Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@tatmanstours, I just did a search on here for Seasonnaire Insurance and noticed you had said on that old thread that you’ve done Austrian Alpine Club insurance and then after 8 weeks did it with MPI for the rest of season.
Have you done that since that thread in 2016?
I usually do mine with MPI but of course it was only an annual travel policy, this is the first time I need a seasonnaire set up and their middle option is about £225. Plus I’d need an annual travel insurance policy for ordinary holidays when I got back.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hyst, meeting up would be good. Bergeralm was good fun.

After a very slow start today (Stupidly, I’ve left my footbeds in the airing cupboard at home), I finally started to have a feel for the snow after about 11am. By the end of the afternoon, I was skiing in near darkness without any concerns as a result of the Bergeralm no doubt!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Evening all, we dropped into the Salbaach side today but only managed to have lunch by the Sunliner, whilst my brother carried on skiing. Nice to see some sun though, but conditions a little trickier today. I think we'll need an earlier start to explore properly!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@VolklAttivaS5, I found that the most cost effective way of arranging ski insurance for a season was to rely for the first eight weeks on the free cover that you get included in membership of the Austrian Alpine Club, and to get the Knox Versicherung extension (advertised on the AAC website) from day 57 of the stay until the end.
This may not satisfy everyone, but we weren’t bothered about the extra frills you get with normal travel insurance, and we have our EHIC cards to use at Zell am See hospital, which is 15 minutes down the road.
With the AAC complimentary insurance you get all year round cover throughout Europe for mountain rescue, repatriation, transportation and third party liability, and you get emergency medical cover up to £10K for the first eight weeks.
With the Knox extension (which was a lot cheaper than the MPI cover) you get emergency medical cover up to £500K.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tatmanstours, ok thanks for the info.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tatmanstours, I did the Austrian Alpine Club membership anyway so I could get the hut discounts and on top of that I found a decent well priced Seasonnaire policy with Ski Cover and their annual policy looks reasonable too for when I get home in late April (going to Aosta end of March before going back to the UK).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowing hard in Saalbach today - should be fantastic when it clears Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Certainly has been snowing hard. Went up the Kohlmais, which was running intermittently and only to the mid station at the time. Had to walk across to the Panorama chair. We then made a meal of trying to ski on piste knee deep powder - proficient we are not! Called it a day early in favour of beer. Tomorrow should be great.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, @hammerite,
Yes, it was a most interesting day. A lot of snow up there. Not powder, but perfect for on piste the next long time.

Instructor chased us up and down Hasenauee area but I lost track where I was. Deep snow - not easy for us oldies. After 2 hours the oldies packed it in and the young one went of with the instructor.

Depending on open lift tomorrow we will try the end of the valley or 68/Leogang area.

Find it a bit difficult to come easily to the other side of Saalbach from Hinterglemm on the north side?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+@Dubmuffin, and brother! Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hyst, both routes probably take an equal amount of time - either over to the Bernkogel and the short walk across to the Kohlmais or up the Westgipfel and over to the Schönleiten to get to Leogang.

We’re thinking of Christmas lunch at the chicken man. That was today’s plan but the weather put paid to that.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hyst, @hammerite, @tatmanstours, What a day huh? So much fun in the snow, not easy skiing, but so festive to wake up to snow after all that rain yesterday
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hammerite,

Yes, but have to go down to Saalbach to cross over.

The southern route we have tried twice already - might just take bus to Schönleitenbahn, if going in that direction.
Or end of valley.
Have to see what is open in the morning - wind should not be that strong anymore. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hammerite, and @Hyst, There should be quite a gathering of Brits at the Chicken Man tomorrow lunch time. We’ve got a table booked for 1pm, and we have two separate groups of friends who have also. Convening later at the Bergeralm for Christmas Day happy hour at 3.30pm. Let’s hope they bash those pistes well tonight!
@Dubmuffin, Yes, what a Christmas present!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Merry Christmas guys.

@tatmanstours, we’ve not booked a table so we might struggle to get one. We’ll see!
latest report
Chicken Man? = Hendlfischerei???? Puzzled

Do we need a visa as none Brits? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Hyst, Yes, our nickname for Mama Thresl’s Hendl Fischerei Mountain Club dates back a few years to the time before that exceptionally cool restaurant was built, and the same site was occupied by a guy with nothing more than a small shack, a rotisserie, a few deck chairs, and a reputation for selling the best roast chicken ever. The only thing that hasn’t changed is the quality of the chicken, on which the present restaurant’s popularity also rests.
snow report
@tatmanstours, Thank you very much.
Looking foward to emptiing my rucksack on you. Toofy Grin we try to make it. Confused
latest report
@Hyst, who was your Instructor? I've rented skis for the season from Skill and had ski school with them last week group.
latest report
@radar, I'm back to Hinterglemm 2nd to 9th March
snow report
@Yorksboy, lol 15th for us, next season?
snow report
@tatmanstours, popularity which meant we couldn’t get a table. Had to slum it at the Asitz Brau instead. Very Happy
ski holidays
Happy Christmas everyone! After a bit of a struggle to get over the mountain late morning, I discovered the joy of run 46 in pretty good conditions
snow report
For some reason, only half my post shows in the forum
snow report
Yorksboy wrote:
@Hyst, who was your Instructor? I've rented skis for the season from Skill and had ski school with them last week group.

He was called Jens, a Belgien, and he is only here for short time - as he uses his holidays to be a ski instructor.

In real life he works for a major European company.

One way of spending holidays. wink
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
@tatmanstours, popularity which meant we couldn’t get a table. Had to slum it at the Asitz Brau instead. Very Happy

Thats a pity - we just party crashed and had a jolly good time with the tatmantours group.
latest report
@tatmanstours, Thank you very much for today. Was good to meet up and had great fun with you two and your friends. Sorry we had to leave a bit early. Crying or Very sad

We benefited from you information a lot.
It seems @hammerite, was very close.

Tomorrow we go deep into the valley to see where all that water in the river comes from. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Just a heads up for more experienced skiers : the "Bergfex Tour" app has some really good freeride routes defined (plus other summer/winter activities which you can filter by), so there are some interesting variants available from the Hochalm / Bernkogel etc down to the TyrolS amongst others.

The app has detailed description/photographs/route & GPS tracking etc so is a great aid - obviously all safety precaution required for off-piste skiing must be followed.

e.g: The Gerstbodenalm route from the Bernkogel lift is a relatively easy option - a bit of combat skiing through the forest followed by a wonderful open alm, and a (pisted when we did it) forest track back to the T.S station
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hyst, Good to ski with you and Mrs Hyst and mini-Hyst today, and thanks for the fire-water Very Happy
@hammerite, Great to see you in the Bergeralm - turned out to be a real Snowheads convention
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, good to see you too.

@Hyst, have a good day.
snow report
Had a very lazy afternoon and got to understand how the Sonnalm got it’s name!
snow report
@tatmanstours, has the Hinterhag Alm kicked off for the season? Would be good to make a visit before we go home.
snow report
What a great day for skiing, nice to actually see the slopes! Hoping to try Leogang tomorrow if we can get sorted early enough to catch the bus!
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, I found that the most cost effective way of arranging ski insurance for a season was to rely for the first eight weeks on the free cover that you get included in membership of the Austrian Alpine Club, and to get the Knox Versicherung extension (advertised on the AAC website) from day 57 of the stay until the end.
This may not satisfy everyone, but we weren’t bothered about the extra frills you get with normal travel insurance, and we have our EHIC cards to use at Zell am See hospital, which is 15 minutes down the road.
With the AAC complimentary insurance you get all year round cover throughout Europe for mountain rescue, repatriation, transportation and third party liability, and you get emergency medical cover up to £10K for the first eight weeks.
With the Knox extension (which was a lot cheaper than the MPI cover) you get emergency medical cover up to £500K.

EHIC cards may only be until March29th. Brexit likely to put up insurance cost whatever the outcome
ski holidays
@buchanan101, yeah that’s another reason why I sorted a full seasonnaire’s policy until I get back home. Not worth the grief wondering about the EHIC arrangements.
It was quite well priced anyway and it’s peace of mind for me especially as I’m going on my own.
snow report
Going out early feb to work part time in Zell am See (and do a season). However I was thinking it would be better to live in Saalbach as people have recommend the area. Could anyone recommend me any near by villages that would be suitable to live in ?
snow conditions
@lilnads97, Viehhofen
snow conditions
@hammerite, yes, we went to the Hinterhag this evening, and , although Josef Solar hasn’t yet arrived, they whipped up a great atmosphere in there (as my son once described it, “a rave for old people”.)
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, great thanks. Will probably try to get there tomorrow.
ski holidays
@hammerite, great spot winter or summer, when the snows right we end our day there and head home on 34a, having reached the Sonnalm on 36a
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy