Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tatmanstours, Cool I bet it’s sliding down as well as the skiing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skied with friends yesterday from Leogang over as far as the Schönleiten gondola. Good snow though I found the pistes bumpy at times. Enjoyed the Schönleiten piste. Still quiet, though at times more people (including school groups) around than I expected. Mostly overcast, a little light snow at times, but with occasional glimpses of the sun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of snow and great skiing conditions - firm pistes with a coating of powder, and very cold temperatures keeping it so. Fairly quiet, although more people around than I expected at this stage in December. Rave on Snow is currently on, so the streets this evening were packed with youngsters enjoying their idea of music.
The Crazy Deer bar (formerly Mangos) is, as I suspected, proving a potent rival to Bobby's. Wolfy and Canadian Steve, who will be well-known to many Saalbach regulars as the former bar managers in Bobby's, are now running the Crazy Deer, which has attracted a fair few people, not least because of the good music. It's enlarged its bar area and installed a dance area with DJ podium and a shots bar with some kind of wall-mounted roulette wheel that enables you to win shots. Wolfy and Steve certainly know how to run a successful bar, so I think we can expect great things, including some interesting live acts.
Bobby's is now being run by Bobby's son, Mario, and his Hungarian fiancee, Annamarie, and Tina, an Australian girl who was the Saalbach Inghams rep last season.
The Swedish-run Underbar is as popular and crazy as ever (as we discovered last night - can't remember much about the last hour or the walk home).
Even though it's so early-season and Spacey hasn't yet arrived, there's been quite a party atmosphere at the Spitzbub. It's shaping up to be one hell of a season! Very Happy Very Happy
On a personal note, I seem to have had the good fortune to collar a pair of Elan Amphibio Prototype skis to test for this season. They're not due to be produced for sale until next season, so I feel somewhat privileged. (Mrs TT also approves of them as they're a nice, neon, fluorescent green colour.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tatmanstours, are you determined to fit everything in in just the first week? Very Happy

I'll keep an eye out for you on your Elan's Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Yorksboy, @tatmanstours, should we try for snowHeads meet up?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, I'm on my way. See you in Saalbach!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@radar, Good idea. What we need is a forum where we can all communicate and tell each other which bar we’re heading for...oh, wait..
The nearest we have to a place where we all generally congregate at the end of the skiing day is the Bergeralm (between 3.30-4.30pm). In my case recognisable by the Snowheads sticker on the front of the helmet, the “Ski Like A T.W.A.T.” tee-shirt, and the silly grin.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, sounds a great few days start. Do you know when Spacey is out?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 16-12-18 20:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hammerite, I think he usually turns up after Christmas. I can ask him as he’s a friend on Facebook.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Yorksboy, @NickYoung, are up for a meeting up? Are you OK with @tatmanstours, suggestion?

@Yorksboy, how was the bus?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tatmanstours wrote:
I’m looking at it now- it’s like February! Still lightly snowing - will be idyllic when it clears, probably tomorrow.

Long may it continue as I'm there early January
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today's conditions

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Along with the new, and very nice Kohlmaisban there is a new restaurant at the topThe Montana Royal Alpin Club, very swish, great views across the valley, only opened on the 15th, we dropped in for a coffee and went back for lunch

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
that looks amazing
ski holidays
as @tatmanstours, has stated conditions are excellent and not very busy I would highly recommend not coming before Christmas, just to be sure it stays that way Toofy Grin

snow report
@radar, looks very nice!
snow report
Wow wow wow just counting the days
snow report
@radar, may be you have not used up the pistes - but might be different with the weather. Sad

Good to se you have a great time. snowHead
snow conditions
@radar, arrived Saturday at 7pm by Postbus from Salzburg. The Postbus was perfect- absolutely on time- unlike the start to my day! I planned to catch the 3:54 Transpennine express from Huddersfield t9 the airport. My girlfriend dropped me off at 2:45 and headed off home to bed. But the train was cancelled!! So she turned around and collected me and drove me to Manchester Very Happy

I,m staying in Hinterglemm at the pension belonging tomy ski instructor, Reini Woisi. Reini has just started his own ski school in Hinterglemm, Tune my skill. I,ve skied with him today in a small group and will for the next couple of days- happy to arrange a meet-up later in the week. Happy hour at the bergeralm is always good- I have a headlight for night skiing snowHead
snow conditions
And it’s been a great day on the mountains Very Happy
ski holidays
Not long now til our 12th January, first time in Hinterglemm trip. Another question hoping some lovely person can help with - we are staying up the Pfefferweg, so I'm trying to find a good place with heated ski lockers to save hauling skis and boots up each day - can anyone recommend somewhere and is it a good idea to prebook them please? Many thanks snowHead snowHead Cool
snow report
@skiluvva, no idea (but, in case anyone ‘s interested, we have an empty apartment in the best possible location available for that week)
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
(but, in case anyone ‘s interested, we have an empty apartment in the best possible location available for that week)

Shame! I've already paid for one for 6 of us... Though we're about 50m from the Reiterkogelbahn - next time may try Saalbach rather than Hinterglemm.
snow report
This mid range forecast can get lost, rain forecast for Sat-Mon down to village level. Hopefully, it stays cold and falls as snow.

Anyone going to the slalom race n Wednesday?
ski holidays
@hammerite,
Sad I hate rain when skiing. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, now you tell us lol. Booked months ago sadly Sad
snow report
Your Saalbach roving reporter is currently having lunch at the Chicken Man (Hendl Fischerei), and I have to say that the conditions today are fabulous - as good as it gets on piste. Sunshine, powder and few people. I’m actually wondering whether I will look back at the end of the season and decide that mid-December was the best time to be here. However plenty of time to go
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This season we're travelling with our 2 year old and staying in Saalbach and I wondered if anyone knows if it's possible to rent all-terrain buggies in Saalbach or Hinterglemm?
ski holidays
i"m thinking of going to saalbach, hnterglemm or fieberbrunn in march, i will be going on my own so it all depends where i can get a single room. saalbach and kitzbhuel have always been on my go to list, but because everybody still smokes in austria even in restaurants, it has always been a place to avoid, my last austrian holiday in soll 15 years ago was a nightmare due to other people smoking, the smell of tobacco actually makes me physically sick, i remember in one restaurant they said they had segregation but the the non smoking table was next to a smoking table, the manager said as long as they had a table marked non smoking he was complying with the rules. and when the check out lady at a mountain restaurant blew smoke over my meal i threw it away without paying, i really hope things have changed, i"m prepared to give it one more chance, or its back to france or italy for me.
snow report
@blondends, if the weather is snowy and the pavements are covered in ice and/or snow, rent a sledge with a back rest instead, then pad it out with a cushion or pillow and you'll find it much easier than any buggy, and the kid will be much keener to sit in it. If you need to cross the road, drag it - it's surprisingly easy.

If you do go for a buggy, get the largest wheels you can on all corners. When you get stuck in softer and deeper snow, drag it rather than try pushing it.
snow conditions
@compostcorner, Send me a message - we have a spare room.
March should give you plenty of options to avoid smoky bars and restaurants. Some of the mountain restaurants are catching on. The Bergeralm for example is no completely no smoking and is consequently a delightful place to end the skiing day. The forward-thinking owner, Gunter, has no regrets about implementing the no smoking policy last season and the restaurant has suffered no reduction in its popularity - probably the reverse.
I am told (by radar, who is sitting beside me in the Bergeralm) that the brand new Montana Royal Alpin Club restaurant at the top of the new Kohlmaisbahn is also no smoking. Also some of the village restaurants, such as Del Rossi and Seppi’s.

I wish that some of the bar owners down in the village would see the light. (Bobby’s, Crazy Deer, Underbar, Otzi Bar all can get very smoky).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 18-12-18 16:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@compostcorner, it has improved considerably, but there will still be some areas to avoid. Unfortunately for March, outside on the terrace will be one of them as there are no rules to restrict smoking outside. Inside, there will either be dedicated no smoking rooms, or the whole place will almost certainly be no smoking if it is a single room.
latest report
@compostcorner, to add to @tatmanstours, comments, the Eva Alm is also non smoking inside.
ski holidays
thanks for the comments, i cant book anything up yet until i recover from a foot injury.
ski holidays
View towards Leogang

snow conditions

ski holidays
@radar, nice.
snow conditions
The Spitzbub’s inside bar is now no smoking, which will make it a hell of a lot more pleasant. It will be interesting to see whether those establishments that have banned smoking become more popular, so increasing pressure on the others to follow suit.
snow report
Smoking inside during lunch hasn’t been a problem I’ve encountered in Austria for a while @compostcorner, so you should be safe on that count. As @tatmanstours, apres and evening is a different case, but it seems things are moving in the right direction.

@tatmanstours, @radar, any news on the ground for the weather conditions next week? And are you off to watch the slalom today?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy