Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Back from the sand pit of Dubai and heading to Val d’Isere on Sunday morning.
Sounds like a complete shock to my system weather wise !
I’ve things set up for the next few mornings but if anybody is about in the afternoons/evenings let me know.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stopped just south of Troyes but on the road at 7am. Just nearing Dijon. At least it’s daylight......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pretty much stormbound but the roads are running. 30cm of snow, both high and low overnight, but as its all blowing around its a bit academic. I suspect the roads will turn white somewhere around 1400-1500m, I can see snow on the road on the Boisses but Meribel at 1440m looks like a slushfest and remarkably unlike a ski resort. So far the only forecast is for the village lifts.

On a more sombre note we have a missing French student in Val last seen at 2am in a bit of a sorry state... Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, thanks for the update. Very helpful.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
World Cup racing cancelled in Val due to the weather and not much scheduled to open for a while. Can hear Avi blasting and so they are working on it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@lynnecha, The 1045 Altibus has just left on time, snow tyres without chains coping well, its a little bit warmer than forecast so that is helping.

The good news from Val is that the student has been found having slept the night in a building site - lucky that it wasn't deep winter...

Still only the village lifts open
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, great news. Thanks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weather is looking rather wild on the webcams!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're up for the crack of noon and the weather is still foul. Fine snow looks like it's been falling all night. Occasional blast of avalanche control. The view out of the square window looking down at the Maison de Tignes :

Think we'll be retiring to the Marmottes shortly (after a sausage sandwich brekkie) to assess the situation. Can't see us donning ski gear today.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Made it! Started snowing at St. Foy, pretty hairy from the dam, but CR-V and snow tyres got us here without problems. Phew.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bloody hell, still snowing. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Getting a bit bored of gazing out of the window... Anyone about in Val Claret for a drink later? Or if the resort buses are running we could head to Le Lac.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not a weather relaated question, but are there any boulangerie's or pastisserie's that deliver bread and croissants? Last year in Meribel we had a daily delivery at around 6:30am of fresh bread and croissants.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there anywhere that the Tignes locals would recommend for sports massage in Le Lac?

Also, is the pool and spa in the Montana wit worth going to as a non resident? (We're particularly keen on outdoor pools.)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@lynnecha, You certainly know how to make an entrance! (PM inbound in a mo)

@FrediKanoute, Not aware of one

@sugarmoma666, Making enquiries.... Don't know on the Montana.

What a day - stormbound! The odd village lift opened for the insane, the rest of us stayed indoors or cleared balconies (twice). There have been some tremendous gusts and it has snowed moderately or heavily since daybreak, difficult to say how much as its all being redistributed every 5 mins. There have been irregular bangs as the pisteurs make headway - its going to be a slow start tomorrow......

The snow will continue at present rates until mid morning, the gusts will not be quite as strong and will peter out in the morning leaving a sharp breeze still. It will feel very cold. The light snow looks like continuing all day. So it will be a living nightmare for the resort staff tomorrow. I would not venture out til you have checked what is open, I suspect it will be Tichot and Palafour by mid morning and not much else before lunch. It is going to be super dangerous, the Avi risk is likely to be 4/5 (the forecasts haven't started yet) so even venturing off the piste is going to be fraught with danger. Tuesday will be much nicer, any clouds over the breakfast table will dissipate to leave a mainly sunny day, quite chilly with light breezes, there will still be a lot of work to do to open the rest of the resort, patience is a virtue evidently! Wednesday will be similar, there may be an odd chance of a snow shower depending on your current best mate in the Met Supercomputer world wink . Confidence is not high for Thursday, most likely a reasonable, but cold start, followed by showers.

Tomorrow's proverb will be: 'discretion is the better part of valour'.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Made it too Very Happy

All well on the drive up until the fork to Val D - snow covered after that, with some fair accumulations on the road and some whiteout sections in the wind.

Only issue was driving down to what we thought was the free parking next to the Boisses gondola. Wanted to suss out if any spaces to move the car down from Val Claret later.

Soon found that the former car park is now a building site - and that the road back up was touch and go without fitting the chains. Made it...albeit just - and with a burning clutch smell rolling eyes

Then found where the free Boisses parking has moved to - ie the dead end bit of the old road through Les Boisses. Great - much better access and spaces available. Bus back very intermittent at the moment so need to move the car down there tomorrow.

Disappointed to find free Bollin lift off in the storm but managed about 45 mins skiing lovely snow and fresh tracks off the covered beginners' lift next to Tufs. Great to be back and to get the season underway Very Happy.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, I stayed in the Montana. The outdoor pool was OK but quite small. More novelty than proper swim I thought.
Indoor facilities there pretty good. Overall, I enjoy the public pool and leisure centre in Tignes. 1 free entry with lift pass. Can get crowded early evening and snowy days.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, The one I knew is not taking on new clients, due to other commitments but I did find this:

https://www.tignesmassage.com/

But can't offer any reference. You could always pop into one of the Mark Warner hotels (Ecrin de Neiges near the roundabout as you enter VC) or the Aiguille Percee in Lac just up from the Arbina - they normally have in house therapists, who may have availability as its low season.
snow conditions
First light from the window at Le Taos it looks worse than yesterday Sad
Still snowing and maybe even windier?
snow report
17 cm in the village and 30 on top. 160kph winds from the Grande Motte this morning Shocked The isobars are a bit tighter than forecast, its going to be a frustrating day for all, one or two village lifts are open, next news at 11am. Might be time to highlight this link:

https://ticketoski.fr/fr/tignes

To claim back for yesterday - not sure how that works with Admin's special deals - time to send him to Val Claret!
ski holidays
From our experience last year ref claims.

If you have taken out Carte Niege then that is who you claim from. Get an affidavit (statement) from the lift pass office to attach to your claim.

Otherwise it's done through the STGM.

Bonnet chance. It can take a while but with the lower skier numbers at this time of the year maybe not.
ski holidays
Marquis open
snow conditions
Damn auto correct meant parquis
snow conditions
or even Paquis!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, you got the message
ski holidays
I’ve spent today doing laps of the village runs. Awesome fresh snow but awful visibility, and bloody cold on the lifts, even low down. Fingers crossed for a great day tomorrow!

Did anyone see the guy in Lycra doing cross country skiing up and down the main street through Val Claret last night, with his runner gf in tow? Rather them than me!
snow report
Everybody jumping on Paquis, including lots of people who weren’t expecting to find a challenging red/black with poor visibility & heaps of fresh snow snowHead

Decided to cut it early & save the legs for hopefully an awesome Tuesday.
snow conditions
head_like_a_rock wrote:
Everybody jumping on Paquis, including lots of people who weren’t expecting to find a challenging red/black with poor visibility & heaps of fresh snow snowHead

Decided to cut it early & save the legs for hopefully an awesome Tuesday.

Haha, I thoroughly enjoyed the run down in the powder, made a change from the usually sheet of ice on Trolles
snow report
Been Diy-ing all day so I will leave tales of daring do to the rest of the World; but I note we have been playing bumper cars on the way down to Bourg.

Tomorrow morning will feel cold under a mainly clear sky. So we will see the sun, but perhaps a few clouds. The wind at altitude will still be brisk so still a lot of avalanche work to do. Inevitably there will be a lot of powder fever about, may be time to consider professional help if you intend to stray beyond the poles. Links on Page 1 for anyone interested. With the wind chill it will tend to be a bit Baltic!

Wednesday will start under a milky sky, this cloud will thicken trough the afternoon, maybe enough to give a shower or two of snow. The winds will ease so it will feel cold but not Baltic. Thursday looks similar to tomorrow with cloud thickening, showers are more likely in the afternoon. Friday is a mixed bag, bit to soon to be more specific.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
Been Diy-ing all day so I will leave tales of daring do to the rest of the World; but I note we have been playing bumper cars on the way down to Bourg.

Tomorrow morning will feel cold under a mainly clear sky. So we will see the sun, but perhaps a few clouds. The wind at altitude will still be brisk so still a lot of avalanche work to do. Inevitably there will be a lot of powder fever about, may be time to consider professional help if you intend to stray beyond the poles. Links on Page 1 for anyone interested. With the wind chill it will tend to be a bit Baltic!

Wednesday will start under a milky sky, this cloud will thicken trough the afternoon, maybe enough to give a shower or two of snow. The winds will ease so it will feel cold but not Baltic. Thursday looks similar to tomorrow with cloud thickening, showers are more likely in the afternoon. Friday is a mixed bag, bit to soon to be more specific.

Thanks as ever Chocksaway, fingers crossed for some better weather and more lifts/pistes open over the next few days
ski holidays
Absolutely wild weather first thing this morning... Shocked

Spent an hour from 08.00 digging out 200m of the main road out of the Val Claret car park. Otherwise it would have been impassable...Plan was to move the car down to the free Boisses car park and get the 09.15 bus back up.Missed any chance of that because of the time taken... Confused

Plan B into play: Parked for 2hrs (free) indoors in Le Lac; looked round the shops as the wind howled and blizzard raged. Then back up to Val Claret indoor parking for a couple of hours lapping the powder off Bollin lift this afternoon. Great fun despite awful visibility, as the wind had died down a bit.

Finally got the car moved down to the Boisses freebie car park. Pleased to get a space as it's so small - 25 to 30 places I reckon. A lot smaller than the old car park (next to the gondola), which is a bit dissppointing rolling eyes.

By about 16.00 the weather started to clear at Les Boisses - but only for 5 mins before if closed in again. It's gonna be epic when this storm clears - though it's anyone's guess what lifts might be open...

Haven't bought a ticket yet - made do with the free lifts so far as loathe to pay full wack today for 2 lifts (Tichot and Paquis). As it happens, the main runs off the Tichot Chair down to Val Claret looked like a battle ground at times - really busy...
ski holidays
They're currently piste bashing the other side of the mountain in Le Lac so it's looking good for Palafour and Chaudanes opening tomorrow
ski holidays
Clear skies, fresh powder, cold temperatures Smile

Enjoy but very careful Smile
snow conditions
Sounding like a WW1 battle field out there, with regular cannon shots booming round the valley. Looks windy up top on the glacier. However, I doubt we'll be able to delay buying a lift pass for very much longer.

snow report
Looks fantastic today - but (those who are lucky to be there) - do take care and have a great day! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Well that was worth the wait. Fantastic skiing on quiet piste.

Only issue was that the new La Daille gondola kept breaking down.
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:

Weight issue?
ski holidays
nelly0168 wrote:
GeorgeVII wrote:

Weight issue?

That's a bit rude?
latest report
^I was hoping @GeorgeVII would find it amusing...........I have never met the guy !!
snow conditions
It was only a winter's tale......

Yip winter arrived today, blue skies, sunshine, really quite cold, especially in the strong wind above 2500m. But there was lots of new snow and we found everything from quite light powder, to heavily compacted fresh snow, to areas where the wind had scoured the snow right down to an icy layer, every turn was different. Because the wind had been swirling around every turn was difficult, cat light reactions were required this morning.....

There was a bit of avalanche activity about, and also some of the terrain was a little different to last year, thanks to huge scoured snow holes, I would not like to be off piste in bad light at the moment. We did a couple of runs down Grattalu off piste and then down to La Daille twice - again massive variation in the conditions. The new Gondy is very Val D'Isere darling! It was a bit of a surprise to find the old Semanaille poma gone, shame really it used to be quite handy. Later we spent a bit of time around Borsat (best snow of day and Grand pre. As the package holiday season licks off next Saturday in earnest most of the pistes are in fantastic condition.

More good news: Aiguille Rouge and Chaudannes Chairs open tomorrow, the Brev and Boisses bubbles will open on Saturday (which is basically on schedule).

Tomorrow will feel similar to today, but there will be less breeze at altitude. The sun may be obscured by a thin layer of high cloud but that should disappear and be replaced with some fluffy clouds later. Thursday will also be cold but there is some disagreement between the models on the amount of cloud and the possibility of very light snow showers, hopefully there will be clarity tomorrow. Friday is a bit of a conundrum, its seems to be 50:50 between sunny or cloudy with showers, there is a weather system over the Gulf of Genoa which can't make up its mind how far north it wants to come. Saturday would appear to be nice in the morning with more cloud and a bit of wind in the afternoon. Stay tuned!

PS Still can't post photos!
ski holidays
Wow...wow...and wow again! An epic powder day in Espace Killy.

A slow start from Val Claret with Bollin and Tufs lifts delayed. Made the second Tichot chair at 09.00 to find the whole world in the queue behind us - then lunatic ESF instructors bombing past us, at totally ridiculous and dangerous speeds given the busy run...Didn't enjoy it at all.

Things soon improved - after a few powder runs off Bollin, saw Tufs lift had finally opened and popped over to feast on powder in Val D'Isere.

Had an absolutely amazing day, despite some wind blown crust in places. Hardly skied any pistes and were still getting fresh tracks in off Glacier Chair by we headed for home (ie Val Claret) at 15.30. Run of the day was skier's far right of said chair - powder turns galore all the way down to Borsat Chair. Almost heli-skiing without the heli Laughing

No-one at all on the home run from top of Olympic Gondola down to Tommeuses - and then very quiet from Toviere to Val Claret. Just a fantastic day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy.

Unfortunately, can't post pics from my phone... rolling eyes will add some at the weekend.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy