Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Safe trip back Chocs.

We are also out for the TdF and by all accounts Val and Tignes are going to be busy.

Just an excuse for some summer hiking for me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers Chocks, see you in the summer, our newest beer should be out by then!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@timlongs, will it be in a yellow tin with wheels on it?

The export delivery has made it to Zeebrugge wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just as forecast this morning, bright sunny spells, more overcast by lunchtime and its just started snowing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don’t really know what to expect when we come out on the 26th, hopefully there’ll still be something to do
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The snow was so good last week up above the first stations I wouldn't worry that there'll be plenty to ski up4it - lower runs will be slushy, but I was amazed at how little any of the runs were showing signs of rocks or dirt. Unless something has changed dramatically this week, I suspect you'll have remarkably decent snow for such a late April visit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@up4it, great conditions again today. Wall to wall sunshine:)
Superb pistes in the morning followed by slushy bumps in the afternoon Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
upt@up4it, dont be concerned there's plenty high up in great condition. Slushy bumps are fun any way
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the updates and weather reports @chocksaway, I will hopefully make it to the EK next season!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the running commentary chocksaway - much appreciated
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wahay

Snow ❄️ in the horizon for our last weekend of the season trip next Friday
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@up4it, I'm pretty sure that there'll be plenty of snow on Trolles anyway. The pisteurs have just triggered a series of slides from above the final section leading into Le Lac. We were watching from Lavachet and the slide tracks reached at least as far as the nursery slope. The Loop Bar terrace would have had a great view.

Started to feel a bit cooler this afternoon as the cloud cover thickened. To throw in an old chesnut........ the best conditions are to be found on the higher slopes.

And a quick Spring Watch note. Marmots aplenty now. Spotted a lone eagle twice last week. Also a pair of Vultures (Gypaete) circling high above the centre of Le Lac. Lovely to see Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway, thanks for another season of valuable info on Tignes and EK.
As often the case, the season looks like ending on a high, with fresh snow and proper winter temperatures.
Wish I was there snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone know how long the lifts stay open and where’s the best place to check on conditions in tignes ?

Thinking about a last minute trip.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rom77, Too late, closed on the 5th.
snow conditions
Anyone gone up on the glacier during the summer ? What’s that like ?
latest report
I dragged the girlfriend to Tignes last summer and spent one morning on the glacier. Well, that was the plan anyway.

The funicular was scheduled to open shortly after 7 but due to an electrical storm the night before, they had issues and it didn't get going until gone 9 and there was quite a back-up of people to get up there by then.

In theory, it's open until 1pm, but the majority of people were leaving by midday.

I was clearly a little bit unlucky, and there were lots of serious skiers there doing their summer training, but you might want to check this page out for more info.

I'm thinking of trying Les Deux Alpes this summer though! Cool
snow report
Rom77 wrote:

Thinking about a last minute trip.

Hintertux among others in austria still open and conditions good. Engelberg too.
snow report
We've skied the Tignes glacier in summer regularly for about 12 years Rom77.

The snow is excellent when the glacier opens in late June and is usually still pretty decent through July. Snow cover does reduce throughout the summer and, nowadays, the glacier closes in early August to preserve the snow. By then it can look quite bare and grey - but can still offer reasonable skiing.

There can be up to 20km of piste available.

Expect groomed hardback if you are up there from the 07.15 opening, with the snow softening as the sun gets on it. On hot days, you can be skiing soft snow to mush lower down by about 10.00.

We really enjoy it though - it's just great to be out skiing in the Alps in high summer. And we've skied a few cm of powder a few times up to late July.

Would say it's definitely worth a go - and definitely beats sunbathing on a beach Very Happy.
snow report
Late July 2018 (after epic snow season) there was enough coverage and stockpiling to ski all the way down to the bottom of Vanoise chairlift. It would have been excellent if it had not been for the absence of a working GM cable-car. Presumably they were getting it ready for the long periods of inaction this season Very Happy Even without the cable car we really enjoyed ourselves and will be back this summer.
ski holidays
As @Grinning, the lack of cable car last summer put a dent in it for us and we didn't ski. I have done the two years before though.

Unless you have a race pass and can queue jump, one morning will be more than enough for most people. Mere mortals will spend 70% of the time in drag lift queues.

Doing the top of the cable car to the lowest drag is good fun though and well worth the lift queues.
latest report
@bar shaker, The only people who are allowed to queue jump are members of the French team.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@bar shaker, The only people who are allowed to queue jump are members of the French team.

Sadly not the case when I have been there. Every jerry with a bib was jumping the queue.
ski holidays
Seems like the heat-wave (la canicule) has arrived has got to 2100m - it was 30 degs on the Terrace at The Terrachu by the lake yesterday Shocked Suspect Tignes might be a bit busy this weekend
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Seems like the heat-wave (la canicule) has arrived has got to 2100m - it was 30 degs on the Terrace at The Terrachu by the lake yesterday Shocked Suspect Tignes might be a bit busy this weekend

Heading out to Val d'Isere tomorrow and just repacked to include flip flops and a sundress.
latest report
muppet wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Heading out to Val d'Isere tomorrow and just repacked to include flip flops and a sundress.

Is your apartment finished now?

We are out for the Tour and have friends staying in, some with us some in your building. It will be our first visit this summer, really looking forward to it.
snow report
@bar shaker, Just back.
Ours is more or less finished. Thermostats to put on (we opted for app enabled so waiting on them) and ceramic hob which they don’t want damaged.
snow report
Just had a lovely few days in Val d’Isere. The weather was amazing and the heat intense even in town but a lot better than Geneva which was 39 after leaving the airport.
The Chamois motorbike rally was on in town and another prestige car rally down in Bourg St Maurice/Aime.
A lot of building work going on in town and Tufs in La Daille now has no roof or terrace.

It was hot at 11am on Saturday so a trip up the Solaise was needed.

A nice walk round Lac Ouilette where a fair number of trout had been caught

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HI, I just booked a centrally placed chalet in Val d'Isere but without parking space. Thing is that we are going in a high season: 15.02.2020 - 22.02.2020. Any tips in regads to finding low-cost parking space? I am literally leaving the car for a week without touching it after dropping family off in the chalet.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 4-07-19 10:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
HI, I just booked a centrally placed chalet in Val d'Isere but without parking space. Thing is that we are going in a high season: 15.02.2020 - 22.02.2020. Any tips in regads to finding low-cost parking space? I am literally leaving the car for a week without touching it after dropping family off in the chalet.
ski holidays
@barrosPL, your options are as the Val d'Isere parking website... https://www.parkingvaldisere.com/#/mobile-payment/offstreet/valdisere/home

The cheapest is P5 but your car will be out in the open and may be difficult to clear of snow and ice when you want to leave. There is a bus stop for the free buses next to this car park. P1 is the nearest to the centre of town, but also the most expensive.

I would strongly recommend pre booking and paying for a space (especially if using one in the centre of town), as the car parks get full and the tow away trucks are very efficient. Even P5 gets full in mid Feb.
ski holidays
OR pay only for parking on arrival day (to drop your luggage) & the night before your departure (to load your luggage). Or don't pay at all if your flight times permit. Just ski from and back to the parked car during lift opening hours.

For all days in between arrival and departure, move the car to a free car park at Tignes Les Boisses (not very big so may not be space) OR Tignes Les Boisses (massive - hundreds of spaces).

Just make sure you allow time to dig the car out if it's snowed - although Les Brevieres is the lowest bit of Espace Killy (1500m) so doesn't get quite as much snow as higher up. It's worth digging it out a few days early if there has been a big dump.

You will drive past Les Brevieres on the way up to Val D, so can suss out a space.
snow report
@barrosPL, The newish under cover car park at Le Cret has been a good value option the past 2 seasons. It’s fine if you’re just droping off at your chalet then parking up for the week, probably just 2 stops max on the bus back to where you need to be or a 5/10mins walk. Really think about whether a 10/15€ saving between covered or exposed is worth it. Its possibly a few hours aquiring a shovel and clearing your car prior to departure at the end of your holiday if you have snow during the week.
Bookings and prices for parking usually open mid November.
snow report
Quote:
It's possibly a few hours aquiring a shovel and clearing your car...
Or pack a lightweight one from a cheapy shop in the UK (with handle removed for separate packing) in your luggage/ski (or board) bag.... wink....and save €70-€80 per week by parking in a free car park.
snow report
Hi all,

Booked flights for next January yesterday and trying to decide on where to go. We arrive in Geneva on Friday 17th at 20.30 and leave on Sunday 26th at 21.05, that way we max out our time for one weeks holiday and get 9 days skiing.

Have found a nice looking airbnb studio in Le Lac, at a very reasonable price, but my issue is around transfers.

Are there any shared transfers on a Friday night late? Probably not leaving until 21.30ish. Ideally I don't want to hire a car, but I fear that might be the only option...

Appreciate it's still quite early for bus times but any advice greatly received! We can get a Bens bus back on the Sunday, it's just the Friday that I think will be problematic.
snow conditions
Np buses that late on a Friday, the timetables haven't changed for donkeys years. You could try Snowdrone who do shared bookable transfers. Not sure if they have loaded next season. Other than that any shares that come up will be much more last minute. As a hire car will be a lot (inc €80 for parking) you could consider a budget hotel at GVA and get the first bus up on Sat with Bens bus or Altibus
latest report
+1 for SnowDrone.

Used them a few times for my commute to and from the UK last season.
Sometimes after arriving late into GVA. Saved the hassle of driving and not much more expensive after taking into account parking at GVA for a week etc.
snow conditions
Arrived back at the top of the stairway to heaven this afternoon, 35 degs in Bourg, a jolly pleasant 25 up here. Tour prep is now in full swing. Lots of building going on, but the timeless elements such as cows grazing on the 'alpage' remind us its not all about tourism. Enough philosophy for tonight - fuller reports during the week after a long sleeeeeeep!
ski holidays
@chocksaway,
What's the snow looking like on the glacier? It doesn't look too good on the webcam.
ski holidays
It doesn't look good from the Brasero terrace either. Chatted to a couple of Brit instructors down there who said it really isn't worth it unless the forecast thunderstorms are snow up there later this week. But the open top telepherique ride is quite something evidently.

The Glacier does look better than the Bergerie on the Palafour Gallery though, not so much damage inside. Seemingly someone left a fag burning on the windowsill Shocked

This is the crane that woke me up at 7 this morning, no chance of being woken up by the tinkling of cowbells when the Alpaka 2 works start at an ungodly hour:

Much decoration done today at Chez Chocks, another day and then I should be able to go and do some energetic!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy