Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@chomski, No, but with the cable hanging off - it will be a while.

@hodgkins, No, it was cancelled before Christmas unfortunately.

A glorious morning, sunny and warm followed by a rapid deterioration and a sudden drop in temperatures! It started snowing just after 4 and it is now snowing moderately. The pistes today were in very good condition, a bit soft after they had been in the sun for a while, but with the drop in temperatures over the next days they should keep in good shape for longer.

The snow will continue for a few hours before easing off and stopping around midnight. There may well be another shower or tow through the early hours, 5-7cm would seem a reasonable bet. Tomorrow will be mainly cloudy but the odd sunny period will appear. It will really depend if the showers gang up or not, there should be another dusting in the afternoon. Wrap up though it will be a good 8 or 9 degrees cooler than this morning. After a cold night for Mid March Tuesday will be sunny with the odd fluffy cloud in the afternoon. Another very cold night will bring forth sunshine all day for Wednesday and it will be a degree or two warmer. Thursday - spring returns - sun all day and pleasant temperatures.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grande Motte cable car: each morning on Radio Val d'Isere they have a slot where the Tignes head pisteur gives an update. Two days ago he said "end of the month" for fixing GM cable car.

None of the pistes at that level and above are prep'ed (inc Rosalin) and with current visitor numbers I can't imagine STGM feel under any great pressure.

Leisse chair was running tho'.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arriving 6th April to ski 7th-12th. Fingers crossed for cool-ish weather between now and then. What's the medium term forecast looking like in resort? I know it's a compromise coming at that time of the year, but that was the only slot we could manage. Maybe they'll have the GM cable fixed by then....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@larkim, Warm days and cool nights from Thursday as far as I can see, but I normally only forecast for 4 days because of the vagaries of mountain weather. But we will certainly have a lot more snow than Meribel Centre!

We had about 5cm of snow in the village last night and around midnight the wind was absolutely howling. There was not really enough fresh to create decent off piste - there were some pretty lines but a lot of bouncing off the frozen rubbish below. The pistes were much better, but still variable as they were soft yesterday and then froze and then it snowed so it really depended when they were bashed in that cycle. hopefully tomorrow they will be smooth corduroy. there was plenty of light this morning but there was a sharp wind, especially Le Fornet way, bit like early Feb up there. Luckily there was room inside at the Rosee Blanche when we got back there! The clouds bubbled up over lunch and we have had some heavy showers of snow, they are not showing up on the radar so not sure how long they are going to last, they seem quite local looking around the webcams and we appear to have been lucky.

The skies will clear and it will be a very cold night, tomorrow will be sunny (maybe the odd cloud in the morning). It will be parky in the morning, similar to today, but the winds should ease. The next 3 days all look sunny all day after cold nights and the temperatures will rise by 2 or 3 degrees a day as the winds slowly work round from the north to the south east. By Thursday, it will be beers on the terrace weather by lunchtime! So we can expect softening pistes through the day, getting slushy low down if the slopes are in the afternoon sun, followed by rock hard pistes early doors softening relatively quickly. The elusive spring snow may be just around the corner.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Guys. Was after some local knowledge. I flying in 23rd. By the look of things it will be freeze thaw conditions. Im staying in La Lac. Was wondering if you's could suggest a plan on which slopes to hi first and which to end the day. I've got OP day with SCOGB thursday so not sure how thats going to go. Cheers for any answers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
im out in Tignes on the 6th for 2 weeks, apartment in lu lac, ive read somewhere about free parking cant remeber which thread or forum. where abouts is the free parking?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dutch Carl, On or off piste?? Piste wise start with Grattalu as its in the sun early doors, finish with the Grande Motte pistes (Double M etc). SCGB days have gone very well in general - both instructors from New Gen are very good. As with any 'ski lesson' some people have arrived in the wrong group having over estimated their ability.

@Mother hucker, Its down the valley in Tignes 1800 (Boisses) or Les Brevieres. All here in the official site:
https://en.tignes.net/holidays/getting-around/car-parks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Re free parking Mother hucker: Boisses freebie is much reduced this season - maybe 20-25 spaces - so you'll need to be lucky.

No such probs at Les Brevieres - hundreds of spaces.

Regardless, both spots are ski-in to collect your car. After parking it's ski out, ski lift out or free bus at Les Boisses. As it's ski lift out only from Brevieres, you need to time the car drop off to coincide with lift operations - e.g. if arriving late, pay €15 or 16 for one overnight in a main car park, before moving it next day and still saving €50 or 60.

Note that there is 2 hours free parking in the main pay car parks in Tignes - ideal for dropping off/collecting luggage on arrival/departure day before moving the car to the freebie parking.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glorious but quite cold.... Blue skies and sunshine all day, but chilly on the face at high speed (certainly on the schuss at the bottom of Santons!). We had a morning on the piste around the Solaise where above the 'tete' the pistes are great, there was even a few inches of soft stuff off the sides, in places. Just beware the lower part of Plan M - bit like a skating rink and the narrow track to the last pitch of Rhone Alpes - there be dragons (well ice - but dragons sounds better).

It was then a charge to Tignes to claim our prize from the charity quiz night a few weeks ago at Tignes Cuisine, yummy noodles and massive burritos. Needed a small siesta!

The weather - dead easy - at least 4 days of cold nights (especially tonight) followed by days of endless sunshine, the midday temps will be 4 degs warmer tomorrow and then another 4 warmer on Thursday and it then stops like that - spring is here. the Marmottes will soon be stirring (well about a fortnight or so up here).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers Chocks. Won't do any off piste without a guide. Would think all the stuff by the side would be skied out by time I get there. Might see u on F & C night. Be good to put a face to the name. Mind u I'm quite partial to a G & T down at the pig bar before dinner.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dutch Carl, There's also the Ski Club of Great Britain meet up, Mon 6pm Cave du Loop (under the Loop).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
will u be there
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dutch Carl, Yip, I'll be the one with the clipboard (sorting out a team meal for the following week) Very Happy . Hopefully the ILG guy will be there as well.

Blue skies and sunshine after a fairly cold night! The pistes that we crossed we in great condition but as it was an off piste day with New Gen we were bound for the north facing slopes where there was hopefully some nice snow. And there was (amongst some varied stuff - lets not go mad). We started with a transceiver training session, followed by a Chardo, a pair of Balmes (Grande and Petite), the tongue of the glacier, not really worth the traverse to be honest, there are a few rocks sticking out of the ice now and a Lavachet wall (north side out of the sun) before finishing.

Tonight will not be as cold as last night, so the softening of the snow will happen a bit more quickly, especially as the air will be 3 or 4 degrees warmer. But there will be unbroken sunshine, as there will be for the next 3 days. There will be another jump of 4 or 5 degrees to Fridays peak temperature when it stabilises. there may be some clouds by Monday!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway,
Im no snow science genius, when do you think the freeze thaw will start to kick in and corn season begins
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Tignes week before Easter. Will the off piste be worth hiring a guide for?
ski holidays
brovert wrote:
In Tignes week before Easter. Will the off piste be worth hiring a guide for?

Yes!

http://youtube.com/v/MgBAWyHpyxs
snow report
hodgkins wrote:
Random question: is Tignes hosting the half pipe event again this year? They don’t seem to be preparing it at all.

“expensive and intensive to maintain the pipe” - “income attracted into resort” = resources re-allocated
snow report
Cool. I'll be the short chubby Dutch guy
snow report
@Joy Zipper, looks like a plan
snow report
brovert wrote:
@Joy Zipper, looks like a plan

I did a week off piste with ESF in Tignes and it was very good value - around 200 euro for 5/6 mornings I think. This included transciever/probe/shovel if you needed. They also took us down some pretty steep/tight runs if that's what you're looking for.
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, A week to 10 days, I reckon if the sun stays out. Its getting there but I think the sun needs to get a bit higher as we are still having nights well below zero.

@brovert, Depends what you mean by off piste, we do get powder at that time of year if it snows but it has consolidated well before lunch, if you are looking for corn and chalk, then yes.

A team of snowHead snowHead went out for a piste cruise to celebrates Mrs W's 21st birthday wink . So with Mrs W and their Royal Highnesses George and Lady George VII we had a charge round Tignes. the pistes are in very good condition, a little soft later on, but not yet slushy. After lunch I popped down to Bourg where it was 17 degs and the Crocuses were out. On the way back I met our local brewer (@timlongs) so I now have a slab of Sapaudia's Cosmique and Signal to take back to GOC - result!

A thin layer of high cloud has just formed, this should disappear by dawn leaving tomorrow looking and feeling just like today. Same for Saturday. And Sunday, although there may be a few clouds adding a little variation to the pure azure. Monday will be back to a sunny day, but it is likely that the air will be 5 degrees or so cooler then the balmy weekend; however this may change as we are right on the dividing line between warm air and a somewhat cooler regime.
snow report
Scorchio, blue skies and very warm and no cooling breeze today. As I was out with J from New Gen it was quite strenuous, so pretty much the dance of the seven veils as more and more layers came off. We started off to warm the legs up with the Vallée Perdue, might have been a bit easier on kids skis, its a bit narrow in parts with some evil compressions, so really the whole body got a warm up! After that it was Creux down onto Face, nice chalky snow. Face itself was just about perfection, pisted, just soft on the top - not often I say that! We then popped into Cugnai and started on the south Face, nearly but not quite the elusive spring snow - so we swapped to the North, again chalky but a bit mogulled. After lunch in the lost village of Manchet, and after a tip from anther instructor (always handy when your instructor knows everyone in resort) we did a variant of Vallonet but accessed from Grand Vallon, neither J or I had ever dome it before and there was a great natural half pipe, with loose chalky snow, a really nice surprise. One for the memory banks. We then skied back to Tignes via a strangely deserted Trolles, so just to prove who's Boss, J did it faster backwards then I have ever done it forwards. Shocked Shocked

The weather, tomorrow and Sunday will be exactly like today, except a degree or two warmer! A bit of a change for Monday, the morning will be sunny but it will be 5-6 degs cooler, a sharp wind will pick up in the afternoon and some clouds will appear to leave sunny spells. There is a debate on Tuesday from sunny all day t light snow showers and sunny periods, it will be windy in the morning, standby on the detail. From then high pressure dominates but it will remain cool until Friday when the temps pick up again.

For those travelling, the roads will be busyish at peak times with 27000 cars leaving and 26000 coming up the stairway to heaven. Leave after an early breakfast or after a long lunch! For the fliers, then no snags in the UK, a bit bumpy in Scotland maybe. Over here, all good at Geneva, there is a slim chance of mist early doors around Lyon, Grenoble and Chambery. Given the forecast if it forms it will only cause bother at Chambery, like last week a few holds will probably see it off.
snow report
@chocksaway, You should sub-title this thread 'Reasons to do seasons in Tignes'. snowHead
latest report

Still broken
Still broken.
snow conditions
@Kenzie, Very Happy Very Happy

@bar shaker, Not seeing the pic (unless it was very cloudy!!). I assume its the Cable Car. One of the cabins was in the middle today with a man on top with a big hammer. All the wires seem to be in place so hopefully......

Another glorious spring day, warm, no breeze and unbroken sunshine. just a morning whizz round the pistes down to La Daille for coffee, most of the pistes are still excellent but I suspect that Triffolet only has days left, it was looking a bit patchy.

Tomorrow will be exactly as today but a couple of degrees cooler, in the sun you won't notice. Monday will be nother 4 degrees cooler, definitely a layer more. There will be a few clouds in the morning which will thicken in the afternoon so it will become mainly overcast, they may be thick enough for the lightest of dustings. There will be a sharp wind in the afternoon into the evening, half an eye on the links maybe. We then have 3 days of unbroken sunshine and light winds with chilly nights, the air will be about 5 or 6 degrees colder than today so you will need to find a spot in the sun for lunch, the temperatures will pick up again by the end of the week. Spring conditions on piste, bullet proof in the morning softening as the sun wanders around the compass.

Nothing in the UK to affect flying weather wise in the UK tomorrow. There is a slim chance of early mist patches at Chambery, if they do form they should have gone before first landing time.
snow report
Yet another cloudless day, very warm and little or no breeze. After a trip to the lift pass office and hire shop for the mates we did a tour of the pistes starting on the sunny slopes and following them round. The pistes are in good shape initially but do bump up through the day. The best and shortest run was on the piste down to the Bec Rouge, it was silky smooth, just like warm apple pie. Spring snow is on its way. During coffee at Rosée Blanche we were treated to the Bearded Vulture doing some soaring above the La Daille gorge. There's also lots of swifts around.

Tomorrow will start sunny but clouds will develop, as we are right on the western edge of a decaying cold front it is difficult to say how much and when, but pretty overcast by the end of the afternoon and maybe, just maybe the lightest of snow showers around the time you sit down for your tartiflette. The wind will also pick up in the afternoon, half an eye on the links I think. It will also we around 5 degs cooler, so with the shade and the wind definitely an extra layer. Tuesday will be sunny and another 3 or 4 degrees cooler, with the breeze in the morning it will be approaching parky out of the sun! Wednesday sunny and warmer with maybe the odd fluffy cloud. Thursday will be very similar.
snow report
Heading to Boisses for a week beginning 30th March. Can't wait!! All pretty green, but me and two teenage lads had a week in Bansko last year, the boys went to Austria with school. 12 year old daughter (apparently a natural) and my wife (apparently not so natural!) have had a couple of lessons here in UK.

Any recommendations on good hire shops. Seen some good reports for Tignes Spirit.

Any thoughts on good, reasonably priced places to eat?

And what about the best places to head with easy greens for my wife and some other stuff to keep the rest of us happy nearby.

Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
@chocksaway, yep it was the cable car. They've had a pretty unlucky season with it this year.

Just back in the UK now from 10 days of almost unbroken sunshine in Val and Tignes (except for last Monday when luckily it tipped down). Although I've now spent getting on for 200 days in the EK, it never ceases to come up with new adventures or just lets well known pistes reward tired legs. This trip was for my birthday and was by far the best yet... on skis and on a board.

Hoping we get some snow for my trips in April.

I posted up a video of the day after it snowed. We did many of the classics around EK, but this was one of my favourites.
http://youtube.com/v/xS3E2M6BpOA
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe Altibus between EK and Geneva stops after 14th April. Was considering a short late trip, are they any other operators still running?
snow report
Quite chilly this morning but blue skies abounded, but we could soon see clouds coming up the valley, these continued to grow and the wind picked up, so by 2 it was mainly overcast. There might be a light shower of snow this evening as the cold front passes but we will be lucky if we see a cm of snow. Because of the shade and the cool temperatures the pistes stayed harder longer today. It is also very quiet, probably the quietest week since pre Christmas (also the impression in the hire shop); with the exception of Grand Pre where all the intermediate ski lessons were going on today! So to prove it here is a picture of a cloud:

Tomorrow will be sunny all day, but it will be another 2 or 3 degrees colder, and the re will be a steady stiff breeze, so the fleece layer and long johns will be making a return! Wednesday and Thursday will also be sunny, maybe one or two fluffy clouds on the peaks, the temps will pick up a couple of degrees and the wind will vanish again. Friday will be warmer again (but not to the levels of last week and there may be a few more clouds.
snow conditions
@dogwatch, there are a few of the transfer companies that run shared transfers which aren't much more expensive than the bus, around €70-€80 each way.

Check out people like Snow-drone, Alpine Sherpa etc.
snow report
@dogwatch, as mentioned try Snowdrone, Whiterides Mountain Rescue, as a few of people will be heading home around that date they will have empty legs. Where are you staying ?

As @chocksaway, said the cloud did roll in late lunchtime with a few flakes around Fornet.
Prior to that we had a blast down Face which was in lovely condition at 0930. Trip across to Tignes which seemed much busier but maybe just everybody having a late start. Leisse was nice at the top but towards to bottom was still solid. Couldn’t fault the condition of Double M on the way back down. Then Face at 1200 was still great, did spot a patch of grass stick through though.
PM it did get cooler as the wind picked up, Signal excellent as was Piste L but as the wind and cloud pick up we went back over to Solaise back to town. Plan/Piste M was the usual carnage. OK home was fantastic at the top but burnt the calories on the bottom section.

The trip to the roast chicken van tonight was chilly with a a snow flakes.

After a visit to the chicken van
snow conditions
... what happened then? Were you abducted?
snow report
Thanks sno trax and muppet, we would be staying in an apartment near the UCPA i.e. one stop above "centre village" in the Fornet direction.
snow report
Quite chilly today which meant the pistes stayed firm for much longer despite the very strong sun. We had a day blasting around the Solaise, mostly very quiet (except Santons!). Not a great del to report except that Orange seem to be having problems delivering the internet to my flat so on a tenuous link to the outside world via their public access service. Might be a better signal on the balcony, but its a bit chilly!

However, the weather is very simple! Four days of sunshine and temperatures a couple of degrees more than today, so still fresh. The nights will also be cold so the snow should keep well. There may be a few clouds bubbling up on the peaks in the afternoon (especially Friday) and there will be a few light breezes - that's it!
latest report
What is the crystal ball saying for next week? Looks like some snow on the way....usual hype email from the TO's saying 80cm's predicted. Might be able to ski next week so wouldn't mind some POW. Weather forecasts that I can see are a bit variable.
snow report
Some cold nights would also allow a bit of snow making.

@muppet, are you still on the same trip??? Didn't realise you were still there, last week.
ski holidays
@bar shaker, snow making at this time of year?
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@bar shaker, snow making at this time of year?

There's another 5 weeks to go. If it's cold enough, they will turn the pumps on... especially with Easter approaching.
latest report
@bar shaker, fair enough; they don't do it round our way...at least I don't think so
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy