Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Cheers chocksaway Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Left Geneva this morning after clearing a couple of inches of snow of the car but by around Annecy not a flake.

As chocksaway mentioed we did still hit a few fuel demonstrations, the only one that slowed us down was at Albertville as only 2 lanes were open at the peage. They made sure people removed the teledoffers and tickets weren’t fed into the machines. Other places they just had banners and camps sent up but no hold ups.

In Val d’Isere today the snow cannons were all on. The new La Daille bubble was running and the signs were getting put up on the lift pass office.

The town is full of vans unloading stuff and heaps of cardboard boxes.
The new Garage restaurant next to the Gare Routiere was getting finished off and we ate a good lunch in La Source which is the old Sur la Montange.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Details of Val sector opening here...

https://www.valdisere.com/val-disere-ouvre-samedi-24-novembre-2018/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And as if these things are coordinated here's the not such good news from Tignes:

https://en.tignes.net/what-to-see-do/skiing/winter-ski-area

Basically the Glacier all the way down to Val Claret - but no links to the Val pistes. Clearly there is enough snow to ski to Marmottes chair but not down to Tommeuses or the La Daille Gondola. Expecting to see lots of cannons on Prariond so they can open a link to Bellvarde so Tignes folk can access it and return via Borsat.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway, so for those, like me arriving at the weekend, it seems there's likely to be a lot more skiing available on t'other side?
Is there a bus to and from Tignes and Val d'Isere?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway, Might be my memory playing tricks but did you once mention that there's free parking at Chambery/Grenoble/Lyon?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ray Zorro, Not sure when that starts - I will try and find out, the website is still showing the summer schedule.

@GeorgeVII, Chambery has a free car park:
http://www.chambery-airport.com/en/access/parking
Grenoble is €39,50 per week, Lyon - from €55 but that involves a bus journey a la Stansted, welcome to the real world of airport parking.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @chocksaway,. Just weighing up a weekend dash home (prob Fri to Mon) in January.

ps. It looks like the snow that was forecast for this afternoon has arrived on cue Very Happy .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very interesting re the Brev bubble.

I kept getting told it would end where the chair lift went to and then we would have to ski down to the current Boisses bubble, but clearly not!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The snow today doesn't look like it has settled well at the LeLac level. Grass still very green. Fingers crossed the dump is a little better over the weekend.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FrediKanoute, Live - its turning white slowly on the grass, it has cooled down 4 degs since mid morning. We have now disappeared in cloud so can't see a lot else.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FrediKanoute, its still November!!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 21-11-18 16:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will be in Val D in March (16-23) so have been spending more time than I should doing research.

Looking at the Tignes webcams today, the difference in snow coverage from Le Lac to Val Claret is huge. Why is that? The elevation looks to be only a 50m difference.

Only 4 months to go Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@xtr, Its down to aspect and snow cannons. A couple of weeks ago there was about 40cm of snow across the villages. This disappeared thanks to warmer temperatures, especially in the sun so the snow on Double M didn't melt as much. As that run on the VC webcam is the one down from the Glacier that gets the full force of the snow cannons to ensure its open, again the shade helps keep it that way.

It was all damp and light snow in the villages today and the sky did clear later on (for a bit). Reports from mates on the Glacier say the snow up there was lovely, they were treated to a powder run just as the sun came out and then the lifts shut. Tomorrow looks like a nice day and then Friday is cloudy with light snow through the day. The snow intensity will increase through the afternoon and into Saturday morning, how much is a conundrum as the various meteorological models are disagreeing as it is showery in nature. Hopefully 10cm, maybe a bit more, the snowline will be about at the Dam. Next week looks much colder and showery so all in all relatively positive for the first week in December.

Forgot to mention the new SuperU in Bourg is huge, and is still an ongoing project. But the whole shop slopes towards the tills so there are freeriding trolleys through the shop. I nearly got bowled over a the tills by one - its worse than Palafour on a Friday afternoon!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway,

The slopie floor in super u is great fun
ski holidays
@chocksaway,
Cheers.
Looking forward to Le Lac and Val Claret both looking very snowy, very soon Very Happy
snow conditions
@Ray Zorro, I have now procured the bus timetable for the Tignes Val Shuttle, annoyingly the evening service starts on Saturday but the day service (1010hrs and 1410 hours) doesn't start till 3 Dec. So unless they change it (unlikely as the links are not open and therefore the tariffs are reduced) its not much use.
More photos from my daunder round the village later and another 'end of an era'........ wink
ski holidays
@chocksaway, thanks. I did find the timetable myself in the end, though I'm wondering if the shuttle will still run in the evening from Saturday if the link isn't open - as presumably it is primarily there to ferry stranded skiers that end up in the wrong resort (which can't happen)?
ski holidays
I notice that on here:
https://www.valdisere.com/en/val-disere-opens-for-the-season-on-saturday-november-24-2018/

It says that at Tignes "Autumn lift pass rates continue until 30/11" So that may be a clue as to when the link may open...?
latest report
@Ray Zorro, The links will open as soon as they get enough snow. That could be Tuesday, if the forecast were for it to hammer down.

The bus link to/from Val isn't dependant on the snow links and runs all season. The queue in la Daille, for those that stayed at the Folie too long and missed Tommeuses, is often huge.
latest report
A pleasant day for a wander around the villages, it was cold and clear most of the day, the cannons have been whistling all day. The village is full of trucks carting heavy equipment and cranes away before the deadline tomorrow, though it looks like some will be pushing that envelope! The Grande Motte avenue has now been re tarmacked after the major works on the water and sewage networks.

Here's Double M this morning looking ready for the off on Saturday:

It also looks like they are trying to get Bollin open soonest for the beginners:

And just for honeybunney here's an up to date view of the works at Coco Rico, that punter proof glass looks v. heavy!

Back in Lac work is very much ongoing with our mini hydroelectricity generating station just below the Taos/Lac 2 Parking, as that stream runs all year it will make a worthwhile contribution.

And for the Bashers all the work in the hole that used to be the Alpaka has terminated and the slope has been reinstated to allow ski in access to Le Taos, when we have had another 20cm or so of snow.

And now for the 'end of an era' message, Jacks Club and The Bowling Alley has been sold for redevelopment and will be shut this season. For 30 or more years this cheesiest of night clubs has acted as a late night den of iniquity for punters and seasonnaires alike - I guess Tindr (or should that be Tignr?) usage will be on the rise Shocked Very Happy
snow report
Back with the weather, to be honest its all a bit confused beyond Sunday, and no forecast is showing any degree of confidence. There is a major battle between high and low pressure systems over eastern France next week so its anybody's guess what is going to happen. So to the more certain, tomorrow will be cloudy initially and the forst flocons will start after lunch when the wind will also start to pick up, perhaps this will curtail the Cable Car on The Grande Motte. The snow intensity will increase after dark and the wind will be gusty even in the villages. So that might leave some work for the pisteurs to do before opening on Saturday. Overall I think we are still in for around 10-15cm of snow. But the good news it will be a bit colder than was suggested yesterday so even Brev may be white on Saturday morning, which will be bright and sunny, but not too cold and there will be little wind so a grand first day (for standing in a queue I expect!). A few clouds will bubble up at altitude in the afternoon. Sunday looks like a nice day with sunny periods and fluffy clouds before showers on Monday (maybe!). After that it is really throw the dice for a forecast Shocked
ski holidays
It's looking set for a great first weekend!
snow report
@chocksaway, thanks for the update (and my personal pic!! Very Happy )

Looks like things are shaping up for an awesome opening day. It must be so exciting to be there when the lifts first start turning for the season.

I will watch wistfully on the webcams.

ps I never went to Jacks, I think I missed out!! Never got further than the Loop Bar when I stayed in Lavachet.
snow conditions
Val and tignes links above have both been updated.

https://www.valdisere.com/en/val-disere-opens-for-the-season-on-saturday-november-24-2018/ (google translated)
https://en.tignes.net/what-to-see-do/skiing/winter-ski-area

Val page now notes that the new La Daille gondola will be open for pedestrians, while Tignes are now planning to open Bollin tomorrow.
snow report
The Rosée Blanche has the green tables and chairs out all ready for the opening tomorrow
snow conditions
@muppet, Shame I can't get there!

The final packing up around the village continues at a pace. There is a lot of frantic work going on an the building near the Rosset lift, none of the ski school offices are finished and neither is the nursery but the new Kaya Restaurant opens on Sunday, the menu looks fantastic but then so do the prices, but the views from the terrace will be fab, a once a season treat perhaps.

They were working hard on Bollin this morning, it will be narrower than normal but none the less it will be open.

It has been snizzling all day but it has had little effect around the village, we are expecting the snowfall to pick up tonight, so hopefully the place will look like a ski resort in the morning for the kick off. As only us, next door and Val T are open in France, I am expecting long queues, depending on where the yellow jackets block the roads tomorrow - could be blissfully quiet!

The weather patterns over France are still very confused so in the words of Lena Martell its probably best to take it "One day at a time". I am still hoping for 10cm or snow overnight but since yesterdays musings it has warmed up a bit so the snowline will be around the Dam, it is quite gusty at altitude at the moment so there may be some blasting to do in the morning. It should be a day of sunny periods and fluffy clouds, quite warm for the time of year. Sunday looks like a mixed bag, nice in the morning and then clouding over with some light snow showers in the late afternoon/evening. Monday looks like being pleasant for most of the day with light snow showers in the evening. After that there is a tug of war going on between high pressure and low pressure and we are below the centreline. This means we haven't really a clue as to whats going to happen.

As its the first Friday of the season; lets pop over to the travel office. The UK looks dank and miserable in the morning so fog could be an issue at Birmingham and Glasgow and likely to be a problem at Luton and Stansted. Over here Geneva will be fine for flying, mist is unlikely to cause any delays at Lyon.. Good job Chambery is yet to start - it looks bad! The big problem will be 'les gilets jaunes' depending on where and how they decide to protest.
snow report
"next door" Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its a grand morning for the big 'bully off', unfortunately the heavier snow did not pass over us last night but we did get about 5 cm in the village and a bit more higher up. They are having to do a bit of preparation up there so am leaving it till late morning before venturing out, the lycra louts in the racing teams have early morning priority Very Happy

As the parking system has changed in the village I have been to the Tabac to buy my 'disque bleu' to show the arrival time when you stop in what used to be the 'minute tolere' parking slots. You now have a strict 30 mins, Sats and Suns seem to be exempt so the usual weekend carnage will continue!
ski holidays
Fornet is untracked powder. Amazing.
latest report
@bar shaker,

But are you going to put the first tracks in?

Unfortunately I have another 3 weeks to wait before I arrive in Val d'isere. However by then there should be enough snow to ski all the way to Village level. I'm looking forward to catching up with and skiing with the resident Brits in Val d'isere.

I hope it snows heavily in the next week for the friends who will be flying out there in a weeks' time.
ski holidays
And they're off!

Here's a shot from the top of the shop this lunchtime:

It was a grey start early doors but the skis soon cleared. It was a progressive opening of the Grande Motte as the pisteurs had a spot of work to do. Not much snow fell over night, so we left it till everything was open before heading out. It was not as busy as I thought it might be for Day 1 of the season and was unseasonably mild (which was nice). The snow all the way down to Val Claret (over 1300m of vertical) is generally in good condition, there is quite a lot of man made stuff and one or two of the pinch points are a bit narrow. We only had to queue a couple of minutes and managed to 'summit' just before lunchtime, the FFS were race training up there soo we had the place to ourselves when they went for lunch. They have rearranged the summit of the Grand Motte as you can see here you now get off the Cable Car on the high side:

Its all part of a grand plan, not sure what it achieves but it seemed to be less of a bunfight. You can just see one of the new cabins, not much to report really, but they seem to be a bit longer. Off piste is till very patchy so it was between the poles for us.. we did some one or two off piste and one or two sets of skis heading for the repair shop!

We have the Yeti Race around the village tomorrow which seems to be some kind of 'tough mudder on snow', there are lots of obstacles around but it would appear it includes sawing logs up, it is a team event, more tomorrow perhaps.

Right the weather is still in an awkward mood so I'll go no further than Wednesday! Tomorrow will start with sunny periods and mild temperatures, but it will progressively cloud over as a weak front approaches which will hopefully give us a few cm of snow tomorrow evening/night. It may however move south and give us nothing, if it moves a bit further north then we might get more, the models are even disagreeing on that. Monday will be mostly cloudy with maybe a hint of sun and perhaps some more light snow, but in a gusty wind. On Tuesday it all becomes uncertain, there are high pressure systems over Iberia and Norway and low pressure ones over the UK and Italy. These are ebbing and flowing like an accordion being played by a bloke in a beret after too much absinthe! So Tuesday looks like being mainly cloudy with the odd sunny period and maybe some gusty snow showers. On Wednesday there will be some weather, what depends on whether our accordionist is stood up or has finally succumbed to the 'worm'.

For those flying out on Sunday there appears to be very few snags, a bit showery in the UK, but nothing to worry about. There is a chance of early morning fog at Geneva which should have cleared before the UK flights arrive and, lets face it, its hardly high season! As for the protesters, they could be anywhere........Bonne chance
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Hopefully it won't be too much longer before the link opens.
Thanks for the photos and info on how the upgrades on the Grande Motte have progressed.

@welshflyer When exactly are you out? I'm on my own from 10 Dec for a week, so about for a ski or drink.
ski holidays
Another blue bird morning, mild with a bit of a breeze and not many folks on the slopes. The first surprise this morning happened when I opened Le Dauphiné on line and found out I had been nabbed by their 'stringer' in Tignes and was in a pic for the headline story. Bl00dy paps!

There was a lot of noise in the village for the Yeti race - lots of teams in very tight Lycra running around the villages and completing obstacle courses, archery, log sawing etc, not sure how they decide who has won.

The view from the top of the GM was stunning:

But gives you an idea where the snow is and isn't. Up there it is in very good condition, it is often very hard and not that enjoyable - not today! There is a couple of tricky bits, negotiating the top of Lanches to Vanoise (direct) particularly. But last night they had pisted the wide pitch alongside the Termignon T bar (the 3500 in old money) but because the racers were on different stades it was fab and yes this was taken about 12 o'clock:

Absolute mayhem!
wink To quote Delia "Where are ya?"

Through the morning the sky too the west clouded over and Mont Blanc donned his hat. By 2 the sky was obscured and we are expecting a few cm of snow tonight - with the emphasis on the few. Tomorrow will be cloudy with similar temps to today, the sun may stick its nose in in the morning for brief periods. There may be some very light snow showers from lunchtime onwards and into the evening. Tuesday looks like being cloudy with the odd sunny spell, depending on whose supercomputer you trust, the wind looks like picking up in the afternoon, perhaps shutting the top lifts. Our drunken accordion player is still swaying around, but Wednesday looks like being cloudy and windy and perhaps some snow showers particularly in the morning, the Swiss and the French are disagreeing on this (amongst other things). Currently, Thursday looks much warmer (yes I know) and sunny with fluffy clouds before the cool returns on Friday. But as ever with this type of weather system LOOTFW wink
ski holidays
Good evening,

I have two questions and would appreciate the expert opinions please.

How's it looking in Val D'Izzle for a week from the 2nd of December?

Is there enough snow already and will there be plenty open to ski?

Muchas gracias,

Sean1967
snow report
There is already a lot of piste skiing in Val D'Isere and we would not need much more snow for there to be more over there and much more in Tignes,

If you go here it will tell you exactly what's open in real time tomorrow:

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

For off piste I would forget it until we have a half metre dump or more, unless you have an inexhaustible supply of skis and knees!
snow conditions
PS I forgot to mention it has been snowing very lightly for 4 hours. There's only 3 or 4 cm outside but it will mean that most of the slopes will be white and therefore reflect most of any sun. This will allow more effective snowmaking when it's cold enough.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
PS I forgot to mention it has been snowing very lightly for 4 hours. There's only 3 or 4 cm outside but it will mean that most of the slopes will be white and therefore reflect most of any sun. This will allow more effective snowmaking when it's cold enough.

Thank you.

That's top top live insight right there.

Are the runs down to the town open? Are they stoney?

I've a new pair of Dobermanns planned and wouldn't want to rip the back bottom out of them on their maiden week.

Cheers

Sean1967
ski holidays
@chocksaway, yes a general view on whether to bring new skis next week or whether to bring an old pair due to the conditions on the run back would be grately appreciated. I note you say the off piste is still ropey, so I think the piste/race skis will be in order and I will have a selection anyway in the roof box, but good to know where to focus it.

Thanks
snow report
Hi all, am wondering if any Val d'Isere insiders could offer some non-biased knowledge about where to go for ski rental that won't bankrupt us for a fortnight in January? We're coming from NZ and don't fancy lugging 3 pairs of skis (though we might have to) around Europe, and stops en route. Our apartment's owner has made a suggestion but they seem to stock mainly touring skis, which might be great for a couple of days, but potentially not 14. We're quite picky about our gear, and will have our own boots.

Also welcome would be any suggestions for off-piste/out of bounds guides who speak English well (our level of French ranges from shameful to non-existent) and are highly safety conscious (our teenage daughter is coming with us). Maybe also ski schools, for a 3-day clinic type thing, potentially.

I have been trawling through your forums in the last few days, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy