Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
No news as yet on the incident, dinner partners tonight will provide more detail I am sure.

Had a day off cleaning after the early departure of guests, as @GeorgeVII, said nice day.

Tomorrow will be as nice, if not nicer, a degree or two warmer and very little wind. Tuesday will be grey, cloudy and windy, light snow in the morning, moderate in the afternoon, 5 or 6 cm. Wednesday looks windier, much colder (high lifts closed) as cloudy and 7-8cm of snow. This snowfall is probably about all we could have without the avalanche risk going through the roof. The mercury is really going to plunge on Thursday, despite the lack of wind it is going to be Baltic, there will be a few clouds but lots of sunny spells (may change though). Overnight Thursday should be diesel waxingly cold and Friday will be sunny and very cold. @lynnecha, Nice day to be travelling (sleeping bag in boot though!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Evening all. Probably a daft question but I’ll ask it anyway. Trying to work out how much cash to bring with me next week. I assume most bars, cafes and mountain eateries in tignes take credit cards? Cheers
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dobby, Yes, most (if not all) take cards, but there may be a minimum spend.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby wrote:
Evening all. Probably a daft question but I’ll ask it anyway. Trying to work out how much cash to bring with me next week. I assume most bars, cafes and mountain eateries in tignes take credit cards? Cheers

I’m playing it safe and taking €50 cash just in case we find ourselves in a bar which doesn’t take cash or for general nicnacs in resort like coffee / snacks etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are of course cash machines as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Debit card is fine. Personally I would recommend a REVOLUT card. (or similar).

Some places have a 10 euro minimum spend but quite a few don't.

Quite a few cash machines about if you run out of readies.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bit if a late night......

The incident in the fingers resulted in a badly mangled shoulder. They are just about unskiable at the moment speaking to those in the know. There was also a heli evac from Pisteurs Couloir in Val yesterday as a group could not go up or down, again the only way down it is with crampons Shocked

Grand morning, but seems very quiet out of the window.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You really have to wonder why people would attempt such routes, with the snow/ice as it is.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How are the pistes Tignes-side looking at the moment? Mainly thinking about Grattalu, Double M and Prariond as these will be the warming up runs before expeditions further afield are required.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:
You really have to wonder why people would attempt such routes, with the snow/ice as it is.

After your first season in EK you end up being amazed there aren't more needing rescuing, given how many attempt any of the off-piste without knowledge, kit, guide, common sense etc. Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Fionelo Just back from a week there. Skied Grattalu, Double M and Prariond on Saturday and they were in great condition.

Prariond got pretty cut up by the end of most days (I presume that's the snow canon stuff?)

Double M was just lovely. I looped Grattalu a lot on Saturday morning, practising my carving and to my fairly untrained eyes the condition was awesome.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I loooooove Grattalu!! One of the few pistes you can absolutely hoon down (if it's relatively empty) and feel like you can ski.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been following this thread with a beady eye for the last few months! I arrive on the 13th, staying in Les Brevieres. Really looking forward to it! Quick query - if I needed my skis servicing, is there a recommended place there, or would you suggest somewhere up the mountain?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kenzie wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

After your first season in EK you end up being amazed there aren't more needing rescuing, given how many attempt any of the off-piste without knowledge, kit, guide, common sense etc. Puzzled

Last week we were on Tommeuses and saw someone below, off to our right. Near this chap was a lone ski. As the lift went up, it became apparent he was talking to his friend who was in the bottom of a deep crater. Here the friend was looking for his other ski, in waist deep snow. He has clearly ended up in the crater, some time after running out of skill. There was no easy visible way of this chap getting out of the crater and the rim was were perilously corniced in places. Neither of the two people had any visible safety equipment with them.

Seeing this made my blood run cold.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
buzzub wrote:
@Fionelo Just back from a week there. Skied Grattalu, Double M and Prariond on Saturday and they were in great condition.

Prariond got pretty cut up by the end of most days (I presume that's the snow canon stuff?)

Double M was just lovely. I looped Grattalu a lot on Saturday morning, practising my carving and to my fairly untrained eyes the condition was awesome.

Fantastic! What I needed to hear Razz

@honeybunny I share your feelings - it’s wide enough so you can have a bit to yourself but not so steep that the inevitable bottleneck appears!
latest report
A bit warmer today and not much wind at all, so there was pleasure to be had! Just a gentle cruise around with some mates including Double M and Grattalu which are fine. Carline is getting a bit scratchy (top tip - go down the half pipe rather than the last pitch). Prariond varies through the day. Also had a light lunch at Coco Rico, a slice of pizza and a coffee for €10, not bad at all.

Anyway stand by for a different view out of the window in the morning. Around midnight those funny grey things will appear. Tomorrow morning will be a bit grizzly, windy and very light snow from the start, its an insipid feature so we may see 5-6cm or it may be less depending on which model you look at. The wind will strengthen through the day, so not that pleasant. Wednesday will be very cold, quite windy and the snow will be a little heavier maybe 7-10cm in total, the main battle will be fighting the windchill. Sunny periods appears to be the order of the day for Thursday, but it will be very, very cold the freezing level is down on the beach in Nice to give you a clue Shocked at least there wont be too much wind. Thursday night is likely to be the coldest of the season so far and Friday will be sunny and cold. After that confidence is not high but unsettled and fast moving snow showers.
ski holidays
Will be back on the road up to Tignes on Wednesday, just in time for some snowfall. The last time I drove up that route and had to put chains on, one chain broke and decided to wrap itself around my rear axle. Here's hoping we don't have a repeat of that time around!

My skis are in my mate's garage in Austria during this short trip. What's my best option for a place to hire some all mountain planks for a couple of days? Tignes Spirit? Somewhere else? Staying in le Lac, so local or Lavachet preferred for rental shop trudge. Would prefer to NOT end up with a pair of noodles or, for that matter, some ridiculous race ski arrangement ... Ta!
snow conditions
Mountain story at the maison de Tignes end of the Palafour building have a great selection and are super efficient.
snow report
Had an absolutely fantastic day today. Bluebird and warmish. Spent the entire day on the "left" side of Val...Solaise first, then down Piste L to the bottom and up to Fornet and the glacier which was awesome. Then back over to Solaise for the rest of the day and did everything. Pistes in great shape. And then a good band in Cocorico to finish off!
ski holidays
@zammo, plenty of options in Le Lac. The place next to Carrefour on Rue del le Poste always has a good selection.

Incidentally I dropped my skis in with Guy Claret at Sport 2000 last week for service when it was super busy. (Also on Rue de la Poste) 3.45pm when I handed them over and they were ready to collect within the hour.
ski holidays
Also just picked my skis up from Guy Clarey (thanks to @GeorgeVII, it was a bit late last night Very Happy ). His rentals are also the best value I could find in Lac and Lavachet for mates coming. Lets face it between Guy and his son (Johann) they should know a bit about ski servicing). Also with Jean Charles working there doing the bootfitting its pretty much a one stop shop now.
https://guyclarey.sport2000.fr/fr/

Its 'snizzling' this morning and a bit raw and grey outside so breaking out the paint brushes.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, @GeorgeVII - thanks for those recommendations. Been a few years since I was in town. Ta!
latest report
Wow. The racers on Trolles have got their work cut out this morning. (Real racers, not the jacket flapping straight lining variety!)

RESPECT!
ski holidays
The unguided missiles are still out and about , stance even more straight legged and bending forward from waist going just as fast hoping/expecting everyone will just get out of their way!
With the wind hiding the piste surface under blowing snow I expect a self induced cull over next few days with local hospitals filling up!!
latest report
Was there any snowfall today or just cloudy?
snow conditions
Was there any snowfall today or just cloudy?
snow conditions
I am currently in Val d'isère, and on this side at least, there were just a few thin flurries - nothing measurable - with a lot of wind but prolonged sunny spells.
ski holidays
So a day with the paint brushes, nearly finished but bad light stopped play (well painting) at 1530. The grey did break around 11am (a bit unexpected) which allowed the FIS Women's Giant Slalom to go ahead. The wind picked up after lunch closing a variety of lifts and so far we have had very little snow (maybe a cm) and what has arrived is swirling around. There are still a few light flurries around.

The flurries will continue but they should increase in intensity after midnight. We should see moderate snow all day tomorrow (most of the forecast are agreeing), it will be very cold and windy, so again the exposed lifts will be shut and there may be an early morning call from the pisteurs if some snow has accumulated 'under the wind'. Somewhere between 8 and 10 cm to come before Thursday morning I think. With the windchill tomorrow there will be a possibility of frost nip on exposed body parts, take care. Thursday now looks like being a cold, cloudy day with perhaps the odd sunny spell. There will be little wind though on current predictions. The sun will return on Friday but it will be barkingly cold, even in the light breezes. Saturday will be a little less Baltic and a sunny day, with a few fluffy clouds in light breezes. After that it all looks a bit unsettled.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hodgkins wrote:
Mountain story at the maison de Tignes end of the Palafour building have a great selection and are super efficient.

Good to hear. 1st time to Tigne and that who we have organised our ski hire through, mainly because they are so convenient to the main lift area.
latest report
Light snow this morning. Probably just a couple of cms on the path.

Currently -10c and windy. Val > Tignes link (Tommueses) closed according to Tignes app.
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, Tigski did two laps of Palafour and came in - could barely see the chair in front of him at the top Shocked Popping to the Embu at 6.

Now finished the DIY project, it was a good day for sealing draughts out, no snags finding them Very Happy . I was going to go shopping but having seen a bent Citroen being dragged unceremoniously into the village I don't think I'll bother.
snow conditions
Been snowing all day...poor vis high up..had a shocker first thing up La Daille wind a zero viz, all went over in the nice new powder we couldn't see! Solaise slightly better, home run down OK then bimbled up Bellevarde and the red and bottom of La Face good fun. Binned it off now for a late boozy lunch!!

Can't wait for tomorrow!
ski holidays
I was watching the webcam from the comfort of my smartphone this lunchtime and, although several of them seemed to be offline and those that were were basically a whiteout with a scattering of people in them, this seems to be the dump we’ve all been waiting for!

Can’t wait to get out there next weekend now Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Fionelo, same here
snow report
@Fionelo, About 3"of snow has settled on the path since this morning. Most of that has been delivered sideways from right to left wink.

I'm on the ground floor so it's probably been whipping past the windows at Chocksaways lofty perch Shocked .

There have been a couple of sucker gaps that almost tempted me out but within 5 minutes the scenery had disappeared again. Better luck tomorrow.
snow report
Is the Grand Motte cable car still disabled from storm damage? If so, any update on when it will be operational?
snow report
@GeorgeVII, First lift up tomorrow is on the cards then!

If today’s conditions are anything to go by, the snowboards will be showing their face when I get at it Twisted Evil
snow report
The official scores on the doors for the 24 hours to 8Am were 3cm in the village and 5cm up high. I would say we have had twice that much since then but very difficult to say as I have spent most of my time looking out at a blizzard going in all directions. Its also very fine and dry snow which has reached the parts other snows cant reach! Some of this will have drifted and on the hard base below it will slip, the MF formal risk has risen to 2. If you fall in a hole and a drift follows you in this level will be purely academic........

Its not a dump, but its a start.

I have looked on the pro site and there is no more formal news on the GM CC. It was supposed to be 3 weeks from the 19th and they have been working on it every day I have been up there and the cabins have been moving. Of course today won't have helped, I daresay even the most ardent Very Happy wouldn't expect Monsiur Le Spanner to be out in 80kph winds with gusts above.

Meanwhile in Val they have been amusing themselves by stealing a car and then wrecking it on the ice driving circuit, apply your own English/Tignes-Val stereotypes as you see fit!

Tomorrow sees a gang of top French athletes in an indoor competition in Tignesspace. The pole vaulting seems to be the big even. Shame it wasn't today.

The light snow will continue through the evening, it will then peter out to leave us with a very cold second half of the night. The sun will be shining in the morning, but in the light breezes it is going to feel cold, very cold. A few clouds will bubble up late morning and by happy hour the sky will be covered. But these clouds will vanish to leave a sunny and cold day for Friday, mercifully there should be little or no wind. Saturday will start sunny and much milder, the wind will pick up in the afternoon and snow showers should start sometime between mid afternoon and midnight. Most probably Sunday will see fast moving snow showers with sunny periods. But the cold front is coming from the north and its progress is debatable, so some forecasts are showing quite a bit of snow, others none at all. Expect your apps to default to frustrating mode as the forecast snowfalls fluctuate wildly and sty tuned for more reliable information over the next few days!
snow report
@Fionelo, First lift and first tracks..... bit of an alien concept to me normally but not today. First ride up Paquis lift as it opened just as I arrived. Then first tracks back down Trolles. Very pleasant indeed.

I'll leave it to @chocksaway, to put the scores on the doors temperature and weather wise. I'm just glad that I put an extra layer on top of my extra layer wink
ski holidays
To capture the essence of today, I tried to capture the temperature at the Fontaine Froide Chair, but my phone doesn't seem to pick up the numbers on the thermometer:

Anyway at 1150 this morning it was still -15degs C, you'll have to take my word for it! So blue skies and froid, tres froid. Mercifully there was little wind otherwise we would have been in The Rossée Blanche all day. Very Happy Despite being in a blizzard all day yesterday we only had about 5 more cm of snow, it just arrived 3 or 4 times as the wind changed. The pistes all round resort are much improved. We tried all round off piste and yes there was some fab turns in light windblown grains but only 3 or 4 in a row (except for a secret stash), you thin either hit frozen sastrugi and got airborne unexpectedly or were down to the very hard packed stuff where you had to be very quick on your edges. Also the snowpack is still not that deep so there are still a few hazards sticking through, like fences and old lift paraphanalia. So definitely a curates egg, hopefully the snow in the following days will improve matters Very Happy The FIS Ladies were racing on Lognan, must have been chilly hanging around at the top in lycra (even though it is a bit padded) Shocked

Tonight will be clear and very cold, if you are leaving on Saturday, you have a diesel car and it is parked outside I would check it tomorrow afternoon so if you have waxed up then you will be at the front of the queue for the tow trucks. Tomorrow will have similar temperatures to today, the winds will be light or negligible but there will be some fluffy clouds around to add a bit of contrast to the blue (and create some unwelcome shadows). Saturday will feel quite a bit warmer and be sunny with light winds all day. This is where it gets tricky, as I said yesterday the front that is heading our way is weak and indecisive so Saturday night will be cloudy and we may see light snow, or we may not! Sunday will be windy and cloudy and it may (50-75% certainty) see light snow. For Monday you need an eight sided dice. Windy - yes, fast moving cloud - yes, light snow - pretty likely, moderate to heavy snow - maybe. It could well be all or nothing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy