Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Jobs finished, including putting up a picture that's 150cm wide - had to concentrate to get that level! It clouded over ths afternoon, may get a thunderstorm later. That looks to be the pattern for the next 3 days, still it was nice to have coffee by the lake at the Terrachu.

Despite all the hustle and bustle ahead of Le Tour work goes on, you can see them lifting all the chairs back onto the Almes chairlift after their servicing:

Now all back on, bit monotonous!

The not such could news is the hot weather has pickled the Glacier so they announced it will shut for skiers tomorrow afternoon, about 10 days earlier than planned. Grande Motte will still be open for pedestrian visits.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blue skies this morning but the predicted thunderstorms arrived this afternoon (but then they have been predicted for a few days now!). It started hailing just before the Tour is due to arrive tomorrow......

So I popped out to try some new walking boots - to the top of Chuadannes and back via the Jam Bar. It was hot even at 9.30 - but plenty to look at, some of the wild flowers are past their best, up higher there are still lots though. Loads of crickety things and butterflies too. Only saw one Marmotte - must be a bit warm for them.

This contraption was fascinating as it crabbed its way up and down a very steep slope below the Waterworks buildings, looks like they are laying a new pipe. It rests on its bucket and then the hydraulic legs move, quite mesmerising - a real life Transformer:

The Girls were very busy on Stage 2 of producing Beaufort Alpage:

Meanwhile they are busy building a shed for the Boisses Bubbles on the Marais Plateau - they seem to have survived for a few years....?

There are similar works at the bottom in Brev, where a whole new welcome area is being built.

Just hope it stops raining - due in Lavachet at 7 for a Brit Team meal, the buses stop shortly!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The thing I like about Tignes is that it's so snow-sure... Smile Hope no-one hurt tho' (landslides mentioned in other coverage).

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2019/tour-de-france-2019-huge-drama-as-blizzard-cancels-stage-finish-and-bernal-surges-into-yellow_sto7389169/story.shtml
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Talk about letting the air out of the balloon. Everybody is ok and the road has been cleared. The ultimate irony is the glacier closed yesterday due to lack of snow! We were less than 2 miles awaybsat on the terrace drinking beer....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
Talk about letting the air out of the balloon. Everybody is ok and the road has been cleared. The ultimate irony is the glacier closed yesterday due to lack of snow! We were less than 2 miles awaybsat on the terrace drinking beer....

Tignes and the Tour is fated never to happen - remember a few years back when the finish was in Tignes and the TV helicopter lost transmission just before the dam?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GreenDay, I was there for that one too - perhaps I should stay away!

So it was one of those days that will go down in the history of cycling. There was a huge buzz in the village this morning, big crowds to be seen around the big screen:

I watched the start of the race at home and then set off for the Terrachu, a handy road side venue. As the caravane arrived the sky was very black over Sassiere:

But the floats and associated airborne tat were all very jolly:

Yes they are even sponsored by loo cleaner!:

But then The Sassiere disappeared:

So we retired to the bar and the telly, fully expecting the race to appear in a pint or so's time. How wrong we were. There was confusion and ultimately a huge feeling of deflation, what should have been the biggest day of the summer suddenly didn't happen, such a shame.

But I took this picture of the Sass a few hours later (into the Barbie at L'Embu) =- and the snow is still there:

And the road had issues later as you can see from the traffic jam:

In the words of Capt Darling "I put a note in my diary today. It simply says Bug ger"

Night Night!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few images from today:

www.bobski.org/TDF1.JPG
www.bobski.org/TDF2.JPG
www.bobski.org/TDF3.JPG

which kinda explain the race curtailment rather well.

Just while I'm on, I'd like to express my indebtedness to you, @chocksaway, for all you posts over the last few winters. A real 'go to' place for what the weather is doing during the season along with so much else. My only regret is that two (long) seasons into Espace Killy I've not sought you out for a wee ski. Will try to fix that next winter (if you are willihg). Will be based in Les Brev. over the coming winter as in 2018 along with a bit of autumn pre-season training on the glacier. Last winter was in Hameaux in Val (race being stopped right on my old front door!).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, hope the head isnt too bad this morning !!

I note that the stage today has been (massively) abbreviated due to landslides along the proposed route.

This will be of little comfort to the Tignes council, but I guess confirms that this was unavoidable and the right decision was made.

@bobski62, that first photo shows just how bad it was !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'd like to express my indebtedness to you, @chocksaway, for all you posts over the last few winters. A real 'go to' place for what the weather is doing during the season along with so much else.

Hear hear. I don't particularly like Tignes, but I love this thread. Thank you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks folks. Bob I'm sure we can sort something out!

Shocking weather this morning, afternoon spent watching the tour on the box. Even had to put a jumper on in the apt!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway,
Will Tignes be lobbying the Tour for compensation or an early return to Tignes? I'm assuming the commune went to a lot of expense for an event they never had.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kenzie, I thought the same - maybe a return next year ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kenzie, Surely the all the hotel rooms were still booked and used, beers drank etc? That's a significant reason for any commune to host the Tour.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kenzie, @albob, Don't know - my spy in the camp was clamped to the phone when I tried to get an insight.

@leggyblonde, Not really, the reason places spend a fortune is for the advertising, the helo shots being the most important. The hotels were not that busy, the teams feed themselves and most of the spectators arrive on the day or live in tents and camper vans. In 2007 the only man to make money was the Chalet du Pain, he went down the road ringing his bell. Most of the rest are self sufficient, I have seen vans at Dutch corner with Dutch reg plates full of bottled water, they consume nothing on the economy. As it was the majority of the name checks on TV were for next door!

Well the weather has improved - summer is back. Sunday lunch by the lake was sunday lunch inside the restaurant by the lake. Lo Terrachu.

But before committing sport I did a trip to the Dechetterie - I can now get in my cave. Earliest pair of skis in there were 1993 vintage!

I drove up the summer road from Brev where the Tour should have been, this is the new Base Station at Brevieres being constructed, loos, ticket office, ski school etc:

And this is where the mudslide finished up after blocking the road, in the car park/ice driving circuit.. Spot the van at the back up to its axles:

After lunch I walked up Trolles, down H and back round the lake, how the south facing 'hanging glacier' survives is a bit of a mystery to me (must be the shape of the bowl that catches a lot of snow) as its base is only slightly higher than the tongue of the Grande Motte Glacier near Vanoise).

As I was walking I could hear this thing coming by the thwack of the blades you could tell it was a no messing helicopter of more correctly: synchropter. Its a Kaman K Max (thanks Google) and lifts about twice what the Twin Squirrels, that dash around here normally, can. It spent the afternoon bringing big bits of the Aiguille Percée Chair down for servicing.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here's the mud slid into the Brev car park. http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=vids&id=5281#vidPreview

Such a shame, especially as it was 28degC and sunny the day before.
latest report
Another glorious day, so 5 of us went for a yomp from the bottom of the Manchet Chair to the Refuge du Fond Des Fours (about 200m above the most extreme skiers left route from the Cugnai Chair down to Manchet. Lots of wildflowers and we heard lots of Marmottes but saw this one close up playing behind the Refuge:

Grand Views:

And a grand omelette, from the chickens they keep up there - but they were camera shy so no pics of the working ladies!

ski holidays
It started nice and then thin cloud worked its way up the valley, but it was soon above 2800m and went by 11! I went for a quick walk up to the Lacs du Chardonnet before clearing up ahead of the Grand Depart tomorrow. Not a lot to report but here is one of the Lacs at the foot of Couloir du Lac, wonder how many people ski down there blissfully unaware if an avalanche breaks the ice:

And continuing the theme of Tignes - My family and other animals here's the local sheeps:

snow report
Season pass prices are out and it seems to include autum and summer glacier access

https://www.valdisere.ski/en/pass-saison
ski holidays
muppet wrote:
Season pass prices are out and it seems to include autum and summer glacier access

Just ordered ours. Thanks for the heads up.
snow conditions
muppet wrote:

Plus 2 free days in St Foy and 2 days 'preferential rate' in La Rosiere.
snow report
Having had a look there the 2 resorts have now harmonised their prices and a season pass is now for the year (autumn to end summer - there are no just winter passes), so no need for Tignites to order from the Val D'Isere website, handy if you lose it etc as you can just pop to the office. I'm guessing that summer skiing is now not that attractive some money is better than no money wink

Meanwhile Altibus from Geneva have a 15% discount if you book between 19 Aug and 28 Sep 19.
ski holidays
But Tignes has lost its 'stolen week' at the end of the season (though it has been reducing from week to days over the last few seasons).
snow report
^^^ please explain Kenzie... Puzzled (No idea what you are referring to....)
snow conditions
The season pass bought from STGM used to expire a week later than one bought from STVI - hence Tignes had a weeks extra skiing.
ski holidays
They're busy making a right old dog's breakfast of the bottom of the orange run in La Daille. Building a new hotel attached to Tuffs, and seemingly blocking off ski access to the bubble from the bottom of Orange. I have a pic if someone can tell me how to post it.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
They're busy making a right old dog's breakfast of the bottom of the orange run in La Daille. Building a new hotel attached to Tuffs, and seemingly blocking off ski access to the bubble from the bottom of Orange. I have a pic if someone can tell me how to post it.

They are building a basement for the hotel extension. It will be covered over again before the start of the season and won't affect access to the La Daille lift.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

As I was walking I could hear this thing coming by the thwack of the blades you could tell it was a no messing helicopter of more correctly: synchropter. Its a Kaman K Max (thanks Google) and lifts about twice what the Twin Squirrels, that dash around here normally, can. It spent the afternoon bringing big bits of the Aiguille Percée Chair down for servicing.

interesting, never seen one before. Saw this on Youtube.

http://youtube.com/v/uAQpslSWKf4
snow report
So we were thinking of taking next summers holidays in Tignes late July early August to sample some of the outdoors activities

So I’ve been keeping my eye on the iPhone weather app, location set as Tignes

Temps on there haven’t reflected what’s talked about on here, mainly 18 degrees but plenty of times dipping to 15s and occasionally early 20s (daytime) which I thought was way to cold to me mucking about in a glacial lake

What’s the real picture please, are the summers hot at 2000m ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s showing sunny and 14c today btw
latest report
Central Region still 25c so may still with a Eurocamp below the Loire
snow report
@up4it, If there isn't any wind, the air in the valleys (such as Val d'I or Tignes) gets really warm. My GF was out in Val last weekend and it was mid twenties every day, with no wind.

If it's windy, the temps can be 10degC cooler.

If you are mucking about in the lakes, I would take a wetsuit. The water in the rivers feeding them is rarely anything other than bitterly cold.
ski holidays
Stock phrase: For a summer holiday in Tignes think of it like the Lake District but 5 degrees warmer or 2 or 3 colder.

Oh and use a higher factor sun cream. Don't even think of going on the lake without a wetsuit
ski holidays
I thought that tbh, but the Tignes website suggested hot summers with a cooling breeze spent by the lake and then talk on here of boiling hot days made me wonder

I suppose Chamonix would be a better bet but I’ll stick with the Loire
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Stock phrase: For a summer holiday in Tignes think of it like the Lake District but 5 degrees warmer or 2 or 3 colder.

Oh and use a higher factor sun cream. Don't even think of going on the lake without a wetsuit

Can vouch for this advice.
latest report

It’ll probably be melted by the weekend but still...
snow conditions
Melted?! Naaahhh!! That's winter setting in! wink

Fingers crossed for wall to wall powder from November to May Very Happy
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
wall to wall powder from November to May Very Happy

Wall to wall Puzzled Does this mean Tignes has installed the indoor slope at Val Claret that was mooted a couple of years ago? snowHead
ski holidays
Hello! Long time lurker first time poster.

Looking for recommendations for a nice lunch in Tignes on Christmas Day. Suitable for 2 Adults and a child and ideally a dog. Le lac area ideally.

Secondly dog related, any local ish vets for the pre return to uk check up and sign off?

Thanks!
snow report
Djgrahamd wrote:
Hello! Long time lurker first time poster.

Looking for recommendations for a nice lunch in Tignes on Christmas Day. Suitable for 2 Adults and a child and ideally a dog. Le lac area ideally.

Secondly dog related, any local ish vets for the pre return to uk check up and sign off?

Thanks!

I am sure Tignes resident Chocsaway will be along soon, but I imagine that https://www.laqueuedecochon-tignes.com/ is the spot for you. Its in Lavachet, but great food and lovely hosts.

You probs need to book early.
ski holidays
Our neighbours in Tignes travel back and forth with their dog on a regular basis. They have to go down to Bourg to see the vet. I don’t think there is one any closer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy