Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, phone typo, 2330
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, how's the muck spreading going?

Another beautiful day in Tignes with excellent pistes and suprising few crowds.

Isotherm 0 at 3000m tomorrow so another warm day and lunch on a terrace Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brev has been crying out for that link to the buses for years.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tignes addict, got away with that! But Apple trees pruned.

I think it might be busier next week with 35000 vehicles coming to the Tarentaise. Delays will be inevitable, luckily the weather will not affect the flow.. even with 27k going down there will be queues unless you leave before 7, or tonight.

're flying, ok at the snowy side, may be the odd bit of mist to spoil the view. The UK can be summed up as a bit bumpy up north and a decent chance of fog at one of the London airports, which one I'm not sure. But it will probably slow things up somewhere down there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
@Tignes addict're flying, ok at the snowy side, may be the odd bit of mist to spoil the view. The UK can be summed up as a bit bumpy up north and a decent chance of fog at one of the London airports, which one I'm not sure. But it will probably slow things up somewhere down there.

Thanks for ....

re flying Very Happy

Looks like 'my' plane (G-FDZX) may have arrived back at Exeter from Tenerife ready for tomorrows rotations into Chambery. Speedy boarding booked, bags packed and < 20Kg, notebook fully charged & "Italian Job DVD" loaded. Just need a bottle of Uncle Jack from "Duty Free" and I'm all set. What could possibly go wrong rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another beautiful day and probably the last quiet day for a week or two!

The mountain roads have been busy all day with a steady stream of Renaults & volvos
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The pistes are in excellent condition although a little freeze thaw will no doubt take place due to the warm weather.

The only flight news I know is that Yorkshire Airways temporarily ran out if pickled onions to go with the fish and chips but thankfully Morrisons managed to supply a few dozen jars
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Has summer arrived?

So warm today
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Baking hot! Lovely though.

Anyone have updates on how Sache is?

Was thinking of heading out tomorrow morning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yesterday (Sunday) was very pleasant. Even Trolles back into Le Lac at 16:00 was nice and grippy, no moguls and quiet.

I thought I heard a forecast saying it was going to be 2 degrees cooler today (Monday) Thank goodness I resisted the temptation to put on another layer because I was boiling over after herding my charges down Face. Went over to Fornet and whilst there was a bit of a chill breeze up top, once we got going it was extremely warm. Luncheon at Edleweiss. Very Happy

Then back home via Leissiers, Rhone Alpes and Trolles. Rhone Alpes was quite nice, but the bottom half Trolles had stared to mogul up with soft sugary snow. And it seemed much busier today with 10 minute queues at most of the key lifts.

Contemplating Sache tomorrow, but suspect we'll have to be down in Brev for elevensies.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sat in an airport hotel in Manchester. When I did the weeks forecast last week, I was hoping things might have changed. Clearly not - another week of springlike temperatures, blue skies and sunshine, with maybe the odd fluffy cloud now and again, like tomorrow. At least the night time temperatures are well below zero allowing snowmaking if necessary. So when will things change, at current estimates late next week, probably Friday, as ever that's along time in weather terms.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i come out on 02/03 for a week off piste course. Really hoping theres a dump before then. ive already done an off piste week in tignes at the stary of jan and them conditions werent great either.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway,

No snowmaking at the moment, not needed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tignes addict, Splendid, might be down for F&C Friday....?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last 2 days have been great. It’s warm, but away from the villages up higher it’s pleasant.

1st time in Espace Killy and I really like it. Skied Face today and thought it was great.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@Tignes addict, Splendid, might be down for F&C Friday....?

Will book us in Laughing
snow report
@Tignes addict, Ta!
snow conditions
What's the quality of the pistes like at the moment? Any thoughts on if it's worth taking a last minute booking for next week given the sunny outlook?! (going again later in March.. Razz )
snow report
^^^^Why would it not be worth it jc234 Puzzled

Full snow cover, sunny, lovely temperatures...No powder but otherwise what's not to like??

Go for it I'd say! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We're off to Zermatt at the weekend and really looking forward to it.
latest report
Quote:

^^^^Why would it not be worth it jc234

Full snow cover, sunny, lovely temperatures...No powder but otherwise what's not to like??

Go for it I'd say!

We're off to Zermatt at the weekend and really looking forward to it.

The little push I needed Laughing
ski holidays
@jc234,

Most people like sun Smile

Pistes are great.
snow conditions
I'm out for a long weekend this weekend and really looking forward to it.

Even billions of kids won't detract from clear blue sky skiing.
snow report
Back in the saddle - so to speak! Popped out this morning for a warm up before the hordes emerged. The pistes were a little firm, but not icy all the way down to La Daille (well you have to pop in for coffee at Rosée Blanche - cos that's the law!). It was only a short morning as the fridge was empty so had a quick 'supermarket sweep' through Bourg.

The weather really is quite boring - for the next 5 days, cold nights and spring like days - blue skies and sunshine, maybe the odd fluffy cloud on the peaks. Can't think of any thing else to pad it out with.

Oh its the Pisteurs show tonight at 6 in the centre of Lac, so lots of burying of children for the dogs to find, the odd explosion as they chuck dynamite about and a helicopter normally, definitely worth a visit.
latest report
Second week of the holidays survived
snow report
Yip! Another blue day, but there was a cloud about the size of a 2CV on the top of Mont Blanc! I was out with New Gen today on an off piste day, clearly it was not going to be a powder day but lots of different surfaces to improve skills and balance. We started in the Col de Ves with chalky snow on a very steep run and then gradually worked our way across to Val D'isere via Cairn, again chalky grippy snow but some lumps and bumps:

After a trip down Combe des Americaines (might be known as Super L to others) we hopped up to the top of Le Fornet and down Vallonet where we encountered just about everything (apart from thigh deep powder). Which mant we could have lunch at Pont St Charles:

We wandered our way home by the North Face of Borsat, a bit stony on the traverse but otherwise good.

And for the weather same old. Another 4 days at least of blue skies and sunshine. Worthy of note to the more adventurous is tonight and subsequent nights are not going to be as cold so the snowpack will get a bit warmer. So in the sun there is more of a chance of an afternoon avalanche as things heat up. The official risk rises from 2 to 3 tomorrow afternoon. Beware stuff slipping from above, especially where the rock is exposed and heats up quickly.

The travel. The roads are already busy as people start to leave, very wise. With 35000 coming up tomorrow and 32000 going down there are going to be big jams at peak times. If you are leaving be away by 7.30 at the latest or ski all day and have a hassle free trip in the evening. At least the weather wont hamper the queues. For flying mist over here at Chambery and Grenoble should remain within limits. In the UK it looks a bit dreary and there is a 30-40% chance of fog at the 4 London airports and Leeds Bradford, so one of them will cop for it and that will slow things up. If I were a betting man - Luton - but I'm not!!

PS Interesting stat of the week: about 19000 people have ridden the Tommeuses lift every day this week! (Clearly some will do it more than once)
snow report
Well, that's another week done and dusted. I don't think we've seen a cloud all week - excepting a few con-trails from passing airliners. There was a breeze up high today which threatened to scupper our outside at the Panoramic final blow out meal, but in the end everything was fine.

Pistes are in excellent nick, the only dodgy stuff we found was in the mogul field towards the bottom of Sache, and even then finding the rocky/earthy bits required a good degree of incompetence from your's truely. They are softening up late afternoon though, and getting a bit 'lumpy' in busy places, and some of the lifts (notably Grand Huit) grow some nasty queues after about 3pm.

If someone would pay for me to have another week then my advice would be get out for first lifts (9am ish), take a long elevenses/early lunch, and then ski through a long lunch hour. Reservations in mountain resturaunts are essential, but you can often 'phone in the morning and get a slot for that day.
snow report
Ahhh the peace of a changeover Saturday! Just ruined by today's new bugbear, those speakers in rucksacks blaring out French rap. Just downright selfish. Do they work on Bluetooth and can I by a jamming device, or even better an app that overpowers theirs and plays Jimmy Osmond's greatest hits Twisted Evil!!

We had a charge round the pistes which are still in great condition, right down to La Daille, no stones appearing yet thankfully. It was very warm today and later there was quite a bit of spring style avalanche activity, notably one near le Fornet, its time to be on piste by lunchtime at the moment.

Oh, we were unlucky with the la Daille bubble, clearly the fish delivery to the Folie/Fruiterie had been leaking and the thing stank of poisson, luckily its only 4 and a half minutes now. Avoid bubble no 30 for a day or 2!

Weather, another 4 days of spring, relatively warm nights and warm days, blue skies and sunshine. Looks like the weather changes around Thursday, but nor much sign of any serious snow for another 10 days or so, hopefully this will change.

For the travellers, there is a chance of fog at nearly all the UK airports, which is quite unusual, apart from Leeds where it will be foggy, luckily its not too busy there at this time of year so shouldn't be many delays. Elsewhere it depends where it strikes. The roads will be black all the way to your chalet door!
latest report
Judwin wrote:
Well, that's another week done and dusted. I don't think we've seen a cloud all week - excepting a few con-trails from passing airliners. There was a breeze up high today which threatened to scupper our outside at the Panoramic final blow out meal, but in the end everything was fine.

Pistes are in excellent nick, the only dodgy stuff we found was in the mogul field towards the bottom of Sache, and even then finding the rocky/earthy bits required a good degree of incompetence from your's truely. They are softening up late afternoon though, and getting a bit 'lumpy' in busy places, and some of the lifts (notably Grand Huit) grow some nasty queues after about 3pm.

If someone would pay for me to have another week then my advice would be get out for first lifts (9am ish), take a long elevenses/early lunch, and then ski through a long lunch hour. Reservations in mountain resturaunts are essential, but you can often 'phone in the morning and get a slot for that day.

I agree. We are just back and thought the piste were excellent. Agree also that Sachs has some nasty little snags lurking just below the surface on the lower mogul section. If I had know I would have bailed at the red cut out and not done the lower section.

Thoroughly loved skiing in Espace Killy and we will be back.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another day another dollar or bluebird day. The sun has shone all day and the snow is really melting off the roofs now. So another day of piste skiing, luckily it was not too busy away from the nursery slopes, tomorrow may be different when al the Brit chalets have changed over. We did a bottom to top, all the way down to Brev and a quick recce of the bottom of Sache, not bad so that was next. It is still mostly very good. After coffee we then worked our way round to the Grande Motte, we hit the cable car during lunch so no queue and for the first time this year it was down Leisse, after all last years snow this year navigation is a bit more difficult:

The snow is fine but the moguls are big! On the way back we did find one or two patches of hard pack on Dahu, but on the whole its holding up well.

There is something to talk about regarding the weather today - change is on the horizon. But first we will have 3 more days of sun, the temperature will increase by one degree each day - phew. On Thursday it all changes, the temperature will drop by about 5 degrees and cloud will build through the day and precipitation will start mid afternoon according to the latest forecasts, it will be snow down to 1900m but the snowline will drop after dark. The forecast is still not nailed down though and this may change - for Friday almost anything could happen, hopefully more detail tomorrow.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Cheers for a very pleasant ski around. Snow & Sunshine...... what's not to like?

Definitely some good choices made timings wise. Nice to ski some quiet pistes. (Not dissimilar to "Changeover Saturday ") Cool
snow report
@chocksaway,

New moon Smile
latest report
@Tignes addict, Laughing Laughing
snow report
@GeorgeVII, In a Wallace sort of accent "Grand"
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Ahhh the peace of a changeover Saturday! Just ruined by today's new bugbear, those speakers in rucksacks blaring out French rap. Just downright selfish.

Not just a French problem. We had this last week in Madonna. About to get on a chairlift wit h my daughter, lots of music at lift station, naively I thought it was the liftie, Hannah said it was the person next to us in the queue let's get on the next chair and prompt she got on the same one. We asked the guy to turn it down and he did but it was too loud and as you say selfish .. seen / heard others, not a good trend.
snow conditions
What is it with these people and their rucksack speakers? The music is always crap!!!
latest report
No speakers today, in fact nobody at all. A group of us decided to go for lich at the Palet Refuge. We skied down to Plan de Janin, a mixture of spring snow, soft snow, hard sastrugi and refrozen stuff. On the way back we called in at Chez Nico - no need for a reservation even in peak weeks:

It being the local holidays as well, he has his kids there, what a fab playground you have when dad is a gardien of a refuge:

4 snowshoe-ists did appear later but other than that we saw no one! marvellous.

In other news the Fresse chair is shut until at least Wednesday, the Bollin Fresse combo has been unreliable this season. As the chair was a prototype that didn't really catch on any new parts have to be bespoke made. Well the widget arrived and is being fitted as we speak.

The weather, two more days of sunshine, the day and night time temps will increase a bit; this means the avalanche risk starts at 2 and rises to 3 tomorrow. Thursday will start sunny, but cooler. Winds will build up in the afternoon and cloud cover will arrive. It will start snowing after dark down to 1300m. Friday will be windy and snow showers interspersed with sunny spells. The snow may be a bit sleety down in Brev during the morning. Change is here!

And Finally:

I received this pic from @timlongs (our local brewer) this morning. Like me, has an eye for the absurd and the idiosyncratic. Surely this must be at the top of all snowHeads Christmas lists:

Yes - "The Roundabouts of the Savoie" available in Bourg for only €29.90 this morning
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
I received this pic from @timlongs (our local brewer) this morning. Like me, has an eye for the absurd and the idiosyncratic. Surely this must be at the top of all snowHeads Christmas lists:

I can't think of anywhere that is as good as the cover pic for that book.
snow report
Another spring like day, sent on the pistes of mainly the Bellvarde. The crowds were out today and the name of the game was 'dodge the queue'! The pistes are generally in good shape though they are softening in the sun creating lumps and bumps by lunchtime; some of the high traffic areas are a little slick at choke points or blind crests. We had a late lunch at Rosée Blanche whilst the hordes came back out, I'll be disappearing to a booze up in a brewery down in Centron shortly.

For tomorrow read today, but a degree warmer. Though tomorrow night will be mild Thursday will be a lot cooler, by 5 degrees or so and it will progressively cloud over after lunch and the winds will pick up late afternoon, making it feel unspring like again. Light snow will now arrive just into Friday, a little later than we thought, but that's a good thing as it will fall as snow all the way down to 1200m. Friday morning will be quite snowy and windy, the snow will be less intense in the afternoon, overall about 5-8cm, but the weather system wouldn't have to move much further east for it to miss us, fingers crossed. Saturday looks mainly cloudy, maybe a hint of sunshine in the afternoon and a small possibility of a light shower too.
snow conditions
'tis the season of...... skiing in jeans. Leading wives, girlfriends, kids down inappropriate terrain. Mono-boards and just plain muppetry.

It can only be the Parisien holidays.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII, you forget the Parisian ladies skiing with handbags!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy