Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Does the wind never stop in Tignes. Can see all of the new snow seems to be blown away on the cams on the higher points. last time I was there there was constantly wind at above 2200.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, frequently. We have storms and because we are high they are stronger. But it also means it is colder so we have snow earlier and later. You pays your money and takes you choice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a query re childcare in Tignes. Has anybody had any experience with Bluebird Childcare or Boo Bird Childcare as they are now known? Interested in good or bad experiences
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone know what the road conditions are like from BsM to VC?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fionelo, Tonight, they are black. The warm spell melted all the white syuff on the road. Just watch out for the odd patch of ice where meltwater hasn't evapourated (ie bits that were in shadow at 1630).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @chocksaway! We’ve stopped over in Arras tonight as I couldn’t muster the energy to keep my eyes open until Troyes. Will be doing BsM to Val Claret on Saturday morning / afternoon at some point though so it’s nice to know that potentially chains won’t have to be used!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Moderate snow in the village now but the wind is picking up at altitude.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was a pink tint to the clouds this morning and a hint of sunshine, but effectively the weather followed the forecast. So we had a couple of hours on the piste just for some fresh air and by midday it was snowing lightly the aair was damp, the light was flat and it wasn't very appealing. As George said it then became moderate snowfall and has continued as such, so maybe we will get a little more than we thought. the snow will continue for an hour or two, it will then fair up but there then may be some more light flurries later this evening. The sky will then clear essentially and tomorrow morning will be bright and very cold with light winds. The amount of cloud will be variable and a thin sheet of high stuff may form in the afternoon. The mischievous fronts have moved a bit further away so Saturday will be very cold and predominantly sunny, maybe a fluffy cloud or two in the afternoon. Sunday looks like starting cold with sunny periods, the cloud will thicken in the afternoon and it may be thick enough to give light snow showers after dark. Monday may well start with sunny periods and fluffy clouds, another cold day with the chance of snow flurries later in the afternoon.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2weeks to go for us till trip to Bourg (got car, staying at Huttopia). We are mile hungry mates who like to explore. Not decided which resorts yet, though first and last day will be Les Arcs. If we head along the valley any advice on doing a day skiing from Tignes 1800 (Tignes pass) or extra few mins along for Daille (full EK pass). Other suggestions welcome too to get best experience of the area Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want an on piste day start in la Daille with an EK pass gets my vote.
Park at base of Funival and aim to do the 4 corners all on piste..La Daille ,Le fornet,Grande Motte and Breviere.
Route suggestion.. Up funival and then straight down into Val D’Isere via any of the routes...as a first run the iconic Face black may be a little daunting but timing will be good for best conditions so do it.
Take Solaise bubble up and ski around solaise area before heading down L or Mattis to Laisnant lift.
Ski to Signal and up chair,ski down “slope difficile”to poma that takes you to Fornet glacier .
Take Cascade chair followed by T bar to summit.
Return to Val D’Isere via Cema and then Lessières (the up and over) get cameras ready ....
Ski back to Val centre by any route ( Datcha,Pim Pam lifts probably fastest then down Plan to Olympique)
Up Olympique lift.. Ski down to Borsat lift maybe taking a break en route in Marmottes cafe for a bowl of goulash soup.
Up Borsat and then follow piste and signs to Val Claret Tignes to your left .
Take Glacier train in Val Claret to Grande Motte.
Unlikely that top cable car will be running so descend via any of the reds back to Val C.
Take Tichot lift followed by Grattalu lift . Ski to Grande Huit chair via the Merle piste.
Up Grande Huite and then ski two options a) longer ski to Tignes Le lac and then Chaudanes lift or b) take Aguille percee to the eye of the needle followed by the Sache black run down into la Breviere. Probably take option b if legs not too tired.
Check time as you need to leave la Brev on bubble by 15.45 .
Return to Tignes le Lac via La Boisse bubble and Aigulle Rouge chair.
Ski to Toviere bubble..
Maybe at top of Toviere call in for a small refreshment before skiing Edelweiss to Marmottes chair.
Up Marmottes the final chair of the day and then ski the Ok downhill run to La Daille only stopping to checkout La Folie douce. Entry is not recommended unless you are of a certain age.

Final watering hole has to be Rose Blanche tell Jan Mike sent you ..The best Vin Chaud in Val.

Now depending on a few things like lift queues slope traffic etc this route usually can be completed quite easily and it has been known for at least two circuits to have been skied on a quiet Saturday..but be aware that your car is in Val d isere and that the last lift back closes promptly at 16.45 so do not be late as taxis are not cheap and buses very infrequent...
I have done this from memory so I apologise now for any mistakes but am sure it will be corrected by someone here but I think in principal it is a good day out in the Espace Killy now known as Tignes Val d ‘Isere!
Enjoy...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow was still falling at around midnight in Lavachet. And for a change it was actually coming straight down.

Might be worth an early lift to ski a bit of hero snow wink.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still snowing moderately in Lac, but the cloud tops are at 2400m. The top of the Tov is in glorious sunshine. I think George is right!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And he was! It was very strange, I have never see snowflakes that big come from 200m worth of cloud. Anyway it all went by 915 and left a Fab-u-lous day. The sun predominated all morning but it was very cold, good job there was only the chairlifts creating a breeze. By lunchtime a thin layer of cloud took the heat out of the sun and made some of the shadowed areas a bit dull otherwise just great, so good I forgot to take any pictures so here's one from the archives:

The snow measurer seems to be on holiday but overall about 10cm, in some areas it was much deeper....... We started around the Palet and Ves area, some pitches were knee deep light powder, others were a bit shallower with the occasional graze of the under surface, boing. We did pop up to the top of Genepy, and the sastrugi were reminiscent of Fistral Beach - ride em. But below the ridges all was just, well, sublime! Familial was quite tracked by the time we got there but still good, lunch in the Rosée Blanche was well earned. A few more runs and it was time for a rest.

Tomorrow will be cold, blinking cold. There will be variable amounts of cloud but there should be lots of sunny periods, the cloud bases will vary so what you see is what you get really. Breezes will be very light. Sunday will be pretty similar, so if you don't have enough layers on tomorrow, you know what to wear for Sunday Best!! Just so I don't sound like a cracked record Monday will be very cold, there will be mostly sun in the morning, but a few more clouds in the afternoon. Tuesday will be like Monday until late afternoon when it will cloud over before it starts snowing in the early hours (probably).

For those travelling tomorrow, firstly go and put an extra layer in the luggage, its going to be a proper wintery cold week. The roads will be black and quiet with 20k coming up and 15k going down the hill with empty wallets. For those 'screaming down the runway throttles open wide' (now there was a late happy hour song!!) there are potentially a few problems, the UK looks mainly drizzly; however there is a reasonable chance of fog at Luton and Stansted which could slow things up. The real snags are probably going to be at Leeds as it is forecasting thick fog and sleet showers, the former will test the limits of the aircraft and crews, the latter the ground crews if they have to de-ice. Over here, its looking reasonable although the visibility at Chambery could get marginal for a while so if it deteriorates then there could be a bit of holding on the ground or in the air.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, I was wondering if you could give me a bit of Tignes advice - my daughters (age 25 and 19) and myself are heading to Tignes Val Claret on 3rd Feb and wondered if you could recommend some good (not ridiculously expensive) lunch stops, decent restaurants (again nice but not break the bank) as although we have chalet catering we have to eat out one night, and finally good fun apres ski places. You seem to be the chap with all the Tignes knowledge so I thought you might be able to help. Many thanks in advance.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, A bit bizarre heading out this morning. By 9am the cloud cover had gone, the Sun was shining and yet it was snowing.

Great day for playing around. Quite a bit of fresh snow in places. Simply lovely.
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
@chocksaway, A bit bizarre heading out this morning. By 9am the cloud cover had gone, the Sun was shining and yet it was snowing.

Great day for playing around. Quite a bit of fresh snow in places. Simply lovely.

Or to quote Max Verstappen "Simply, Simply Lovely!!"

Down to Fish and Chip Friday at QDC in an hour or so.
snow conditions
@Ajn12345, I tend t regard lunch as a fuel stop rather than fine dining so:
Val Claret - The Aspen (massive burger for a tenner) or Coco Rico for a slice of pizza.
Lac - Breton Creperie or Jam Bar for Pasta (get there at 1150 it's small)
Lavachet - La Cantina for a bacon butty.
La Daille - Rosee Blanche for quiche or Croque
Bellvarde - Marmottes - very good value as is its sister on the Val Glacier - Cascades.

For dinner in Val Claret - the Couloir (although avoid Monday 4th - it may well be full of us!!)

For good fun apres (and the age of the ladies) Coco Rico in Val Claret and I suppose I have to mention Folie Douce on the slopes above La Daille in Val - don't miss the last Tommeuses lift a taxy is expensive! Also live music most nights in the Loop in Lac.
snow report
@chocksaway - Is there a bus that runs from La Daille to Tignes after last lifts - just in case?
snow conditions
@Zermattandchips, Yes, its a pay bus, link to timetable on Page 1 of this thread. Can be rammed/long wait though, especially if you are having such a good time that you can't make the Tommeuses wink
ski holidays
@chocksaway, I am mid whatsapp chat with mates re one or two of those establishments. BEst comment so far is "Aspen - is that the burger joint next to the worst Irish bar in the world?"
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@GreenDay, Funny enough I have never been in there....
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@GreenDay, Funny enough I have never been in there....

We walked in one night about 4 years ago en route to bus stop. Awful. 3 other people in, 2 were bar staff, handball on the tv and status quo on the speakers !!

WE still had a drink though, Scottish and all that Cool
snow report
@chocksaway, Thanks for those tips - though I don’t think the idea of other snowHeads being in a place would put me off - always thought it might be nice to meet some other snowhead enthusiasts. I agree with you about lunch being a fuel stop so will try out some of your recommendations. You are right the girls are keen to try the Folie Douche experience at least once - sadly. Here’s hoping for some good weather. Cheers.
ski holidays
@Zermattandchips, yes, there are three buses that leave La Daille for Tignes after last lifts. The last one leaves 20:07 and tickets cost €6.70.
https://en.tignes.net/holidays/getting-around/la-navette-tignes-val-disere
snow report
Pretty ruddy cold on the slopes today, but some fantastic powder to be found. Random question, but does anyone know where I could acquire a micro SD card in Val Claret?
snow report
Anyone who’s driving up the D902 tomorrow, there’s been a warning for snow chains past Bourg Saint Maurice. Clouds were down in the valley this afternoon and there was a smattering of snow just outside Chambery on the autoroute
latest report
Ajn12345 wrote:
Folie Douche

So you HAVE been there!! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@moosepig, yes but the one in Megeve, it is quite an experience!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@lunch mike - great recommendation, much appreciated
snow conditions
Glorious morning up here - just a bit of cloud at height so off for a skin. Unfortunately the wind dropped down the valley and fog has formed at Lyon Grenoble and its also drifting about at Chambery but the first Tommy made it so maybe just maybe it will be OK. Ahhh just noticed the Easy from Luton has diverted from Grenoble to Lyon, Grenoble has a real pea souper. Its going to be a long morning for some......
ski holidays
Yes - waiting at Grenoble now
No Planes here yet ... saying 2 hour delay
ski holidays
I am going to inquire but the approach limits seem to have increased since last year. The TC from Birmingham has gone to Marseilles Shocked
snow conditions
@PBJ, Whats your fly number?
ski holidays
So far the EZYs (Gatwick and Luton) are at Lyon, the Jet2s (leeds and Brum) are at Lyon, the Thomas Cook from Birmingham I at Marseilles and it looks like his sister from Gatick is heading there as well.

I'm off skiing but good luck!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
I am going to inquire but the approach limits seem to have increased since last year. The TC from Birmingham has gone to Marseilles Shocked
Ha, that'll be a long transfer!
latest report
BA 8619 no info here at all
snow report
Just found it at Lyon ... presumably we wait for the fog to lift and it hops over to pick us up
ski holidays
Our flight to Lyon from Manchester landed on time but couldn't see ground coming. Now on coach to la Tania
snow report
On plane now ... zero information or communication at Grenoble.
Plane was at Lyon with several others ... stewardess mentioned icing issues whilst waiting at Lyon.
3 hours late ... could be worse ... it’s been a great week with skiworld.
latest report
Another bluebird but barkingly cold day. So we went off for a tour up to Col de la Grazzaz to find the fresh. Seemingly we were the first up there:

Not a mark in the snow. We only came across another 2 skiers as they skinned back from Col de la Tourne so the peace and solitude was almost complete. After a spot of lunch we had of course got first tracks, it was quite deep:

But we didn't make too much of a mess:

Plenty left for tomorrow!
On the last skin I hhad a bit of a problem with a binding/brake, which was temporarily sorted with some gaffa tape, but the warranty claim has already been submitted by the shop, here's hoping.

I think the fog at Grenoble caught everyone out, the forecast was reissued at 0754, presumably as the fog formed. So those already airborne had few options. Fog is a fickle old thing to forecast only one parameter has to change and bang chaos ensues, unless the airport has the most expensive kit, which clearly at Grenoble would be unaffordable for 20 weekends a year. I think it is the forst time I recall it being this bad in the last 6 years.

It looks like tomorrow will be mostly sunny with a few clouds lurking around the peaks. But it will be very cold, and will remain so until well into the morning, any slight breeze will make it seem Baltic. Monday appears to be very similar - wrap up again. Tuesday will start similarly but the cloud will be thicker as a gang of fronts arrive from the northwest, no let up in the temperatures though. The fronts look as though they are weakening as they approach so the next bit of the forecast is tentative, but Wednesday would appear to be a day of very cold temperatures, snow showers (fairly light) and a bit of a breeze. Winter's back with a vengeance. After that its unsettled.

Now the weather for travel tomorrow: It looks mainly damp and drizzly in the UK in the morning, there is a slim chance of fog at Leeds and Bristol. Over here Geneva has a slim chance of a snow shower till mid morning, which if it arrives may cause delays. Chambery has a chance of patchy fog, a bit of holding perhaps. Currently it may be a bit misty at Lyon and Grenoble, not enough to delay anything, providing the forecaster is right and conditions don't change like today!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy