Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Unfortunately thieving comes easily/naturally to some people.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have brought cable locks with us this time. What’s the best way to do it? There isn’t always something to lock them to, is there? Or do you just have to make an effort to find something?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jenniper, there's always something...just look around
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@VolklAttivaS5, agree- some people just can’t help themselves.

But moving on - how was your day?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jenniper, hi. As @holidayloverxx, said there is always something to wrap the cable around, the ski rack leg, a fence?

Anyway, let’s get on with our holidays- especially after the difficulties some had Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having read the posts regarding skis & poles going walking, I'm considering one of these: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M9I7ZMG/ref=asc_df_B01M9I7ZMG57881850/?tag=amz07b-21?

Skis & Poles in one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tatmanstours wrote:
@Hyst, That’s what we did, that time outside the Hinterhag Alm, but the scumbag took one that he evidently liked the look of, and then went looking for the other.

They should be punished like horse thieves in the wild west. Madeye-Smiley

PS.: Have you found out if you like you skis? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AnotherAndrew, Similar to the cable lock I bought several years ago from Hagleitners in Saalbach for around 10 euros - takes two pairs of skis and poles, in addition to whatever you're attaching to ( a fence or a bar stool). Not impreganable of course, but enough to deter most casual thieves.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

PS.: Have you found out if you like you skis?

@Hyst, The jury is still out, as I use them in different conditions, but I'm generally positive about them. The crucial question for me is whether I like them as much as the Amphibio 16 TSi's, which I've used and loved for the last two seasons. I reckon they're stiffer and faster. We'll see what they're like in soft snow and moguls. So far this season it's been firm pistes and now deep powder. They're certainly not powder skis, but I'm managing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really looks like you going to have powder days this week.

Take care snowHead (and send some snow more south soon)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Yorksboy, well I did a fair bit of skiing in Fieberbrunn today, started out about 11 so quite late as I didn’t get the bus until gone half 10.
Had my skis serviced at S4 while I was having my first Tiroler Grostl of the season.
The tree lined runs in Fieberbrunn were handy in the low visibility today. There were quite a few people skiing off piste which I found surprising considering the level of visibility and avalanche risk.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@VolklAttivaS5, I had grostl today as well
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Yorksboy, where did you have yours?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@VolklAttivaS5, Hintermaisalm
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skied down piste 68 today - wonderful - no one else on it and essentially virgin powder. As usual 10/10 for the gulasch soup and jagatee at the Hecherhuette. Pistes 66 and 52 later (about 17.30pm) from the Bergeralm had perfect snow.
On the apres front, Spacey is DJing in the Crazy Deer on Monday nights. He assesses his audience, and tonight he did Nile Rodgers proud.
ski holidays
11 days to go. We are staying near Schattberg X-press. What is run 1 like? My mum is technically good but is very timid due to age (73). She will struggle on blacks if they are icy, narrow or crowded. Her preference is always ski home if possible but I’m just working out if she is best downloading or skiing down.
latest report
@tatmanstours, we may just have to join you on Monday night to experience Spacey Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@BertieG, intrigued as to why have you started a new Saalbach thread on snow conditions, when many included yourself have posted comments on conditions on this thread?
ski holidays
Ldj226 wrote:
11 days to go. We are staying near Schattberg X-press. What is run 1 like? My mum is technically good but is very timid due to age (73). She will struggle on blacks if they are icy, narrow or crowded. Her preference is always ski home if possible but I’m just working out if she is best downloading or skiing down.

Schattberg literally means shadow mountain. My experience is that the run ends up scraped by mid afternoon and it can be unforgiving at the end of the day. The top section is easier, and you could get on the downhill gondola at the the midstation, which I've done when I've realised that I'm tired and that last run home could be one that ends badly.

Having said that, we use the Schattberg Express as an access gondola in the morning, and at the top go either right to Hinterglemm or left back towards Saalbach and Leogang. So we arrive back in Saalbach at the end of the day via the Bernkogel or Kohlmais pistes.

Edited to add... We think one of the attractions of the area is that your day tends to involve a circuit of some sort, and you journey up and down the valley as your inclination takes you.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-01-19 11:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@tatmanstours, Do you still have availability the week of 12th Jan?
snow report
Lifts are closing one by one this morning. We were on the last Kohlmaisbahn up and just got the last magic 6er up before they closed that too. Currently hiding in a very empty Berger Alm!
snow report
@martebart, yes we do! A ski-in ski-out apartment directly opposite the Kohlmaisbahn gondola station. PM your email address

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 8-01-19 12:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Condictions not good today or yesterday. Has made me very frustrated as an early intermediate skiier
snow report
@NewSki, the curse of too much snow and high winds. I had this last year in Kappl/Ischgl. Thankfully we had a couples trip to stuben in march last year so meant we still had some skiing but very frustrating if it's your only week on snow Crying or Very sad
snow report
A day to dissipate pent-up energy on apres-ski? Will be Hinterhagging from 4.00pm, and then it’s the Spacey show at the Spitzbub from 5.30-7.30pm Toofy Grin
snow report
boabski wrote:
@NewSki, the curse of too much snow and high winds. I had this last year in Kappl/Ischgl. Thankfully we had a couples trip to stuben in march last year so meant we still had some skiing but very frustrating if it's your only week on snow Crying or Very sad

Very much so. I cannot ski with moguls everywhere and poor visibility with ungroomed pistes. There is such a thing as too much snow!
ski holidays
@NewSki, I try to regard less than ideal conditions as a valuable opportunity to practise and extend my comfort zone. I find that the more you plug away the easier it gets, until you realise that, in the course of struggling, cursing and complaining, you’ve almost inadvertently become more comfortable and competent - which is of course incredibly satisfying.
latest report
@NewSki, like @tatmanstours suggests, the more you get out in conditions like this the better a skier you will become. Any Tom Dick or Harry can ski nicely groomed pistes in the sunshine-it’s these conditions now which show up who can really ski!
So keep at it or even better get a lesson when it’s snowy like this then they can show you where you’re going wrong.
Well worth the effort! We’ve all been there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
Skied down piste 68 today - wonderful - no one else on it and essentially virgin powder. As usual 10/10 for the gulasch soup and jagatee at the Hecherhuette. Pistes 66 and 52 later (about 17.30pm) from the Bergeralm had perfect snow.
On the apres front, Spacey is DJing in the Crazy Deer on Monday nights. He assesses his audience, and tonight he did Nile Rodgers proud.

Hi Tatman how easy/difficult is the ski back from Bergeralm after sunset and how long does it take intermediate skier anything to note?
latest report
Easy from what I recall ... but it depends how much advantage you've taken of Happy Hour Toofy Grin
latest report
I have horrendous problems with ski boots but for the first time have a pair of rental boots from Hansi which so far are great. Am wondering whether it’s worth seeing if I should think about about some while out here. I am aware that buying one’s own ski boots is quite a process and perhaps I’m being naive thinking that because I’ve found a brand in a rental shop that don’t hurt my feet, I should see if so can buy my own! Can anyone recommend a ski boot shop here in Saalbach or should I wait till I’m home? Last year our skiing holiday was seriously marred for me by really painful boots/feet despite changing them several times. To make things more complicated for rental, one foot and leg is a half size smaller than the other.
snow conditions
@Cloudberry, I'm sure there's some great shops in Saalbach that come highly recommended, but personally I'd buy them back home.

If it's a particular brand that you're currently wearing and are fitting for the first time, make a note of brand and model and buy them back home. Especially if you're going to have them fitted to your feet with added shaped liners, insoles, boot modification etc. Plenty of retailers offer 'Fit Guarantees' allowing you to go back after having worn them on holiday and should you notice any change they'll do their upmost to refit them, some even multiple times. Much easier to do that back home than for the one or few weeks you're in the resort where you purchased them IMO
ski holidays
@Cloudberry, could you buy the ones you've rented??
ski holidays
Other than booking.com, what's a good place to look for accommodation in Saalbach for the start of Feb? Planning a short trip of 3 nights.
ski holidays
@mrvinegar, try looking on www.saalbach.com

Need to move quick as I think everyone and his dog would like to come and sample Saalbach at the moment!
ski holidays
@flymoll, It’s an easy cruise down blue pistes 66 and 52 (or slightly steeper blue 51, or steeper still red 53). The piste bashers come up in convoy around 5.15pm. Look out for cables stretched across the piste. Some people invest in head torches, which can be helpful in December and January.
ski holidays
Was everything open today apart from the link to/from Fieberbrunn and ignoring Fieberbrunn? Was the link to Leogang open?
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, I stayed in Hinterglemm today, Westgipfel II was closed all day. Very windy on the Zwölferkogel.
ski holidays
@Yorksboy, was the lift to Leogang still closed?
ski holidays
I got the bus over to Hinterglemm this afternoon to ski the Zwölferkogel and yes, it was very, very windy! Makes sense though - north facing slopes and a northerly wind.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy