We’ve all been there.

The better I may become but I am not enjoying it at all. Has really put me off. I try to have a positive mindset with regards to skiing on ungroomed moguls but it's not for me
snow report
@NewSki, maybe get a private lesson, this would help with the positive mindset and improve your skills, I’m no fan of moguls but a lesson helped me cope with them, and I don’t totally freak out when I come across them
snow conditions
Its tough for sure. You need to be a good skier, fit with strong quads and ideally have the right gear. Suggest you aim for very first lift each morning and try and find untrafficked blues.
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
If you're tempted might not be a bad idea to try and book powder skis in advance as I imagine they'll be in demand. I had 108 under foot - good on bumpy sister but not quite wide enough for the deeps! Albeit I'm not particularly good skier and we were on shallow gradient due to avalanche risk.

108 under foot and not wide enough??
What?!
latest report
Ldj226 wrote:
8611 wrote:
If you're tempted might not be a bad idea to try and book powder skis in advance as I imagine they'll be in demand. I had 108 under foot - good on bumpy sister but not quite wide enough for the deeps
I’m going to google a few of the hire shops to see if I can find any. Im fine with All mountain as I have skied 92mm under foot in Japan and Canada in deep powder so I’m fine with anything around that or more

Yes I’d agree with that-anything 85-95 is plenty I reckon. Even something like 82 under foot has got plenty of float as long as it’s not too heavy a ski and the bindings aren’t really heavy. Depends on the width of the tip and tail as well though.
snow report
NewSki wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@NewSki, like @tatmanstours suggests, the more you get out in conditions like this the better a skier you will become. Any Tom Dick or Harry can ski nicely groomed pistes in the sunshine-it’s these conditions now which show up who can really ski!
So keep at it or even better get a lesson when it’s snowy like this then they can show you where you’re going wrong.
Well worth the effort! We’ve all been there.

The better I may become but I am not enjoying it at all. Has really put me off. I try to have a positive mindset with regards to skiing on ungroomed moguls but it's not for me

Don’t let it put you off
Everyone hates bumps in the early days I know I used to
It took me ages to get sorted out on them and even now I wouldn’t be very good on steep massive ones.
There was even a time on my second week I was almost in tears and wanted to pack it in.
But here I am 50 odd weeks later and loving it.
I’d recommend a Snoworks course-you will soon be sorted after that!
ski holidays
Just out of interest, snow reports are saying 1m at village and 1.1m on mountain. This seems really 'low' given the amount of snow that has fallen over the last 10 days or so. Where do they measure it?
snow report
@boabski, good question - the snow report gives a single figure for the whole of the valley, but clearly the depth will vary between north and south facing slopes, those on a 40 degree angle and those on a 5 degree angle, those which are windswept, and so on. Also bear in mind that snow compresses/settles over time - it may have been 50 cm and then got 50 cm of fresh on it today, but tomorrow it will be 70 cm in total especially if there was a freeze/thaw cycle overnight. Does the report give the snow depth on piste, or off to the side where the piste bashers haven't squashed it to ice?

Resorts also get to choose where they measure, so you can be sure that the depth measurement pole is placed in a snow trap rather than on an exposed crest. I don't know where they are in the Glemmtal, as I've never seen them - they may just probe for depth, or may have an electronic system. I've seen poles in other resorts, and they're not exactly in the middle of the piste...

For the Glemmtal, total snow depths rarely exceed 2m, but according to https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Saalbach_Hinterglemm_snow_history.html it is at 2.2m now - the resort report at https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/snow-report makes it clear that this is the depth off to the side, whereas the piste depth is 1.2m with 40 cm of new snow in the last 24 hours. This is turning out to be a truly epic start to the season - let's hope it continues, but a sudden swing in temperatures coupled with rain or a fohn could eat half of that away fairly quickly.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-01-19 14:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
doesn't really matter, you can't get up to the top...
anyway it says 2.2mtr at the top on my screen.
ski holidays
@boabski, Dunno, but right now it’s coming down heavier than I’ve yet seen this season, and there’s already an estimated 5-6 feet on our lawn (which is separated from the Kreuzkapelle nursery slope by a completely buried fence).
snow report
@Bob, Very Happy agreed. Thanks@tatmanstours,
Looks like things are due to settle down a wee bit and the sun coming out next week. Hopefully you're all enjoying the epic snow conditions
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
8611 wrote:

What?!

Yep - guide said he'd have preferred 130 odd for himself! Very deep and sub 30 degrees slopes due to avalanche risk. I would have to ski his tracks at points to stop sinking.
ski holidays
Why is no-one posting pics of all this epic powder!???
latest report
@HoneyBunny, probably because it’s not easy to upload pics on here but it’s easy to WhatsApp them to friends or put them on FB? That might be why most don’t bother?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
8611 wrote:

What?!

Yep - guide said he'd have preferred 130 odd for himself! Very deep and sub 30 degrees slopes due to avalanche risk. I would have to ski his tracks at points to stop sinking.

Oh. Mine float lovely on anything and they are only 94 under foot.
ski holidays
Well 68 was a dream this afternoon. I’m surprised they didn’t call it 69.
ski holidays
@Jenniper, Glad you’re enjoying it after the shenanigans getting there
latest report
Thank you - it has been well worth it!
snow conditions
Jenniper wrote:
Well 68 was a dream this afternoon. I’m surprised they didn’t call it 69.
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, not all of us have friends in Saalbach or are on Facebook!

Just would be nice to see what the rest of us are missing.

68 in fresh powder would be just epic.
latest report
@HoneyBunny, standby! I’ll post some on Sunday Very Happy
latest report
Like this?:

Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 9-01-19 18:19; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
@Hyst, not quite Smile
snow report
@HoneyBunny, I don’t have anyone in Saalbach on FB either so I’ve no idea what it looks like. Just saying why people may not bother uploading pics on here.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 9-01-19 18:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Great to see Saalbach getting some good snow.
snow conditions
@Hyst, was it a whiteout ?

as a super-snowhead you have the button Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy