Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@tatmanstours, @hammerite, Yes, you are right of course - just getting a bit wound up for the season. wink

Fist time for us to go to Glemmtal.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hyst, I have a simple method of forecasting the weather - I keep searching and reading the forecasts until I find one I like Very Happy

Seriously - please don't worry - there has always been sufficient snow to ski on in Saalbach Hinterglemm for the 13 years that I've been skiing there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I strongly suspect that by tomorrow afternoon the web cams will show a very different picture. I know it’s been snowing at village level today, but that was just a foretaste of what is to come tonight and tomorrow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m hoping there’s enough so that I get to ski the fabled piste 68.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hyst, your kind of forecast

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
radar wrote:
@Hyst, your kind of forecast

Does fit Meteoblue (I don't forcast - just like meteoblue's grafic) - just thought it would be there yestereday already. Madeye-Smiley

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/14-days/saalbach_austria_2766924
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

@Hyst,
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@radar, Niiiice! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yay
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Starting to look like a ski resort. Not there till mid-jan so never really worried.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Loved getting in from work and seeing the webcams tonight. The ones on Bergfex are great as you can check out the hour by hour history going from nothing to light dusting and then complete coverage.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hammerite, another good webcam here - view from the Große Asitz (when it's not snowed in Toofy Grin ... this one was yesterday at 13:50 when there was actually some viz )
https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/asitz/2018/12/09/1350 - you can look back at history in 10min intervals, and there are options to play shots as a 10min timelapse too

Overall map of all locations here ... https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/map/ showing camera positions & fields of view

Another great one in the area is the Zell cam... https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/zellamsee/2018/12/10/2010

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@geoffers, stunning quality. Love that. The temp data is interesting too. Thanks for posting.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Posting this in here as there is often some discussion regarding Zell Am See. Does anyone know what the structure in this video is. https://www.instagram.com/p/BrMry3SnE5F/
Looks like a bridge over the road. Can only think it is a new route from the bottom of red 20 where in previous years you would often have to stop at the bottom or risk ruining your bases by going across the road. Although seems somewhat excessive and certainly costly just for a safety reason. Definitely wasn't there when I went in December and January. Anyone know what it is?
ski holidays
Just found on the 2018/2019 piste map it states a new Skibrücke which isn't too hard to translate (Ski bridge) Will be there next week so quite interested to see/ski it. Certainly makes it more fluid coming from Sonnenalm side. Also includes a new parking garage.

https://www.herzogbau.at/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/a5c56f6824427cb9.jpg

Bit of an eye-sore if you ask me.
latest report
I arrived in Saalbach at 9.00pm this evening, after a long and unnecessarily tortuous journey (long story, but essentially I had stupidly and absent-mindedly booked Ryanair Salzburg flights using Mrs TT's married name, rather than her maiden name, which is the one she uses in her passport. Didn't realise until we got to the boarding gate! Had to waste the Ryanair flights and immediately rebook Easyjet flights to Munich later in the day).

However the heaviness of my heart and the lightness of my wallet were more than compensated for by the amount of snow that greeted us in Saalbach. I had an inkling of what to expect as we travelled through a snowy landscape, which was increasingly reminiscent of my imaginings of Siberia (remember Dr Zhivago?) on our train journey from Munich. The landscape of Bavaria, as we landed, seemed surprisingly green, but that soon changed, and it was gratifyingly snowy in all the low-lying ski resorts that we passed through on the way to Zell am See - Kitzbuehel and all the rest.

Surprisngly there were none of the expected taxis waiting outside Zell am See railway station when we arrived there at about 8.15pm. When we eventually gave up waiting and phoned for one, we were told that it was "because of the weather". The friendly, female taxi driver who responded to our call seemed a little taken aback when I said we were going to Saalbach. I was initially puzzled by her reaction to a fairly routine request, but soon realised that the snow was coming down thick and fast on the Glemmtaler Landesstrasse (the road that winds its way up the Glemm valley through Viehhofen, Saalbach and then Hinterglemm). No doubt the snow ploughs will be out in force tomorow, but for the time being we were glad of the winter tyres, as our taxi followed the tracks left by other vehicles and we could hear the snow piled up in the centre of the road scraping the underside of our vehicle.

Saalbach looked as pristine in her new blanket of snow as any bride in her wedding gown Madeye-Smiley

Which all bodes well for a fantastic couple of weeks of skiing before Christmas on beautiful fresh snow and quiet pistes Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, oh dear! Looks like 68 might be on Very Happy
snow report
Yay
snow report
+Yay Madeye-Smiley

No white dots anymore! snowHead
ski holidays
I’m looking at it now- it’s like February! Still lightly snowing - will be idyllic when it clears, probably tomorrow.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, have they sorted the roads out yet? Coming in by Postbus on Saturday evening, I'm sure everything will be running like clockwork by then!
ski holidays
From Saalbach Tourist board, From Thursday, all main lifts and links between Saalbach, Hinterglemm and Leogang will be opened. From Friday, the skicircus is spinning with all and connections opened!
ski holidays
The Underbar crew have been skiing thigh-deep, off-piste powder today - video posted to Facebook.
Yorksboy, no need to worry about the roads - they’re always very efficient at getting them cleared and passable after snowfall.
snow report
I'm desperate to get there for Xmas but can't find accommodation. Any ideas? We are looking for half board, 2 adults, 2 kids, pref with a spa or pool.
ski holidays
@KennyEverett, at the risk of stating the obvious, the tourist office should be able to help. They will happily send out a requirements bulletin to their members if you contact them direct by email and give them your dates. They've done it for me before and they are very helpful. You then get direct responses from the hotels who have availability.
latest report
try 22 -29

https://www.saalbach.com/saalbach-booking/MasterReq?AR=1&FL=100&LG=1&RA=2&AM=1&MB=0

there are a number of hits.
snow report
@tatmanstours, boo on the long journey and added cost. Yay for the amount of snow. snowHead

Have a great couple of weeks before it starts getting busy!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hyst, thanks for the link but even apartments are coming up at just under the package hol price in other locations so it looks like we will be going elsewhere.
snow report
Just thought I'd drop in here and share the excitement snowHead We went to Zell am See for the 2015/2016 New Year and skied (badly, as we were beginners then) on strips of man made snow. This year we will be in Fieberbruun for Xmas week and I can't wait! So excited to see the amount of snow that has fallen, and that our return to Austria after three years will be a more seasonal experience Very Happy
latest report
@tatmanstours, I have a feeling that a,though your wallet is lighter, the amount of snow compensates greatly. More to come I believe too Smile snowHead
snow conditions
KennyEverett wrote:
@Hyst, thanks for the link but even apartments are coming up at just under the package hol price in other locations so it looks like we will be going elsewhere.

Have you looked on Booking.com and other similar sites?
snow report
@KennyEverett, For peak weeks, such as Christmas, New Year and half term, it's not unusual for people to book well-located accommodation a year or even two years ahead. Regarding prices, property prices in this area apparently rival Vienna as the most expensive in Austria, which may have a bearing. It is also officially the fourth (out of thousands) most visited ski resort in the world, so perhaps not surprising if demand sometimes exceeds supply. Having said that, it's undoubtedly worth searching - I once found a ski-in ski-out apartment for half term only two or three weeks beforehand. The owner had only just decided to let it. At risk of stating the obvious, it's also easy to find attractive hotel deals before the snow arrives. Back in early to mid-December 2006 I got a package deal for Christmas with the Hotel Panther, reduced from nearly £1,000 to £250. It's a long time ago, but my recollection is that, thanks to the snow cannons and some timely snowfall we were not disappointed. I could send a round robin to other apartment owners, if you like, but I note that you're looking for ideally a four star hotel.
ski holidays
Snow looks amazing on the photos on FB this morning.
2 more weeks of work and then 4 whole months of skiing bliss!
snow report
@tatmanstours, thank you but yes we are looking for a hotel. I've checked all the sites I can find it seems that availability is low so they can afford to keep the prices high. Looks like we may have found a good deal in Mayrhofen now.
snow report
@tatmanstours, we’re staying in the Panther.
snow report
Went up Schattberg this afternoon and came down piste 2b, which was in a nice firm, powdery condition, with very few people on it. The whole area is opening tomorrow, including the brand new, EUR 30 million Kohlmaisbahn gondola, which is still having the finishing touches added to it. (Without any wish to sound churlish or ungrateful, the new lift station is more than a little "in your face" as we emerge from the front door of our apartment building - a distinct, very big, brash and modern departure from the old lift station, which was traditional in design with lots of wood and eaves and balconies. Fortunately our windows face the other way, so we don't have to look at it.)
snow report
@hammerite, At the moment? If so, we'll be in Bobby's later, and after that maybe the Crazy Deer, if you fancy a beer.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, unfortunately no, not right now. Arrive on 22nd.
latest report
@hammerite, Okay, I'll have a Stiegl for you - prost!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy