Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Snowing very heavily in Saalbach this morning.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any news from the village on the road closure? Google maps indicates it’s still closed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jenniper, still closed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ta.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
UPDATE

L111 (Glemmtaler Landesstraße) between Maishofen and Viehhofen closed all traffic - this means that Saalbach Hinterglemm cannot be reached by car until further notice. As soon as the weather allows a helicopter to take off, the avalanche will be cleared with a controlled blast. Once this happened, the road to Saalbach Hinterglemm will be opened again quickly. This means that the duration of the road closure is unknown. We will keep you updated on this website.

https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/info/arrival
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For what it’s worth some of the locals I‘ve chatted to reckon the road should be open by twelve. Although that is obviously reckon rather than know.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice one!

The visibility has dropped right away here in Bad Hofgastein so I was a bit worried about that helicopter not taking off. We are quite a long way away from you though, granted snowHead

Locals are usually right.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have gone over to Fieberbrunn today. Looked like there was more accessible there than in Kitzbuhel as most of the lifts are shut there.
Still snowing! I think this is the one of the snowiest early seasons I’ve seen actually
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just seen they’ve only just opened the main lifts in Kitzbuhel i.e. the Hahnenkamm area and it’s almost midday so that was perfect timing coming to Fieberbrunn. They must have had a lot of bombing to do. The higher lifts are closed here in Fieberbrunn of course due to the avalanche risk.

For those who are still stuck and hopefully will be in resorts by tonight instead of last night then the conditions are fantastic!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely heading to Saalbach on 19th Jan but in a major set back flight I’m on is full so I can’t take my skis...half nightmare (I love my skis + expensive to hire) and half good opportunity to try some different ones. Staying on Schischulstraße so if anyone has recommendation of hire shop would be much appreciated. I have K2 Shreditors so looking for somewhere that does decent all mountain twin tips or hammering pistes, pow and park
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all. We are arriving next weekend (first time for the group in Saalbach) and have used the advice in here already for hire shop. A couple of our party want private ski lessons - any recommendations? We are staying at the Hotel Koenig which is close to the Schattberg Xpress I beleive so lessons with a meeting point close to the hotel would be great. Thanks Rob
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kohlmaisbahn now shut. Trapped in Montana Royal watching pig spin round. Wind has picked up. Still very snowy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nozawaonsen, from what I've seen there could be worse places to be trapped! Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stay safe everyone X snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nozawaonsen, the spinning pig tasted very nice
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@nozawaonsen, the spinning pig tasted very nice
Ah. I was wondering...
ski holidays
UPDATE ROAD CLOSURE
Saalbach still cannot be reached by road. The weather does not allow helicopter flights for controlled avalanche blasting. We ask you to refrain from speculation. As soon as we receive official information from the authorities, we'll inform you.
snow conditions
My sense of humour is starting to slowly slip away Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Should be open shortly
latest report
Gute Nachrichten aus dem Pinzgau. Die Lawinensprengung war erfolgreich - danke an den Sprengmeister! - die Sperre der L 111 Glemmtaler Landesstraße wird in den nächsten 30 Minuten aufgehoben

https://twitter.com/landsalzburg/status/1081902755390939136?s=21
snow report
I knew I'd slightly over-booked the snow...
Still, I've ordered smaller and smaller amounts till next Friday, with Saturday onwards being bright sunshine, with the occasional over-night dusting to keep it topped up.
I did the same for last year when we went to Ski Amade, and the year before in Samoens!
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, good news we have guests stuck at the bottom of the valley
ski holidays
@Hurtle, if you want to see what the spinning pig looks like there’s a photo on page 13 Toofy Grin
snow report
Yey!
snow conditions
Whole of the region is getting to grips with the excess of snow, enjoy..
snow conditions
@Ldj226, @darbyrw, my recommendations are Hansi’s Best-Price (next but one to Bobby’s Pub, and mention my name for discount) for equipment, and Zink Ski and Snowboard School for lessons.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, thanks. I have already been in touch with Hansi and have advised you recommend on here. Looking forward to the schnapps that’s also been offered on collection!!
latest report
From Saalbach FB page

✅ GOOD NEWS ✅
Die Lawinensprengung war erfolgreich - danke an den Sprengmeister! Die Sperre der L111 wird gegen 15:00 Uhr aufgehoben, Saalbach Hinterglemm ist somit wieder auf dem Straßenweg erreichbar. Wer keinen Stress hat, sollte seine Zu- bzw. Abfahrt vielleicht eher auf den späten Nachmittag verlegen, um ein Verkehrschaos zu vermeiden. Wink HERZLICHEN DANK an alle Helfer!

The avalanche blasting was successful - thanks to the blasting master! The L111 lock will be lifted around 15:00, so Saalbach Hinterglemm can be reached by road again. Those who don't have any stress should perhaps postpone their arrival or departure to the late afternoon to avoid a traffic chaos. Wink A big THANK YOU to all helpers!

Hope everyone gets to their accommodation OK !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good news. It’s not nice to be in limbo
ski holidays
Currently in the valley towards saalbach, Very busy with traffic but at least it's now open.
ski holidays
Happy to be back in Saalbach-Hinterglemm. But very sad that people steal things☹️

I have rental skis from ski hire Skill in Hinterglemm, they provide very nice carbon sticks. Today whilst having lunch at the Hintermaisalm by sticks were stolen! I know they were stolen and not taken by accident because the skis were locked with a cable lock, this went round the sticks as well, but not tight enough!

If you see anyone with black carbon poles that have the Skill logo and they do not have rental skis from Skill then these are definitely stolen, please challenge them and tell them to return the sticks!

We are all on the mountain to have a good time - there is no place for bad people!!!
snow report
Larch trees in Fieberbrunn superb today.
latest report
Shanemac wrote:
Currently in the valley towards saalbach, Very busy with traffic but at least it's now open.

Glad you finally made it in. We got a taxi from Bad Hofgastein in the end. So relieved to finally be here!
ski holidays
@Yorksboy, Unbelievable! Like you I wouldn’t dream of leaving my skis outside a restaurant or bar without a lock on them (mine cost 10 euros from Hagleitners, by the way), and I always tighten the cable as much as I can. I don’t like to think of how I might react if I caught someone trying to extract my poles from within the cable.
A few years ago I saw a woman pick up my wife’s skis and start to walk off with them. I calmly took them off her and said, “I’ll take those, thank you”. She just muttered something in a foreign language - no apology or explanation. I wish I could have thought of something crisper to say.
A few years ago we had some guests - parents and three children, and the parents were both experienced police officers. An English teenager skied off from the Bergeralm on one of their son’s skis. It appeared to be deliberate, rather than a mistake. One of the parents chased after the miscreant, who again was unapologetic when caught. In fact the miscreant’s family appeared on the scene in support of her, and her brother tried to ski off with at least one of the recovered skis. He was pursued and rugby tackled to the ground and was then held in a vice-like grip until the battle was conceded. It might have ended differently if the victim’s parents hadn’t been extremely determined police officers, as well as fast skiers.
snow conditions
Weirdly, Saalbach is the only place where one of my group has had skis stolen.
latest report
@Jenniper, It happened to a friend of mine in Mayrhofen many years ago - brand new Blizzards that he’d bought from the factory shop the day before - never forgot it. The light-fingered may not be as prevalent in ski resorts but the nasty, predatory scum are still around, albeit in a tiny minority.
I bought my cable lock the day after I’d swapped a ski with another Snowhead outside the Hinterhag Alm. His brand new skis had been stolen and mine had been left (how insulting! Confused ).
I’ve also heard of professional thieves driving from Hungary and Bulgaria and loading up outside roadside bars. And of course there are also drunken idiots.
snow conditions
I’ve had skis stolen from apres bars in the past- this is why I always lock skis up. On the slopes I think it’s often a mistake. Easy to pick up the wrong pair. But in this case I believe it was deliberate. At least with missing sticks it’s possible to ski- I would have been even more unhappy if I’d ended up walking back.
I did go back to the Hintermaisalm to see if anyone had handed the poles in, didn’t expect them to have as they must have been difficult to take in the first place with the cable holding them.

Anyway, going to put this all behind me now and enjoy my time here Very Happy
ski holidays
What we always do is to exchange skis between us an put them up different places - have not done with poles yet - but better do.

But difficult if you are on your own. wink

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Crying or Very sad
snow report
I know of one mountain restaurant in France that keeps a spare pair of skis which you hand back to the pisture at the bottom of the chairlift. Like @tatmanstours, we always lock ours. I did notice on our last trip someone bringing their Leki poles in with them. There is a thread about locks https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3319365&highlight=lock#3319365
snow conditions
@Hyst, That’s what we did, that time outside the Hinterhag Alm, but the scumbag took one that he evidently liked the look of, and then went looking for the other.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy